Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Annoying Father Ted Character?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

WindSock wrote: »
    ''You're sittin' there, watching those young boys runnin around in shorts with a big smile on your face. Ye dirty feckers.''

^Probably my favourite Father Ted quote behind Pat Mustard's "Jaysus Theresa, I forgot me feckin' pants!".:D

I love the Fr Fintan Stack episode. Brendan Grace at his finest.

"Dougal: God Ted, that Fr Stack he's worse than Hitler.
    Ted: Oh no Dougal, he's much worse than Hitler. Hitler wouldn't stay up til 3 in the moring listening to jungle music"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    ^Probably my favourite Father Ted quote behind Pat Mustard's "Jaysus Theresa, I forgot me feckin' pants!".:D

I love the Fr Fintan Stack episode. Brendan Grace at his finest.

"Dougal: God Ted, that Fr Stack he's worse than Hitler.
    Ted: Oh no Dougal, he's much worse than Hitler. Hitler wouldn't stay up til 3 in the moring listening to jungle music"

Was it not:

"Who would he be like, Ted, Hitler or one o' them fellas?"

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Never really liked Fr. Jack.

The programme is great but never got how he was supposed to be funny, except as a foil for Ted and Dougal.

"Drink, Feck, Girls" is the "Suits you, Sir" of Fr. Ted.

Easy for those who don't really get it to find something to quote.

Was it not:

"Who would he be like, Ted, Hitler or one o' them fellas?"

I stand corrected!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Bishop Brennan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

Difficult I know,but was there any character, be it long term or a single episode character that you really didn't like?

Mine would be the feminist woman in the episode with the Lovely Girls competition.I think her character was Niamh something-or-other, played by Claire Grogan. What annoyed me about her was her terrible Irish accent that tried to sound like Bob Geldof or somethin. "Oi reeeeally loike this hooowse Fether MiGwoyer"

Really annoying,or am I being a tad too serious?

uhh she wrecked my head too... or the presenter that turned into the alcoholic.... argh!!!

funniest character besides the main crowd was definetly graham norton!! ha ha i love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Fr. Jessop was extremely annoying (in a good way ;)) with his whiny sarcasm...until of course he got his comeuppance in Jacks underpants hamper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

JP Liz wrote: »
    Bishop Brennan

Huh?! He was a legend!

"What did he say? Did he call me Len again? You address me by my proper title...ya little bollocks!"

I probably hated the feminist character more than anyone else. I don't think it's a great episode.

I also didn't care for Eoin McLove but he was written to be a c*nt so I can understand that.

I'm not all that fond of Mrs Doyle either I'm a bit ashamed to say. She does have some great lines but I feel she's quite overrated as a character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Always thought mrs doyle was a bit one-dimensional, one or two funny scenes built around her but otherwise she was in it too often I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All you critics are going to "Burn in the fires of hell!" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭interlocked

Eoin McLove, played by Patrick McDonnell, one of the unfunniest individuals ever to masquerade as a comedian in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The depressed priest Tommy Tiernan played, but that might just because I don't like Tommy Tiernan. The character was rubbish though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm not all that fond of Mrs Doyle either I'm a bit ashamed to say. She does have some great lines but I feel she's quite overrated as a character.
    Morlar wrote: »
    Always thought mrs doyle was a bit one-dimensional, one or two funny scenes built around her but otherwise she was in it too often I think.

I have to totally disagree. I think she was a very underrated character.
    Usually all people remember is "Gwan, gwan, gwan" and "Will you have a cup of tea?" but I think she had some of the sharpest, funniest lines ever in the show. Plus Pauline McLynne played her so well!

On topic, I didn't really like Eoin McLove. The character himself was ok, but that actor is one of the most annoying fcukers ever allowed on RTE. Can't stand him.
    I also thought Benson (the guy in the wheelchair whose whistle was stolen) was a bit annoying.
    Fr. Buzz Cagney was also a bit annoying (the bad accent, the way he cocked his head) but maybe that was the point?
    And as someone mentioned earlier, Fr. Fay the monkey priest was rather pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Rosita wrote: »
    But it's amazing how upset some people become when there's any criticism of the programme!

