Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 - 10 years old this month (September)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

TV3's not that bad. OK they show a lot of crap, but so do most other stations.
    Hopefully the Irish version of The Apprentice will be good.

Also, I can remember South Park being on TV3 and my mother very reluctantly allowing me to watch it (I was like 9 or 10)
    Also, it was TV3 that showed Arrested Development. They stuck it on at ridiculous, varying timeslots but still they showed it. So I have one thing to thank them for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Used to have a couple of decent programs. Agenda was pretty good to have on while reading the Sundays and that late night music show, The Sound Room(?) could be great at times. But the station didn't have the balls to carry them on and its been pure sh1te since except for VB tonight which is all right but hardly great.
    The Apprentice could be a laugh riot though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

i used to watch the sweeney it was on about midnight.handy for brushing up on my cockney slang

Not forgetting Minder too in the early days.:o:pac:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Anyone else remember Music^3? It ran for a few months late at night and people could text in requests for videos.
    It was there where I first heard the Pixies - they had "Here Comes Your Man" and "Debaser".
    So I have TV3 to thank for introducing me to the Pixies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Anyone else remember Music^3? It ran for a few months late at night and people could text in requests for videos.
    It was there where I first heard the Pixies - they had "Here Comes Your Man" and "Debaser".

It was on around '03 after the late night programmes and before the informercials...I heard Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on there one night. I also remember "Pop on 3", another music show which was on during the early years.

"Popcorn", a DVD/movie show, was on not so long ago.
    Also remember the following shows on it: Any Day Now, Seven Days, The Guardian, Hack, Roswell, Dark Skies, Haunted; they also had Family Guy and Futurama on late nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I was about to say the same thing. I don't there has been a better reward for watching TV at 2 in the morning.

When TV3 started they used to have infomercials on after that magic number bit. I had problems sleeping during late 1998 so I was just watching that crap all night. There was always an ad for a CD called Superhits of the 80's which featured all the hits that everybody had either forgotten or never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ladyA

I have to agree that a lot of the programming is God awful however I do think TV3 should be cut some slack. As a media student it's a good potential employer given that RTE is largely a closed door if you don't know anyone in there.
    They are def making an effort with more home produced programming and all though the production values are often no better than that of students like myself at least they are giving it a go. We in part pay for RTE and I can't say I am hugely happy with their programming either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Whatever bad things they may have done, they gave us back Alan Cantwell. A minor miracle, who knew his career could survive talkabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

I agree that TV3 should be given some credit for at least trying to increase their home production, even if it is all through necessity done on a shoestring. I saw their new midday show and wasn't hugely impressed. Perhaps they could do something to rival UTV's 'Loose Women' afternoon gobfest. The Irish version could be called 'Uptight Men' and be presented by, say, (picking some names totally out of thin air) Alan Cantwell, Mark Cagney and Joe O'Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Sherifu wrote: »
    Whatever bad things they may have done, they gave us back Alan Cantwell. A minor miracle, who knew his career could survive talkabout...

Do u mean Alan Hughes? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Just a bit of a flashback to when it started for ya:

Sun 20th Sep - 5.30 This is TV3, 6:00 News @ 6, 7.00 Messrs Tylak And Rooney, 7:30 Just Shoot Me, 8:00 20/20, 9:00 Film: Merlin 11:00 News Tonight 11:30 Sports Tonight

Weekdays: 12:00 Speakeasy 12:30 Family Affairs, 1:00 Ricki Lake, 2:00 Breakers, 2:30 Sunset Beach, 3:30 Judge Judy, 4:00 Gimme 3 (Ren And Stimpy & Conan The Adventurer) 5:00 Can't Cook Won't Cook, 5:30 Family Affairs, 6:00 News @ 6, 7:00 Breakers && 11pm News Tonight, 11:30 Sports Tonight, 12:00 Minder

Mon: 7:30 Birds Of A Feather, 8:00 Eastenders, 8:30 Something So Right, 9:00 Film
    Tue: 7:30 Eastenders 8:00 ? 8:30 Just Shoot Me 9:00 Mad About You 9:30 The Naked Truth, 10:00 Early Edition.
    Wed: 7:30 Birds Of A Feather, 8:00 FILM!, 10:00 Seinfeld (double bill)
    Thurs: 7:30 Eastenders 8:00 Buffy The Vampire Slayer 9:00 CI5: The New Professionals 10:00 ?
    Fri: 7:30 Birds Of A Feather 8:00 Pensacola - Wings Of Gold, 9:00 ? 10:00 Good Guys, Bad Guys

