Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 - 10 years old this month (September)

Options
  • 16-09-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Back in 1998 when this channel got the green light, I remember the following shows were on it:

Eastenders
    World's Most Amazing Videos
    Buffy
    Sunset Beach
    The Jerry Springer Show
    Seinfeld
    Seachange
    California Dreams
    USA High
    Quantum Leap
    NewsRadio
    Ellen
    Roseanne

I think the first film ever shown on that channel was.....yep, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

What are your memories of this channel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Looks like its run by media students as much now as it did then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have no memories as I have never watched it bar ther odd game of football/rugby (appallingly presented of course).

TV3 is the definition of a non channel, a relay for ITV and US product that can be seen on at least 2 other numbers on the EPG

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Damn right Mike.

So much of the schedule in the papers just has 'as ITV'!

Wasn't TV3 also responsible for 'The Box' with k-k-k-k-k-Keith Duffy?

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah come on, you're missing out on the genius that is Ireland Am. It took me a while, but I finally figured it all out. It's a spoof morning show, in the same style as The Day Today or Brass Eye. It makes so much more sense when you realise that.

Also, they mentioned Boards this morning on their internet section. Granted, they made out that it was a site for finding things to do in various towns, but at least it was a mention!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

I liked the original sports tonight with Trev and Alan, with the original graphics. They had a phone in element when Keith Barr was one of the panelists giving their opinion on upcoming GAA. One phone in caller said "and Keith Barr is nothing but a knacker" Cooney apologized went onto the next caller who aired his opinion before hanging up with "and yeah, Keith Barr was a knacker"

I knew it was going to be crap from the moment they played "three's the magic number" signature tune with voices asking for a size 3 shoes amongst various other rubbish illustrating how the number 3 can seemingly be used in sentences :rolleyes:. If i remember correctly, they had gremlins in the system as it launched and there was a blank screen for a minute or two.

The news gets a lot of value out of its stock clips, one with kids smoking, one where some hand at a bar pouring drink from a pint into a glass and one where a bank teller is handling euros for the first time. All are still being used on their news.

TV3 god love em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

10 years ,Jesus the time flies.Really makes you realise that the old "time flys when you're having fun" is a bag of s.h.i.t.e.
    The channel is just awful, slightly better than rte1 tho.Their own made shows are just so bad they're hilarious.Show like Ireland Am,Expose and some of their pathetic excuses for documentaries just make me realise that their is no god and if there is he hates us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

According to a note I found in my pocket, I paid a big black guy from Haiti to romove all memories of "TV3" from my head. I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the TV channel.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Yer man that reads the news, brian something for rte was in out school years ago (when I was in school) and he said tv3 news isn't taken seriously, the rte news crew watch the likes of sky news, bbc news etc to make sure they are competing, but don't bother go near tv3. Gotta love the birthday shout outs on tv3 weather though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It has a lot of crap on it but it did have Buffy and later on Angel. I didn't have Sky so I was glad I could catch it. I'm pretty sure it had better programming when it started up. It couldn't have been as poor as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Merlin Mini Series was one of their big launch programmes too. Don't think I've watched anything else on TV3 really since then.

Although the BBC have their own Merlin series starting soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

isn't basically an Irish ITV equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I remember it being launched.. thats about it.

As others have said it's really a non-channel.. it's on tv.. and thats about it.

Repeats of old (bad) American shows is not good, not good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Should lose it's license, because even after 10 years you still can't get it via a TV aerial in many parts of the West of Ireland. I know its available via the Sky Dish, but you shouldn't need a dish to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think Best of the Best 2 was on the first Saturday night.

They had South park as well think it was the only show I watched regularly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Boards.ie was featured on Ireland Am this morning, I could see Cagney squirm in his seat I wonder if he ever did a search on his name here:P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Namesco wrote: »
    Boards.ie was featured on Ireland Am this morning, I could see Cagney squirm in his seat I wonder if he ever did a search on his name here:P

He probably thinks we've all got dart-boards with his face on, but we haven't, not until Christmas Day at least.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think Best of the Best 2 was on the first Saturday night.

They had South park as well think it was the only show I watched regularly on it.

Well, now that takes me back. Can remember one christmas holidays (I think it may have been 2001, when I was 13) that my older brother and I watched it while my parents where visiting someone else:rolleyes:

Other than that, have never been too found of TV3. It's only usefulness now is relaying ITV shows that aren't on the Irish Sky EPG, hence recordable on Sky+

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

10 years too many if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Unfortunately as an ad based station in Ireland, it's never going to be amazing. RTÉ are able to cap their rates for advertising and keeping the price down industry wide, meaning TV3 will never really stand a chance at making enough money to make decent home grown shows.

Sponsorship is its biggest saviour at the moment (Ireland AM, The Apprentice, Xpose etc. are all paid for by sponsors) but again because RTÉ can get sponsors they're limited in who wants to play ball. It will be interesting though over the next year or so to see what Ben Frow will do. They're slowly trying to up their game and are making some decent steps. While it might turn out to be crap, their own drama scripted drama series is a huge step.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Only good thing to come out of TV3 has been Colette Fitzpatrick and her heaving bosom.

Even that doesn't make up for inflicting Mark Cagney on the nation every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

I remember it had Buffy on when it started which I suppose was something but after that I'm struggling to think of a single thing I've watched on it. They should pull the plug cos it's really just ITV with a different name now... complete and utter toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

i used to watch the sweeney it was on about midnight.handy for brushing up on my cockney slang

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm pretty sure I've never watched any more than about half a dozen shows on it in that 10 years. Complete waste of time, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I remember when Grainne Seoige was relatively attractive on TV3. Those were the days to be a 15 year old :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I remember that luther from kilnaskully was in some irish programme during tv3's early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I could've watched Claire Byrne all day long tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

I remember when Grainne Seoige was relatively attractive on TV3. Those were the days to be a 15 year old :pac::pac:

your not suggesting that grainne is no longer attractive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I could've watched Claire Byrne all day long tbh

i cant bear to listen to her on the radio let alone watch her on the telly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Jesus...ur all quick to be tv programmers!

I have to be honest....there's very little I would watch on tv3, but credit where credit's due. They are producing an awful lot more home programming than RTE 2. Ireland AM, Midday, News, Xpose, Tonight with VB. I have no personal interest in watching the likes of Ireland AM or Xpose, but I know lots of people who do.

And at least TV3 had the balls to do a live breakfast show - **** and all as you may think it is. RTE are incapable of putting anything on at breakfast time except old cartoons. I also think the Vincent Browne show is pretty good.

I don't work for TV3, but I think you should cut them a little slack. They don't get licence fee money like RTE so you can't expect the same level of drama or documentary. They are a commercial company trying to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

more home programming than RTE2? If RTE2 shows THE DEN from 10 to 7 pm each day, the majority of which is made up of home-produced kids shows, and RTE Sport at weekends (SGame Live, S Game, Premier Soccer, C League etc etc etc) + stuff like Raw, Podge n Rodge, NewsOn2, The Cafe, TTV etc etc etc then I can't see how TV3 have more home-production than RTE2. They have a fraction.

Not that it matters really but facts is facts.

Advertisement