Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break up relief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i dont really have break ups since i dont have relationships but i find that kids filims and musicals and not eating,and not talking to anyone helps me
    then comes the i miss them stuffing my face stage but thankfully thats over pretty sharpish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Find a replacement :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Feel very very crap for a very long time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

In no particular order...
    Cry.
    Read comforting books like Harry Potter novels or Lois McMaster Bujold's stuff.
    Eat chocolate, drink cocktails.
    Go scuba diving.
    Lift heavy things in the gym.
    Imagine meeting ex in 10 years time trailing around Tesco, looking fat and knackered with a nagging wife and several whining snotnosed ugly kids in tow, and a trolley full of Dutch Gold and cheap frozen pizzas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

wasabi wrote: »
    In no particular order...
    Cry.
    Read comforting books like Harry Potter novels or Lois McMaster Bujold's stuff.
    Eat chocolate, drink cocktails.
    Go scuba diving.
    Lift heavy things in the gym.
    Imagine meeting ex in 10 years time trailing around Tesco, looking fat and knackered with a nagging wife and several whining snotnosed ugly kids in tow, and a trolley full of Dutch Gold and cheap frozen pizzas :)

Pure gold Wasabi...and not the Dutch kind either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The Streets - Dry Your Eyes

It's a must for all break ups! :D Just thought I'd intrude with that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

ellscurr wrote: »
    Find a replacement :D

Actually this /shopping is what i do. I tend to get over relationships quickly as well. If it was something i'm finding hard to get over a good flirt sorts it out. Tbh a week later when people ask if i'm ok all i think is who??:confused:

wasabi wrote: »

I saw the first ever boy to break my heart this week. Hadn't seen him in donkeys years.
    He has finally caught the baldness. :D

Cazlou wrote: »
    Well last I heard that 'friend' was engaged. Don't know anything further... for obvious reasons;)
    Only one of them has actually been through a break-up since, my parents always saw her as a surrogate daughter so we had her come stay with us for a couple of days when her relationship hit the rocks, then she moved in with a workmate as it was closer to work, and did the whole out-on-the-lash thing with her. I ran into her ex's best mate one night and when I went back to her with the news that he wasn't doing great - it put her in great form and got her over the last stretch of grief:pac:

Aww ye are very good.
    Some of my friends are too into their relationships, they won't come out unless it is to a couple thing.
    So I have seen alot less of them since I have become single.
    If they ever break up with their beaus, I genuinely don't know how they will function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Aww ye are very good.
    Some of my friends are too into their relationships, they won't come out unless it is to a couple thing.
    So I have seen alot less of them since I have become single.
    If they ever break up with their beaus, I genuinely don't know how they will function.

Yeah I know the kind. I'm all for falling in love but some couples are definitely wayyy too into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

After being dumped by my first boyfriend I was like a zombie, I couldn't eat, barely talked to anyone, at 15 it was a reeeeally big deal. 6 or 7 months seemed like a looong time, I laugh at it now though! None of my more recent 'boyfriends' actually lasted long enough for me to consider it a relationship. One lasted a year or so and the break up wasn't so bad, we both accepted that it had just run its course really.

So to sum it up, I don't really know how I'd relieve it other than going out with my girlfriends and getting twisted. Sad, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

I saw the first ever boy to break my heart this week. Hadn't seen him in donkeys years.

Nice one!
    Forky wrote: »
    Yeah I know the kind. I'm all for falling in love but some couples are definitely wayyy too into it.

Yep, the couples events thing is just strange, I've seen this happen too! Have some good friends I never see except as part of the Unit. It's like the Borg.
    ellscurr wrote: »
    Pure gold Wasabi...and not the Dutch kind either :D

Thank you - that one is working well at the moment for me, got dumped out of the blue five weeks ago. Onwards and upwards...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I thought women liked bald men? :confused:

Zaph wrote: »
    I thought women liked bald men? :confused:

We do????

I suppose it depends on the type of baldness, don't like the i'll pinch your handbag after i get your number look but the old man balding (non combover) sometimes has a bit of maturity about it and we might feel a little sorry for the baldy. Can't dump someone for a hairstyle can we now!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well the amount of women I see drooling over Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart is incredible. And almost all of them go on about bald being sexy. I suppose it does make a difference how they deal with their baldness. Combovers or growing the rest of the hair long is wrong no matter how you look at it.

As for dumping people for their hairstyle, if that really did happen the birth rate in the 80s would have been zero.

That is matter of beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every morning i wake up as an 80's dream but a 2008 nightmare!

Sean Connery is hawt! Patrick stewart not so much. I think Sean Connery has the hotness despite his age and baldness not because of it? James Bond will always be insanely attractive(except fot the one that cried-you're bond damnit grow a pair!)

LolaDub wrote: »
    We do????

I suppose it depends on the type of baldness, don't like the i'll pinch your handbag after i get your number look but the old man balding (non combover) sometimes has a bit of maturity about it and we might feel a little sorry for the baldy. Can't dump someone for a hairstyle can we now!

Good lord no!!! You need to stay away from men who you pity missy! ;)

There might be something to be said for the type of shiney headed baldy who makes up for it by being immaculately turned out. If your into that sort of thing.
    But balding is never attractive.

Good lord no!!! You need to stay away from men who you pity missy! ;)

If i do the worst dates thread will start getting very boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If i do the worst dates thread will start getting very boring
    only go for people you pity!!! your providing me with to much entertainment to stop!!!

Aw i feel like i'm getting a little fan club together!!! Mario has nothing on me!!

• Advertisement

Aw i feel like i'm getting a little fan club together!!! Mario has nothing on me!!
    cos he still has the one woman!!! granted the dosey cow cant go one game without getting kidnapped!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

my last breakup was a big 1, i turned into a mess for awhile, moods all over the place - lots of crying, no appetite, etc. but also getting my haircut, going on a diet, that kinda thing.. then i went through a phase of drunkenness, for about 2 months i was out every friday & saturday night & always drunk. calmed down a bit now :)

& now when hes texting me how sorry he is & i can just laugh & ignore him :D

funny how you have to be out of a relationship for awhile before you can see clearly how sh*te it was & what an a**hole the other person was :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hindsight is a great thing yes.
    Sean Connery has the awesome voice, and the appeal of being a man who played Bond.

sar84 wrote: »
    my last breakup was a big 1, i turned into a mess for awhile, moods all over the place - lots of crying, no appetite, etc. but also getting my haircut, going on a diet, that kinda thing.. then i went through a phase of drunkenness, for about 2 months i was out every friday & saturday night & always drunk. calmed down a bit now :)

& now when hes texting me how sorry he is & i can just laugh & ignore him :D

funny how you have to be out of a relationship for awhile before you can see clearly how sh*te it was & what an a**hole the other person was :pac:

Pretty much me over the last two months except im mancore so there was no crying or loss of appetite!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

One dumped me 4 days before Christmas, so i spent the whole time in bed watching crap, as my friends were all doing coupley/family stuff.
    Another asked me to move out the night he dumped me, So I moved into my best friends for a bit as I didn't have the energy to tell people yet.
    I generally just take to my bed for a while, watch a lot of Mighty Boosh and Friends.
    I usually don't warm to going out for a good while, so going to the gym and sleeping take up my time.
    Also both were long time things so I had to take a while to get used to being on my own again.
    Oh and the loss of appetite, food tastes last cardboard after days of crying.
    Ithink the worst thing is I can't get away with crying, I'm not one of these girls who can cry and still look presentable, I end up looking like a snotty frog, sunglasses are my friends then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Also both were long time things so I had to take a while to get used to being on my own again.

yeah, thats 1 of the hardest things.. how long before that goes away..? :(

think im STARTING to get there. knowing hes a total a**hole & Im better off on my own DOES help though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah always helps when you look back and think What the hell was I doing with that gobsh1te :D

Better being on your own than being with a tool bag.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

sar84 wrote: »
    yeah, thats 1 of the hardest things.. how long before that goes away..? :(

think im STARTING to get there. knowing hes a total a**hole & Im better off on my own DOES help though :)

hmmmmm took about a month or so for me to not automatically turn to say something to someone, but thats just habit I suppose.

And you are better off...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

I stopped eating for three months lost a stone... cried all the time.. Im weak i admit it but i was with him for three years, we had been through so much..
    :o
    Then i started going out on random spins with a few lads i knew till all hours in the morning... This helped me alot, not gettin my hair done again and caring about the way i look again but it takes alot, if it want for my mum and mates wouldnt have got through it..:D

I think girls that can move on are legends i wish i could that... someone teach me you ways :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Im with a guy a the moment, we are great together, but there is one thing that i dont think i can handle (his 'friendliness' with other women) and even though Im still with him, it feels as if im going through a break up at the moment. I dont know what to do (i know what i should do) and im very upset about the whole thing.

The worst part is that i have nobody to really turn to. My housemate and friend has had countless problems with her current boyfriend, including when he dumped her twice to get with other girls, only to come crawling back. I have nursed her through these breakups both times, being there for her and canceling dates with my own boyfriend to go out with her and listen... And she barely has the time to listen to my problems, fobbing me off with the answers she thinks i want to hear like "Itll be alright". The worst thing in the world is trying to figure this all out on my own, with no advice or support.

Advertisement