Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3: 10 MORE YEARS! 10 MORE YEARS!

Options
  • 20-09-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Oh! well I suppose it wasn't going get its licence removed.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0919/tv3.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0920/1221835126526.html
    http://www.bci.ie/news_information/press200.html

How will the 30% work?

Well lets do the maths shall we?

Currently on TV3: -

3hrs of Ireland AM *
    1hr of Midday *
    1hr of News (5:30 and 11:00)*
    30mins of Xpose*
    30mins of Sports tonight*

6hr in total: - 6hrs = 30% of 20hrs

On average this year TV3 will make 1,612 hours of programming (Includes weekend news). Plus a few news specials, The aprentice and about 16 shows funded by the Licence Fee.

30% of cheap home grown programming that won't really touch their prime time schedule.

What a waste! <<<< thought I had finished my rant, sorry!

As a TV service (a public broadcasting commerical service) The BCI would have been better to enforce 30% primetime programming on TV3.

Lets do the maths for Prime Time***:-

2.5 hours of Xpose*
    Maybe 1 hour of Sound and Vision broadcast or 1 hour of a news special or 1 hour of something like the Apprentice. **
    No weekend Irish programming *
    => 182hrs per year
    There are 5hrs per day of primetime programming => 1,825 hours per year
    182= 10% of prime time TV, of which 130 will be xpose.

*http://www.tv3.ie/listings.php
    ** Est. It could be a tiny bit lower or a tiny bit higher.
    *** Primetime runs from 6pm to 11pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Oh for fook sake. 10 more years of TV3. I'm not sure if I can last that long. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Luckily those mad scientists in Switzerland will have us all dead soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bleagh.

There's always Italian TV on 13E :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

rather than start a new tread seeing as there was a tv3 one going already.... I feel I have a duty to report the most obviously mind-numbing quote of the year... pot call kettle black comes to mind. take a bow david mcredmond of tv3...
    This issue has been raised with the Department of Communications and the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI). ‘‘If Irish broadcasters are just not going to be subsumed into the UK and turned into local franchise regions, it is very important that the rights market is properly established,” he said.

taken from the following article in the post today..
    http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=MEDIA+AND+MARKETING-qqqs=mediaandmarketing-qqqid=36055-qqqx=1.asp

Is the man on another planet... considering tv3 is in fact more or less itv lreland.. except for that wonderful programme they show called expose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

They now also have some quiz thing on sat evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Any links to it? I haven't seen it, any good.

I want to know why I wasn't informed that TV3 were making TV. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Elmo wrote: »
    Any links to it? I haven't seen it, any good.

I want to know why I wasn't informed that TV3 were making TV. :D
    do you haVE digital

Check next sat at 5pm

do you haVE digital

I do but it doesn't go that far.

5:30 All Ireland County Quiz
    Fast-paced quiz show in which students from all over Ireland battle it out to see which country is the brainiest, presented by Paul Connolly.

Not in primetime. No reason for it not to be in prime time when you think that they show Clebeair at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Didn't RTE have a quiz like this 25 to 30 years ago. I think each county was represented by a Macra na Ferma club?

I think I will need to do some digging in RTE's archives for this. I am trying to remember the presenter and quiz master.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sounds like a variation of Blackboard Jungle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,182 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sweet mother of Christ, no. Ireland's most incomprehensible and bland teenagers..???! On television?

"Would you like an honours question?"
    "Ugh...."
    "Brave man!"

They should have made it compulsory for all contestants to have to sink two tequilas before going on that show.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mandj@48m

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Didn't RTE have a quiz like this 25 to 30 years ago. I think each county was represented by a Macra na Ferma club?

I think I will need to do some digging in RTE's archives for this. I am trying to remember the presenter and quiz master.

IIRC it was called "Cross Country Quiz" and the quiz master was a guy called Peter Murphy.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Sweet mother of Christ, no. Ireland's most incomprehensible and bland teenagers..???! On television?

"Would you like an honours question?"
    "Ugh...."
    "Brave man!"

They should have made it compulsory for all contestants to have to sink two tequilas before going on that show.

Can we get an Irish Begrudgery/Chip on Shoulder button like the thank you one :)

rather than start a new tread seeing as there was a tv3 one going already.... I feel I have a duty to report the most obviously mind-numbing quote of the year... pot call kettle black comes to mind. take a bow david mcredmond of tv3...
    This issue has been raised with the Department of Communications and the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI). ‘‘If Irish broadcasters are just not going to be subsumed into the UK and turned into local franchise regions, it is very important that the rights market is properly established,” he said.

taken from the following article in the post today..
    http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=MEDIA+AND+MARKETING-qqqs=mediaandmarketing-qqqid=36055-qqqx=1.asp

Is the man on another planet... considering tv3 is in fact more or less itv lreland.. except for that wonderful programme they show called expose

He does raise some good points. I can see some of his point of veiw.

Yes RTE shouldn't buy in the amount of US/International programming that it currently buys in, but they do do it cheaply and have never really competed with TV3 over the last 10 years as point out by the EU.

No TV3 does not become submerged into being a Localised UK TV service because UK TV service are now buying rights for the Irish Market as well as the UK market, in actual fact TV3 is ITV Ireland because of the numerous ITV imports and simucasts and it's LOCAL TV NEWS SERVICES.

And no Irish Television would not just be Local TV if TV3, RTE and TG4 started just showing Irish programming.

Does anyone beleive with the number of national shows on RTE and TG4 that they are just local television services.

At the end of the day TV3 don't want to make Irish Television they have no really interest in it, as far as TV3 are concerned The Apprentice is PSB, after all it was on the BBC in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

How can it be another 10 years if Analogue is supposed to expire?

So they are also allowed to only broadcast to 80% of viewers too?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

watty wrote: »
    How can it be another 10 years if Analogue is supposed to expire?

So they are also allowed to only broadcast to 80% of viewers too?

Even with analogue off-air, having the Television Programme Contract gives the holder some distinct advantages over a cable/MMD, digital, or satellite content contract:

* Must carry on cable and MMDS (even analogue MMDS - not even RTÉ is must carry on that!)
    * Virtual "entitlement" to the channel 103 position of EPGs, instead of having to negotiate a postition like everyone else.
    * If they have trouble getting RTÉ or Boxer to carry them on DTT, they can ask the Minister to direct RTÉ to carry them.

The trade-off is having to include some programming of a public-service nature (such as it is in TV3's case...)

The trade-off is having to include some programming of a public-service nature (such as it is in TV3's case...)

please, the BCI are a light touch, there is no control over TV3's public service remit.

barnicles wrote: »

Saw it this evening. Quite well produced even if the presenter kept saying "going toe to toe" or "sticky gloves needed for this" before every question, he needs to come up with some other commentator cliches.

It's a bit bizzare.

There are 5 podiums at each podium there is one member from each team.
    It starts of in the middle (mid-field), depending who gets the question right the questions will be passed either left or right (and you score one point) until they get to the outer podium (the goal).

On the outer podium the question is worth 3 points to the team with the advantage or the other team can save but they get 0 or the can have an own goal by answering incorrectly.

Once the question is asked the questions are passed back to mid-feild.

Managers can swap team players around and have subs.

Bizzare!

So I was willing to give TV3 something for this production. Until the credits ran!

Produced with Sound and Vision Funding by two Independent Producers.

I thought the rules for Sound and Vision funding was that all S&V supported programming is shown during primetime. I don't think TV3 gave any money towards this production.

I don't see how it can be funded by S&V, its only a quiz show!!!!!

Advertisement