Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish paper launches weekly Irish edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

chin_grin wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0918/breaking58.htm

"Fakt"....sounds a little too like "Fekt" (but not unlike "fact" which is why I'm clutching at straws here......go with me on this people!)

Get Fakt

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I presume it'll be in Polish rather than English?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Maybe it'll be pidgin, ala "I no speaky da inglish"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I presume it'll be in Polish rather than English?

Do ya think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Maybe it'll be pidgin, ala "I no speaky da inglish"

It's not worth saying anything to that other than - - - - - :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Bah! Ads in Polish, newspapers in Polish, TV shows in Polish, shops in Polish, where will it end? I don't recall Ireland bending over backwards for any other nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

We're bending over forwards imo.

I've had enough poles up me ass to last me a lifetime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Neesa wrote: »
    Bah! Ads in Polish, newspapers in Polish, TV shows in Polish, shops in Polish, where will it end? I don't recall Ireland bending over backwards for any other nationality.

I was passing a fuel merchants the other day and discovered they now have coal in Polish. Its gone way too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Get Fakt

off topic, but whats that film where a blind guy is sitting outside a pub and these birds walk by and he says

"get fakt"
    "you get fakt too"
    "and you..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

It's a POLISH paper with an Irish section, how did you miss that part?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Roadend wrote: »
    I was passing a fuel merchants the other day and discovered they now have coal in Polish. Its gone way too far.

I saw bags of imported firewood in Polish packaging outside a shop on Talbot St yesterday. Don't they trust Irish wood? Are they that insular that they HAVE TO have the same stuff as home to throw on the fire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

keen wrote: »
    It's a POLISH paper with an Irish section, how did you miss that part?

Are you from a different planet than the rest of us?

If so please learn Polish before coming to Earth.

Do ya think so?

Well if its in English we can all find out why Poland is so Sh1t that they all come to this hole instead...

It'd help them all learn english too:)

latenia wrote: »
    I saw bags of imported firewood in Polish packaging outside a shop on Talbot St yesterday. Don't they trust Irish wood? Are they that insular that they HAVE TO have the same stuff as home to throw on the fire?

We've been importing polish coal etc for years, long before the immigrants were coming here.
    Well if its in English we can all find out why Poland is so Sh1t that they all come to this hole instead...

It'd help them all learn english too:)

Of course it'll be in Polish. It's a polish newspaper.

Of course it'll be in Polish. It's a polish newspaper.

The Irish Times is an Irish paper, is it in Irish...

The Gulf Times is a Emiratie paper, is it in Arabic?

EDIT: I expected it to be but thought maybe it wouldn't as it'd open up a larger market...
    Or available in both languages

The Irish Times is an Irish paper, is it in Irish...

No, because Irish isn't our first language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

You travel the world and expect everybody speaking English.. Why few sings in foreign language bother you then?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No, because Irish isn't our first language.

Oh yeah
    Article 8
    1. The Irish language as the national language is the first official language.
    2. The English language is recognised as a second official language.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Constitution%20of%20IrelandNov2004.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

We've been importing polish coal etc for years, long before the immigrants were coming here.

A Pole in wrk told us that he had friends working in the north of England who got a frosty reception from one or two locals with long memories. The reason being that they blamed the Poles for underminding their strikes in the 80s by sending Maggie cheap Polish coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I agree, it's a disgrace. And it happens all over the world too!

I hear that there's Irish papers in England. And English AND Irish papers in America. There's even shops in Australia selling Irish foods!

Disgraceful. Where will it all end?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Arabel wrote: »
    There's even shops in Australia selling Irish foods!

Dairy Milk would make a bloody fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ehh because no other nationality is here in such numbers. Tell me, why does it bother you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There'd be more engerlish here than poles I would imagine. Least the poles dig with the same foot as us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Some of you guys should try living in London. Your heads would probably explode from all the different nationalities and ethnic minorities stealing jawbs from one another and printing their own newspapers and what not.

Bambi wrote: »
    There'd be more engerlish here than poles I would imagine. Least the poles dig with the same foot as us :pac:

Huh?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

eh? :confused:

Some of you guys should try living in London. Your heads would probably explode from all the different nationalities and ethnic minorities stealing jawbs from one another and printing their own newspapers and what not.

I was out in Bishopsgate with work colleagues.

There were three South Africans, three Indians, one Sri Lanken, one Zimbabwean, two Aussies, one Kiwi and three English. No Poles though.

Bambi wrote: »
    eh? :confused:

Eh :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I was out in Bishopsgate with work colleagues.

There were three South Africans, three Indians, one Sri Lanken, one Zimbabwean, two Aussies, one Kiwi and three English. No Poles though.

We've got some extremely sexy poles working with us. :) Along with at least one person from every nationality in the world as well :) Londons cool.

Advertisement