Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage beaten up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Republic of Telly is great. you're obviously laugh at the moon.
    That's what I've been hearing everywhere! Last night I finally saw it and it didn't live up to the hype. The only bit I found funny was mocking Pat Kenny. Maybe it was just a bad episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

as far as i can see he is the extreme version of the typical irish prick :pac:

which is nothing to be annoyed/scared/hated at all,you know he has no balls and thus you need to own him back with calm face and stand strong on your ground to fight him back.hmmmm...maybe i should try to get into his comedy show one day :P

lol at the tags of this thread:
    about time!, andrews, big nosed wanker, bray wanderers, criminally unfunny, degsy 4 dave 4eva, degsy has no alibi, degsy is in hiding, degsy will kill next time, face aids, facekicker?, fail at life, g'wan degsy!, good man degsy, i have no friends, i love degsy, it wasnt me!!, justifiable violence, karma, nepotism, nice one degsy!, not in the face, reap what u sow, savage beating, why is degsy bald

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

seraphimvc wrote: »
    lol at the tags of this thread:
    about time!, andrews, big nosed wanker, bray wanderers, criminally unfunny, degsy 4 dave 4eva, degsy has no alibi, degsy is in hiding, degsy will kill next time, face aids, facekicker?, fail at life, g'wan degsy!, good man degsy, i have no friends, i love degsy, it wasnt me!!, justifiable violence, karma, nepotism, nice one degsy!, not in the face, reap what u sow, savage beating, why is degsy bald

I think Degsy needs his own show... where he gets to interview people like Dave MuckSavage and Bono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

seraphimvc wrote: »

I went over to Degsy's place this morning as I wasn't getting any replys after the show finished last night. Was worried as I knew he'd watch it just out of morbid curiosity more than anything, even though he doesn't think much of the guy.

Anyway, he wasn't there but I took this photo through the window which I think speaks for itself ..

Pic ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Didn't watch a second of it, read some the posts here and he seems to be a complete obnioxious w@nker. But it's typical of whoever runs RTE2's light entertainment dept. trying to push ' alternative ' comedy.

Apart from Podge and Rodge who were hilarious, but McSavage, Kathleen Lynch, Langerland, Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly etc are just hopeless, silly and childish. Thing is I've heard Kathleen Lynch's husband is important in RTE, the d!ckhead who plays Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly used to work in RTE. Probably McSavage and those created and sold Langerland to RTE had connections to RTE. Cronyism as usual from a state run body :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm beginning to think that all you have to do is become a stand up comic, hang in there for a year or three, gain some kind of noteriety, kiss a little behind and hey presto you've got yourself a show on RTE! Every Irish comedian of any kind of note will eventually get their own run on RTE or at least guest on some other person's comedy show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

McArmalite wrote: »
    Didn't watch a second of it, read some the posts here and he seems to be a complete obnioxious w@nker.

So wait - u decided he was a wanker based purely on the opinion of boardsie's without having seen him for yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Had to wiki him to find out who he is. This is what came up:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    David Andrews is an exceptionally unfunny Irish comedian who works under the pseudonym of David McSavage.[1] His career stems largely from the fact of having family as current and former members of Dáil_Éireann and a cousin as one of the highest earners in Ireland's national broadcaster. Therefore Andrews, and generations of his family before can be considered spongers and are subsisided enormously at the Irish Tax payers expense for no discernable reason other than their lineage. Nepotism is far from dead in 21st Century Ireland. McSavage has performed at national and international comedy festivals including the Edinburgh Festival[2] and the Kilkenny Comedy Festival. He has made several appearances in Danish television Stand-up.dk and "Talegaver til børn" (Oral presents for children) - Charity show.
    McSavage is a member of one of Ireland's most established political families. His father is the prominent former Fianna Fáil politician David Andrews[3], and his brother is the Fianna Fáil politician Barry Andrews. He is a nephew of former TD and MEP Niall Andrews, and his cousin Chris Andrews is a TD for Dublin South East. He is also a first cousin of RTÉ presenter Ryan Tubridy.
    He is known for being performing on streets in Dublin City Centre, where he has been arrested for casual trading [4][5][6] on Grafton Street due to providing copies of his DVD for purchase while performing. His routine mainly consists of improvised songs and comments about passing pedestrians, who may or may not notice that they are the subject of humour.
    McSavage's 'humour' involves making offensive suggestions, including, but not limited to, a father have sex with his young daughter [7], incest, casual racism and more. He once threatened to rape a heckler [8] during one of his stand-up performances. Ireland's largest discussion forum, boards.ie, carries a thread [9] in which many other criticisms of McSavage's style can be found.
    In 2008, he devised and featured in Headwreckers, an episode of Channel 4's Comedy Lab show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McSavage

