Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Gatso Vans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just saw the following in an articvle on the Irish Times:
    The equipment is to be targeted at zones with the highest crash records. Eighty per cent of these zones are to be listed publicly on the Garda website.
    The remaining 20 per cent will remain secret for "covert enforcement" of speeding and other traffic regulations.
    Is this to cover the fact that 8 vans are marked and the old three unmarked ones are 'covert'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Link to the RTE news clip. You will need Real Player to view.

Not highly visable IMO, just regular Garda signs on plain white vans.

As for the blackspots, from the quick look I had at the garda website, relative to the areas I'm familiar with, most appear to be good straight roads, with good visability in both directions, all the better for revenue collection, them to catch unsuspecting motorists, not paying attention to their speed.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0922/roads.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Looks like the entire South Ring Road in Cork is a "black spot"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

MYOB wrote: »
    Admittedly the crossing-traffic dual carriageway section of that road IS very dangerous. The few KM's of grade seperated run-out from the motorway with Jersey barrier, however, isn't. Both standards of road would be 70mph north of the border.

Yeah, that isn't the best spot ... but if you look at the positioning they are talking about, it is M4/N4 which is very obviously focusing on the few Km's of grade separated run-out that you mentioned.

The reasoning behind the choosing of the 'blackspots' seems very vague on the Garda website. If they could offer some of their research up there too it would be good, but don't think that will happen.

They are contradicting themselves completely by saying they are going for a high-vis approach when everything that was shown yesterday actually paints a different picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I won't be surprised when I see the vans on the N4 in Sligo. Most of which is a good road apart from one stretch from Castlebaldwin to Collooney where I know I can go as fast as I like (not that I will) because the guards will never be there. It has a very high accident rate and I know a crash happened on it on sunday morning with some lads critically injured.

If the guards wanted to stop accidents they would start putting unmarked cars driving along this bit of road and place these gatso vans on safe areas along the road. They won't though because only a few cars speed on this stretch so they won't make as much money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Anyone know if the new vans are laser or radar speed detectors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

n4 into sligo is a motorway spec strech of road with a 100kmph limit

apparently its a black spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

dunno, but it said on the telly report that they could operate in bad weather and @ night.

BOOOOOOOOO..............!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Suprisingly RADAR - The systems called the 'MultaRadar C'

Its horizontally polarised radar (K band). But low powered, so harder to detect.

You'll need a pretty decent detector to get this in time and detection range on a **** detector would be >100m (They snap your plate 10-15m) A good one would get you at least 300m depending on the scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 adharc

Question 1 for the gardai: Why was Cowen's driver not prosecuted for (a)exceeding the speed limit and (b)observed and witnessed going over a white line. This should be investigated by the Garda ombudsman.

Question 2 for the gardai: Why do you park your Gatso and other cars on the hard shoulder of motorways and fast roads. This is very dangerous and indeed the most dangerous part of a motorway for collisions and serious accidents.

Question 3 for the gardai: Why do you not prosecute people for parking on the hard shoulder of a motorway to answer phones etc (ie non-emergency).

Finally I totally agree that the M4/N6 junction is artificial and is built by the M4 contracters so 120kph should exist for a few more km towards Mullingar and should have been upgraded to motorway status.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Answer to question 1, a garda on duty cannot be prosecuted for breaking traffic laws such as speeding as it is done in the course of his duties.

Answer to Q3: how do you know they don't prosecute people?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Query........

A quiet Saturday morning.

The same check point on the Naas road, the same day , the same speed, two fines, both for exactly the same offence ,91 KMH in a 60.

Two hours time diference, going in either direction.

What are the chances firstly & secondly will both fines & penalty points have to be paid along with the double helping of penalty points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Saw one of them parked behind the bus stop in Lucan just past the penny hill pub again.

Sneaky sneaky

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Query........

The same check point on the Naas road, the same day , the same speed, two fines, both for exactly the same offence ,91 KMH in a 60.

What are the chances firstly & secondly will both fines & penalty points have to be paid along with the double helping of penalty points?

Waterford ring road by any chance??

It's two separate offences so unless they don't send them out or forgot to take down something then you'll get two fines and four points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Waterford ring road by any chance??

No, the Nass Road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Maybe i'm missing something here, but why wouldn't both fines be paid and two sets of points handed out? The first offence has nothing to do with the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Query........

Two seperate offences at two seperate time. You must pay both or it will result in a summons to court.

