Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Annoying Father Ted Character?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭

Difficult I know,but was there any character, be it long term or a single episode character that you really didn't like?

Mine would be the feminist woman in the episode with the Lovely Girls competition.I think her character was Niamh something-or-other, played by Claire Grogan. What annoyed me about her was her terrible Irish accent that tried to sound like Bob Geldof or somethin. "Oi reeeeally loike this hooowse Fether MiGwoyer"

Really annoying,or am I being a tad too serious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Yeah i think you're spot on there she was fairly poxy alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Shut Up. Father Ted was awesome and I am its missionary, bringing its feckin glory to the Americas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he was the guy they met in the caves, and had all the rocks fall on him and kept trying to make everyone do a sing song, forget his name. Father... uh, damn. he was in the holiday one as well, he brought a load of students into the caravan ted/dougal were staying in and was doing irish dancing inside...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The thin bishop, Fax I think. Just irritated the tits off me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mordeth wrote: »
    he was the guy they met in the caves, and had all the rocks fall on him and kept trying to make everyone do a sing song, forget his name. Father... uh, damn. he was in the holiday one as well, he brought a load of students into the caravan ted/dougal were staying in and was doing irish dancing inside...

The two occasions in his entire career that Graham Norton has been funny, and that was because somebody else wrote the script. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The guy who was at the charity thing that was really annoying. He started a conversation with Ted asking him what his favourite humming noise was. Can't remember his name for the life of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Dougal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mine would be the feminist woman in the episode with the Lovely Girls competition.I think her character was Niamh something-or-other, played by Claire Grogan. What annoyed me about her was her terrible Irish accent that tried to sound like Bob Geldof or somethin. "Oi reeeeally loike this hooowse Fether MiGwoyer"

"Clit Power?.....I know a Father Clint Power"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mordeth wrote: »
    Fr. Noel Furlong.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Fr. Stone. Disliked that whole episode really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The guy who was at the charity thing that was really annoying. He started a conversation with Ted asking him what his favourite humming noise wa

he was meant to be boring. that was the point. And the feminist was meant to be annoying. I doubt the scriptwriters are losing sleep over this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The guy who was at the charity thing that was really annoying. He started a conversation with Ted asking him what his favourite humming noise was. Can't remember his name for the life of me.

Father Purcell.

"Well this is a piece of advice my father gave to me. This refers not only to lagging, but all forms of insulation: he said "dont ever"...no, wait, it was "always"...no, "never" - oh, I forgot. Never mind. Whats your favourite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm?

I didn't particularly like the episode with Brendan Grace (as Father Fintan Stack) probably because of him, can't stand the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This thread is a failure. There was no annoying characters in Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    "Clit Power?.....I know a Father Clint Power"

"Maybe she was having a go at him?"

This thread is a failure. There was no annoying characters in Father Ted.

Absolutely - if they were annoying, it was because they were supposed to be annoying.

Ironically, two of the ones that weren't annoying then, have been making up for it ever since i.e. Ardal O'Hanlon and Pauline McLynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Larry Duff scenes were always crappo imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

keane2097 wrote: »
    Larry Duff scenes were always crappo imo.

:eek: Blasphemy!

The scene with Father Billy Williams and the gun running is one the funniest in the programme!

Not to mention the giant game of Buzz Off, driving his car off a cliff, getting done by an avalanche and shooting himself with a stapler.

He's a legend!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek: Blasphemy!

The scene with Father Billy Williams and the gun running is one the funniest in the programme!

Not to mention the giant game of Buzz Off, driving his car off a cliff, getting done by an avalanche and shooting himself with a stapler.

He's a legend!

+100

and he should be in Heroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Probably Fr. Brendan Smyth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

This is gonna be unpopular, but I can't stand Richard Wilson, so his character in the episode where they visited the caves...

or

Fr. Faye the monkey priest - pointless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Ruu wrote: »
    Father Purcell.

"Well this is a piece of advice my father gave to me. This refers not only to lagging, but all forms of insulation: he said "dont ever"...no, wait, it was "always"...no, "never" - oh, I forgot. Never mind. Whats your favourite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm?

I didn't particularly like the episode with Brendan Grace (as Father Fintan Stack) probably because of him, can't stand the man.

"One is the sound of a fridge door and the other is a man humming. You never really hear a woman humming do you? I knew a woman once but she died shortly afterwards"

However that was Brendan Graces fines hour as Fr Stack :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There are no annoying characters in Fr Ted, except those by design. The vast majority of the characters have annoying quirks, but that's the whole point.

Some people seem to be confusing the character with the actor. Lots of people hate Graham Norton, for example, but that's not to say that Fr Noel is to be hated.

One of my least favorite characters was Fr Stone, it was still a good episode, but there was just too much of him in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Lots of people hate Graham Norton

I think Graham Norton i always in character. Never really understood this "hate" thing. Graham is not my cup of tea, I have had to watch the show a few times - I think it crass, but it is of the age we are in.

in general though I dont watch him, so I dont hate him. Nobody is forcing anybody to watch him, so hatred is pathological.

that said I really really really hate Jimmy Carr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

All those previous charcters mentioned there are great. There isnt one who I don't like except for Mrs Doyle. She annoys me with the gwan bits, I never found them funny at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

However that was Brendan Graces fines hour as Fr Stack :D

That Father Stack episode is one of my favourites :)

'' While you were out, I got the keys to your car. And drove it into a big wall. And if you don't like it, tough. I've had my fun, and that's all that matters. ''

''You're sittin' there, watching those young boys runnin around in shorts with a big smile on your face. Ye dirty feckers.''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yeah, I agree on the Mrs.Doyle thing and Father Jack's "drink" stuff was not exactly the most spohisticated humour I've ever seen. On the hundredth time hearing it it had lost its side-splitting quality I think.

Some of the episodes are very good but in broad terms I always thought the programme was humour for slow-learners where the joke was signposted a mile off and then rammed down your throat. Remember the one with Fr Ted doing the 'Nazi' salute with the spec of dirt on the window as a 'moustache' - you wouldn't see something that clumsy and awkward in the local primary school play. I think it doesn't hold a candle to some of the other British comedy shows.

But it's amazing how upset some people become when there's any criticism of the programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

jor el wrote: »
    that's not to say that Fr Noel is to be hated.

You were there at the turnstiles
    With the wind at your heels
    You stretched for the stars
    And you know how it feels
    To reach too high
    Too far
    Too soon
    You saw the whole of the moon!

My favourite was Windy Shephard Henderson, even tho only ever mentioned once in one scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I was going to say Father Stack (the whole jungle music thing annoyed me) but then someone put up his brilliant quotes. He was hilarious.

I don't think there were any out and out annoying characters in the show. The ones that are annoying to other characters are made annoying for comedic effect. Although I found the Rugged Island Dougal (played by Don Wycherley, can't remember the chracter's name) a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Although I found the Rugged Island Dougal (played by Don Wycherley, can't remember the chracter's name) a bit pointless.

Cyril McDuff: "Did we win, Dick ?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Absolutely - if they were annoying, it was because they were supposed to be annoying.

Ironically, two of the ones that weren't annoying then, have been making up for it ever since i.e. Ardal O'Hanlon and Pauline McLynn.

Even though they were written to be annoying, and ham acting made Father Ted, some of them just couldn't pull it off. Down to Bad casting and not baing able "get" the show. Cowboys Ted,Cowboys!

Advertisement