Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Gatso Vans

Options
  • 22-09-2008 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hitech-speeding-traps-hit-the-road-1479689.html
    A fleet of state-of-the-art Gatso vans -- mobile speed detection vehicles -- will hit the nation's roads from today.

The launch comes after Taoiseach Brian Cowen became involved in a speeding controversy yesterday.

The eight Gatso vans are fitted with a hi-tech devices which were not available in the two vehicles they are replacing.

Senior gardai believe they will make the Traffic Corps more effective. It will be expanded further later this year.

The vans will be deployed at targeted locations where serious road accidents have taken place over the past few years. Senior officers drew up a list of some 700 blackspots after analysing accident statistics.

One officer said last night : "A lot of research has been carried out to ensure that the Gatsos are used to maximum effect to reduce the death and serious injury toll on the roads".

Details of the blackspots will be published on the Garda website and motorists regularly using those roads will be encouraged to slow down.

"We would prefer if the level of speeding was reduced voluntarily by motorists adopting safer driving habits rather than being pushed into taking great care by increased detections."

The vans will be launched today by Justice Minister Dermot Ahern and Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy at the Garda College in Templemore.

The Government wants to see the number of deaths and serious injuries cut by 5pc this year. The Garda have been asked to focus particularly on reducing accidents among young drivers.

Interesting to see where these vans will be deployed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Newspaper wrote:
    The launch comes after Taoiseach Brian Cowen became involved in a speeding controversy yesterday.

:confused:, whats that about?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I wonder if the n7 after the redcow heading towards town is a blackspot :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I chopped this bit off... (from the same article)
    Meanwhile, the Government has said it will not be commenting on allegations that the Taoiseach's State car was speeding while transporting Mr Cowen to the Fianna Fail think-in last week.

Mr Cowen's car was travelling at 106kph in an 80kph zone in Galway and passing another car on what appeared to be a continuous white line, it was claimed in a Sunday newspaper.

The Taoiseach's office said it was a matter for the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I read yesterday's Mail on Sunday which had sequential photos of a Merc which had Brian Cowen in the passenger seat. The article said that the car was being driven at excessive speeed and that it had crossed a single white line while overtaking. It is claimed that they used a calibrated radar gun to check the speed.

Link http://www.mailonsunday.ie/news/worldnews/article-1058823/Irish-bid-clamp-road-deaths--MoS-clocks-leaders-cars-speeding-112mph.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The eight Gatso vans are fitted with a hi-tech devices which were not available in the two vehicles they are replacing.
    Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Was or is there not some site that has members of the public listing where they've seen speed checks and gatsos ? Can't remember the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Like what?

Plasma screens, dvd player and a coffee machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Like what?

This crowd have the tender http://ww.tele-traffic.co.uk

It'll be probably be along the lines of this:

http://www.teletrafficuk.com/commander.htm

Don't expect any suprises. I'd take a guess that the LTIs have been upgraded
    to the Ultralyte /w Microdigicam and they record on DVD as opposed to VHS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

Like what?

Probably can check more than one lane of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

I've fixed the article for you ;)
    A fleet of state-of-the-art Gatso vans -- mobile speed detection vehicles -- will hit the nation's roads from today.

Senior gardai believe they will make the Traffic Corps more effective. It will be expanded further later this year.

The vans will be deployed at targeted locations where the most revenue can be generated. Senior officers drew up a list of some 700 revenue generating blackspots after analysing previous statistics.

One officer said last night : "A lot of research has been carried out to ensure that the Gatsos are used to maximum effect to increase revenue generation now that the goverment's coffers are quite low.".

Details of the blackspots will be published on the Garda website and motorists regularly using those roads will be encouraged to slow down.

"We would prefer if the level of speeding was reduced voluntarily by motorists adopting safer driving habits rather than being pushed into taking great care by increased detections."

The vans will be launched today by Justice Minister Dermot Ahern and Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy at the Garda College in Templemore.

The Government wants to see the number of deaths and serious injuries cut by 5pc this year. The Garda have been asked to focus particularly on reducing accidents among young drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

lynchie wrote: »
    I've fixed the article for you ;)

The vans will be deployed at targeted locations where the most revenue can be generated. Senior officers drew up a list of some 700 revenue generating blackspots after analysing previous statistics.

One officer said last night : "A lot of research has been carried out to ensure that the Gatsos are used to maximum effect to increase revenue generation now that the goverment's coffers are quite low.".

:D sounds more like the truth to me...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yeah, I think so ...

I'm looking at areas that would be familiar to me (Westmeath). They really are having a laugh trying to say that this area is a black spot for fatal accidents due to speeding:
    Westmeath 13 km Kinnegad 53.450000 -7.093611 The Downs 53.505556 -7.244167 N4/M4

It's where the motorway meets the Dual carriageway, and the speed limit drops from 120 kmph to 100 kmph.

Sickens me the way they publicise it as high visibility policing of dangerous roads to cut down the road fatality rate by 5% this year.

Lads, if you actually want to do that, include some of the back roads between Tullamore/Mullingar , Tullamore/Athlone, Mullingar/Athlone as your black spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This crowd have the tender http://ww.tele-traffic.co.uk

It'll be probably be along the lines of this:

http://www.teletrafficuk.com/commander.htm

Don't expect any suprises. I'd take a guess that the LTIs have been upgraded
    to the Ultralyte /w Microdigicam and they record on DVD as opposed to VHS

Thanks for this......if you're right, then its NISSAN PRIMASTAR/RENAULT or OPEL/VAUXHALL VIVARO's to look out for on our roads -

the olde high roof transits used to easy to spot. Gonna have to keep these new van types front of mind.:eek:

Thanks for this......if you're right, then its NISSAN PRIMASTAR/RENAULT or OPEL/VAUXHALL VIVARO's to look out for on our roads -

the olde high roof transits used to easy to spot. Gonna have to keep these new van types front of mind.:eek:

Just to note, these new vans will be marked.

Just to note, these new vans will be marked.

Great!:)
    with what elvis - high viz markings etc?

Great!:)
    with what evlis - high viz markings etc?

I don't know, reports on RTE news at lunch just said they'd be marked as normal Garda vehicles.

How about big clear WRITING on all panels SAYING.....

WANKER INSIDE SHOOTING FISH IN A BARREL!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

F**king joke if it is ! Pinnock Hill being a prime example. This was the old Dublin-Belfast road with a 60mph(100 kmh) speed limit. They have since widened it by about 33% in recent years and obviously the M1 replaced it ten odd years ago but yet they have reduced the speed limit to 36mph (60kmh). LOB. I can count on one hand the amount of crashes I have seen on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Sizzler wrote: »
    F**king joke if it is ! Pinnock Hill being a prime example. This was the old Dublin-Belfast road with a 60mph(100 kmh) speed limit. They have since widened it by about 33% in recent years and obviously the M1 replaced it ten odd years ago but yet they have reduced the speed limit to 36mph (60kmh). LOB. I can count on one hand the amount of crashes I have seen on it.

Thats right, the amount of crashes you have seen!!!!! but there was probably alot more you didn't see. I'm presuming of course that you are not the type of person to sit at the roadside for the past 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

TheNog wrote: »
    Thats right, the amount of crashes you have seen!!!!! but there was probably alot more you didn't see. I'm presuming of course that you are not the type of person to sit at the roadside for the past 10 years.
    Nice slant on what I meant :rolleyes:

For avoidance of doubt, its not an accident black spot or a road in the least bit synonymous with accidents.

Seriously man, what's the point in trying to say that the spot the above poster is talking about, is a serious black spot. It's simply not. The same as the area in Westmeath I posted about a couple of posts back.

There are a lot more dangerous spots that are not listed on the Garda website. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Why are they using vans at accident blackspots anyway? Surely a blackspot, which by definition is a dangerous place for traffic, is the last place to park a ruddy great van?!? A fixed speed camera, which wouldn't be anything like as much of a hazard and would be there permanently to make sure drivers slow down at a dangerous spot in the road, would be far more sensible.

The water's lovely in my pool of sarcasm, especially here in the deep end.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Nice slant on what I meant :rolleyes:

For avoidance of doubt, its not an accident black spot or a road in the least bit synonymous with accidents.

But you are giving your point on what you have seen or may have heard from other people but the truth of it is even if you live nearby or drive by that area once or twice a day does not mean you know of every accident that occurs on that stretch. Ok so we could agree that if there was a serious accident you may know about it but what about the minor accidents, near misses or reports of dangerous driving? You probably wouldn't have heard of them.
    Seriously man, what's the point in trying to say that the spot the above poster is talking about, is a serious black spot. It's simply not. The same as the area in Westmeath I posted about a couple of posts back.

There are a lot more dangerous spots that are not listed on the Garda website. It's a joke.

But wasn't there a couple of people killed at The Downs in the last 3-4 years? Anyway other areas you have pointed out such as Mullngar to Tullamore can still be subject to speed checks carried out by gardai with a handheld.

blastman wrote: »
    Why are they using vans at accident blackspots anyway? Surely a blackspot, which by definition is a dangerous place for traffic, is the last place to park a ruddy great van?!? A fixed speed camera, which wouldn't be anything like as much of a hazard and would be there permanently to make sure drivers slow down at a dangerous spot in the road, would be far more sensible.

The water's lovely in my pool of sarcasm, especially here in the deep end.

I think we can presume the vans will not be parked on the road but rather just off the road say at a lay-by, hard shoulder, grass verge etc

But wasn't there a couple of people killed at The Downs in the last 3-4 years? Anyway other areas you have pointed out such as Mullngar to Tullamore can still be subject to speed checks carried out by gardai with a handheld.

Yes, there have been a number of fatal accidents in The Downs in the recent past. A pedestrian was killed on the dual carriageway very late at night. I wont go in to details, but lets say, speeding was most certainly not the cause of the accident. Two people were also killed in May 07 when their car left the road and hit a tree, about two and a half miles away from the dual carriageway, down a back road in the downs.

So why plonk the new GATSO on the section where the motorway ends and speed limits change?!Is it to stop a guy a few miles away, on a completely different road hitting a tree?? I don't think so.

Why don't they publish the reasoning behind the black spots?!

The Mullingar/Tullamore etc. roads may be subject to speed checks by 'gardai with a handheld' but why are they not listed as black spots then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Utter ****e as usual.

Vans will be parked in the usual spots.

Lucan near the penny hill pub.
    M4 after the roadworks at leixlip

N7 where the Garda BMW parks on the offramps
    N7 Church coming into the Village to catch people who dont slow down in time(name i cant remember)
    Toumgraney leaving and entering the village

Galway ring road by ballybrit
    Galway Headford road roundabout

Ennis dual carriageways to limerick and new bypass
    Ennis Lehinch road

Iv only seen a speed trap outside a school twice in 10 years both were on a saturday and sunday

EDIT:
    One other question no one else asked.

If a tabloid rag could catch cowen speeding in an obvious setup (gun,location,camera). How often does his driver drive like a twat. Quite a bit if you can justify that effort to catch him.

I speed im guilty of that but his speed was excessive and was in the driving Ban zone + 40mph. Unless Cowen was dieing and on the way to the hospital its not excusable.

Saw then there on the 6 o clock news.

They are all high roof white Transits with standard Garda Emblems and writing on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Went past to speed checks in the space of 5 miles on the M1 on sunday.

They where zapping all the Tyrone lads come back from the match with there northern reg cars :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also the white high top transit is now green so it can blend in with the bush's when they park it off in them on the side verg :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, I think so ...

I'm looking at areas that would be familiar to me (Westmeath). They really are having a laugh trying to say that this area is a black spot for fatal accidents due to speeding:

It's where the motorway meets the Dual carriageway, and the speed limit drops from 120 kmph to 100 kmph.

Admittedly the crossing-traffic dual carriageway section of that road IS very dangerous. The few KM's of grade seperated run-out from the motorway with Jersey barrier, however, isn't. Both standards of road would be 70mph north of the border.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement