Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Lansdowne Road

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

There is nothing sarcastic about your sentence, your telling the truth. Atmosphere goes straight out hill 16, worst ground in europe imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Walsh wrote: »
    worst ground in europe imo.
    What a ridiculous opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There is nothing sarcastic about your sentence, your telling the truth. Atmosphere goes straight out hill 16, worst ground in europe imo.
    lol. You haven't been in many football stadiums have you! Croke Park whilst arguably not the best stadium in Europe is certainly one of the best, top 50 anyway.

I'd like to see the roof completed someday, even if left as a terrace but to say it's the worst ground in Europe is stretching it to say the least! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What? :confused:
    Seriously, the worst?

Having lived in Drumcondra I'm struggling to see what can be done for Hill 16. There is simply no room to build
    Even if you built over the railway you would have to buy up the south side of Clonliffe Rd. And believe me, the rest of the residents would not be slow to object. And rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

looking at google maps there... the logistics dont seem to difficult, given the depths of the existing stand, the last stand would run to about the sheds out the back gardens on clonliffe road... you could tunnel the rail line or just run it under the stand ala Lansdowne! it is an impressive stadium, but if completed would be something else!

• Advertisement

Hill 16 has a capacity of 12,753, the Davin end has a capacity of 21,064 So if the stadium was "completed" it should have a capacity of 82,300 + 8311 = 90611! which would make it the the 2nd largest stadium in europe, after the Nou Camp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You don't have a right to a view (anymore) under planning law but you do have a right to ancient daylight so this may well prevent the stadium ever being completed, without major money being thrown at the homeowners to the rear of the hill. The GAA could of course be steadily buying up these properties and renting them out as they come on the market to eventually own the bulk of the street. It would indeed be awesome if it was completed all the way around. I'd prefer if they created an even larger terrace though (for GAA and occasional rugby) and just put seats in for the odd soccer match or concert (if needed).

Imagine a terrace to rival the Suedtribune.

From the existing stand depth, if a new stand were to be constructed in place on hill 16, it looks like there would be a 50m divide between the outside stand wall and facade of the house on the far side of clonliffe road... surely they could then have a square and plant trees there! for any non match day, surely it would be alot better than the houses they face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Is this a Croke Park or Lansdowne road discussion????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Is this a Croke Park or Lansdowne road discussion????

Is that a rhetorical question? ;)

It's drifted a bit OT alright but the points being raised are interesting enough IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

murphaph wrote: »

Imagine a terrace to rival the Suedtribune.

... full of Dubs! :D

In real terms it is impossible to talk about Lansdowne Road without comparing it to the only other big stadium in Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Noticed her for the first time today as i came through the port tunnel on a 747 bus,

sitting upstairs gave a great view of it as we were down near the docks, looking up along the Point across the river,

Looks fantastic from there, sits in nicely - i actually never thought it was so close :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

How can you be taken seriously when your opinion is so at odds with everybody else's? Croke Park is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

spacetweek wrote: »
    How can you be taken seriously when your opinion is so at odds with everybody else's? Croke Park is fantastic.

His opinion isn't at odds with many tens of thousands of Irish football fans. Croke Park is a horrible 'little' ground, incomplete roof and atrocious access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

MYOB wrote: »
    His opinion isn't at odds with many tens of thousands of Irish football fans. Croke Park is a horrible 'little' ground, incomplete roof and atrocious access.

I 100% agree. I can't wait to get back to Lansdowne. Croke Park is a temporary little arrangement which has never quite worked out.

Indeed, Irish football fans are used to luxuriating in places like Jackman, the Carlisle and Tolka. :confused:

Indeed, Irish football fans are used to luxuriating in places like Jackman, the Carlisle and Tolka. :confused:

In all honesty, I'd prefer an evening in the flatpack stand in the Carlisle Grounds with my car parked 200 metres away and a burger van with no queue than Croke Park...

But comparing like with like the majority of people who go to Ireland games that I speak to prefered Lansdowne.

In all honesty, I'd prefer an evening in the flatpack stand in the Carlisle Grounds with my car parked 200 metres away and a burger van with no queue than Croke Park...

