Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten stabbed to death in drunken attack

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's absolutely sick. Someone who does that has the intent to kill and should be locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mairt wrote: »
    Well said.

Reading that sent a shiver through me, pity more here couldn't be as sensitive and understanding.
    I've kinda detached myself from the story because to be honest, thinking about it in any detail would upset me too much. I used to get bothered by such stories but now I just tune out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Red Alert wrote: »
    It's absolutely sick. Someone who does that has the intent to kill and should be locked up.

that's a bit harsh, you could say the same about any meat eater, it's the law of the jungle, survival of the fittest (cat's are aware of this a lot more than we are), we all posesse the ability to kill, it's built into us.....our western society dictates we cuddle cats, not every country or people share the same view....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I wonder if any here who profess such outrage at this incident that they want this guy's head actually give a shít about global poverty, sweatshops, child labour etc.

Seriously, horrific as this incident was, it's just a cat.... You probably passively support much worse crimes on a day to day basis but don't care because it hasn't been sensationalised like this.

I understand perfectly that global warming or genocide is more important than a cat. I don't have to compare any of the acts to know that they are all wrong.

I'm not proffering an opinion on the value of human life or about sweatshops, although I can if you want.

I'm proffering one about the story to hand - a sick fcuk that tortured and killed an innocent animal. It's not any less wrong because it's less serious than famine and war.
    that's a bit harsh, you could say the same about any meat eater, it's the law of the jungle, survival of the fittest (cat's are aware of this a lot more than we are), we all posesse the ability to kill, it's built into us.....our western society dictates we cuddle cats, not every country or people share the same view....

You fail at trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭reggiethefirst

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I wonder if any here who profess such outrage at this incident that they want this guy's head actually give a shít about global poverty, sweatshops, child labour etc.

Seriously, horrific as this incident was, it's just a cat.... You probably passively support much worse crimes on a day to day basis but don't care because it hasn't been sensationalised like this.

Here here, by buying nike runners you are supporting and increasing demand for child labour. By supporting companies such as this you are subjecting children to horrific conditions in sweatshops. Any yet people here feel more strongly about than innocent child. Look at the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

stovelid wrote: »
    I understand perfectly that global warming or genocide is more important than a cat. I don't have to compare any of the acts to know that they are all wrong.

I'm not proffering an opinion on the value of human life or about sweatshops, although I can if you want.

I'm proffering one about the story to hand - a sick fcuk that tortured and killed an innocent animal. It's not any less wrong because it's less serious than famine and war.
    *shrug

I just find it kind of ironic that someone would get so incensed over this and yet be indifferent to and often passively supporting much worse atrocities.

Suffice to say: Sensationalism Works.

Here here, by buying nike runners you are supporting and increasing demand for child labour. By supporting companies such as this you are subjecting children to horrific conditions in sweatshops. Any yet people here feel more strongly about than innocent child. Look at the bigger picture.

By your own admission then, your life is completely free of this kind of compromise? Given that you care so much about the big picture.

I'd be interested in hearing about how no part of your life (in a developed country) involves third-party exploitation of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Mairt wrote: »
    I realise this is After Hours and a lot of things are said 'tongue in cheek', but I've modified by opinions of more than one person here based on their behaviour in this thread and what they're willing to post up.

Cats in sacks, and hitting them over the head with bricks etc.. I've a cat, I've also two dogs - all three are treated as family members, we put equal value on all their lives.

And that said, if ANYONE wanted to come here and try harm one of my dogs or my cat I'd quickly put a value on that person's life far below that of my pets and I'd exact very heavy punishment on the idiot.

So the killing of a cat made the national headlines!.. Wow, last week it was Kerry Kitona's tit's in The Star - slow news days happen, don't buy the god damn papers if you feel strongly enough.

+1

Then again i tend to agree with Mairt a lot.

stovelid wrote: »
    By your own admission then, your life is completely free of this kind of compromise? Given that you care so much about the big picture.

I'd be interested in hearing about how no part of your life (in a developed country) involves third-party exploitation of some sort?

Obviously not, that would be nigh on impossible unless I live in a shack in the middle of nowhere, growing my own food, making my own clothes. But I try to minimise my impact and care much more about exploiting developing countries for our benefit than I do about a kitten in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Degsy wrote: »
    The article also says that those responsible could do it to a young child next..ffs..idiocy.
    I wonder when the name "fifi" was dubbed on this much-loved family pet..probably during the course of the interview.
    The idea that the killing of a poxy cat should make the news ever,is laughable,especially when there's plenty of human suffering to go around.

He was carrying a knife.
    He had the emotional withdrawal to use it to kill a creature that was no threat.
    You have made it clear in your post that you dislike cats, a lot of people do, but would you kill one knowing that someone may be emotionally attached to it? I very much doubt it.
    It is worth thinking of the state of the persons mind at the time that would have done this.
    He/she was probably very angry, either drugged or incredibly drunk. Most likely not thinking in a real world sense. I doubt they would have thought this was entertaining, more of an outburst. This person was not of the mental state that most people would consider 'normal'.

Do I think that this person could have used the deliberately carried knife on another human being that they crossed paths with at this stage.

Yes I do.

If this report was on a brutally stabbed donkey I would think the exact same thing. The rage was enough to use an illegally carried, lethal weapon on a living creature that standard society would consider as harmless and does not cross over into any form of disgust (ie rats, mice, spiders, snakes).

This person would scare me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jumpy wrote: »
    He was carrying a knife.

That's a very good point and is the most concerning point of the whole incident. There seems to be a serious knife epidemic at the moment at somebody needs to get a handle on it....

Anyone know the law about carring a knife?, and where do they draw the line between knife for work & pleasure and a knife for intent to mame...?

Obviously not, that would be nigh on impossible unless I live in a shack in the middle of nowhere, growing my own food, making my own clothes. But I try to minimise my impact and care much more about exploiting developing countries for our benefit than I do about a kitten in limerick.
    If I find this case very upsetting (which I do) it does not mean I consider it more serious than third world exploitation. I'm only looking at the case on its own merits, not comparing it to other scenarios. And on the face of it, this case is horrible.

Dudess wrote: »
    If I find this case very upsetting (which I do) it does not mean I consider it more serious than third world exploitation. I'm only looking at the case on its own merits, not comparing it to other scenarios. And on the face of it, this case is horrible.

I agree it was a fairly horrific event, I just feel it does not merit this amount of attention, when there are so many other more horrific events every day.

I also agree it doesn't warrant national news and such tabloidy language normally reserved for the death of a human... but I do think it warrants attention here - considering there are also threads on this forum about defecation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dr P Bear

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
    The valiant never taste of death but once."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Am I a bad man to think this is hillarious?
    The f**ker was drunk, it was in Limerick, and he knifed a kitten for the fun.

If he does for the fun, I wonder what he does to a kid when he's angry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The article was written in a style that suggests strong emotional impact. The language used is almost identical to the sort that would be used in a case of murder or assault on a human. Am I far off the mark?

The reason why yourself and the OP think that this is funny is because you see a greater distance in value between a human and a kitten than many other posters here do. Hence the article seems farcical to you. Much as I might if the article were written about a house plant. However I see the value of a kitten's life, whilst being considerably less than that of a human, as not being insignificant enough to make the tone of the article "funny". I can see it as being over the top for the subject matter, but not the thigh slapper that apparently you see it as.

Jesus christ! It isn't exactly laugh out loud but it's the images the text conjurs up that are funny.

When the piece says stuff like "rushed to hospital" the image that first comes to mind is along the lines of paramedics coming, putting a neck brace on it and carefully mounting this tiny kitten onto a little kittycat-stretcher and into the back of an ambulance before it tears off down the road sirens blaring, cars pulling over to let it through and all sorts of fuss on arrival at the hospital.

Recognising something that surprises us is how pretty much all humour works. In this case, a kitten being in what most people think of as a human situation is humorous.

This bull**** about not seeing value in a kitten's life because of this is ridiculous... I actually can't believe you think like that.

EDIT: In fact it reminds of a part in the simpsons where a gerbel or something is rushed into the vet and he does the usual drama shouting "CLEAR" before he tries to revive it and when the machine shows it's dead he's like "god damnit!". Why do you think the writers thought that might be funny? You'll probably also say something stupid like "yea that was a cartoon though, you heartless psychopath!" but the images conjured up by the text are even less real then a cartoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

me too...

EDIT: not sure if I'm allowed actually...

but the images conjured up by the text are even less real then a cartoon.

Not for everyone.

Most people focus on what it was about, not the the style in which it was written.

Anyone who has stated that they think the article is funny because of the way it is written. We get it. You dont need to try and defend yourselves. It sometimes means you write stuff that is unintentional and easily taken out of context and it just make yourselves look bad when someone does just that.

Half the people on the thread are stating what a horrible occurence it is, the other half are trying to put forward what the OP meant. These things are clashing and its causing all sorts of misunderstandings.

Anyone who stabs a kitten = screwed up
    Anyone who laughs at someone stabbing a kitten = screwed up
    Anyone who laughs at an article style which may have humourous wording, regardless of the content = not thinking of the reaction he/she might get from others by publically announcing it but not screwed up. Just not thinking ahead.

• Advertisement

But I try to minimise my impact

I'm very proud of you.
    and care much more about exploiting developing countries for our benefit than I do about a kitten in limerick.

I care about developing countries. I care about the welfare of animals.

I don't usually feel that I have to choose which one I care about most. If I was told by an omnipotent power that I could cure either but not both, I'd opt for the humans, but so what?

As for it being front page news, it's the fcuking Indo. What exactly do you expect their leading stories to be? That's why I neither read (or care) what they write in that rag.

What exactly was your point then jumpy? I thought it went without saying that the guy who did it is a nutjob. Do you expect every poster to say "omfg this psycho must die" for them to prove they care about the kitten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

When the piece says stuff like "rushed to hospital" the image that first comes to mind is along the lines of paramedics coming, putting a neck brace on it and carefully mounting this tiny kitten onto a little kittycat-stretcher and into the back of an ambulance before it tears off down the road sirens blaring, cars pulling over to let it through and all sorts of fuss on arrival at the hospital.

Not to mention the large heroic fireman administering mouth to mouth and CPR :D

I could see it in my head, him taking a large breath breathing into the kittens tiny mouth, inflating the whole animal, then with his large fingers, trying daintily to pump it's chest and a large caption underneath saying 'Real Man'

It's funny that we try to put a human face on an animal, I guess thats the only face we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭localhothead

well , at least he got closer to a pussy than you'll ever get dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

They do say the psychopaths start out by attacking animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Presume this fcuker will never be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

m@cc@ wrote: »
    They do say the psychopaths start out by attacking animals.

Quite often they do. A guy who can do that to a kitten is probably quite capable of doing something similiar to a human. I find it sad that some people actually think this is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dudess wrote: »
    But nobody (apart from a troll who doesn't count) said they thought what happened to the kitten was funny. Some people said they found the hysterical style of writing funny - there's a massive difference.

(to answer your earlier post)
    I feel a person with the capacity to derive pleasure from torturing animals may do so with or without alcohol. The alcohol in this case likely acted as a disinhibitor. I think this guy is disturbed and drink is once again being used as a excuse to explain away his vile actions.

I get why this article is supposed to be funny. Those who find it amusing seem to do so because the kitten is an inferior being to us. The writing style suggests anthropomorphism on the part of the scribe therefore it's hilarious to them.
    I believe we give rights to those who do not have the capacity to understand those rights and as such we should not inflict needless cruelty on them. I still fail to see the humour in a report that expresses outrage about this, but other do apparently because the tone of the article is too significant for a mere animal.

well , at least he got closer to a pussy than you'll ever get dude :D
    WindSock's a girl.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Quite often they do. A guy who can do that to a kitten is probably quite capable of doing something similiar to a human. I find it sad that some people actually think this is funny.

No one is finding it funny.

See my last post.

Advertisement