Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3x01;02: The Second Coming; The Butterfly Effect **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I liked both episodes. Alot of questions answered; Can Claire die? Does Sylar eat brains (very funny scene)? Does Ma Petrelli have powers? Is Mohindar turning into Venom (Spiderman)?

Nathan came back to life because he was given Adam's blood in season 2 to cure his burns, and just like Mohindar, he attained Adam's abilities, so he now, just like Adam and Claire, cannot die. As for the invisible man ((Linderman), hey maybe he gained the invisible man's powers? Sorry, just thinking out load), that's just mad!

As for Peter's scar; as he is now in the body of Jesse (is that his name), he might only be able to use Jesse's abilities, and not his own. Therefore, he might get cut somehow when in Jesse's body, and when he goes back to himself, the scar might transfer with him, as he did not have the ability to regenerate in Jesse's body.

And Sylar is Peter/Nathan's brother!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm curious, why is season 3 as bad as that? Examples, must have examples.

Mohinder, terrible character and terrible actor.
    Nathan and the whole god thing, more terrible writing.
    Clare being chased by Sylar in her house, he can't even open a screen door yet can through her against a wall with his mind. Come on.
    Heroes is another example of a good TV show gone into rapid decline and fanboys refusing to see the obvious truth.

Baldie wrote: »

And Sylar is Peter/Nathan's brother!!!

where did you get that from?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

so why does he need to take off their head and find a particular point on their brain, and he touched it ,took something from it??

I guess he just has to examine a section of the brain to understand it,

FX Meister wrote: »

The very last line of The Butterfly Effect!! Were you not watching??

Ma Patrelli: I will help you Gabriel, I'm your mother! (Or something to that extent)

And it's here....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Angela Petrelli suggests she is Sylers mother so at the very least he's a half-brother to Peter

Cabaal wrote: »
    I guess he just has to examine a section of the brain to understand it,

That's Sylars ability...

Quote from heroeswiki;

"Sylar's original ability is the power to determine exactly how things work. Sylar uses this innate ability to discover how to take the abilities of other evolved humans. He believes that Chandra Suresh is correct that the abilities are based in the brain, and several of Sylar's victims have had their skulls opened and brains removed. By studying their brains he is able to determine how their powers work and is able to replicate the abilities himself. "

Baldie wrote: »
    The very last line of The Butterfly Effect!! Were you not watching??

Haven't watched that far yet. Woops!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Clare being chased by Sylar in her house, he can't even open a screen door yet can through her against a wall with his mind. Come on.
    Heroes is another example of a good TV show gone into rapid decline and fanboys refusing to see the obvious truth.
    yeah, but (at it's best) it's good fun.

For realism check out The Wire or for some 'serious' sci-fi Battlestar Galactica is a must.

But for OTT comic book super-hero stuffs... Heroes.

These two episodes were great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Better than Season 2 which would'nt be hard.
    It did move along quite fast and there is a lot going on.
    When I saw Mohinder after his change I thought Cronenbergs "the fly" straight away.
    I think its a good start to the season, hopefully it can get better.

If they keep Mya's character going that will be enough for me....

• Advertisement

sham69 wrote: »
    Better than Season 2 which would'nt be hard.
    It did move along quite fast and there is a lot going on.
    When I saw Mohinder after his change I thought Cronenbergs "the fly" straight away.
    I think its a good start to the season, hopefully it can get better.

If they keep Mya's character going that will be enough for me....

I say keep Mya in this season, she looks alot hotter then last year! Go on mohnidar you good thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Fair enough. I'm excited to see how far down "The Fly" theme of science-gone-wrong they will go.

I agree about Nathan and God, I was a bit like "Hmmm...ok, weird!" and it definitely alludes to BSG's religious slant (The 6 sitting on Gaius' shoulder, pushing him to some greater destiny god has chosen for him, etc.)

I was also there thinking why didn't Clare just throw herself out the window, regenerate and run away. Obviously Sylar was toying with her and the writers were trying to milk the encounter for suspense, but it did seem a bit silly, "Yes, this little chain wrapped around the flimsy wardrobe door will stop the guy with incredible superpowers!"
    Now, when peter and sylar fell off the roof together, Peter regenerated automatically despite appearing to be dead. Can really answer that one per sé, but his proximity to Claire at the time may have been a factor.

It was mentioned by Claude in season 1 that Peter's feelings for these people were what triggered the abilities. He was unaware of this when he and Sylar fell, but must have been thinking of Clare at the time to use the newly absorbed ability.

Future Peter is much better at controlling the powers he has absorbed and can use them far more capably than season 1 Peter. Also, he still has to initially absorb a power and be in close proximity to use this. He absorbs Ted Sprague's power as soon as he approached him and is barely able to control it. He only used Nikki's power at the end of season 1 after she first attacked Sylar, but I don't think he needs to be aware of the power as we have seen with him using Clare's power and also his mother's ability (the dreams he kept having at the start of flying, seeing Nathan, etc.)

Also, its far too great a leap, even for Heroes for Sylar to conveniently be a brother to Nathan and Peter. As we have seen in season 2, Angela Petrelli is able to manipulate people's will through contact and she is already quite adept at using people for her own gains. I think it is more likely she is just using Sylar to round up the escapees. After all, she essentially has a version of Peter who is willing to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,001 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Haven't watched that far yet. Woops!
    Spoiler Alert! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

sham69 wrote: »

Yep, I thought the exact thing: climbing on the wall, strength, speed and an "enhanced" sex drive... that IS an actual scene out of "The Fly"...