It floats my boat too! :) (Though I do enjoy my annual trip to Croker to see Wexford lose to Kilkenny)
    But comparing like with like the majority of people who go to Ireland games that I speak to prefered Lansdowne.

Aye, I do think the footie gets a bit lost on the size of the turf. I'm looking forward to sampling the new Lansdowne, maybe for some games when we're warming up for South Africa. ;)

Croke Park is a horrible 'little' ground, incomplete roof and atrocious access.
    Atrocious access? How so.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

When Leinster win the Magners League and the Heineken Cup again next year, their support will swell again so much that all home games will have to be played in Lansdowne Road. The visiting fans can sit in the restricted view seats with the architects (who have supposedly been forced to buy those 10 year tickets for their stupidity).
    All major international rugby games and soccer games will be played in Croke Park with 82,500 spectators.
    In 7 years time a new national stadium, with a running track and big enough for GAA will be built on the glass bottle site by NAMA and it will host the opening ceremony for the 2020 Olympics.

All joking aside, I was delighted that the home of Rugby did not move from the oldest rugby ground to some souless out of town site, but I was pretty dissapointed with the decision to build a stadium of only 50,000 capacity, despite the fantastically improved facilities that will be on offer.

As far as I can remember (and correct me if I'm wrong) the only reason for the low capacity was due to objections from residents to the proposed extra 15,000 spectators for a 65,000 seater which was going to be rotated 90 degrees. The IRFU wanted 65k and had the money to build it, but overcoming local NIMBYism was going to prove impossible, which I think is a great shame.

Anyway, the general consensus from rugby fans seems to be that Croke Park's atmosphere was poor (except for first English game) and we can't wait for Lansdowne to be ready. The atmosphere will be fantastic and the facilities first rate, for those who can get tickets.

Regarding the low roof, I am strongly of the opinion that the designers/architects/engineers screwed up and that those sitting in the top of the stand will be mostly looking at large white tubes. I pray I do not getlanded with seats up there.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Atrocious access? How so.

The streets around it cannot cope with 45,000 fans pouring in/out; let alone 80,000.

The streets around it cannot cope with 45,000 fans pouring in/out; let alone 80,000.
    I disagree, the crowds disperse very quickly from around Croke Park due to the many streets which can be accessed straight away. It's a very good ground in terms of 'getting away from it'.

I'm not trying to be controversial here or anything but being I'm a regular at Dublin games and Ireland games where I sit in the lower Cusack there are never any issues in the streets around Croke Park after the game - maybe thats something I don't because I'm a clued up regular? Maybe, but I doubt it.

There only issue is the 45 odd rows below the exits trying to get off the lower tiers at the same time.

I disagree, the crowds disperse very quickly from around Croke Park due to the many streets which can be accessed straight away. It's a very good ground in terms of 'getting away from it'.

I'm not trying to be controversial here or anything but being I'm a regular at Dublin games and Ireland games where I sit in the lower Cusack there are never any issues in the streets around Croke Park after the game - maybe thats something I don't because I'm a clued up regular? Maybe, but I doubt it.

There only issue is the 45 odd rows below the exits trying to get off the lower tiers at the same time.

Having attended games at large stadiums abroad, I can tell you that its so far from 'very good' in terms of access that its not funny. Entry speed, empty speed, transport links are all laughable.

Having attended games at large stadiums abroad, I can tell you that its so far from 'very good' in terms of access that its not funny. Entry speed, empty speed, transport links are all laughable.
    I've a feeling 'user issues' might be half the battle.

I've been caught up in more congestion in the Amsterdam Arena, Stade De France, Old Trafford etc.., than I have ever been in Croke Park where the attendance has been higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

When Leinster win the Magners League and the Heineken Cup again next year, their support will swell again so much that all home games will have to be played in Lansdowne Road. The visiting fans can sit in the restricted view seats with the architects (who have supposedly been forced to buy those 10 year tickets for their stupidity).
    All major international rugby games and soccer games will be played in Croke Park with 82,500 spectators.
    In 7 years time a new national stadium, with a running track and big enough for GAA will be built on the glass bottle site by NAMA and it will host the opening ceremony for the 2020 Olympics.