Sorry if this has been posted before but made me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

briany wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think that all you have to do is become a stand up comic, hang in there for a year or three, gain some kind of noteriety, kiss a little behind and hey presto you've got yourself a show on RTE! Every Irish comedian of any kind of note will eventually get their own run on RTE or at least guest on some other person's comedy show.

No I think you just need to stand up for a while and dress badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

my guess is degsy wrote that whole passage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

Looks like a lot of people are parlaying their personal hatred of McSavage into dismissal of his comedy sketch show.

I think the show had two or three rough-around-the-edges decent funny bits. It is certainly no classic. No bellylaughs. I won't be buying the DVD (if one ever appears).

But The Savage Eye (based on the first episode and prior pilot) is streets ahead of typical RTE comedy muck like The English Class, Leave It To Mrs O'Brien, This Is Nightlive, and Upwardly Mobile.

That said, being streets ahead of those abominations doesn't mean that T.S.E. is anything other than a middling comedy effort itself.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1060811

Watch 3:20 to 4 minutes and tell me that's not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

So out of a 26 minute show 40 seconds are funny?

D wrote: »
    Jesus, there's more obviously, did you want me to compose a list or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

In fairness that would be a pretty good return by RTE standards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

jumpguy wrote: »

That's not funny.

Sorry: couldn't resist.

I wonder were half those earnest types (gushing about Ireland) acting or were they set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

very over congested show. Too much excess around the skit. They should take a leaf from monty python and cut down on all the crap around the skit. Do we need an annoying narrator setting up each sequence?

it literally should go from vox pop to sketch and back again.

All that crap before the 3:20 joke pretty much killed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Show was a load of nonsense, not a bit funny. Typical RTE west-brit anti-Irish humour..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well it would be more than some RTE "Comedy" shows could manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

That was so painful I could only watch 6 minutes. Utter shíte.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    very over congested show. Too much excess around the skit. They should take a leaf from monty python and cut down on all the crap around the skit. Do we need an annoying narrator setting up each sequence?

it literally should go from vox pop to sketch and back again.

All that crap before the 3:20 joke pretty much killed it.
    That is true and hopefully it's something they'll do. The whole president joke that ran throughout the show was very unfunny and boring. The crazy barman (and Seamus Heaney) though was hilarious, and set up many of the best laughs of the show. It's only it's second episode (I think, 1st after the pilot, I THINK) so y'know, early days yet. Personally it was abit too much full of filler to draw it out, but I still liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

That's not funny, in fact its particularly unfunny.

When I saw this thread resurface I thought he'd gotten another beating. *sigh* Not this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

RGDATA! wrote: »
    yeah let's abolish RTE because they don't do good comedy. we can get our news, current affairs, sports and documentaries from TV3, sure most people don't care about that sort of **** anyway. nice to see someone coming forward with a sensible solution.

Where did I suggest that?
    but do let's abolish RTE, because it's utter shyte. and expensive shyte at that.

they pander to the needs of Fianna Fail. they have no good current affairs programs (i mean for fuck sake what exactly is pat kenny on the frontline of?) TV3 documentaries? where? and if you can watch the RTE news in blissful ignorance of its flagrant pro-government bias, then i feel genuinely sorry for you sir.

also, i've looked at five minutes of dave mc savage's show so that i could remove my own bias from the equation.

and it's shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

genericguy wrote: »
    Where did I suggest that?
    you didn't. i was being facetious because
    a) that seemed to be maybe what you were implying in the context of a dave mcsavage thread
    b) given that you didn't elabourate i was hoping to provoke you to maybe clear up what the **** you *were* talking about. and i'm glad you did - somewhat
    genericguy wrote: »
    but do let's abolish RTE, because it's utter shyte. and expensive shyte at that.

they pander to the needs of Fianna Fail. they have no good current affairs programs (i mean for fuck sake what exactly is pat kenny on the frontline of?) TV3 documentaries? where? and if you can watch the RTE news in blissful ignorance of its flagrant pro-government bias, then i feel genuinely sorry for you sir.

also, i've looked at five minutes of dave mc savage's show so that i could remove my own bias from the equation.

and it's shit.

i think frontline (and Q&A before it), prime time and the week in politics are good current affairs show that contribute to the public dialogue in this country. (i don't think you're supposed to infer from "frontline" that pat kenny is on the "front line" of anything himself.
    but he is at least an articulate and intelligent broadcaster who has always been comfortable with irish current affairs, and i think he's doing a good job.) i wouldn't tend to get too bogged down with the personality of the presenter of a show like that anyway, rather whether they do their job well and the show educates its audience which i think it does

the idea of a Fianna Fail bias is touted a lot, but personally i've never really seen it, or at least for all its supposed flagrancy it's had no effect on me - I have never felt inclined to vote FF and certainly don't at the moment.

you'd be hard-pushed to point to a single media outlet in the western world that hasn't been accused of bias by someone

instead of feeling patronisingly sorry for me i'd be interested to hear where you think they've been so flagrant in their bias and educate me and anyone else that doesn't necessarily see it.

The reason this thread will always remain open is becuase the chances are that we will no doubt be back on topic quite soon.

As for the the show, it was sh*te. There is one character that has potential and that is the 'homophobic barman'. There is something about him that has you almost laughing - but then he speaks and the material is crap.

To give McSavage a little credit the way he delivers the barman's lines and the physical humour is fine but without good gags and lines it's just as sh*te as the rest if the show.

What also is stupid is to have someone like Aidan Bishop on the show and have him deliver to weak ass lines. I like Aidan, he has good material. I have seen him loads in The International and he has some good stuff.

One cat of his is putting on a bra and having a few guys try to take it off him as fast as possible. Not funny in it self but Aidan has loads of gags that make it very funny.

Now why not get Aidan to write some stuff or any other good comedian?

If I had to take a guess I'd say he rubber stamps everything and if someone does write good material then he most likely f*cks it up on them by changing it. He comes accross as an arrogant guy to me and I doubt he is an easy guy to say 'Hey Dave, that sketch idea is not great".

I'm surprised there has been no complaints about the 'magic wand' gag. Can't imagine many people. even in the UK, getting away with that.

I remember a French and Saunders sketch was banned by the BBC and you can't see it to this day. It was a group of preteen girls all with fake boobs in some contest I think?

The funniest thing on the show was the old boy who said he went to the Theatre and liked the play and then said 'But I didn't like audience" :confused: That cracked me up for some reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

k99_64 wrote: »
    David Andrews is an exceptionally unfunny Irish comedian who works under the pseudonym of David McSavage.[1] His career stems largely from the fact of having family as current and former members of Dáil_Éireann and a cousin as one of the highest earners in Ireland's national broadcaster. Therefore Andrews, and generations of his family before can be considered spongers and are subsisided enormously at the Irish Tax payers expense for no discernable reason other than their lineage. Nepotism is far from dead in 21st Century Ireland.

Was that your work k99_64? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deco1610

Has anybody got the audio clip of him and his answering machine message?

Think angry David combining hate with his ****e comedy

Discovered today that I will be supporting McSavage in a few weeks time. Only discovered it when someone offered to sell me a ticket and I noticed my name in the line up. Should be fun.

• Advertisement

Discovered today that I will be supporting McSavage in a few weeks time. Only discovered it when someone offered to sell me a ticket and I noticed my name in the line up. Should be fun.

In The International again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement