Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

either way sterling is likely to continue its slide once that uncertainty is cleared up

Sterling up 8% from 98p to 90p since this day last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

consultech wrote: »
    Sterling up 8% from 98p to 90p since this day last week.
    Good maths :rolleyes:

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Good maths :rolleyes:

Give or take. 8.163 then. Quite pedwanktic of you, although I get the feeling you thought I was way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Nice comeback :)

consultech wrote: »
    Give or take. 8.163 then. Quite pedwanktic of you, although I get the feeling you thought I was way off.
    I was merely saying how simplistic the whole calculation was, hardly needed percentages to show the drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Bluetonic wrote: »
    hardly needed percentages to show the drop.

Ah it did and anyway percentages makes me hawwwwny. :pac:

Ah it did and anyway percentages makes me hawwwwny. :pac:
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ordo

Thinking of heading up north to buy my wedding rings. Anyone recommend a good jewellers in belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

HM Samuel? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

leex wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of any of the banks but is this not fairly standard anway. I moved from MBNA to BOI recently and IMO am seeing better conversions with BOI.

If you go into bank to buy sterling you pay commission. Similarly if you take money from ATM up there.

I see PTSB are "up to 1.75%" also for non Euro transactions
    Ulster Bank is 2%

I regularly use my PTSB Ice Visa in NI and UK, and off to NY next week - don't think they put on 1.75% charge to sterling anyway; but looking at my business BOI Visa statement for same NI/UK trips they do have a 1.75% charge on there. Pure profiteering. Will be double checking before I head to NY as it will be mainly personal shopping:D

Before the slagging - I ain't a rich lad shopper:rolleyes: Only holiday myself and wife have is a trip to NY most years for last 10. Now we have kids too so it breaks my heart to leave them behind... but they will have nice clothes for the summer:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Heading up Saturday, anybody know of anywhere that is still doing a pound for a euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

A number of stores in the Buttercrane area were yesterday (Jack & Jones and some Light fitting place had £1=€1 signs up at the traffic lights, and several stores had handwritten signs up in the shopping mall. ) , but I reckon that will have changed by Saturday. Several stores were physically revising their Euro Rate signs by close of business yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I was in the Outlet and the Quays yesterday. A few of the shops at the outlets had 1=1 signs up but none that I saw in the Quays had. Debenhams were 1=0.98 according to the sign behind the till.

The toy shop accross the car park from the Quays is having a closing down sale (possibly been mentioned already, I didn't go back through the 133 pages to check) and everything is half price. Not a whole lot left on the shelves but could be worth a look if one of the ankle biters has a birthday coming up.

Quays car park was almost as nuts as it was before xmas! Cars queuing in each lane with hazards on, waiting for somebody to leave a space. Sainsbury's still had till queues halfway up each aisle. I was going to grab a few baby things but between the queues and the fact that there was F.A. left on the shelves, I left it.

Still 90% Irish regs in the car park. If this keeps up they'll have to either go 24hr or build a bigger shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

i thought £1=1 euro signs in a-wear in the quays last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

smashey wrote: »
    As far as I know, Northern Bank charge a fee for using their ATMs. For AIB customers, try using Ulster Bank or Bank of Ireland if you can't find a First Trust branch.
    I wonder is there no relationship between Northern Bank and AIB that results in you getting charged a fixed fee as well as the rate? I just checked my a/c (Ulster Bank) and was charged €106.66 on taking out £100 from an AIB machine on Friday.
    Canonfan wrote: »
    Went to Belfast for shopping today, bought a few items with my Laser card.

I took out £30 from Northern Bank ATM for lunch. I just checked my AIB online account, they charged me €36.14 for £30.:(

That's around 0.83P to a euro, now I'm worried about my Laser card transations. Thought i got myself a few bargains...