All joking aside, I was delighted that the home of Rugby did not move from the oldest rugby ground to some souless out of town site, but I was pretty dissapointed with the decision to build a stadium of only 50,000 capacity, despite the fantastically improved facilities that will be on offer.

As far as I can remember (and correct me if I'm wrong) the only reason for the low capacity was due to objections from residents to the proposed extra 15,000 spectators for a 65,000 seater which was going to be rotated 90 degrees. The IRFU wanted 65k and had the money to build it, but overcoming local NIMBYism was going to prove impossible, which I think is a great shame.

Anyway, the general consensus from rugby fans seems to be that Croke Park's atmosphere was poor (except for first English game) and we can't wait for Lansdowne to be ready. The atmosphere will be fantastic and the facilities first rate, for those who can get tickets.

Regarding the low roof, I am strongly of the opinion that the designers/architects/engineers screwed up and that those sitting in the top of the stand will be mostly looking at large white tubes. I pray I do not getlanded with seats up there.

Anyway when Munster win the Magners League and Heineken Cup next year the IRFU will sell Lansdowne Road to the FAI and move to a new stadium at the real home of Irish rugby - Thomond Park. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

The visiting fans can sit in the restricted view seats with the architects (who have supposedly been forced to buy those 10 year tickets for their stupidity).

I've read a few articles in papers about the new Lansdowne, but none of them mention restricted-view seats. Link please?
    I was delighted that the home of Rugby did not move from the oldest rugby ground to some souless out of town site, but I was pretty dissapointed with the decision to build a stadium of only 50,000 capacity, despite the fantastically improved facilities that will be on offer.

It's a great pity alright. A reduced capacity of 50,000 is an extremely unfortunate compromise, and one that will prove massively expensive to the IRFU. Croker is filled to the rafters for every rugby international, and there's always demand for thousands more tickets. With at least five international matches being played in Dublin every year, the IRFU stand to lose roughly €6 million in annual ticket sales by reducing the capacity from 65,000 to 50,000 (based on an average price of €80 per ticket). Factoring in reduced income from corporate boxes and premium seating, the amount lost would increase significantly.

We could have Connacht winning the Heineken Cup with that kind of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

From the ground shots it will be a terrific place if your in the lower tier because its so close to the pitch and the stand is quite steep.

But those roof rafters... geez!
    They wont block any view of the pitch, but they are so low it will seem very clostrophobic.

wonder could someone scale those rafters?
    Much better view from the edge of the roof looking down! :eek:

They wont block any view of the pitch, but they are so low it will seem very clostrophobic.

:eek:
    That will only add to the atmosphere. Croke Park is too open for rugby and soccer and the atmosphere just drains from the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dugganm07

is that a big screen i can see being erected in some of the ground pictures?

dugganm07 wrote: »
    is that a big screen i can see being erected in some of the ground pictures?

Certainly looks like it. A bit early to be putting in the big screens don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Lansdowne, but none of them mention restricted-view seats. Link please?

See earlier posts for all the links. The consensus seems to be that there won't be any seats whee you can't see the full playing area, but that in the top of the upper tier your view will be mostly room beams.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

I was really looking forward to the new aviva. Have to say I am a little disappointed so far. In my opinion I think that the north end drop looks very severe compared to the grand scale of the rest of the stadium. It reminds me of Croke park - unfinished. Apart from that end the rest looks pretty impressive. A shame they couldnt get it 100% right. But I guess we should be grateful we are finally getting a new stadium. It may take a little time but we the green army will make it a fortress once again you can count on that! I would have thought the big screen would have been one of the final things to be put in place after seats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Ive seen all the photos. Ive walked around the outside of it. Ive even walked around the inside of it and that north end is an unmitigated disaster. Its a similar size to the west stand in Tallaght stadium with a wall of glass behind it. Better than what we had, but I can already here the sniggering from foreign media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Tefral

I was there last week on a site visit. I took loads and loads of photos but i cant post them up with out the clients permission.

