Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten stabbed to death in drunken attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Are you just typing to fill space?
    Darn, you just uncovered my game plan. Nice one Batman, or should I say Catwoman?
    Mice eat anything they can scavenge and tend to **** in people's cupboards, spreading disease. Killing them is the only alternative to living with them. I'd be worried if someone found that killing to be enjoyable or funny.
    I know lots of people who find killing animals enjoyable. and in fact, this thread was created about a newspaper who made a drama out of stabbing a cat, and banging it repeatedly off a wall.

and yah, sure it's cruel, but writing an article like this, and then the owner making a big public anonymous drama out of it, is a tad ridiculous.
    Lots of practical reasons. Is it relevant to this thread?
    Yes. Why can't we use cats?
    I'm sure if we made the wheel big enough, cats would use that too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

nevf I assume is not a cat lover?

To violently kill an animal, ANY animal, in this way is sick :( Hope that fcuker gets a massive fine or some jailtime for it.

As for the article itself, the style of writing was a bit sensationalist but I wouldn't say it was funny.

andrew wrote: »
    Saying it's ok to kill Rats but not cats because cats have been domesticated is pretty hypocritical. Is it ok to kill a feral cat then?
    I say invest in a gun, and either kill them all, or none.

At least by doing that, the animals are exercising their rights to equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

AtomicHorror:
    For the love of god andrew, we get why it is meant to be funny. But it still isn't.

Obviously you don't. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting as offended as you are.

The article was written in a style that suggests strong emotional impact. The language used is almost identical to the sort that would be used in a case of murder or assault on a human. Am I far off the mark?

The reason why yourself and the OP think that this is funny is because you see a greater distance in value between a human and a kitten than many other posters here do. Hence the article seems farcical to you. Much as I might if the article were written about a house plant. However I see the value of a kitten's life, whilst being considerably less than that of a human, as not being insignificant enough to make the tone of the article "funny". I can see it as being over the top for the subject matter, but not the thigh slapper that apparently you see it as.

Saying it's ok to kill Rats but not cats because cats have been domesticated is pretty hypocritical. Is it ok to kill a feral cat then?

Feral cats do get put down if captured, don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Lets hope they don't find nevf.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kitten-stabbed-to-death-in-drunken-attack-1473411.html

Am I a bad man to think this is hillarious? The funniest part is that they took the standard "A man was fatally stabbed" story and replace man with kitten. So the "badly injured kitten was rushed to the Treaty Vetinary Clinic in Thomondgate but died a short time later".

I apologise in advance if the owner of the cat reads this; I'm not laughing at the death of the cat so much as the style of the article and the surreality of drunkenly attacking a cat.

You disgust me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The article was written in a style that suggests strong emotional impact. The language used is almost identical to the sort that would be used in a case of murder or assault on a human. Am I far off the mark?

The reason why yourself and the OP think that this is funny is because you see a greater distance in value between a human and a kitten than many other posters here do. Hence the article seems farcical to you. Much as I might if the article were written about a house plant. However I see the value of a kitten's life, whilst being considerably less than that of a human, as not being insignificant enough to make the tone of the article "funny". I can see it as being over the top for the subject matter, but not the thigh slapper that apparently you see it as.

Feral cats do get put down if captured, don't they?

Well, if you actually feel that way about animals, i can see where you're coming from.

So it is ok to kill a feral cat, but not a domesticated one then? Whats the difference? Do you not think that a feral cat has value in of itself, just as a human being does?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You disgust me!

You see this is the kind of response that fuels the flames.

nevf wrote: »
    Darn, you just uncovered my game plan. Nice one Batman, or should I say Catwoman?

I get it. Because we're talking about a kitten? This humour business is tricky.
    I know lots of people who find killing animals enjoyable. and in fact, this thread was created about a newspaper who made a drama out of stabbing a cat, and banging it repeatedly off a wall.

and yah, sure it's cruel, but writing an article like this, and then the owner making a big public anonymous drama out of it, is a tad ridiculous.

It sure is, but the ridiculous is not necessarily funny.
    Yes. Why can't we use cats?
    I'm sure if we made the wheel big enough, cats would use that too...

