Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish paper launches weekly Irish edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Eh :confused:
    but srsly..wha'? is it "dig with the same foot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Ehh because no other nationality is here in such numbers. Tell me, why does it bother you?

Well it bothers me because maybe perhaps I would like to read that ad in the paper or in the bank - you know, to know whats its about, but no I cant, because its in Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

kazzer wrote: »
    Well it bothers me because maybe perhaps I would like to read that ad in the paper or in the bank - you know, to know whats its about, but no I cant, because its in Polish.

Hmnnn sounds like you might need to learn some more languages if you want to understand everything around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Then blame the company who posted the advert although I'm not sure why it would piss you off that a company is trying to target a specific audience. My company advertises in a gazillion different languages for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bambi wrote: »
    but srsly..wha'? is it "dig with the same foot"?

yeah, what's that mean?

I've studied my "Feckin book of Irish Slang" and the other English/Irish translation dictionaries bought for me over the years, but I can't remember that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"dig off the other foot".. usually means to be a protestant

Listen, I don't know if you or some of the other maniacs in this thread actually get what the OP is about, so here it is in plain English:

There is a newspaper in Poland called FAKT.
    It is only printed in Polish.
    It is sold over here, because there's loads of Polskis over here.
    They are now going to have an "Irish" edition, printed in Polish, which carries news from Poland and News from Ireland.

WTF is your problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bambi wrote: »
    "dig off the other foot".. usually means to be a protestant

aaahhh, as in "Stands out like someone who digs off the other foot" or "Blacker than the heart of one who digs off the other foot".

Gotcha. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

Listen, I don't know if you or some of the other maniacs in this thread actually get what the OP is about, so here it is in plain English:

There is a newspaper in Poland called FAKT.
    It is only printed in Polish.
    It is sold over here, because there's loads of Polskis over here.
    They are now going to have an "Irish" edition, printed in Polish, which carries news from Poland and News from Ireland.

WTF is your problem with that?

That is correct. This newspaper is strictly for Polish people living abroad, in this case: Ireland. It's a sh.ty tabloid - I haven't been reading that paper when I was in Poland, and I'm not going to read it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Let me explain one of the basics of marketing...targetting your audience allows for more efficient communication. If the ad is in Polish, it means the advertisers are targetting...that's right, Polish people. In case you feel you are missing out on something, I'm sure they are also targetting you in an English ad elsewhere.

• Advertisement

el_bandita wrote: »
    That is correct. This newspaper is strictly for Polish people living abroad, in this case: Ireland. It's a sh.ty tabloid - I haven't been reading that paper when I was in Poland, and I'm not going to read it here.

Aye. I mentioned to the missus that they were bringing out an edition here and she just laughed. She said she never read it when she was in Poland as it was a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I really don't understand why Ireland feels it has to infuse everything with Polish this and Polish that. Polish newspapers, Polish food in stores and even wanting to include Polish on the signs and directions in Hospitals. Honestly, I thought Ireland had one national language and now I find we're adopting a second?

Regarding Polish people in the work place. Why are so many Polish, and other nationalities, being allowed to work in customer facing roles with very little English language skills? Some people joke about how they get through to India when they're calling the Irish Dell Customer Care number, but how would these same people feel finding out that they're calling an Irish customer care number for another company and getting through to a Polish person they can barely understand and find out they're in fact not in Poland but in Ireland?

If the Polish wish to learn about what's going on in Poland they have the Internet; just like every other nationality in this country who wish to learn about what's going in their own home country. If the roles were reversed and I was in Poland, I wouldn’t expect Irish newspapers, food and everything else to be available.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I really don't understand why Ireland feels it has to infuse everything with Polish this and Polish that. Polish newspapers, Polish food in stores and even wanting to include Polish on the signs and directions in Hospitals. Honestly, I thought Ireland had one national language and now I find we're adopting a second?

We actually have two national languages already, irish and english. Should we strip the signs of the irish language if it irks you?
    Most polish people do not want signposts etc in polish as they feel it a silly idea. That idea was mentioned by one guy, who has long since been dismissed as having any credability.
    Regarding Polish people in the work place. Why are so many Polish, and other nationalities, being allowed to work in customer facing roles with very little English language skills? Some people joke about how they get through to India when they're calling the Irish Dell Customer Care number, but how would these same people feel finding out that they're calling an Irish customer care number for another company and getting through to a Polish person they can barely understand and find out they're in fact not in Poland but in Ireland?

You've had bad workplace experiences with foreign workers, all of them? I've been working with various different nationalities, including the polish since 2004 and have yet to come across someone who can't speak english. Granted where I to go into an asian shop, or one of the many eastern european food stores I'd expect that they may not speak english so I'm not too perturbed about that.
    If the Polish wish to learn about what's going on in Poland they have the Internet; just like every other nationality in this country who wish to learn about what's going in their own home country. If the roles were reversed and I was in Poland, I wouldn’t expect Irish newspapers, food and everything else to be available.

It really appears that you just have a chip on your shoulder and don't like other nationalities in Ireland. It's a shame you have such a limited, narrow minded view.

