Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008-2009 NHL Season Thread

Options
  • 26-09-2008 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

Well, for those of you who have paying atention, the NHL pre-season is well underway. The NHL Season O-ficially starts 04 October in Prague when the Penguins and Rangers meet up for two games.

My Chicago Blackhawks look to be much improved (on paper) as the excitemtn is back in the United Center for the first time in a decade. Off-season additions Brian Campbell and Christobal Huet were the top D-man and Goalie available on 01 July.

Sophomores Patrick Kane and newly named Captain Jonathin Toews will be expected to lead this team, along with (a hopefully healthy) Martin Havlat.

The D will be lead by new addition Cambell, along with All Star Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrok and former first rounder Cam Barker.

I am hoping to see a much need boost on the PP this season with the addition of Campbell as well as the maturisation of the 'kids'.

I'll be flying out for the start of the season to take in three or four games.

Happier days are ahead for the 'Madhouse on Madison'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭cena

do you think nasn well be showing the first for free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

cena wrote: »

I am a NASN subscriber so I am not sure how to answer that, but I fully expect to see the NHL opener in Prague to be broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Last season they showed the two openers for free but I'm not too sure this time around. They're showing all the European games live anyway.

Gonchar is out for quite a while it seems, which is an unspeakably big loss for the Pens. I'm expecting a solid season but not as expectant this time round. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Just can't wait for it to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MIght have showed the ones last year for free since they where in London, i dont mind I subscribe to Setanta and get NASN.

I am looking into trying to get over to the Allstar game this season, should be good with celebrating 100 years of the Habs

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Last season they showed the two openers for free but I'm not too sure this time around. They're showing all the European games live anyway.

Gonchar is out for quite a while it seems, which is an unspeakably big loss for the Pens. I'm expecting a solid season but not as expectant this time round. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Just can't wait for it to start.

I would hope your expectations would be higher this time this year than this time last year.

They will be fine as the season progresses.

Montreal do look to be the Beast in the East in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

cena wrote: »

Accoding to the sky planner NASN is free all this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭cena

was nice to see nasn show some hockey for free today. wouldn't mind having this channel, only i can't afford it due to been out of work over an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I expect another big season from Ovechkin and the Capitals.

Hopefully, the Leafs will push on a bit. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

Hopefully, the Leafs will push on a bit. :o

I think most Leafs fans are just going to sit back and debate whether or not they should take Tavares or Hedman at the draft.

I think most Leafs fans are just going to sit back and debate whether or not they should take Tavares or Hedman at the draft.

Don't worry .....they'll figure out a way to screw that up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

How are the Bruins shaping up this season?

I didnt see their game the weekend but do they have a good chance of making the play-offs again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

hope habs go all the way for their 100th season, also to keep up their record of winning a stanley cup in every decade... this is their last chance to do so..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patrickincork

Watched the Leafs against the Redwings, and the Leafs impressed me that night. They seemed to fight the extra bit for everything. From what i had been hearing over there, they were written off already. Pity the Habs stuffed them on Saturday tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

The Leafs started strong then stunk vs Habs.

The Flames startesd strong for a period vs Vancouver, then stunk the next two periods. Ref helped the Canuck cause in the rematch. Then we beat Colorado. Another topsyturvy season at the Saddledome.

I am going to go get tickets on Saturday for the game vs Boston on Oct 30.

The chill winds have started to blow from the North, we see snow on the mountains, winter is close behind and hockey has started.

The good about being a Canadian. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The Leafs started strong then stunk vs Habs.

The Flames startesd strong for a period vs Vancouver, then stunk the next two periods. Ref helped the Canuck cause in the rematch. Then we beat Colorado. Another topsyturvy season at the Saddledome.

I am going to go get tickets on Saturday for the game vs Boston on Oct 30.

The chill winds have started to blow from the North, we see snow on the mountains, winter is close behind and hockey has started.

The good about being a Canadian. :)

The bad being the fact you live in Calgary? :P :D

mod9maple wrote: »
    The bad being the fact you live in Calgary? :P :D
    ya you.

Well the Flames continue to struggle. Time for Kipper to be given a rest.

Got my tickets for the Boston game on the 30th.

Flames are cooking now. Canucks faltering (hee-hee). Oilers having trouble putting the puck in the net.

Looking forward to the Bruins Flames game tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Freshly squash

Crushing victory for Flyers last night. They probably deserved a break after the rough start to the season.

Enjoyable evening last night. 3-2 victory for the Flames, 5 in a row. makes me feel guilty for thinking they were garbage after just 4 games.

My Blackhawks are off until Sunday when they will face the Flames in the United Center.

Should make for a great night in the UC as the Hawks are currently leading the NHL in attendance at the moment.

What a difference a year makes.

• Advertisement

We have fallen on hard times the last couple of games. Should be a good one on Sunday.

We've got Nashville tomorrow night. I should see most of the game as my boys soccer team is selling teh 50/50 tickest at the 'dome.

Wild one at the 'dome last night.

5-0 lead and hang on to win 7-6. At least got the win. :)

Wild one at the 'dome last night.

5-0 lead and hang on to win 7-6. At least got the win. :)

I preffered last night in the United Center.

6-1 Blackhawks.

Toews FINALLY puts one past the netminder. Ther kid has been fighting hard all season and finally gets a 'friendly bounce' past Kipper. Hopefully the folld gates will open for him now.

Kipper was stellar at times, and did not deserve that sort of beaating. He looked a hell of a lot better than Huet last night.

Hopefully the Hawks can keep this momentum going at home, because the circus is coming to town and they'll be on the road for the better part of three weeks.

The Calgary - Chicago game was on pay-per-view and I'm cheap so I didn't see it. :)

Nice win over the Leafs last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Freshly squash

That Red Wings-Pens game from two nights ago was the best game of the season so far. They should just show it to people who know nothing about the sport. That would have converted anyone.

That Red Wings-Pens game from two nights ago was the best game of the season so far. They should just show it to people who know nothing about the sport. That would have converted anyone.

As a Blackhawk fan, I laugh at anything 'bad' that happens to the Red Wings and this just made my season.

Did the Pens turn around and blow a three goal lead last night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

The Calgary - Chicago game was on pay-per-view and I'm cheap so I didn't see it. :)

Nice win over the Leafs last night.

How much do they charge for PPV games Brian?

Anyway Bruins looking class at the moment. Five in a row now and a class win over the Candiens on Thursday. Really want to beat the Rangers tonight though:D

Babybing wrote: »
    How much do they charge for PPV games Brian?

Anyway Bruins looking class at the moment. Five in a row now and a class win over the Candiens on Thursday. Really want to beat the Rangers tonight though:D
    On regular TV:
    $13.95 per game. You can buy the whole 10 game package for $119.95

For HD:
    $15.95 or $139.95 for the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

• Advertisement

All Star Balloting. We the fans can vote for the players to start in the All-Star game.

Advertisement