Just checked my AIB account, here is what i found:

1. AIB changed Northern bank interest rate from 0.83 to 0.928 BUT charged €1.27 commission for using ATM.

2. My AIB laser card transation was charged at 0.949 on the same day (4/1/09)

So credit and laser card is better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

was in boots in the quays in newry yesterday the rate was one pound to €1.01:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Can any confirm to me that I can use my Laser/Maestro card in Argos shops in the North? I used it in all other shops including Sainsburys but I just want to be 100% sure before I reserve an item online and collect it this Saturday.

Ordo wrote: »
    Thinking of heading up north to buy my wedding rings. Anyone recommend a good jewellers in belfast?

Elizabeth Duke, there's a good few of em around...

www.argos.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

dcr22B wrote: »
    Can any confirm to me that I can use my Laser/Maestro card in Argos shops in the North? I used it in all other shops including Sainsburys but I just want to be 100% sure before I reserve an item online and collect it this Saturday.

yes, i used my laser card in argos in enniskillen a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Ordo wrote: »

Lunns in Belfast (Royal Avenue and Queens Arcade)
    Jack Murphy in Newry (on the main street)

There are lots more and those mightn't necessarily be the cheapest but in any dealings I've had with either I've been very happy. When I bought herself an engagement ring about 3yrs ago, UK was significantly cheaper than RoI for jewellery, can't imagine the difference now with sterling the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ordo

ok thanks a mil for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

dcr22B wrote: »

Argos accepts Laser cards but PC World no.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Here is a comparison of some prices comparing our last shop in Sainsburys to tecso.ie online prices. Some products I could not find a like for like and I have not done the conversion to euro but you get the idea. Anyone know if you can do tables on boards?

Item|Tesco.ie|Sainsbury
    Carte Noire Coffee 200g |€8.89|£4.10
    Plax Mouthwash 500ml |€5.39|£1.49
    20T Tie handle Refuse Sacks|€2.99|£1.83
    Parazone Toilet Wipes|€2.89|£1.37
    Club Lemon 2L|€2.09|£0.69
    Cif Spray 750ml|€2.99|£ 2.14
    Silvikrin sens shampoo|€4?|£2
    Silvikrin ses Conditioner|?|£0.98
    Dr Pepper 6x330ml|€?|£1.27
    English Mustard 179g|€1.89|£0.89
    shepards pie mix|€1.26|£0.78
    Bloo Loo|€2.99|£1.35
    Taste the differance 500g mince|€4.99|£3.19
    Vo5 shampoo|€3.60|£2.19
    Clone wars dvd|€19.99|£13.97

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ace1

Hi,
    Any suggestions on where to buy wine in the North. Somewhere that is not a supermarket and with easy parking?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

just got this update from RGB a wholesaler of a/v products and taught i better share the info

"Price increases

The current economic climate has had a drastic effect upon the value of the pound. In particular it has dropped an enormous amount against the US Dollar and the Euro. Against the US dollar it has fallen by 26%. Against the Euro it has fallen by 19%.

With no sign of any improvement in the short or medium term, we are forced to increase the UK SRP of the following product ranges with immediate effect (as of 2nd Jan):

• Chief by 13%
    • ClearOne by 18%
    • Minicom by 20%
    • projectiondesign by 20%"

seems like the exchange rate difference will soon be cancelled out as i imagine others will quickly follow

message being if you have any big a/v or electrical purchases and were thinking of buying up north

do so now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭harmankardon

has anyone order from homebase uk and got it delivered to the republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Anybody know the current exchange rate Argos are giving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    What ever it is it will be very poor.

When the rate was 90p to a euro Argos were offering 75p.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    What ever it is it will be very poor.

When the rate was 90p to a euro Argos were offering 75p.
    Not necessarily true, around December 11th when it was 89p they were offering 88p. (Quays Newry)

Best to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Pay with CC. I was in Argos in Lisburn last Friday. My receipt is for £117.28. My credit card (Tesco Visa) was charged €123.67. That's not bad. Even better considering that on the Argos.ie site the same items come to more than €240

Advertisement