Oh we're going to do this then. Okay. They don't breed fast enough or produce big enough litters. They grow too slowly and don't reach reproductive age for months. They're are large, they eat a lot and they tend to become aggressive when caged, poked at or prodded in any manner. They are extremely uncooperative when it comes to running mazes or accepting injections. When they decide to hurt someone, it really hurts. And of course, they are a widely domesticated species and most scientists have enough issues culling mice and rats without having to euthanize something that looks like their beloved household pet.

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    You see this is the kind of response that fuels the flames.

No, stating that you find a story about a drunk stabbing a kitten and throwing it against a wall funny, lights the fire and fuels the flames at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Some of the views on this thread are utterly f**king ridiculous. There are some humans who, with a guarantee of no prosecution, I would happily kill in favour of a cat.

People form emotional bonds to their pets. Dudess made the point earlier that whilst cats are of course nowhere near as intelligent as humans they do still clearly feel the emotions of fear and distress.

It is more about the emotional bond that developed humans form. If I point a high calibre shotgun at the head of a human baby only born twelve hours it will show no signs of fear. Does that mean it is alright to stab a new born baby abandoned outside a hospital and throw it against a wall. If the baby in question has been abandoned by its mother, the mother clearly wants nothing to do with it and no one else has at that point formed an emotional bond with the child.

Really though, in conclusion, the guy who did this is just a cnut and provides a convincing argument for eugenics. I would welcome his death but I would not welcome the judicial system being the arbiters of whether or not he lives or dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭reggiethefirst

What kind a horrible c*nt stabs a kitten. That guy deserves a public flogging. This has nothing to do with drink - this country's streets are filled with sub-human inbred troglodyte petite-crime scum. It is a case of breeding. Tiny gene pool = scrambled brains. They should be put down. Put their kids in a bag and throw them in the river.

I see. So, as punishment for killing this kitten, you say he should be publicly flogged and killed himself, then drown his kids. So if you were in control you would flog him, kill him and then put his kids in a bag and drown them. A truly horrific act.

Hypocrite anyone?

I get it. Because we're talking about a kitten? This humour business is tricky.

It sure is, but the ridiculous is not necessarily funny.

Oh we're going to do this then. Okay. They don't breed fast enough or produce big enough litters. They grow too slowly and don't reach reproductive age for months. They're are large, they eat a lot and they tend to become aggressive when caged, poked at or prodded in any manner. They are extremely uncooperative when it comes to running mazes or accepting injections. When they decide to hurt someone, it really hurts. And of course, they are a widely domesticated species and most scientists have enough issues culling mice and rats without having to euthanize something that looks like their beloved household pet.
    Ah, yah humour business is tricky alright. ...Humour killed the kitty.

yah, I agree, it's was ridiculous. Whilst the act wasn't funny, the article was such a drama overhaul.

And in relation to your third and really long paragraph, dude, I had actually being wondering about that for ages, and now i know. Cheers!

Well, if you actually feel that way about animals, i can see where you're coming from.

So it is ok to kill a feral cat, but not a domesticated one then? Whats the difference? Do you not think that a feral cat has value in of itself, just as a human being does?

Of course, not equal value to a human but that's my subjective valuation. In the case of a feral cat we are once again talking about an animal which may potentially spread disease in an urban area or pose a threat of some other nature. I know squat about the reasons why people have feral cats removed, though I suspect the biggest reason would be that they'd attack domesticated cats. If in fact the feral cat does not pose any kind of threat then to my mind there's no justification for killing it. If it does, then relocation should be the first option. If that is impractical, then the killing should be as quick and painless as possible. Shooting or stabbing don't fit the bill.

I see. So, as punishment for killing this kitten, you say he should be publicly flogged and killed themselves, then drown his kids.

Hypocrite anyone?

I think he is suggesting that it is a symptom of a greater problem. That such a person who is capable of doing this to a defenceless animal lacks moral fibre and that such a person is not desirable.

I'd say that drinkmilkkids is not a hypocrite, but I would say that your post is sh1te.