There is a fully fitted out corporate box, which we went into also, savage views from there, theres also an 800 seater restaurant going in with another circa 500 seater restaurant going in too. The disabled are really well catered for here, and to be honest have probably the best area viewing wise. Plenty of toilets around too. The seats are slightly bigger in the stadium then those of Thomond park or Croker. This option cost them 5000 seats overall though.

The pitch is not big enough to hold a senior hurling game just in case down the line you never know. There are 8 seats without full view, this currently means that 8 seats cant make out one corner flag thats all, the rest of the pitch can be seen. There is one giant tv, bigger than the one hanging up in corker in at the moment with one more to go in.

The north end of the stadium is a complete disaster in my opinion. We now have a lovely horse shoe as a stadium as the north end is quite frankly tiny. You can see straight into the back rooms of the resident houses they are that close. Its an awful pity that they couldnt buy them out but such is life.

The stadium doesnt encroach on the Dart stop as CIE own the airspace above the lines. To facilitate this they rotated the stadium 14 degrees i think it was. The polycarbonate louvers are pretty cool, i remain unconvinced that they are self cleaning though, i suppose time will tell.

There is 10,000 corporate tickets, 20,000 premium tickets and 20,000 regular tickets available. There are plenty of bars and the place is well setup for everything outside of games to include concerts, weddings etc.

• Advertisement

A good bounce on a trampoline and you would be over that north end! The more I look at it the more ridiculous it looks. There is a house clearly visable from the latest ground shots. I understand they were restricted with planning etc but surely they could have achieved a design that does'nt look like they ran out of material! The old north stand was no where near as low as this. Will this dead end suck the atmosphere out of the stadium? I think so. Does anyone think the roof looks a bit odd? Or is it just me!

Kristian_ wrote: »
    Does anyone think the roof looks a bit odd? Or is it just me!

What's odd about the roof? It looks OK to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

Koloman wrote: »
    What's odd about the roof? It looks OK to me!
    its a fecken joke.thats whats wrong.if i was a skier id love the slope all the way down to the north stand [pole].

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I have to say the roof structure bugs the hell out of me :mad:
    it is a similar design to The Emirates Stadium except it over hangs !
    don't know the reason for it but it looks ridiculus !

cronin_j wrote: »
    There is 10,000 corporate tickets, 20,000 premium tickets and 20,000 regular tickets available. There are plenty of bars and the place is well setup for everything outside of games to include concerts, weddings etc.
    Where are you getting this from?

There are 10,000 premium level seats, 1,300 box level and 38,700 general seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Tefral

Where are you getting this from?

There are 10,000 premium level seats, 1,300 box level and 38,700 general seats.

Just relaying what the PM said to me!

Fair enough, it's incorrect though. The stadium is made up of the above.

Perhaps your information is in the context of the IRFU.

:eek:
    What the jaysus would Gordon Brown know about it and how come you're on such good terms with him?

biffoman wrote: »
    its a fecken joke.thats whats wrong.if i was a skier id love the slope all the way down to the north stand [pole].

I think some people are over-analysing this! It will be a fantastic new stadium and a least that "slope" that some are going on about will give it a bit of character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

There are 8 seats without full view, this currently means that 8 seats cant make out one corner flag thats all, the rest of the pitch can be seen.

How many seats will have restricted views when O'Gara takes a penalty or kicks a high one down the line landing just inside the corner flag. Definitely takes away from the enjoyment if you have to look at the screen to get a proper view.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

biffoman wrote: »

They had to keep that end low for planning, not sure what you expected them to do?

Koloman wrote: »
    What's odd about the roof? It looks OK to me![/quote

It just looks like it hangs over alot. But it will prob look ok when complete. Maybe when it is finished and with a capacity crowd the stadium as a whole will blend well and have a nice feel about it regardless of the missing presence at the north end. I certainly hope so anyway. We have waited for this for so long I really hope it will be an arena to be proud of.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

copacetic wrote: »
    They had to keep that end low for planning, not sure what you expected them to do?

Build a proper stadium somewhere else if it couldn't be done on the current site.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

copacetic wrote: »
    they had planning to make the SLOPE less.ie "the north stand could be taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Setanta_og

Joey Joe-Joe Jr Love that IP address U use clever or what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement