Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Police State: New laws with e100 on the spot fines for being drunk in public

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    That because the garda can't be arsed going to court but will be more then will to spend 5 minutes handing out a fine ticket.
    No, thats still too much for them, they will just simply zap it on to your state ID card. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dragan wrote: »
    Are any of the people complaining actually paying attention to the "danger to yourselves or others aspect?"
    If I get drunk and decide I want to fall over and smash my head off the footpath then I should be allowed to. DAMN COPPERS TAKING AWAY MY FREE SPEECH!!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

doonothing wrote: »
    Hang on, is it 100 for drunk and unreasonable or something? How is it anyone elses problem if you are drunk in public? Surely if you make it anyone elses problem,it falls under drunk and disorderly no? I dont see what this 100 fine could be for.

Being too drunk to be able to walk straight and step out into oncoming traffic isn't AFAIK "drunk and disorderly".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No, thats still too much for them, they will just simply zap it on to your state ID card. :D

Oh ffs, there is no state ID card and there won't be in the foreseeable future. I mean come on, not having to carry your passport when you fly abroad, can you honestly see that level of convenience in Ireland?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If I get drunk and decide I want to fall over and smash my head off the footpath then I should be allowed to. DAMN COPPERS TAKING AWAY MY FREE SPEECH!!!!!!

FIGHT DA POWAH!!

Aw ****, ye shudda seen yesterday it was mad craic. Me and Johno walkin down the street and alls we hear is a po-lice siren and then the pig-cruiser flies by. I says to Johno, "Aww whiffa bacon offa dat!". Burst our ****s laughing so we did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Ponster wrote: »
    Being too drunk to be able to walk straight and step out into oncoming traffic isn't AFAIK "drunk and disorderly".

Jesus, I really would have thought that one would be, at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I think you should blame the tarmac more then the garda's if you smash your head while "trying to stop our heritage from been destroyed",

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

They are going to follow this up with a law against having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Ponster wrote: »
    That's fine. But this law has been in place since 1994. Since then it has been in the Garda's power to do something about someone who was drunk in public and the power has probably been used quite often. The only thing that has changed is that now you can be fined €100/€140 rather than appearing in court.

Ah well my reply was aimed at the fine...

It would be impressive to see the gards stop a group of 24 lads and ask them to pay 100euro each.....

MIN2511 wrote: »
    It would be impressive to see the gards stop a group of 24 lads and ask them to pay 100euro each.....

Come on now, that's not within the Guarda interest.....Easy targets think of easy targets. :p

• Advertisement

You would also want to walk very carefully on the way home from the pub. Wilh all these Garda CCTV cams pointing down at you at every street corner, they will be able to watch your movements and tell immediately if you are drunk by the way you walk. They can then deploy a squad car and have you fined on the spot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Bollox wrote: »
    /faceplant

oki-dokey, just so I have this straight in my head: if you want to go for a few quiet drinks in your local you MUST have a designated driver with you / be prepared to pay extortionate taxi fees.

however if you want to have a good night then you need to have been to the offy before 10pm and drink in a house.

so seeing as a lot of people, like me, enjoy the pub life we are going to see traffic congestion increase atleast 3 fold.

the Irish Government does it again *claps*

Good stuff, certainly dont let little things like reading the posts other than the ones by riun_to_da_hills get in your way of a good moan.

Seriously. I've said it before and no wI'm saying it again, can we have a run_to_da_hills forum please? Obviously as a conspiracy theory sub-forum.

You would also want to walk very carefully on the way home from the pub. Wilh all these Garda CCTV cams pointing down at you at every street corner, they will be able to watch your movements and tell immediately if you are drunk by the way you walk. They can then deploy a squad car and have you fined on the spot.

So seeing as you've sidestepped the reasoned arguements again (at least your consistant), I'll look for an answer. Seeing as this is just a way to opt out of spending a night in the cells thats been herefor years. Where was all the outrage before? How come we arent flooded with threads about people being hauled in in their thousands but now, with the option of a fine it's going to be widespread?

Bottom line, the gards will not be hauling random people quietly walking down streets on their own into squad cars and fineing them. Faliing all over the place locked and having difficaulty staying concious is a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You would also want to walk very carefully on the way home from the pub. Wilh all these Garda CCTV cams pointing down at you at every street corner, they will be able to watch your movements and tell immediately if you are drunk by the way you walk. They can then deploy a squad car and have you fined on the spot. :D

Tut tut. Obviously the Garda CCTV cams would have integrated RFID sensors so they can fine you automatically without any need to deploy a squad car.

To be honest I'm surprised at you for missing that one RTDH.

Perhaps they will be inspired by barrier free tolling, Why dispatch a car just have a tag and charge you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Maybe people will learn to drink sensibly now.

At home of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

@Stekelly:- Speeding fines started out as a safety initiative and evolved into an economic initiative when they discovered that there's money to be made out of motorists. They then evolved the system in such a manner as to make any manor woman fearful of trying to prove his or her innocence as you are under threat of a doubling in penalty if you cannot persuade the judge (a right, not a privilege I may add).

Do you really trust the state with this law? Do you really trust the gardai?? Having dated a gard for about a year and having met her peers in social circles, I'll tell you that I don't.

What was wrong with hauling people off to drunk tanks and to safety if they were incapacitated? Whats the point in telling someone "Your drunk and a danger to yourself", fining them and letting them off to stumble the rest of the way home?? Where's the safety element, which was the original intent of the law?!?

(I'm ignoring the drunk and disorderly bit btw!!)

Obviously the Garda CCTV cams would have integrated RFID sensors so they can fine you automatically without any need to deploy a squad car.
    Obviously they'll know who you are from the barcode on your arse!!:D

WOWWWWWW Stalin in the house....

I've been hammered lots of times and done nobody any harm. Did it do me harm? 1. No I'm still fine 2. Who it's nobody's business.

This is obviously a debate argues on one side by those who believe that adults should encouraged to make the right decision and people who believe adults should be forced to make the right decision.

I find that the second group often have a problem paying for bintags.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You could bring in a law letting the Garda shoot anyone they didnt like the look of dead and youd have the likes of SteKelly there saying 'so what? it'll only affect scumbags'.

Ah well. That whole concept of being able to live our lifes without interference from the state was overrated anyway.

Boggle wrote: »
    They then evolved the system in such a manner as to make any manor woman fearful of trying to prove his or her innocence as you are under threat of a doubling in penalty if you cannot persuade the judge (a right, not a privilege I may add).

I agree with this bit although not the rest of it. The 'discount' for waiving your right to a trial is borderline unconstitutional.
    What was wrong with hauling people off to drunk tanks and to safety if they were incapacitated? Whats the point in telling someone "Your drunk and a danger to yourself", fining them and letting them off to stumble the rest of the way home?? Where's the safety element, which was the original intent of the law?!?

(I'm ignoring the drunk and disorderly bit btw!!)

Do you know how much Garda time it takes to haul one single drunk off to the tank for a night? And then to monitor him/her until morning so they don't die in the cell?

The point in fining someone but not wasting resources babysitting them all night is to create a disincentive to getting drunk and disorderly in the first place. It might make them think about it more the next time.

@Stekelly:- Speeding fines started out as a safety initiative and evolved into an economic initiative when they discovered that there's money to be made out of motorists.

Not the best economic initiative. In 10 years they havnt got a penny out of me.

People can choose whether or not to break laws. Whether or not the government choose to levy a fine on it doesnt change your ability to choose to break it or not.

CiaranC wrote: »
    You could bring in a law letting the Garda shoot anyone they didnt like the look of dead and youd have the likes of SteKelly there saying 'so what? it'll only affect scumbags'.

Reductio ad absurdum. Great way to win an argument. :rolleyes:

It was already an offence to be drunk and disorderly in public wasn't it? Now they're just streamlining the process of punishment. More efficient use of Garda resources imo.
    Ah well. That whole concept of being able to live our lifes without interference from the state was overrated anyway.

When was that ever the case? And it depends on your definition of interference anyway.

Not the best economic initiative. In 10 years they havnt got a penny out of me.
    Me neither. Still bothers me to see SAFETY checkpoints on the best stretches of road in the country all the while ignoring the dangerous areas.
    People can choose whether or not to break laws. Whether or not the government choose to levy a fine on it doesnt change your ability to choose to break it or not.
    They can choose when the law is clearly defined. Break 60mph on a main road - easy to define so easy to obey.
    Meet some cop on a power trip who decides your drunk - how do you argue with that?!?
    Ever dealt with a cop on a powertrip??
    Do you know how much Garda time it takes to haul one single drunk off to the tank for a night? And then to monitor him/her until morning so they don't die in the cell?
    Can you imagine the lawsuit when little Johny gets hurt having been adjudged by a guard to be a danger to himself, fined and then let off??

If this law is about safety, then let it be about safety...

Obviously they'll know who you are from the barcode on your arse!!:D

Naw, barcodes are old hat and would be useless on your arse as they must be in line of sight from the laser. You would have to moon in front of the camera to get a reading :D

javaboy wrote: »
    Reductio ad absurdum. Great way to win an argument. :rolleyes:
    Did I accidently join the UCD debating society? I didnt even know I had to win.

I was merely pointing out my irritation at people who insist on new laws for absolutley everything they view as a problem in society. More laws, more fines, close the off licences down at some retarded time, close the pubs and clubs early. We get more and more restrictive laws, but nothing changes, the crime rates stay the same, car safety doesnt change, people dont stop drinking as much as they want. So what do people say? We need even more laws! :)

Naw, barcodes are old hat and would be useless as they need to be line of sight from the laser. You would have to moon in front of the camera to get a reading
    I'm confused! What else whould you be doing in front of a cctv camera with a skinful of booze!!:P

I was merely pointing out my irritation at people who insist on new laws for absolutley everything they view as a problem in society. More laws, more fines, close the off licences down at some retarded time, close the pubs and clubs early. We get more and more restrictive laws, but nothing changes, the crime rates stay the same, car safety doesnt change, people dont stop drinking as much as they want. So what do people say? We need even more laws!
    Probably because the only thing we do better than bringing in new laws is getting bored with enforcing the old ones!!

• Advertisement

Probably because the only thing we do better than bringing in new laws is getting bored with enforcing the old ones!!

Indeed. There ought to be a law against it.

Advertisement