(I believe it is attack the post not the poster) :D

I see. So, as punishment for killing this kitten, you say he should be publicly flogged and killed himself, then drown his kids. So if you were in control you would flog him, kill him and then put his kids in a bag and drown them. A truly horrific act.

Hypocrite anyone?

Nah, not a hypocrite. An emotive response though, definitely goes too far. Does the poster mean it though? Animal rights activists seem to have that kinda thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭reggiethefirst

Nah, not a hypocrite. An emotive response though, definitely goes too far. Does the poster mean it though? Animal rights activists seem to have that kinda thinking.

Bit emotive alright. Sorry, I just find it so hypocritical when I hear these animal rights activists saying that these people who commit these admittedly horrible acts should be punished in similarly cruel and crueler ways. The same people who campaign against cruelty? Anybody see the irony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

128656564087470516.jpg

Damn the internet and its desensitizing nature....

Bit emotive alright. Sorry, I just find it so hypocritical when I hear these animal rights activists saying that these people who commit these admittedly horrible acts should be punished in similarly cruel and crueler ways. The same people who campaign against cruelty? Anybody see the irony?

Certainly. People frequently confuse justice and revenge. Mix that with equating the life values of humans with other animal species and things get nasty. Thankfully we don't seem to see much of that in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Am I a bad man to think this is hillarious?

I nearly fell over laughing when I read it happend in Limerick, even a pussy ain't safe down there, second thought was, why do I never hear these people complain when it's a person that's stabbed?

Personally I hate cats, they are cruel to other animals, I have no sympathy for the cat, I hope it suffered, those little dirt bags are so cruel to mice, rabbits and birds, they deserve everything they get....

Anyone else think the amount of wild cats is gettin out of control, I really fear the population is gettin out of control and destroying other wildlife, suggest a cull, Like the Canadians do with the seals every year...clubs and all...

Here kitty, kitty....

second thought was, why do I never hear these people complain when it's a person that's stabbed?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

:confused:

Some Animal Rights campaigners were up in arms, You never hear of the Peoples Rights Movement complain about stabbings....

Some Animal Rights campaigners were up in arms, You never hear of the Peoples Rights Movement complain about stabbings....

That;s because some humans, by virtue of their actions, relinquish their right to human empathy and therefore if they are stabbed and bleed to death in a skip who cares? A kitten wil not have done anything to hurt anyone.

Jigsaw wrote: »
    That;s because some humans, by virtue of their actions, relinquish their right to human empathy and therefore if they are stabbed and bleed to death in a skip who cares? A kitten wil not have done anything to hurt anyone.

Very true, hanging Saddam Hussein for crimes against humanity is very different to killing a defenceless young animal for a laugh!

I nearly fell over laughing when I read it happend in Limerick, even a pussy ain't safe down there, second thought was, why do I never hear these people complain when it's a person that's stabbed?

Personally I hate cats, they are cruel to other animals, I have no sympathy for the cat, I hope it suffered, those little dirt bags are so cruel to mice, rabbits and birds, they deserve everything they get....

Anyone else think the amount of wild cats is gettin out of control, I really fear the population is gettin out of control and destroying other wildlife, suggest a cull, Like the Canadians do with the seals every year...clubs and all...

Here kitty, kitty....

I think you are embarking upon a bit of a trolling session. However, in the event you are not, I want you to realise in no uncertain terms that you are a tw@t. Before you posted, I cared less about your life than that of my pet. Following your post I'm afraid you have slipped down the ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if people didnt stab cats we would never know the joys of undead zombie cats. simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, stating that you find a story about a drunk stabbing a kitten and throwing it against a wall funny, lights the fire and fuels the flames at the same time.
    But nobody (apart from a troll who doesn't count) said they thought what happened to the kitten was funny. Some people said they found the hysterical style of writing funny - there's a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think a lot of people would be more outraged at the death of a kitten than two scumbags from the street having a fight and one ending up dead.
    Outrage sells newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dudess wrote: »
    In my opinion, it doesn't warrant such a style of story or to be located in the main national news - a brief in the local paper if there's room for it, and that's about it.

Or page one of the tabbyloids.

Advertisement