Overall though, I liked the two episodes though the whole "saving the world" schtick is getting quite old at this point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Im sure most of Heroes demographic would have ever seen The Fly, myself included.

I'll put up more thoughts if I get time later but for now I'll say that it was a good to great opener. And Syler sitting there examining Claire's brains like a work of art? Fantastic. I didnt think Heroes would be allowed be even close to that graphic on primetime American TV.

It bombed badly in the ratings but lets hope it picks up. The executives wont think twice about chopping something this expensive that isnt bringing in the Ad buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Overall i thought it was very "Meh"

The acting wasnt great, the story was way too convoluted
    how did the thief know that the safe would be open? why didnt people use their various powers? more silly time travel paradoxes? to name but a few

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Well that was a bit shit.

The biggest disappointments were Mohinder and Hiro.(still as annoying as ever)

Sylar dicking around with Claire didn't make any sense either. He usually just pops the head and takes the power.

The rest was passable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

^^^ What Sherifu said, pretty sums up what I was about to say. Passable, but something distinctly lacking in it. But at least there were no begorrahs.

Must get a Hallmark card and send it off, "Get better soon".

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

The whole Ma Petrelli thing could be an indicator that she is mother to all of these evolved humans in that she created the formula to give people superpowers, gave it to themselves and then passed it on to their children. I mean, is the formula something that was created after discovering the abilities in people or was it made to give people their powers in the first place? The chicken and the egg debate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the drama is going down hill:S

1)the first thing you wanna do is go kill your brother??ok,superheroes dont like to talk i get it
    2)ok so sylar get stunned for a sec and you start running away from him,after everything happened from 2 seasons ,claire ,you've done a great job.the scenes are badly done too
    3)again you caught sylar and keep him alive.i .dont .get. it.
    4)the runner thief tells us speed can 'override' time/space?(i dont even know how to push this in a sentence)and let me put it this way ,if i am the runner ,i would just speed run to hiro(any time in any episodes) cut off his finger and back japan get the thing.crazy design of the safe and insane script.after few hours(or maybe less?) the thing get stolen,she is in paris,great,look at the world map please?
    5)mohinder lol

thinking back the time i watched season 1 there is hardly any plot hole,very high rated sci-fi drama IMO.now?:pac: i will watch it to see how's it ends,there is really not exciting as it used to be :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

LFCFan wrote: »
    The whole Ma Petrelli thing could be an indicator that she is mother to all of these evolved humans in that she created the formula to give people superpowers, gave it to themselves and then passed it on to their children. I mean, is the formula something that was created after discovering the abilities in people or was it made to give people their powers in the first place? The chicken and the egg debate again.

Not possible Im afraid, Adam, the immortal character discovered his power in season two a couple of centuries back, in Japan.

I think Mohinder will turn into a giant Cockroach. Mark my words people.

What bugged me were the little things as well but I m not bailing out anytime soon, still one of the best things on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

a cockroach? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

who?
    Where?
    Why?
    What?
    How?

One word should quash any doubts as to the plots credibility.

Wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Forgot to say, Marlo Stanfield. Fuck yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Haven't read the entire thread, but was anybody else a little surprised at the lack of originality in the changes to Mohinder?
    Seemed like a fairly shameless rip off/homage to Cronenberg's remake of The Fly
    Still fairly interested to see what becomes of him next week though...

The runner was one of the worst characters that they've introduced yet, she's kind of purdy though so I'll allow them this one:p

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable 2 episodes, seemed like a welcome return to form to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

enjoyed it but i need to see more of Claire - stunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭topher182

absolutly loved it! glad to have the show back!!

only thing i didnt like. . . did anyone else notice that the whole mohinder thing is alot like the film the fly!!! complete rip off! people who have seen the film the fly will know what im talking about! the parts where he's on the walls an all and the whole sex thing too! completely robbed from the film i wasnt impressed with it at all! other then that smashing episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

topher182 wrote: »
    only thing i didnt like. . . did anyone else notice that the whole mohinder thing is alot like the film the fly!!!

See a couple of posts up. Glad I'm not the only one!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I really enjoyed it, don't see what people are complaining about. The fact that they are switching back and forth between futures means that we could now get conclusive endings to Sylar vs. Peter or Hiro vs. Niki fights for example, they can have two of the biggest heroes fight each other, have one die and return to the status quo which would be enough to keep me watching.

Also, regarding Nathan, does anybody else think that he now has a 6th sense because he died but is still alive. Might be able to talk to the dead heroes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭coillcam

Really want to see what makes Claire "special" She's already special in my eyes *gush*

Now more of Maya in as little clothing is possible. This is the way forward methinks. She is smokin'.

Only thing that bothered me is the fact that the pace of the show is ridiculous. Bombarding you with 30secs of one character and then the next. Unless they slow things down I think it'll be tough to watch the story jump around.

Have to say I am a complete turd though. Got the 2 episodes from my cousins and then proceeded to unwittingly watch no. 2 first :o That pissed me off no end.

Advertisement