Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GJU

Lunns in Belfast (Royal Avenue and Queens Arcade)
    Jack Murphy in Newry (on the main street)

There are lots more and those mightn't necessarily be the cheapest but in any dealings I've had with either I've been very happy. When I bought herself an engagement ring about 3yrs ago, UK was significantly cheaper than RoI for jewellery, can't imagine the difference now with sterling the way it is.

www.jackmurphyjewellers.com

www.lunns.com

or you could try www.oconnordiamonds.ie in Harolds Cross, they have a shop, and sell to the trade and the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

"Offical" exchange rate down to 0.9000 today :(
    That's an extra 10% onto the shopping bill (but it's still 40% cheaper:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

hi i am heading to newry tomorrow just wondered can anyone tell me what the traffic is like up there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Traffic isn't the problem. Expect to spend at the very least 10 minutes circling the car park in the Quays or Buttercrane shopping centres looking for a space. If you're unlucky (in the wrong aisle at the wrong time) it could easily be 30 mins tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

milltown wrote: »
    Traffic isn't the problem. Expect to spend at the very least 10 minutes circling the car park in the Quays or Buttercrane shopping centres looking for a space. If you're unlucky (in the wrong aisle at the wrong time) it could easily be 30 mins tbh.

aww crap... is it still that busy in those shopping centres?... I thought it might have quietened down after the christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Hi ,Anyone know how long it takes to get to Asda in Enniskillen from Dublin,Also what is the best route to take .Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

shardylan wrote: »
    Hi ,Anyone know how long it takes to get to Asda in Enniskillen from Dublin,Also what is the best route to take .Thanks

You wanna head towards Navan (past Blanchardstown on the N3) and stay on the same road the whole way (Kells -> Cavan -> Derrylin). Depends on traffic etc but from O Connell St to Enniskillen it should take over 3 hours give or take 15 minutes.

You're definitely better off going to one of the spots on the M1 though imo.

You're definitely better off going to one of the spots on the M1 though imo.[/QUOTE]

Is that the road i would be taking (M1),sorry never drove here before so little unsure

Is that the road i would be taking (M1),sorry never drove here before so little unsure

The M1's the road that goes up the coast from Dublin to Belfast - Drogheda etc.
    The N3 goest diagonally up to Donegal - this is the road to Enniskillen, but from Dublin it's a longer journey and you have to go through all the towns along the way (only Cavan has a bypass).

Timewise is this the nearest asda up north ,is there any Asda that would be closer,wanted one that might have George clothing line .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 garveyp

mjnolan1 wrote: »
    I picked up a LG 37" 6000 model (LG376000) in Richersounds Belfast for under €600 today with the current rate of exchange. Powercity have it on their site for €950, reduced to €899, It's worth the overall 4 hour drive for a €300 saving....

I just bought another from richersounds. Its down to £499, an amazing price for a class LCD

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Ace1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any suggestions on where to buy wine in the North. Somewhere that is not a supermarket and with easy parking?

Thanks

Yeh, we don't buy any of our drink in sainsburys its actually more expensive than the off licence we found. Its called Curleys, its a little hard to find though, head up the canal past "The Quays" and all that and when you get to the Canal Court hotel pull into the car park behind it, through the entrance from the canal, then if you go out the entrance at the back of the car park its on your right.

Alternatively you could find it by heading for the TK Max and Dunnes Stores, and its just in there, I just havn't headed to it any other way.

This is in Newry that I'm talking about, just in case ya didn't catch that, and theres always loads of parking spots around there, and in the hotel car park.

Much much more cheaper to be honest, last time I was up I bagged 30 bottles of Budweiser for E20 and 36 bottles of Miller for E20, the wife buys the wine, now I couldn't quote the prices but she does be over the moon.

Hope that helps, need anymore info just give us a shout.

Timewise is this the nearest asda up north ,is there any Asda that would be closer,wanted one that might have George clothing line .
    Think Enniskillen's the closest alright. There are closer Sainsburys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Enniskillen trip, 10.01.09

Some bad news first, Asda's rate for the week is 0.88 :(, shame
    Some of the shops were at 0.90 but Heaton's (next door to Iceland) were easily the best as they were offering par, 1 to 1
    Got there at 7:50, no traffic of any description, hit Asda first, pretty much empty, shelves well stocked (not a drinker so can't comment on that section), just one or two that I was looking for (Honey @ £1.30 jar versus €2.09 in Tesco) not stocked. No real interest in their clothes or electricals, noticed some cheap DVD's e.g Die Hard 4 @ £5. Two full trolleys @ £240.
    Hit Erneside just after 9 for a bit of grub, M&S, nothing special, Next etc, Superdrug had a lot of decent stuff at 0.49 (3 foot circular lilo for hols) and 0.99 (selection boxes with 6 bars). There was a little shop on your immediate RHS with lots of great value toiletry type stuff e.g. kids/adult bathrobe £4.99.

Worth doing and will do again

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Was in Newry yesterday for a funeral and popped into Sainsburys in The Quays at 7p.m for a bit of shopping.

Good buys:
    Tins of Quality Street half price at 2.49
    48 piece socket set 3.99
    Orchid plants half price 5.00
    Elizabeth Shaw Vodka Shot chocolates 98p
    Famous Names liquers 95p

Not good buys
    Beer! Last week in Sainsburys in Lisburn I got 2 boxes of Coors for 15 quid. They had a special on and a lot of different beers were 2 for 15. Yesterday they were 13.95 each :eek: No good value on beer at all.

