Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow200 me a***

Options
  • 07-10-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

I don't know if there's any Sorrento guys on here but I came across this report of the 2007 Paris-Brest-Paris Audax (long, but worth reading) on their website and my plans of doing next years Wicklow200 suddenly don't seem so daunting :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Steeplechase

I'm dizzy after reading that.

Fair play to those nutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SetOverSet wrote: »
    I don't know if there's any Sorrento guys on here but I came across this report of the 2007 Paris-Brest-Paris Audax (long, but worth reading) on their website and my plans of doing next years Wicklow200 suddenly don't seem so daunting :eek:

I have cycled that distance in France.....in three weeks. 85 hours is completely mental. Respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Doing the next one of them -it's only every 4 years, so another 3 to wait -will be doing London-Edinburgh-London next year though -similar distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm planning on 2011 and L-E-L next year too; there are a few others on here considering. TBH though would probably have a bit of a preference for Boston-Montreal-Boston, mainly due to it being a bit different and better chances with the weather. Cycling on the right side of the road too, much better training for PBP methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I note than L-E-L is spread over five days. How wussy would it be to aim for 280k a day but assume on grabbing 6-7 hours sleep in a comfortable bed each night? Or would such an approach massively miss the point of such a mega-Audax event?

• Advertisement

rflynnr wrote: »
    I note than L-E-L is spread over five days. How wussy would it be to aim for 280k a day but assume on grabbing 6-7 hours sleep in a comfortable bed each night? Or would such an approach massively miss the point of such a mega-Audax event?

Perfectly acceptable, and may be how I approach it!

It's over 5 days, but is a longer course...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What kind of training are we going to have to put in for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Then, as God is my witness, (and quick conversation with the missus permitting), I'm officially...thinking about it.

Raam wrote: »
    What kind of training are we going to have to put in for this one?

5 days in the alps helps.... (sorry, I couldn't resist!)... I'm thinking at the very least trying for a minimum of a 100k twice a week, and even a few night time rides (Sally Gap in the wee small hours anyone?)

I dunno though -doubt there'll be anything particularly structured... will also give some of the sorrento 200/400/600's a go (they run them to qualify for the PBP -thankfully LEL lets anyone in!)

The big training is for RAAM in 2010 sir -you should know that!

I think we should be doing the >200km randonees if we are thinking of doing this sort of thing, besides the organised stuff maybe try Dublin-Cork-Dublin or something like that (the longer randonees only get a handful of entries anyway, we could very possibly get as many ourselves.)

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    I think we should be doing the >200km randonees if we are thinking of doing this sort of thing, besides the organised stuff maybe try Dublin-Cork-Dublin or something like that (the longer randonees only get a handful of entries anyway, we could very possibly get as many ourselves.)

I'm happy to do our own thing. Route finding is my concern. At LEL, you are expected to meet certain points and even a few surprise ones, from what I remember.

I'm happy to do our own thing. Route finding is my concern. At LEL, you are expected to meet certain points and even a few surprise ones, from what I remember.

Then lets do Dublin-Galway-Dublin over the weekend :)

Then lets do Dublin-Galway-Dublin over the weekend :)

If that is to occur, I would propose doing it in one day :)

If that is to occur, I would propose doing it in one day :)

That's what I mean -but we should include some night riding to get used to it see

That's what I mean -but we should include some night riding to get used to it see

We may have no choice in the matter!

We may have no choice in the matter!

So, how you fixed for Nov 7/8?

So, how you fixed for Nov 7/8?

Hols that weekend. Weekend after? Or even weekend of the 25th this month?

Hols that weekend. Weekend after? Or even weekend of the 25th this month?

Graduation on the weekend of the 18th, cycling near Bristol weekend of the 25th, Motorhead on the 31st October.... that leaves this weekend, or Nov 15th...

Graduation on the weekend of the 18th, cycling near Bristol weekend of the 25th, Motorhead on the 31st October.... that leaves this weekend, or Nov 15th...

Party on Friday, but it is still a possibility. What time would you propose hitting the road?

Party on Friday, but it is still a possibility. What time would you propose hitting the road?

it's 400k, so I reckon 20hrs max would be plenty of time for it, so may suggest at 12am start time, so we can guarantee a night ride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Holy God!

There's me all happy I did just over 80km at the weekend.

To be honest I think if we were going to do this we would want to make sure we have adequate (front) lighting- I currently have 2x 1 watt LEDs but not sure if this is sufficient. I'd be on for heading out this evening up the mountains to give these a test go if anyone is in.

To be honest I think if we were going to do this we would want to make sure we have adequate (front) lighting- I currently have 2x 1 watt LEDs but not sure if this is sufficient. I'd be on for heading out this evening up the mountains to give these a test go if anyone is in.

I would, but have no pedals! Left em in the suitcase along with the garmin (I think!)

My bike is also unassembled, I would be planning on heading up on my fixie :D We can make the route light on the climbing if you like.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

:mad:I'd go with ye, but I'm still stuck in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You're welcome to swing by my place (in dundrum) and borrow my Fenix to try it out this evening.

Sigh - My kingdom for a road bike

it's 400k, so I reckon 20hrs max would be plenty of time for it, so may suggest at 12am start time, so we can guarantee a night ride?

I can't do this on this weekend. What about next weekend? Sat the 18th.

I can't do this on this weekend. What about next weekend? Sat the 18th.

I'm graduating! Looks like Nov 15th is a suitable date?

Just back from a quick night spin around Lucan way with Blorg -the fenix lights are the sh*t, but run outa juice fast!

Just back from a quick night spin around Lucan way with Blorg -the fenix lights are the sh*t, but run outa juice fast!

Oh yeah, short memory.
    I have two good Light & Motion jobs which should do me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Should last 2 and a half hours on full whack, turbo mode. 4 hours or so on high. The rechargeables in the Fenix I gave Blorg could be a bit pants.

Advertisement