Its the same as if your caught in March and September. No difference in the eyes of the law im afraid. You committed two seperate offences so 4 points im afraid.

Saw one of them parked behind the bus stop in Lucan just past the penny hill pub again.

Sneaky sneaky
    That one is frequently there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

For any gardai that feel they are not shooting fish in a barrel to collect revenue:

For one month - do not issue any penalty points or fines. Tell your boss that you stood outside a school everyday to deter motorists from speeding.

Then when you see the telling off you get, you'll probably resort back to collecting :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jmck87 wrote: »
    For any gardai that feel they are not shooting fish in a barrel to collect revenue:

For one month - do not issue any penalty points or fines. Tell your boss that you stood outside a school everyday to deter motorists from speeding.

Then when you see the telling off you get, you'll probably resort back to collecting :rolleyes:

Hope that comment isnt directed at me.

1. I refuse to operate the Robot (GATSO) van. Have refused for some time now!!

2. for the month of DEC I never issue tickets.....o the shock no telling off!!!

3. Hi visibility policing is what we do. I do in fact sit outside schools and colleges as do a lot of my collegues.

Just because you dont see us doing it doesnt mean its not done. Yes Gatso is shootong fish in a barrell.......but if your caught.....arent YOU the one breaking the law???? Is it not the same as getting stopped by a Garda on the road with a speed gun???

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

kbannon wrote: »
    That one is frequently there!

I'd say its the same with the one I got double caught with, at the Fox & Goose pub ?

I'd say its the same with the one I got double caught with, at the Fox & Goose pub ?
    There is something like 6 new ones in white plus the older original ones. Either way, it doesn't really matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 railto

the thing i hate about the vans is that they can be anywhere and you wont know. Up north there MUST be a sign stating that there is a camera within the next mile or so. I have known people to get tickets quashed as the ticket said where exactly on the road they were clocked, but there was no sign so the judge threw it out.

Have seen a navy ish colour van neat pennyhill with back door open and what looked like a radar gun sitting out the back, was walking towards grange castle and saw it, so they arent all white with garda emblems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

2. for the month of DEC I never issue tickets.....o the shock no telling off!!!

3. Hi visibility policing is what we do. I do in fact sit outside schools and colleges as do a lot of my collegues.

Just because you dont see us doing it doesnt mean its not done. Yes Gatso is shootong fish in a barrell.......but if your caught.....arent YOU the one breaking the law???? Is it not the same as getting stopped by a Garda on the road with a speed gun???

Not directed at you mate.

Month of December the powers that be have too much on their plate managing the reserves...do it for this month and let me know.

High visibility is what you personally do. We need more like you.

If Im caught Im commiting a victimless crime yip. Oh no...67kmph on a 60 kmph stretch of dual carraige way :rolleyes:

jmck87 wrote: »
    Not directed at you mate.

Month of December the powers that be have too much on their plate managing the reserves...do it for this month and let me know.

High visibility is what you personally do. We need more like you.

If Im caught Im commiting a victimless crime yip. Oh no...67kmph on a 60 kmph stretch of dual carraige way :rolleyes:

Enough on their plate managing what reserves???

TBH I cannot believe anyone gave you a ticket for this speed. It seems very unrealistic to me. If they did then im very suprised and disappointed.

railto wrote: »
    the thing i hate about the vans is that they can be anywhere and you wont know. Up north there MUST be a sign stating that there is a camera within the next mile or so. I have known people to get tickets quashed as the ticket said where exactly on the road they were clocked, but there was no sign so the judge threw it out.
    I was under the belief that something like this applies under UK law with regard to fixed cameras but not mobile cameras such as those within Gatso vans or police cars. Are you sure that you are correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Lads and Lassies - there's a simple way to end this argument, and its the solution to all your problems! Just stick to the speed limit!

Everyone seems to know where these vans are frequently parked up too, so there really is no excuse to get caught by one.
    The amount of people that i see go by me at 80-100kmph up the Naas road after i've already spotted the van outside McDonalds is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

I've seen a few of them, All white with no markings at all...

Seen one yesterdsay on chapelzod bypass coming out of dublin, Just before the onramp for traffic coming from bally fermot, where the bus lane stops, Van was literally beat up into the hedge, Id say they had to take some of the hedge out of the grill after they left...

WHAT THE FECK IS THE IDEA OF HIDING IT IN THERE? HIGHLY VISIBLE POLICING ARIGHT!!!!!

Is there actually someone inside while thats left there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement