Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish paper launches weekly Irish edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Arabel wrote: »
    Why does it matter if there's a Polish section in a shop? I don't drink, so I don't go into the alchohol section of shops. But there is a strong market for alchohol so of course the shop is going to avail of that oppertunity.

Similarily, there is a market for Polish food in Ireland, so shops are bound to stock it make more money. As has already been mentioned there are Irish sections in shops all around the world to cater for the Irish market. Do you think these should be closed aswell?

The thing is, I wouldn't expect there to be an Irish section in a shop in another country. If I wished to have the comforts of home in that country then I'd bring them with me. If I planned on living in another country then I would use whatever is the equivalent.

If there are already Polish newspapers in this county then what is the point in another?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Cos this thread is about a polish newspaper being sold in Ireland rather than the quality control of the HR department in a given company.

That didn't really answer the question, but whatever. Thanks for ... yeh, just thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Or you could try Galway. In my (not very big) neighbourhood alone there are people and families from Thailand, the Philippines, Korea, China, what looks like India, Nigeria, probably Poland, France and somewhere in the Middle East, I never got talking to them. I was at a Nigerian christening a couple of weeks ago, Filipino house party next week, and to be honest there is a decent community starting to form in the place, its actually pretty nice.

Seriously, when was the last time you were in Ireland? Its not all comely maidens dancing at the crossroads any more.

lol true, my sentence were more for the people who think Polish people shouldn't really be allowed to have a Polish newspaper targetted to them and that they should all read Irish (I mean English produced) papers etc.

That didn't really answer the question, but whatever. Thanks for ... yeh, just thanks.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

What is it with the level of Xenophobia on display here ? How has anyone's life been affected one bit by polish papers / sausages or whatever else being on sale in Ireland. I'm not picking up any whinging about Czech beer being on sale here !!...or any complaints about german cars.

You can't read the paper...do you want to ? Do you care ? Ignore it, move on, live your life, stop feckin moaning about sh!t you have no reason to be gurning about.

You can't read the advert. There'll be another along in 60 seconds. What's the issue here, you're thinking that the ad is offering better call rates or interest rates for polish nationals ?? Wise up.

This all downs to Xenophobia, all founded in Paranoia and insecurity.

We're a great nation, we're caable of absorbing people from other great nations. If they want to read their own newspaper when they're here, grand. Don't panic...vive la difference and all that.

You can read the Irish Times in Poland. I know, I've done it. No one seemed to mind.

I am pie wrote: »

We're a great nation, we're caable of absorbing people from other great nations.

The economy says different.
    You can read the Irish Times in Poland. I know, I've done it. No one seemed to mind.

Is there anyone left in Poland to mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Damn German cars, with all their techniks and what not.

What has the economy got to do with a polish newspaper ?

Let's get to the crux of the matter here....your basically saying you think there are too many polish people here. If you think our economy is struggling due to the amount of immigration from European countries then i suggest you stop smoking whatever it is your smoking and maybe read a newspaper or do a bit of reading about the irish economy and exposure to international market conditions.

The availability of a polish newspaper is symptomatic of the demand created by their presence here. I'm glad, you're not. I think you're paranoid and xenophobic.

as for 'Is there anyone left in Poland to mind?'

....pfffft. You clown.

Population of Ireland - 6 million- ish.

Population of Poland - 38.5 million

yeah pal, there all over here.:rolleyes:

What has the economy got to do with a polish newspaper ?

You make a comment about us being a great nation and we're capable of absoring other people?

How does the economy not have something to do with it? Of course it does. :rolleyes:
    Let's get to the crux of the matter here....your basically saying you think there are too many polish people here.

Point me to where I explicitly said that please?
    If you think our economy is struggling due to the amount of immigration from European countries then i suggest you stop smoking whatever it is your smoking and maybe read a newspaper or do a bit of reading about the irish economy and exposure to international market conditions.

Same question as above.
    The availability of a polish newspaper is symptomatic of the demand created by their presence here. I'm glad, you're not. I think you're paranoid and xenophobic.

Thank you for the that superbly thought out analysis. It's easy to call names isn't it? :rolleyes:

I don't think you're following me as your first sentance is exactly the point I was making. Suffice to say I was also stating that having worked in a company that deals with the public on a daily basis I have yet to come across an employee that cannot speak english. Almost all of them speak it excellently.

Question, that funnily enough is relevant to the thread. If almost all Poles speak English excellently then what is the need for a Polish newspaper? Surely it's possible to read about the news in an existing English language newspaper?