Sat: 7:40 Animal Crackers - Adventures of Pete And Pete - Transformers Gen 2, 9:00 Pop On 3, 11:00 Sister Said, 11:30 Student Bodies, 12:00 FILM!, 2:00 FILM! 4:30 Earth Report 5:00 ?, 6:00 News @ 6, 6:30 The Pepsi Chart Show, 7:00 Film, 9:00 Film, 11:00 Film

Sun: 7:40 Gimme 3 (Avenger Penguins., Rocko's Modern Life, Loggerheads, Conan & The Young Warriors, ?) 10:30 The Pepsi Chart Show, 11:00 The Love Boat, 12:00 London's Burning, 1:00 Eastenders, 2:45 FILM!, 5:00 Timecop, 6:00 News @ 6.30 6.30 Hudson Street, 7:00 ?, 8:00 20/20, 9:00 FILM!, 11:00 The Week In Review

I've forgotten a few.

And don't even ask how i can remember them all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

It used to be cheap and occasionally cheerful
    Now its just cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

TvWatcher wrote: »
    more home programming than RTE2? If RTE2 shows THE DEN from 10 to 7 pm each day, the majority of which is made up of home-produced kids shows, and RTE Sport at weekends (SGame Live, S Game, Premier Soccer, C League etc etc etc) + stuff like Raw, Podge n Rodge, NewsOn2, The Cafe, TTV etc etc etc then I can't see how TV3 have more home-production than RTE2. They have a fraction.

Not that it matters really but facts is facts.

Yes. Facts are fact. We are not talking the number of short shows - we're talking broadcast hours. Three hours at breakfast, an hour at lunch, an hour at teatime, and evening programmes.

You mention the Den from 10 til 7 each day. Aside from the cafe and one or two other half hours, do you really think that a two minute link between a presenter and puppet every half hour constitutes HOURS of home produced programming? I should point out that by 7pm, TV3 would have FIVE broadcasting hours of home produced programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

10 years. 10 ****ING YEARS!

I..I..I..mean...10 ****ING YEARS

I'm speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TP4Cornholio

10 years and they still haven't managed to get a signal in the western fringes of Ireland, or anywhere there are mountains.

A watered down version of ITV, but t's not all bad, as there are a few good programmes there, like TV AM and the girls from Xpose. They're definitely worth watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Wheels wrote: »
    Unfortunately as an ad based station in Ireland, it's never going to be amazing. RTÉ are able to cap their rates for advertising and keeping the price down industry wide, meaning TV3 will never really stand a chance at making enough money to make decent home grown shows.

Sponsorship is its biggest saviour at the moment (Ireland AM, The Apprentice, Xpose etc. are all paid for by sponsors) but again because RTÉ can get sponsors they're limited in who wants to play ball. It will be interesting though over the next year or so to see what Ben Frow will do. They're slowly trying to up their game and are making some decent steps. While it might turn out to be crap, their own drama scripted drama series is a huge step.

€60,000,000 each year, TV3 have pleanty of money for one TV station. TV3 can get plenty of sponsorship. There aren't a little company, they are only a little company because the choose to be small because it makes them millions they have had it easy and they have caused RTE to have it easy. They can show more ads then RTE. They have 13% of the audience.

Their scripted drama is a two part co-funded by the licence fee through the sound and vision fund of the BCI. A very very small step.

'Help I Smell Of Fish'. One hour documentary broadcast in prime time by TV3 last week. A new low in Irish broadcasting? Discuss and debate. Dev must be turning in his grave. And no, I don't mean Dev from Corrie for all you TV3 viewers out there.

The your/you're grammatical error on the TV3 intro irked me for years. Like they'd care.

• Advertisement

The your/you're grammatical error on the TV3 intro irked me for years. Like they'd care.

Ahhhhh! Now you've pissed me off. I can imagine the graphic designer got that from someone after weeks of work.

"When your ready" should read "When you're ready".

Well done. Star in that boy's copybook. Now we'll send you up to Montrose to see if you can't get a postboy job in that Telefis Eireann.

Well done. Star in that boy's copybook. Now we'll send you up to Montrose to see if you can't get a postboy job in that Telefis Eireann.

Nah! I should be really become the Correct Caption Grammar Co-ordinator (CCGC) in TV3. Only when you leave that post.

Correct Caption Grammar Co-ordinator (CCGC). Something of a bitch fight among the Xpose girls on TV3 about this one. Gerard Keane (solicitor to the stars) due in later this afternoon to settle it all up.

Advertisement