I really don't understand why Ireland feels it has to infuse everything with Polish this and Polish that. Polish newspapers, Polish food in stores

?????????????????????????????? :confused:
    This is not an Irish Government-sanctioned idea. This is akin to the Evening Herald saying they are going to produce a weekly paper with the headline stories from here and the U.S., and targetting the Irish living in the states. I honestly cannot see how you can make the jump from this paper to a shop that sells Polish food.

Also, we are not "infusing" ourselves with everything Polish. Eastern Europeans set up these shops for one simple reason.....€€€€.....thats it. Same with Tesco and Dunnes having a "Polish Aisle"....it's all about the Benjamins. It's not as if the Government or the people of Ireland have suddenly decided that there should be Polish shops opened up everywhere to accomodate them.
    and even wanting to include Polish on the signs and directions in Hospitals

First I've heard of this. Source/Link?
    Honestly, I thought Ireland had one national language and now I find we're adopting a second?

You thought wrong. We already have two national languages. Check out micmclo's post earlier in this thread.
    If the roles were reversed and I was in Poland, I wouldn’t expect Irish newspapers, food and everything else to be available.

No, but if they were available would you buy them? Ever bought an English newspaper or Denny sausages when you were in Spain? Ever drank a pint of Bulmers in Greece or even America ? It's exactly the same, imo.

I'd be the first to acknowledge that Ireland's immigration policy is poxy, but I get the impression a lot of people just saw "Ireland.....newspaper.....in Polish....." and launched into a tirade.

Get off your fucking soapboxes for fuxache.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

You've had bad workplace experiences with foreign workers, all of them? I've been working with various different nationalities, including the polish since 2004 and have yet to come across someone who can't speak english. Granted where I to go into an asian shop, or one of the many eastern european food stores I'd expect that they may not speak english so I'm not too perturbed about that.

You go into an Asian store willingly. You are somewhat expectant that the patrons or employees may not speak English. I believe the point was that customers calling a call centre environment in Ireland, as an example, expect to speak to someone that has a competancy in the English language. There's a difference.

It really appears that you just have a chip on your shoulder and don't like other nationalities in Ireland. It's a shame you have such a limited, narrow minded view.

I don't think the user above indicated a dislike of other nationalities in Ireland. I think it was indicated that the user had an issue with the manner that Polish nationalism has appeared to encroach on Irish nationalism.

No, but if they were available would you buy them? Ever bought an English newspaper or Denny sausages when you were in Spain? Ever drank a pint of Bulmers in Greece or even America ? It's exactly the same, imo.

It's Magners in Greece, not Bulmers ;)

We actually have two national languages already, irish and english. Should we strip the signs of the irish language if it irks you?

If you look at the constitution we have one national language, Irish, which is recognised as Ireland's first language and English is recognised as Ireland's second official language, not second national language.

I in fact do not mind any nationality. If you actually read my original post you would have seen that I have an issue with how there is Polish, and to be honest I would have an issue with any other nationality in the same situation, newspapers, food, and all the other things that are prevalent in this country; and mentioned in previous posts.

Polish stores do not bother me the same way Asian and African stores do not bother me either. It is when there are separate sections in stores dedicated to Polish people etc that I have an issue with.

You go into an Asian store willingly. You are somewhat expectant that the patrons or employees may not speak English. I believe the point was that customers calling a call centre environment in Ireland, as an example, expect to speak to someone that has a competancy in the English language. There's a difference.

I don't think you're following me as your first sentance is exactly the point I was making. Suffice to say I was also stating that having worked in a company that deals with the public on a daily basis I have yet to come across an employee that cannot speak english. Almost all of them speak it excellently.

I have rang various different companies within Ireland where I have been speaking to foreign representatives of their companies and again I have yet to find one who couldn't speak english or whom I couldn't understand.

I in fact do not mind any nationality. If you actually read my original post you would have seen that I have an issue with how there is Polish, and to be honest I would have an issue with any other nationality in the same situation, newspapers, food, and all the other things that are prevalent in this country; and mentioned in previous posts.

Polish stores do not bother me the same way Asian and African stores do not bother me either. It is when there are separate sections in stores dedicated to Polish people etc that I have an issue with.

Isn't that a contradiction.

I can't understand why you have a problem with good business sense. There are more polish here than any other foreign speaking nationality and it simply makes good sense to capture their business.

.......I have an issue with how the there is Polish...newspapers, food, and all the other things that are prevalent in this country; and mentioned in previous posts.

But why? What bearing does it have on you? There are bigger, better, cheaper, and more plentiful Chinese shops/supermarkets all over the country, do you have an issue with them?

What about English newspapers (The Guardian), food (Colman's mustard) and all the other things prevalent in this country (Sky Sports, football jersies, televison programmes etc). Whats your beef with them? If you don't have any, then why not?

******Edit*******
    Sh!t, sorry......didn't see the last paragraph of your post. As i said before, they're doing it for the money.