• Advertisement

Question, that funnily enough is relevant to the thread. If almost all Poles speak English excellently then what is the need for a Polish newspaper? Surely it's possible to read about the news in an existing English language newspaper?

They have the choice to do both. If they don't buy the paper then it'll surely be pulled.

I knew a french person who spoke fluent english but read books etc in French when she could because it's her native tongue and it didn't require translation in her head as she read.

You're pulling points out of your thón

They have the choice to do both. If they don't buy the paper then it'll surely be pulled.

I knew a french person who spoke fluent english but read books etc in French when she could because it's her native tongue and it didn't require translation in her head as she read.

You're pulling points out of your thón

I'm a Danish speaker. I speak English as a second language. If I go to a native English speaking country, I expect to read newspapers in English. I don't expect a fuss to be made for a minority of people (based on the thread above that states almost all of them (Poles) speak it excellently).

I'm a Danish speaker. I speak English as a second language. If I go to a native English speaking country, I expect to read newspapers in English. I don't expect a fuss to be made for a minority of people (based on the thread above that states almost all of them (Poles) speak it excellently).

But exactly where has it been stated that they expect Polish newspapers?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Canis quit while you're ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Now I'll go out on a limb here and say 'That's a silly question'. The point of a polish newspaper here in Ireland is that it contains polish specfic information and articles. You do realise it's much easier and more relaxing to read something in your own language. It's not as much hard work or as tiring. You knew that....... right?

Now I'll go out on a limb here and say 'That's a silly question'. The point of a polish newspaper here in Ireland is that it contains polish specfic information and articles. You do realise it's much easier and more relaxing to read something in your own language. It's not as much hard work or as tiring. You knew that....... right?

Nah, not so much. I can speak English and read it as much as I read, write and speak my own language.

You commented that the economy suggests that we can't absorb other european workers. I pointed out that our current economic woes are a mixture of local and international market forces, we are very exposed to the latter. The current crisis has nothing to with polish newspapers / migrants. Can we agree that your glib comments are irrevelant to this discussion and the general condition of the economy ?

The very fact that you think that selling a foreign language newspaper overseas is making a 'fuss' suggests to me that your xenophobic. It's not name calling, merely that every comment you've made is indicative of this mindset. you disagree no doubt.

Market demand drives sales of foreign language newpaper overseas. This is a problem because '.....'

Fill in the blanks for me. You can buy english language newspapers anywhere. Explain why this is a problem.

Care to address the foolishness of you're 'sure they're all over here' type comment ?

Do you share the same strange passion for the sales of foreign language media outside Ireland...do you smash up TVs in hotel rooms when you see BBC news or CNN broadcasting in English?

Care to address the foolishness of you're 'sure they're all over here' type comment ?

Never said that, care to point out where I did? I see you've also managed to add 1+1 and get 3, again.

I see you have completely ignored my previous post where I asked you to pinpoint where I made direct statements.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    If you insist on quoting me then at least read what I have wrote. However, I will make it even plainer for those who do not understand.

Oh I've read everything you've said with interest.
    I do not have any issue with any nationality. My issue is with the fact that there are Polish items, be it newspapers, food… whatever, almost everywhere I seem to go. Polish shops, I have no problem with, but I don't see, in my opinion, why there needs to be so many items pertaining to Poland in this country.

Because it makes business sense.

kazzer wrote: »
    Well let me explain it for you again, because to dont seem to be able to understand the point I am making. I have seen a number of different adverts in Polish that I felt I may have had some interest in: a sign in my local bank for some new service, an advert for a job in the jobs section, an advert for something or other by some of the mobile phone operators. Now, do you see where I am going and can you honestly say you cannot see why that pisses off some Irish english speaking people?

Well I suggest if you want to understand everything around you that you go off and learn some additional languages. Companies advertise jobs with particular skills in mind, such as speaking french, german or polish. Do you speak the language? No, then why let it bother you.

Advertising to a group in their own language makes for far more dramatic advertising and makes more of an impact. People who might have passed by an advert in english might very well stop, read the advert and buy into the product as a result of it being in their language.

You musn't go on very many foreign holidays. Almost everything is in a foreign language. :eek:
    Rsaeire wrote: »
    The thing is, I wouldn't expect there to be an Irish section in a shop in another country. If I wished to have the comforts of home in that country then I'd bring them with me. If I planned on living in another country then I would use whatever is the equivalent.

If there are already Polish newspapers in this county then what is the point in another?

I don't think anyone expects there to be a shop catering to their needs in a foreign country, but it's nice when there is. Again you're not really grasping the economics of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Well I suggest if you want to understand everything around you that you go off and learn some additional languages. Companies advertise jobs with particular skills in mind, such as speaking french, german or polish. Do you speak the language? No, then why let it bother you.

Advertising to a group in their own language makes for far more dramatic advertising and makes more of an impact. People who might have passed by an advert in english might very well stop, read the advert and buy into the product as a result of it being in their language.

You musn't go on very many foreign holidays. Almost everything is in a foreign language. :eek:

No I think it would be easier if they just printed it in English so everyone can read it - instead of everyone having to adopt Polish.

By the way, how do you know what the job was for? You are assuming it involved speaking the language. Maybe it was for Spar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

Now I'll go out on a limb here and say 'That's a silly question'. The point of a polish newspaper here in Ireland is that it contains polish specfic information and articles.
    Polish newspaper contains the information about Poland itself. The latest news, politics, sport, culture etc. You won't find this kind of information about Poland in Irish newspaper, which is good, as it would give people yet another reason to complain about Poles...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Huh?:confused:

I gather that he/she meant that culturally speaking, we're a lot like England.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I remember once seeing a guy dressed as a leprechaun reading the Irish Times outside an Irish pub in New York. I was so shocked and appalled that I nearly spilled my pint of Guinness all over my fellow observers of the St. Patrick's Day parade. ****ing disgrace.

No I think it would be easier if they just printed it in English so everyone can read it - instead of everyone having to adopt Polish.

By the way, how do you know what the job was for? You are assuming it involved speaking the language. Maybe it was for Spar.

I'm very tempted to stop debating this with you. You're clutching at straws and really just coming across as quite silly and xenophobic.
    el_bandita wrote: »
    Polish newspaper contains the information about Poland itself. The latest news, politics, sport, culture etc. You won't find this kind of information about Poland in Irish newspaper, which is good, as it would give people yet another reason to complain about Poles...

Oh absolutely. As much as my girlfriend reads irish newspapers she also enjoys reading up (in her own language) on what's happening back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

el_bandita wrote: »
    You won't find this kind of information about Poland in Irish newspaper, which is good, as it would give people yet another reason to complain about Poles...
    That's actually a very good point; can you imagine the outcry if the Irish Times decided to devote an entire section of their paper to Poland every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

You would skin us alive... :D

"Is there anyone left in Poland to mind?" - This was your comment i-bloodhound.

I pointed that there are plenty of people left in Poland to 'mind'.

I hope that's black and white enough for you.

I think we've addressed your glib remarks about the economy and polish workers in Ireland. That's all they were...glib remarks, not points, hence they aren't worth discussing.

I've not picked out where you've explicity stated your views are Xenophobic. i suspect it is beneath even you to come out and admit to it. I have however pointed out why they are Xenophobic. No amount of semantic sophistry on your part will change my firm opinion on that.

I've no interest in continuing this spurious pantomime debate with you any further if you're not going to be able to explain to me exactly what your problem is with Polish newspapers being sold overseas as opposed to any other foreign language papers being sold overseas regardless of their content.

I can't recall who, but someone remarked that is was a case of polish nationalism !! ...as if it were some creeping cultural invasion, significant enough to disturb our own sense of national identity !! Again...pffft. It's a feckin newspaper.:rolleyes:

My point is that I, and i believe most others in Ireland, our confident enough in our history, culture and our communal sense of Irishness that the thought of a foreign language newpaper (or any other non-irish product) somehow damaging or diluting our national identity is more than a little ridiculous and little more than a fading smokescreen for paranoid xenophobia.

djpbarry wrote: »
    That's actually a very good point; can you imagine the outcry if the Irish Times decided to devote an entire section of their paper to Poland every day?

That's not the case here though. This FAKT crowd are commissioning a new, weekly edition for the Polirish as well as their ordinary, run-of-the-mill daily tabloid.

Also, the Daily Herald has a Polish section every Thursday (I think) and I've never heard anyone giving out about it.

Are you taking the piss? You think it would be easier to just print something in English so that people who have it as their 2nd language can take longer to read it than if it was in their own language?

It's also sever paranois to think that you're somehow missing out on something because it's ad is being printed in Polish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Wow just, wow. I really can't believe the amount of xenophobia I see here before me.

One very important point I have to make to all the ney-sayers on this thread. How exactly does this affect you in any way whatsoever? You can't read an advert because it's in Polish? If it was in English but still targeted towards the Polish living and working here would you even care enough to read it? I highly doubt it.

Advertisement