Because none of it is legit! :) Honestly, barely a bad word can be said. Even if it was sh1t actors/comedians in the roles. Heathens on this thread are blaspheming the Father Stack episode, the whistle episode, Brennan episodes.....omg, Im bleeding here :eek:

Im not over fond of Tiernan stand up. I dont particularly hate it, I have just never found it interesting enough to watch more than 10 mins of his re run on Paramount, never saw his DVDs or went to his shows. Maybe part of what puts me off is he seems to be half angry man Bill Hicks with screaming lunatic Lee Evans (I think Evans is ****e btw, dont know how he sells)

Still thought his Ted character was great and fitted in well.

As for Pat McDonnell his bits on Dont Feed the Gondalas were gas, but Naked Camera is ****ing awful. Still, great turn on Ted.
    I think it doesn't hold a candle to some of the other British comedy shows.

But alot of the rest can be criticised. Only Fools and Horses probably narrowly beats Ted as my favourite comedy (possibly because there were more episodes) but **** you can criticise away (the three final episodes around 2000- two were average to ok, the third was a horror show)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bishop Brennan

Ah here for feck sake that's just a ridiculous thing to say.
    "What did he say? Did he call me Len again? You address me by my proper title...ya little bollocks!"

:D

"He did kick me up the arse!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Didn't find any of the characters annoying tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Difficult I know,but was there any character, be it long term or a single episode character that you really didn't like?

Mine would be the feminist woman in the episode with the Lovely Girls competition.I think her character was Niamh something-or-other, played by Claire Grogan. What annoyed me about her was her terrible Irish accent that tried to sound like Bob Geldof or somethin. "Oi reeeeally loike this hooowse Fether MiGwoyer"

Really annoying,or am I being a tad too serious?
    I always found Mrs Doyle annoying.I think it was the way Pauline Mcglynn played her.The sound of her voice and that shaking her head when she spoke thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

While im at it,worst episode was the one where their stuck on a plane.That irritating comedian Kevin Gildea was a gay priest and then there was yer man laughing which they completly milked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

darkdubh wrote: »
    then there was yer man laughing which they completly milked.

"Im listening to comedy on these! It`s Mr Bean"

Bizarre quotes like that are what made Ted. This thread is sore on the eyes.

shane86 wrote: »
    Bizarre quotes like that are what made Ted. This thread is sore on the eyes.

+100

Dougal; "As you know Ted, I'm very cynical"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Bishop Brennan
    Huh?! He was a legend!

have to agree Mr.NiceGuy ...

"Father Dougal: Hello Len.
    Bishop Brennan: Don't call me Len, you little prick. I'm a bishop!
    Father Dougal: Oh right. Well done. "
    I probably hated the feminist character more than anyone else. I don't think it's a great episode
    ... +1 ... programme would have been no loss without that episode that's for sure ... I did find her the most annoying character

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The milk flaot episode :mad:

OPENROAD wrote: »
    The milk flaot episode :mad:

What! That's my favourite episode:pac:

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    What! That's my favourite episode:pac:

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

The first two series of Father Ted were brilliant but it started to loose it for me in the last series, that said the kick Bishop Brennans arse was an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How can you not like Speed III?!?! Pat Mustard has some amazing one liners.

"And now to ride Mrs O'Reilly"

"Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers!"

"Oh, yeah? Well, I think that you would need proof if you were going to make that sort of an accusation. And I'm a very careful man, Father. A very careful man!"

"You certainly wouldn't be advising the use of artificial contraception now, Father, would you?"

"Can Pat put his massive tool in my box?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

WE PUT THE BRICK ON THE ACCELERATOR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Those women were in the NIP!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

WindSock wrote: »
    All those previous charcters mentioned there are great. There isnt one who I don't like except for Mrs Doyle. She annoys me with the gwan bits, I never found them funny at all.

+1 ! Altough at the time I found her funny...just got grumpier with age !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I have to totally disagree. I think she was a very underrated character.
    Usually all people remember is "Gwan, gwan, gwan" and "Will you have a cup of tea?" but I think she had some of the sharpest, funniest lines ever in the show. Plus Pauline McLynne played her so well!

She did have some great lines:

Mrs Doyle: "I'm so excited. Taking on three bishops all at once. I can't wait."

Speed 3:
    "You'd better get going, because milk gets sour. Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that. Because it's sh1te."

Advertisement