General groceries. There seemed to be a small difference in price between the two stores. Whether they've hiked up the prices because they have a captive audience of Dubs I don't know, but the Lisburn store seemed to be slightly cheaper.

Car parking was fine at that time of night and the store wasn't too crowded. They were re-stocking the shelves but there were still a lot of empty shelves waiting to be filled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you're heading to Asda, try their freshly made up pizza, you get TWO 14" for £5, I got two and they weigh over 1 1/2 LB each, unreal value at £2.50 each

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

heading to newry tomorrow , any tips for mens clothes stores and are thier any good ones in the buttercrane centre

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mndgz

hi, in the market for some white goods, namely a fridge freezer, a dishwasher, washing mashine, a dryer and a cooker so was thinking of making a trip up the north

the thing is, the pound is slightly up against the euro and the trip's going to cost me around 300 yoyos...including van rental and so on...

so my question would be, if anyone's been shopping for white goods up there recently, is it still worth it and if so, any recommendations on what town is the handiest to go to from galway and any shops up there...thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

mndgz wrote: »
    hi, in the market for some white goods, namely a fridge freezer, a dishwasher, washing mashine, a dryer and a cooker so was thinking of making a trip up the north

the thing is, the pound is slightly up against the euro and the trip's going to cost me around 300 yoyos...including van rental and so on...

so my question would be, if anyone's been shopping for white goods up there recently, is it still worth it and if so, any recommendations on what town is the handiest to go to from galway and any shops up there...thanks

If I was you I would go onto www.currys.co.uk and www.comet.co.uk and price each of the goods you are thinking of getting, then price them down here and see what the difference is. It's possible some of the shops up there might give a discount if you pay in sterling cash as would some down here give you a discount if you are paying in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

left dublin 15 yesterday @ 07.05am and was getting out of the car in asda in enniskillen @ 09.30.we took our time as we're not used to the roads up that way and it was pitch black till about 08.20.
    i got a sony sr 10e camcorder with case for £549.54. in currys on wifes c.c. which was a huge saving compared to prices down here. we had a look in dunnes stores which had a sign outside offering €1/94p. which seems reasonable. i also took out £500 up there which cost me €571.45.(i dont know what the ex/rate is for this unless someone can work it for me please). had a bite to eat in ernside mall a cafe near M&S. not much of a cafe though :(. the misses bought a few things. did some shopping in asda then tesco's. asda was crazy and tesco's was basically empty.
    we left @ about 1.15pm ish. drove all the way across to sprucefield got there about 3.30ish. toys'r'us were offering €1/95p. currys was way bigger than enniskillen.
    T.B.H. i dont think we'll be going back to enniskillen. sprucefield was more interesting. we didn't have time for the outlet on the way home. but next time we will.
    i searched asda,sainburys and tesco's for maxwell house red jar but couldn't find it anywhere up there. flew though newry about 5.10pm no hold ups, no tailbacks and was home just before 7.
    i was amazed at how relaxing driving up the north is, no nutters or tailgaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

we're going up to newry next week shopping
    I was wondering would it be better to pay in steirling or credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

We took a trip up to Enniskillen yesterday as well.

Traffic was fine, parking was ok too. Little cafe above Easons on the main street was excellent, keenly priced too.

Asda was absolutely crammed, not a very nice experience at all. A lot of shelves were empty so my advice would be to get there early. Best value to be had at the end of every aisle. Wine very cheap still (3 decent bottles for £10)

Tesco's in comparison was very nice, not busy at all and plenty of stock. Some excellent offers - energy-efficient lightbulbs, buy 1 for £2.50, get 2 free :eek:. Same bulbs are about a fiver each down here. Also, got a Vax vacuum cleaner in Tescos for £70, half price, looks like a decent model.

Heatons were offering £1=€, Tesco's were offering 95p=€, better than the bank rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

Any suggestions for buying a lawnmower in Newry or Enniskillen etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Was in Newry yesterday for a funeral and popped into Sainsburys in The Quays at 7p.m for a bit of shopping.

classy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And why not? It's an ill wind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

i also took out £500 up there which cost me €571.45.(i dont know what the ex/rate is for this unless someone can work it for me please).

500/571.45=0.8746*100=87.46p
    571.45/500= €1.14
    i was amazed at how relaxing driving up the north is, no nutters or tailgaters.

maybe relaxing during daylight but jeez its pitchblack for nighttime driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

classy...
    :mad: Twonk. Had to pass through Newry on the way home. Funeral was not of a relative. Would you drive past the shopping centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭afatbollix

beolight wrote: »

maybe relaxing during daylight but jeez its pitchblack for nighttime driving

that might be down to it being night time :p:p

ye dublin folk...

i brought a mate down the country once and he was shocked there was no lights at the side of the road... yer all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

that might be down to it being night time

ye dublin folk...

i brought a mate down the country once and he was shocked there was no lights at the side of the road... yer all the same...

fairly hairy scary night driving on the M1/A1 from lisburn to newry all the same

if that wasnt bad enough throw in some major roadworks

then just for good measure add a couple of those jepordary crossovers

who needs lights ehhh

better than any arcade driving game only this time its for real:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thecons

Went to Argos in the Quays on Friday to buy a gas cooker only to be told they are home delivery only! Anyone know of anywhere up North I can buy a free standing bottled gas cooker?

Advertisement