• Advertisement

I don't think you're following me as your first sentance is exactly the point I was making. Suffice to say I was also stating that having worked in a company that deals with the public on a daily basis I have yet to come across an employee that cannot speak english. Almost all of them speak it excellently.

I have rang various different companies within Ireland where I have been speaking to foreign representatives of their companies and again I have yet to find one who couldn't speak english or whom I couldn't understand.

That's cool. You are fortunate. I have not had the same experience, in particular, when calling certain companies. In calling those companies, sometimes as a disgruntled customer, I want someone that can understand me and I them. In some cases, I will be asked to be passed through to a native English speaker. Is that insulting? Sure. It can be. That is not the fault of the customer however, but the fault of companies for placing those that do not have a command of the English language on the front lines, as it were.

I can't understand why you have a problem with good business sense. There are more polish here than any other foreign speaking nationality and it simply makes good sense to capture their business.

Tut, tut. I think you misquoted that on purpose. It was:

My local Asdas in London has an Irish section with kimberley biscuits, Barrys tea etc. It brought a smile to my face to pick up some Erin soup as well.

I'm sure it brought a smile to Asdas face to make a sale that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't an Irish product targetted to an Irish person in a solely Irish section of the shop.

If you insist on quoting me then at least read what I have wrote. However, I will make it even plainer for those who do not understand.

I do not have any issue with any nationality. My issue is with the fact that there are Polish items, be it newspapers, food… whatever, almost everywhere I seem to go. Polish shops, I have no problem with, but I don't see, in my opinion, why there needs to be so many items pertaining to Poland in this country.

Regarding Polish people in the workplace. If the person in question can speak English fluently, then there is no issue. My issue is when a person cannot speak English to a level where they are able to converse with a customer either over the phone or in a shop. This is the same with any other nationality. It is not an issue with their nationality, it is as a result of their lack of communication skills with the English language. I would not to go to a country where the majority of the people speak one language and expect to be hired for a job that requires me to speak that language fluently.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

But why? What bearing does it have on you?

Well let me explain it for you again, because to dont seem to be able to understand the point I am making. I have seen a number of different adverts in Polish that I felt I may have had some interest in: a sign in my local bank for some new service, an advert for a job in the jobs section, an advert for something or other by some of the mobile phone operators. Now, do you see where I am going and can you honestly say you cannot see why that pisses off some Irish english speaking people?

If you insist on quoting me then at least read what I have wrote. However, I will make it even plainer for those who do not understand.

I do not have any issue with any nationality. My issue is with the fact that there are Polish items, be it newspapers, food… whatever, almost everywhere I seem to go. Polish shops, I have no problem with, but I don't see, in my opinion, why there needs to be so many items pertaining to Poland in this country.

Regarding Polish people in the workplace. If the person in question can speak English fluently, then there is no issue. My issue is when a person cannot speak English to a level where they are able to converse with a customer either over the phone or in a shop. This is the same with any other nationality. It is not an issue with their nationality, it is as a result of their lack of communication skills with the English language. I would not to go to a country where the majority of the people speak one language and expect to be hired for a job that requires me to speak that language fluently.

First answer is capitalism. People buy them/want them enough, shops stock em. Surely you're old/smart enough to understand that?

Secondly, if a person can converse in english correctly then there is no issue full stop. If they can't that's not really relevant to thread now is it?

Secondly, if a person can converse in english correctly then there is no issue full stop. If they can't that's not really relevant to thread now is it?

How did you come to that conclusion - if a person can converse in English then it's relevant to the thread? But if a person cannot converse in English then it's not relevant? :confused: Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Why does it matter if there's a Polish section in a shop? I don't drink, so I don't go into the alchohol section of shops. But there is a strong market for alchohol so of course the shop is going to avail of that oppertunity.

Similarily, there is a market for Polish food in Ireland, so shops are bound to stock it make more money. As has already been mentioned there are Irish sections in shops all around the world to cater for the Irish market. Do you think these should be closed aswell?

I agree with your point that no one should be hired for a job that needs good English. But the problem there is that there doesn't seem to be enough Irish people that want to take jobs in Restaurants and shops, but there are loads of Eastern Europeans willing to do it. I'm sure any employer would prefer a fluent English speaker over a person with broken English but they don't always have a choice.

How did you come to that conclusion - if a person can converse in English then it's relevant to the thread? But if a person cannot converse in English then it's not relevant? :confused: Hmm.

Cos this thread is about a polish newspaper being sold in Ireland rather than the quality control of the HR department in a given company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Some of you guys should try living in London. Your heads would probably explode from all the different nationalities and ethnic minorities stealing jawbs from one another and printing their own newspapers and what not.
    Or you could try Galway. In my (not very big) neighbourhood alone there are people and families from Thailand, the Philippines, Korea, China, what looks like India, Nigeria, probably Poland, France and somewhere in the Middle East, I never got talking to them. I was at a Nigerian christening a couple of weeks ago, Filipino house party next week, and to be honest there is a decent community starting to form in the place, its actually pretty nice.

Seriously, when was the last time you were in Ireland? Its not all comely maidens dancing at the crossroads any more.

Advertisement