Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Joe_Soap

esel wrote: »
    Important to correct two errors here. A new car is described as one under six months old or one which has done less than 6000km. If importing such a 'new' car, you can either not pay the UK VAT, or get it refunded if it has been paid.

Comprehensive (1400+ pages!) thread on importing cars from UK in Motors forum.

Do you know what value the Irish VAT is calculated on? i.e. the amount you paid in £ converted to Euros, OR like VRT some market value here?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Joe_Soap wrote: »
    Do you know what value the Irish VAT is calculated on? i.e. the amount you paid in £ converted to Euros, OR like VRT some market value here?

I know when you are importing a car from japan the vat is charged on the price you paid for the car plus shipping costs.Look on the motors board there is a huge thread on there which has all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭kingshankly

There are actually 4 Dunnes in Dundalk.

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=17.

The newest one "Neighbourhood SC" is in Muirhevnamor.

Sad to see Superquinn go but looks like it's just a sign of the times. Living in Dundalk I have never seen the attraction of going North at least for the everyday stuff bread butter milk etc.
    only 3 dunnes are grocery but it is crazy the amount of supermarkets there is also 2 aldis 2 tescos one of which is going to be renovated to a larger tescos a lidl plus the soon to be gone superquinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

BBC NI did a story from Dundalk today about the closure of SQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Last time I was there Sainsburys were doing €1 for £1.

Argos are quite cheap, But they're rate is not so good.

GameStop/HMV are just.. STAY AWAY.

Zavvi is well.. It's OK.. Surprised it is actually open though :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Got 94 on the visa a few days after i bought stuff in the sales. Argos were offering 90p to the that day. Went across the road debenhams were at parity. This was just b4 new yr when rate was good. The rate is improving again everyday so i'd say the mass exodus will start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Going up to Belfast tomorrow from Dublin, what's the traffic like through Newry these days, should I leave early to avoid tailbacks or has all that pre-Christmas rush died down now?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

I'm planning to buy a Samsung or Sony LCD in Newry, will the warranty be valid in Ireland? If I notice something wrong in the TV, do I need to carry it all the way back to North for repair/replacement or do they collect from my house? Some the UK online sites are talking about 5 yr extended warranty, how does this work in south?

Thanks
    G

You will have to return it to the north.

Some people here were complaining that certain UK chains that trade in the south would not accept faulty stuff bought in the north. They are under no obligation to accept returns from the north so you will have to return them to the point of purchase.

As regards to the extended warranty you will need to read the small print.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

guessaname wrote: »
    I'm planning to buy a Samsung or Sony LCD in Newry, will the warranty be valid in Ireland? If I notice something wrong in the TV, do I need to carry it all the way back to North for repair/replacement or do they collect from my house? Some the UK online sites are talking about 5 yr extended warranty, how does this work in south?

Thanks
    G

Your statutory rights are what you get with every piece of equipment. That basically means if it goes faulty within a reasonable period of time the retailer (you bought it from) has to repair / replace / refund. Generally you have to get it back to where you bought it from.

Warranty is what the manufacturer adds on as a bonus. So if there's a 5 year warranty it'll say where you have to return it to and who covers the costs for shipping. A lot of manufacturers have worldwide warranties or will pick up the item or arrange a repair guy to come out to you. So the answer is read the warranty that comes with your item.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Littleguy

Folks I wouldn't be worrying about traffic or having to return to Newry or anywhere North of the border to bring things back, when the prices are what they are.
    I bought a Lexmark X4650 Printer in Argos in Newry last night. £63.61, at current exchange rate, thats a little over €67.
    The SAME printer in the SAME shop "Argos" in Dublin is currently €181.
    Now can someone please tell me, What the hell is going on ????
    I bought all the food and nappies I need for my son for the next 6 weeks, 8 bottles of wine - good wine, 20 bottles of beer, various shaving, shower etc. products and 120 cigarettes.
    My total bill for the evening - £195.90 or €207.44 (yesterdays exchange rate).
    There are different VAT rates, exchange rates, shop charges etc. and any other argument you would like to put to me, but you would have to be mad to see that there are major, and very serious discrepencies.
    I usually go to Sprucefield, where believe it or not, the sainsburys is cheaper again on some items.
    What's more is that everyone I have had the pleasure to deal with up there are incredibly helpful and dedicated - even if it's finding you a 6 pack of crisps.
    I'm sorry Mr. Cowen for the trouble you find yourself in, I'm sorry for those who are losing their jobs all over the country, but I refuse to spend any more money in this country and I would advise you all to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ukpoker

ukpoker wrote: »
    The new Argos catalogues are out...

We picked up one in Argos at the Square in Tallaght and one in Newry while shopping at Sainsburys for price comparisons...

The back cover tells you all you need to know about rip-off Ireland.

30% difference in prices if you assume £/€ parity (which is getting close again).

Bumpity Bump!!

Why are you bumping? Are you an argos shill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

mad m wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a Fatboy bean bag up North?

I wouldn't mind getting one of these myself anyone know where to get them for good price up north?? I will be heading up soon need to stock up on magners/bulmers my local Spar is charging 2.69 per can:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Littleguy wrote: »
    What's more is that everyone I have had the pleasure to deal with up there are incredibly helpful and dedicated - even if it's finding you a 6 pack of crisps.
    Amen to that Brother. The staff of any Norn Iron shop we go to are always polite, curious and pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

Just back from my weekly shop in Asda Downpatrick.
    I went through Newry at 2pm.
    The town centre was busy but not manic.
    It took 10mins to clear Newry not many southern cars about.
    Arrived in Asda Downpatrick very quiet only saw one southern reg car in carpark.
    Asda have some great deals in their rollback promo e.g.

Kellogs Bran Flakes 500g £1
    5 pack Snickers £1

Staff as usual very friendly and helpfull.

Booze has gone up in price but still much cheaper than here
    1Ltr Bacardi 17.47 it is 30euro here.

Popped into Argos next door and bought a Kenwood Prospero Kitchen Machine
    for £146.39.Price in my local Argos 237.99.??????
    The return journey was very quiet only took 5mins to clear Newry noticed more southern cars heading into Newry from the south but not that many.

I have been shopping in the north for years and have no qualms about it,as we in the south have been shafted for years.Until the retailers in the south wake up I will continue to do so.

I live in Meath cost in diesel less than 15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Picked up my favorite pasta sauces(Llyod Grossman) in Asda in Belfast for £1 a jar yesterday. They cost €2.39 down here. Also Sensodyne toothpaste was £1.39 a tube - €3.39 down here. For those with bad breath I picked up a 750ml botttle of Retardex in Superdrug for £7.68. Its nearly €13 down here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

any suggestions on a bricks and mortar computer store up there, so i can do some research before i buy?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Currys, pc world?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

greenman09 wrote: »
    Currys, pc world?

thanks, checking those ones already, any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Gozer wrote: »
    Just back from my weekly shop in Asda Downpatrick.
    I went through Newry at 2pm.
    The town centre was busy but not manic.
    It took 10mins to clear Newry not many southern cars about.
    Arrived in Asda Downpatrick very quiet only saw one southern reg car in carpark.

How long did it take from Newry to Downpatrick - I know the road quite well but have only travelled it early mornings anytime I did the trip without traffic (going to see the motorbikes racing in Bishopscourt up the road from Downpatrick)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

What time does Asda open on a Sunday ? Which is the closest Asda to go to ? My wife wants to go to Enniskillen....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

2qk4u wrote: »
    What time does Asda open on a Sunday ?
    1 PM - 6 PM

2qk4u wrote: »
    Which is the closest Asda to go to ? My wife wants to go to Enniskillen....
    If we knew where you lived it would help :D

For the millionth time 1pm to 6pm on a sunday.

For the nearest asda see http://www.asda.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bond-007 wrote: »
    For the millionth time 1pm to 6pm on a sunday.

For the nearest asda see http://www.asda.co.uk
    na na na na na. I beat you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 elle150

I bought a FM transmitter for my ipod up in Currys in Newry. I decided I wanted to get the belkin fm transmitter instead. Brought it back (box not even opened) to currys in Liffey valley. The couldn't exchange it for another one because they don't have the system to exchange sterling goods for euro goods.:eek:

A friend of mine bought a laptop up the north aswell. it had a faulty, brought it back to pc world liffey. Again, like my situation they told my friend that she had to go back up the north to pc world where she bought it and get them to sort it out. :eek:

Lesson to be learned: Don't buy electrical goods in Northern Ireland If you want some come back. What seemed to be a bargained at first, turn out to be an expensive mistake for my friend.:(

Why would you think that currys in the south would help you? Or PC world?

Your contract is with the shop where you purchased it. Take it back there instead.

If you buy in Northern Ireland you have the full warranty, saying you have no comeback is very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

does anyone know how much the playstation4's ar in Currys up north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

How long did it take from Newry to Downpatrick - I know the road quite well but have only travelled it early mornings anytime I did the trip without traffic (going to see the motorbikes racing in Bishopscourt up the road from Downpatrick)

35 minutes max.
    I was taking it handy and there was some traffic but nothing major.
    There was a police speed check coming down the long hill into Castlewellan in the 40mph zone.
    Funny enough going to bike races years ago in Bishopscourt was how I also got to know the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ChicaWeen

hi does anyone know is there a H&M clothes store in Newry?

Advertisement