Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow200 me a***

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    Now I remember. You were King Raam before as well, weren't you?

Yes, before my abdication.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Raam wrote: »
    I was trying to come up with a good name. I failed.

Not at all - it evokes all the cuddly qualities of our ovine friends tempered by a masculinity appropriate to manly jaunts across Ireland and back. (With apologies to Caroline.ie and others of the female persuasion.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

rflynnr wrote: »

Classic thread. Bringing it back to life here. Was hoping to cycle to Galway along a similar route this weekend but I'm not 100% at the moment. Is there still a few of you thinking of doing this in mid-November? I'd go one way with you anyway.. (I figure you'd be pacing yourselves if you're going for the 400km+)

I'm beginning to wonder if 400km is stretching it. Perhaps 300 would be better to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder if 400km is stretching it. Perhaps 300 would be better to start with.

Wimp!

It'll be fine... if we can do the W200 without too much trouble (ahem), 400k on the flat is nothing :)

Who dares wins and all that

• Advertisement

400k on the flat is nothing :)

I'll need to remind you of this statement as we approach 250km and we are all dying!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Niceonetom was asking me on Saturday if I was going to do this. One of my main concerns would be the combo of weekend night, darkness, back roads, drunken drivers and cyclists. Anyone else worried about this or am I just being a wuss?

Niceonetom was asking me on Saturday if I was going to do this. One of my main concerns would be the combo of weekend night, darkness, back roads, drunken drivers and cyclists. Anyone else worried about this or am I just being a wuss?

It's a valid concern.
    I for one will be leaving all sense of euro-style at home and donning a highvis vest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I support the idea of el tonto doing this, we need a puller for when we get tired.

blorg wrote: »
    I support the idea of el tonto doing this, we need a puller for when we get tired.

Vote YES for El_Tonto.

• Advertisement

YES for El_Tonto :)

It is a valid concern, but I don't think any more so than most other times of year tbh... if we've a few guys and well lit up I think we'd be ok

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hmmm. A lot of self-interested posting going on. "Don't worry about the drunk drivers and pull us into the wind". Will give this some more thought.

For anyone interested in a warm up event, Orwell's Gerry Brannigan Randonee is on the week beforehand. Don't ask me why they're having a randonee in November...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

These drunken cyclists would be a worry if there's a chain gang thing going.

My worry with the night-riding thing is that if you bonk at 2am in the back arse of nowhere you can't hop on a train, or call into a B&B. It seems very different to cycle touring at night (which I've done) where you can just set up camp if knackered and where your speed and effort aren't as great as in a sportif/audax.

Hmmm. A lot of self-interested posting going on. "Don't worry about the drunk drivers and pull us into the wind". Will give this some more thought.

For anyone interested in a warm up event, Orwell's Gerry Brannigan Randonee is on the week beforehand. Don't ask me why they're having a randonee in November...

It'll be fine.... no bother at all :) You might even get an article out of it

oobydooby wrote: »

My worry with the night-riding thing is that if you bonk at 2am in the back arse of nowhere you can't hop on a train, or call into a B&B. It seems very different to cycle touring at night (which I've done) where you can just set up camp if knackered and where your speed and effort aren't as great as in a sportif/audax.

The plan is to start at about 12am, so you shouldn't be bonking by 2am ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

oobydooby wrote: »

400km would be a lot easier if you could draft the whole way behind a large support van.

Sort of defeats the object though - and I'd be tempted to climb in.

Lumen wrote: »
    400km would be a lot easier if you could draft the whole way behind a large support van.

Large support van = El Tonto, in Raam and Blorg's eyes at least.

Tonto, the Gerry Brannigan is on Sunday 16th of November- this Dublin-Galway-Dublin thing is planned for Saturday 15th November (last time I checked- has the date moved?)

blorg wrote: »
    Tonto, the Gerry Brannigan is on Sunday 16th of November- this Dublin-Galway-Dublin thing is planned for Saturday 15th November (last time I checked- has the date moved?)

Actually you're right. The training schedule I had listed it as the 9th, but the website now says the 16th. I presume you'll be doing the Gerry Brannigan after you get back from Galway?

Actually you're right. The training schedule I had listed it as the 9th, but the website now says the 16th. I presume you'll be doing the Gerry Brannigan after you get back from Galway?
    I'll have to get back to you on that, Clonee is a bit far out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement