Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AK47 wielding idiot on Sky News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

reminds me of the star's staged cyma ak in dublin gansta hands in drimnagh a good while back ,

at the end of the day theres not a whole lot we can do about idiots being sold aeg/gbbs and using them for non airsoft related pursuits ,
    ok we could go the vcr act route cant buy an aeg or gbb unless its 51% of a certain colour unless your a member of a skirmish site ,

that worked for a whole 2 mins- and the sales of black krlyon went throught the roof wonder why????

all goods sold in our reputable reailers can be bought no questions asked on line and no retailer cant prevent good getting in to the hands of undesireables or under 18s ,

if people want airsoft devices that bad they will find them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Gatling wrote: »
    if people want airsoft devices that bad they will find them

m8 you can buy a real gun for less than you would buy most airsoft rifles

if they want an airsoft gun and cant get one for a nefarious purpose im sure they will end up buying the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Tigger wrote: »
    i'm sorry but its a thread about idiots

what did you xpet

I expected cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭The Warehouse

If we really want the gardaí and public not to worry about this sort of an issue, we could, this is just an idea, we could encourage retailers to ensure that all aegs are chipped, we could also encourage all sites to ensure that all rental aegs are chipped.

That way the onus is off the airsofter and it is back on the people that make money on the things.

What do you think?

We are planning on chipping our guns anyway, I think it is the only way to ensure Airsoft's safety in Ireland, because England or not we will get muppets like that over here (If it hasn't already happend)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

If we really want the gardaí and public not to worry about this sort of an issue, we could, this is just an idea, we could encourage retailers to ensure that all aegs are chipped, we could also encourage all sites to ensure that all rental aegs are chipped.

That way the onus is off the airsofter and it is back on the people that make money on the things.

What do you think?

what does putting potato based foodstuffs into aegs supposed to acheive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ep1k-w1n

chipped like a dog?

how will that do anything? unless the gun is actually seized by the filth.
    what about getting guns from hong wong?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

ep1k-w1n wrote: »
    chipped like a dog?

how will that do anything? unless the gun is actually seized by the filth.what about getting guns from hong wong?

Hmm you know there are gardai that play airsoft and read this board don't ya?

They won't appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Chipped?

Oh and I'm curious why it was necessary to put up this post in the first place?? The incident that was reported on Sky news, took place in the UK. We all know about it, it was on the TV, probably in the papers, why sensationalise here?? on boards.ie.....and then all of you get on and disect it to bits. As I said we are ALL aware of it, what we need to do is distance ourselves from it, not use it as a point of discussion that we can all throw in our 2 cents worth. That my 2 cents worth.:mad:

chipped like a dog?

how will that do anything? unless the gun is actually seized by the filth.
    what about getting guns from hong wong?

By filth are you talking about the gardaí? In the case where they are seizing (firearms) they are not the ones that deserve to be called filth.

I love airsoft and agree that one or two instances of people acting like saps could destroy it. Chipping the aegs could be the solution because the gardaí would feel safe enough knowing they could find any fools acting like, well.. Fools!

Getting them from Hong Kong, you can get them chipped yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

it already has happened ,on multible occasions ,
    chipping is a good idea , still dosent solve the problem of idiots,
    or educating people about the the sport in general

Would any of you have a problem with a licensing system (of sorts), no restrictions or age limits (because they are toys) just your name, address and the serial number of the aeg. We all have to understand that they are replica firearms, we can spout legal crap all day but people have a rite to worry and we have a duty (if we care about airsoft) to alleviate those worries!

Thats my 2 cents

Would any of you have a problem with a licensing system (of sorts), no restrictions or age limits (because they are toys) just your name, address and the serial number of the aeg. We all have to understand that they are replica firearms, we can spout legal crap all day but people have a rite to worry and we have a duty (if we care about airsoft) to alleviate those worries!

Thats my 2 cents

But who takes the info?

Retailers? Gardai? IAA?

Also aegs don't have serial numbers, they can be put on them but there would need to be co-

operation between retailers if they were in charge to stop duplicate numbers on guns

The place where you buy the gun, the gardaí check the list monthly, the IAA isn't a legal body so it hasn't really got a rite to take such info. The sites could keep a list (with the aeg owners permission), I don't know, I'm noone, it's just an idea!

Did everyone see the Herald a week or two ago, they baught an aeg and published it on the first page saying "gang gun" or something. Airsoft has bad press already and this is something that should seriously be looked at.

Does the IAA have a forum where we can give our ideas or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i do not see how chipping would work, its the same as the serial number idea, its a great idea, but i do not see how it could work how do you chip it? where would you put it? how would pay for it , who would manage it,

what ot comes down to is that airsoft as a activity at a skirmish field is not a problem, its idouts off the field, know nothing will ever stop this type of activity, but in an attept to stop it airsoft could very easly be banned, we have to be seen to be attempting to help and stop these problems,

again it is not what we as a community want its what other want, the goverment the garda people who really do not have an interest in airsoft, there just looking say 'well we tryed' to cover there asses as it where

Did everyone see the Herald a week or two ago, they baught an aeg and published it on the first page saying "gang gun" or something. Airsoft has bad press already and this is something that should seriously be looked at.

They do, its on their site, look at the list on the right and you should see it

The chips can be put wherever in the gun, they are locator chips so they would help by giving the gardaí a way of finding out who was messing with an aeg in that area when the incident happened!

www.irishairsoft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

The chips can be put wherever in the gun, they are locator chips so they would help by giving the gardaí a way of finding out who was messing with an aeg in that area when the incident happened!

and who pays for this manages and runs it, also they would be far to easy to remove

nothing will stop all problems no control is 100% just look at firearms law, but just beacuse it not 100~% successfull does not mean they just don;t care about control at all,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

One problem with chips (as with serial numbers) is where to put them.

One great thing about airsoft is the ability alter the look and feel of your aeg by getting aftermarket parts. So what if you want to change the receiver to a different one? So you can't put the chip there. Maybe in the hand guard? Nop you just swapped it for a RIS. Maybe the stock? Nope, you've just put a different stock on it. How about the gearbox? Oh wait Systema just released the Revolution GB.

But the bigger problem is all the ones that are already out there. Are the scumbags going to get them chipped? I don't think so.

One problem with chips (as with serial numbers) is where to put them.

One great thing about airsoft is the ability alter the look and feel of your aeg by getting aftermarket parts. So what if you want to change the receiver to a different one? So you can't put the chip there. Maybe in the hand guard? Nop you just swapped it for a RIS. Maybe the stock? Nope, you've just put a different stock on it. How about the gearbox? Oh wait Systema just released the Revolution GB.

But the bigger problem is all the ones that are already out there. Are the scumbags going to get them chipped? I don't think so.

Fair point, it's just an idea as I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

The place where you buy the gun, the gardaí check the list monthly, the IAA isn't a legal body so it hasn't really got a rite to take such info. The sites could keep a list (with the aeg owners permission), I don't know, I'm noone, it's just an idea!

If the owners/players had been accepted as legitmate airsofters by whatever system comes into place, the guards wont need a list of who has what... Just cos a "black 9 millie" (this is the usual description given in most firearms related crimes), would that mean the guards knocking on everyones door who owns a black pistol?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

iceage wrote: »
    Chipped?

Oh and I'm curious why it was necessary to put up this post in the first place?? The incident that was reported on Sky news, took place in the UK. We all know about it, it was on the TV, probably in the papers, why sensationalise here?? on boards.ie.....and then all of you get on and disect it to bits. As I said we are ALL aware of it, what we need to do is distance ourselves from it, not use it as a point of discussion that we can all throw in our 2 cents worth. That my 2 cents worth.:mad:

So I'm sensationalising the issue by asking a question am I?

I put it up so I could ask peoples opinions on what should and can be done to prevent or cutrail this behavior in the Republic and what we get is people banging their chests about how it may or may not be an airsoft and the state of one mans arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I dont think making airsoft over 18's etc is gonna solve anything. And I'd be against chipping
    or similar things like this. I dont think the innocent airsofters should be the
    ones needing to jump through hoops and go through lots of hasssle
    to partisapate in the sport of airsoft or to collect or own airsoft.

Sure things like that may help a little but it would be like
    the butterfly's wing touching off a ball of steel the size of the sun once a year in an effort to wear the steel ball away.

How many of us drank under age or rented a movie underage, How many of us smoked under 16 or bought
    fireworks and bangers at Halloween, when driving how many people have broke the speed limit, how many
    learner drivers out there have driven on their own.

Did any laws stop you from doing this? Was anyone punished to the point where they felt sorry and never did it again. Did any punishments given out to any of the above solve any of the issues Ireland wide.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

So have we finally realised there is no way of preventing this sort of thing then?.

The VCRA and UKARA were established due to the governenment wanting to cut down on 'firearm enabled' crime and this affected me directly (as I was a collector not a regular skirmisher).

Whatever system is put in place, and by the sounds of it, something is expected, we got to make sure we get it right, the first time.

So I'm sensationalising the issue by asking a question am I?

I put it up so I could ask peoples opinions on what should and can be done to prevent or cutrail this behavior in the Republic and what we get is people banging their chests about how it may or may not be an airsoft and the state of one mans arse!

I forgot about the arse!!! Yeah man, if its potentially detrimental to Irish Airsoft, and needs to be discussed to look for suggestions to to keep it from being so, why chose to do it here first? when there is a perfectly good forum on the IAA website, where this appeared nearly a day later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ep1k-w1n

Blay wrote: »
    Hmm you know there are gardai that play airsoft and read this board don't ya?

They won't appreciate that

well i appreciate the fact that they cant touch me for reffering to them as that.
    By filth are you talking about the gardaí? In the case where they are seizing (firearms) they are not the ones that deserve to be called filth.

I love airsoft and agree that one or two instances of people acting like saps could destroy it. Chipping the aegs could be the solution because the gardaí would feel safe enough knowing they could find any fools acting like, well.. Fools!

Getting them from Hong Kong, you can get them chipped yourself!

indeed i am.....move to the top of the class.
    in the case where they stitch people up then yeah they do deserve to be called filth.
    if im a skangar wy would i go get my gun chipped if iv just got it off the net.
    chipping is the stupidest idea ive ever heard, how does it alleviate any problems with the misues of airsoft.

Thats my 2 cents

yeah i would.
    a licensing system is not gointo bring about any change unless the law is changed to define airsoft and who can legall possess and sell airsoft guns.
    thats like saying that the licensing system for firearms prevents the misuse of illegal firearms by scumbags.
    who monitors this datbase of "licences"

you can keep your change, it might come in hand for buying a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

iceage wrote: »
    I forgot about the arse!!! Yeah man, if its potentially detrimental to Irish Airsoft, and needs to be discussed to look for suggestions to to keep it from being so, why chose to do it here first? when there is a perfectly good forum on the IAA website, where this appeared nearly a day later?

Check the time codes.

I posted in the IAA forum first actually (an hour earlier).

Secondly, I posted here because I wanted to get a cross section from the whole community.

You're talking like the cops, the authroities etc dont have tv's and couldnt see this themselves? Burying our heads in the sand isnt going to help, thought, discussion and effort is the only things that matter.

• Advertisement

well i appreciate the fact that they cant touch me for reffering to them as that.

Id say the moderators will be touching you with an infraction soon enough :pac:

Advertisement