Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow200 me a***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Verb wrote: »
    Should last 2 and a half hours on full whack, turbo mode. 4 hours or so on high. The rechargeables in the Fenix I gave Blorg could be a bit pants.

It was mine that gave out -I only had the batteries that came with it in it... I think a couple of them is the way to go for night rides

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm graduating! Looks like Nov 15th is a suitable date?

Just back from a quick night spin around Lucan way with Blorg -the fenix lights are the sh*t, but run outa juice fast!

Oh, and the 15th is fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It was mine that gave out -I only had the batteries that came with it in it... I think a couple of them is the way to go for night rides

Ah right, sorry. Yeah, alkalines don't really have a good capacity compared to modern NiMh batteries. You'll notice a brighter light and better duration with >2700NiMhs. The useful thing about having the various modes though is you can drop to a lower setting, medium or high when climbing and then go to turbo when descending. Should stretch them out for a bit then.

If you're buying Blorg, I'd look at the TK11 as in the other thread. Just two modes, so nice and simple, very bright with the 18650 batteries and good throw.

Ok, today has been an excessive torch/battery reading/writing day. Must return to work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Must say, night riding is the business, as are those Fenix lights- thanks again for the loan Verb, I will definitely be getting some. Actually after I left Tiny (having been humiliated in a few fixie sprints after failing to find any couriers to race) the light you lent me did go down a fair bit- to around the same as my 1W light, still plenty bright but not as crazy bright as it was out in the dark. I had it on for a good two hours at that stage I reckon.

blorg wrote: »
    after I left Tiny (having been humiliated in a few fixie sprints after failing to find any couriers to race)

I didn't humiliate you, just showed you what a sprint really looks like :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Ummm...if I may be so bold: could I tag along if you do do the D-G-D on Nov 15th? The idea of the night ride is very appealing. To give fair warning though: I've never cycled that distance in a single go before. I did pop out by myself a couple of weeks back and did 160k in about 7 hours (with a 30 min break for lunch) largely to make sure my current gear setup would permit climbing Slieve Maan. I felt pretty ok at the end but even so, if anyone felt I'm likely to slow things down, I'll withdraw, feelings intact.

rflynnr wrote: »
    Ummm...if I may be so bold: could I tag along if you do do the D-G-D on Nov 15th? The idea of the night ride is very appealing. To give fair warning though: I've never cycled that distance in a single go before. I did pop out by myself a couple of weeks back and did 160k in about 7 hours (with a 30 min break for lunch) largely to make sure my current gear setup would permit climbing Slieve Maan. I felt pretty ok at the end but even so, if anyone felt I'm likely to slow things down, I'll withdraw, feelings intact.

I've never done more than 220 myself.
    Question: if one of us bonks big-style and can't continue, then what?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »

An immediate infusion of mars bars and sweeties???

"This man needs Snickers, stat!"

Anyway, worst case scenario, one can always hop on a train back.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    An immediate infusion of mars bars and sweeties???

What kind of sweeties?

I've never done more than 220 myself.

They get laughed at and ridiculed by the others in person, and on this forum, and are forever known as 'bonkin betty' :D

Seriously though, we should be close enough to civilisation to get a cab or a bus or a train, or a bed to sort us out.

Sweeties will also help.

rflynnr -you're more than welcome to join us -the more the merrier!

Thanks Tiny. If anyone's interested, here's a link to a route which largely avoids national routes and motorways:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Dublin&daddr=53.420582,-7.288742+to:R348+to:Galway&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFXglLQMdtIN9_w%3B&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=12&via=1,2&dirflg=ht&sll=53.382304,-7.246857&sspn=0.150925,0.30899&ie=UTF8&ll=53.271168,-8.980122&spn=0.075659,0.154495&z=13

(It is 210k each way though so strictly speaking it'd be over 400k.)

Excellent job on the route rflynnr. When I cycled down to Waterford with Raam I had the route programmed into my Garmin and it did a very good job directing us without having to stop to look at maps etc.

My own max is around the 230-235km mark although that was a hilly one, I would be confident that I'd be OK up to 300 at least :D After that I don't know, I can only hope.

If anyone bonks, the remaining cyclists will feed on their flesh and complete the ride.

As for sweeties, it will have to be niceonetom's jellies.

As for sweeties, it will have to be niceonetom's jellies.

Oooer missus! :)

Depends on if the gentleman joins us though -you up for it niceonetom?

How about we do it on fixies? :p

How about we don't do it on fixies? :p

Fixed that there

"about 3 hours 52 mins" - there's a target to aim for :pac:

I wouldn't necessarily be averse to doing it on my fixie; I reckon it's quite flat, I'd want to up the gear a bit.

I wouldn't necessarily be averse to doing it on my fixie; I reckon it's quite flat, I'd want to up the gear a bit.

And so the seed is planted.... Race Across America on fixies.... :)

And so the seed is planted.... Race Across America on fixies.... :)

NO!

• Advertisement

Jeebus - you nutter. Although if this actually happens, I suspect my bike will become a de facto single speed after a couple of 100k: 39 at the front and 27 at the back.

I'll consider doing RAAM on a fixie on the second attempt, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'll consider doing RAAM on a fixie

*giggles*

Verb wrote: »
    *giggles*

I thought the same! Confusing having RAAM and Raam here :)

I'll consider doing RAAM on a fixie on the second attempt, thanks very much.

Please clarify this statement. Thank you.

Please clarify this statement. Thank you.

He suggesting you've already tried it once?

Actually, could YOU clarify why you're called Raam? (He asked, suspecting that a line had been crossed.)

Actually, could YOU clarify why you're called Raam? (He asked, suspecting that a line had been crossed.)

It's nothing to do with the race. I was listening to Lemon Jelly when I was trying to come up with a good name. I failed.

He suggesting you've already tried it once?

It's gonna be a loooooooooooooong trip to Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's nothing to do with the race. I was listening to Lemon Jelly when I was trying to come up with a good name. I failed.

Now I remember. You were King Raam before as well, weren't you?

Advertisement