Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rossport Hunger strike: It's day one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Stekelly wrote: »
    You are enough to rant about the stuff you supposdly dont care about.

I was referring to my post, which still stands btw. Back inside your cozy house Ste. Angry protesters outside might disrupt your day and god forbid, address one of the many things wrong in this country. I think you'll find people don't protest for "money", hence - they are not professional protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dlofnep wrote: »
    I was referring to my post, which still stands btw. Back inside your cozy house Ste. Angry protesters outside might disrupt your day and god forbid, address one of the many things wrong in this country. I think you'll find people don't protest for "money", hence - they are not professional protesters.

ah the age old 2answer without replying to points raised apparoace.

"Professional protesters" was more a figure of speach refering to what they spend their days doing rather than working.

These people are either very wealthy or living off tax payers in some way if they are not working. The first group can do as they please (within the law) but the 2nd group should not be getting paid by the state (be it through benifits or a state pad job) to be down their spending their days protesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i hope her twat of a son does well in the golf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Stekelly wrote: »
    These people are either very wealthy or living off tax payers in some way if they are not working.

Eh, I think you'll find most people who protest on issues such as these are very working-class, and actually spend their holidays from work to go and protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Wasnt she supposed to be calling in sick to the school. So she could go and protest. I'd like to know exactly how long she was getting a way with that for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Eh, I think you'll find most people who protest on issues such as these are very working-class, and actually spend their holidays from work to go and protest.

i would think the opposite. most working class people could not tell you who the president is let alone protest about a pipeline that is apparently raping Ireland of its natural resources. the type that protest about this are the middle aged women that live in houses on mount merrion avenue with 50 cats and plants everywhere. and a palm tree in the garden

If I remember rightly the majority of the protesters charged at the May day protests where actually the sons of some quite wealthy who Docters based out of Blackrock Clinic and The Mater Private. Who pretty muched begged in courth to be let off so they could sit the end of year exams in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Ah this is Gas...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Can't we all just, get along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

i hope her twat of a son does well in the golf...

You're joking? She's not Padraig's Ma, is she?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Put that in your PIPE and smoke it. I couldn't give a monkeys what any of you think about it either.

It's ok, people are wrong about stuff all the time, today just happens to be your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

fúcking hippys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭Homer

Pffftt.... These big gas companies can fuel some of the people some of the time, but they can't fuel all of the people all of the time I say!

I know whats really going on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sure sure sure, so we won't accept oil/gas/from anywhere as this disrupts the locals.

Right lads, no central heating /lekkie.... turn the lot off, the geezers out in Vladivostok are het up about it???? Sure isn't the Glen O' the Downs in a total mess with that road goin thru it???

Uh you do realise that this gas does not belong to Ireland so we wont see any of it right??
    Shell owns this gas and will sell it to the highest bidder.The goverment are allowing Shell to take €52 billion worth of our gas for pretty much nothing.
    That is why last weeks the Rossport locals offered the navy,who are down there protecting Shell, a Shell flag to fly from their mast and not the Irish one as they are not protecting Irelands natural recources.

Fair play to Maura Harrington, If anyone wishes to show a bit of solidarity with her,there will be a demo at half 5 outside Shell HQ on Leeson street this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Good riddance to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its an outrage that in this day and age when the technology exists to achive a goal with the highest standards, this is the best they can do.

Oh and that woman is the sort that gives hunger striking a bad name.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh and that woman is the sort that gives hunger striking a bad name.

She is a tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It never ceases to amaze me that people want jobs, a good economy and some financial stability, yet heaven forbid they should actually need to do something to have this happen.

Your one is a moron. A publicity stunt and that is it, casting ill shadows on braver people who have done similar in the face of actual adversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iphone newbie

The Gardaí have been completely out of order

Have you been to the site to see the Gardai being out of order? How exactly have they been out of order? I have worked on the site and come face to face with the protesters and the Gardai have been excellent in their protection of the ordinary workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭Homer

panda100 wrote: »
    Uh you do realise that this gas does not belong to Ireland so we wont see any of it right??
    Shell owns this gas and will sell it to the highest bidder.The goverment are allowing Shell to take €52 billion worth of our gas for pretty much nothing.
    That is why last weeks the Rossport locals offered the navy,who are down there protecting Shell, a Shell flag to fly from their mast and not the Irish one as they are not protecting Irelands natural recources.

Fair play to Maura Harrington, If anyone wishes to show a bit of solidarity with her,there will be a demo at half 5 outside Shell HQ on Leeson street this evening.

I'll be waiting with a bar of soap for ya... Hippy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm not overly concerned about the locals in this situation as I find NIMBY's a pain in the hole - i'm more concerned about the overall aspect this project has on the Irish economy. The hunger strike is directed at the wrong people in my opinion - it's not shell's fault that the gas field was given to them for buttons. They'd have been stupid not to take up the offer.

Major destruction of the fisheries and natural habitat around the area will hurt economically long-term. Furthermore, as far as Irish taxpayers and gas consumers are concerned - this gas may as well come from Russia. It will have to be bought at international/Norweigen prices. The government will probably end up doing an NTR on it and having to buy out the gasfield in a few years that Ray Burke who has been found to have been corrupt gave away.

You are all just wasting your time. Might send a few pizzas down form Godfathers for Maura tho

Shell were given the feild legitmetly. Go and protest outside the dail about it. There the ones who handed it over. So let people get on with the jobs.

Homer wrote: »
    I'll be waiting with a bar of soap for ya... Hippy :rolleyes:

The Shell to sea debacle is a fine exapmple of how easily the media manipulates people minds. Not one person can come up with any real reason why they hate the protestors so much except to say there 'middle class',' 'sons of doctors' and they 'need a wash'.

Stop being so blind and open up your eyes. We are giving away billions of Gas for nothing,Gas we will never see,there is no benefit in this project to the Iirsh state or Irish people,The pipeline is being built on unstable bogland yet Shell pipelines are prone to dangerously exploding,Shell are destroying the land of the local people with no regard for wildlife or natural preservation of the area.

Why are you taking the side of a multinational company that rakes in £2 million each hour (!) than the fighting ordinary Irish people and community of Rossport who are protecting their country,their homes and our resources?

take €52 billion worth of our gas for pretty much nothing.

Where did you get this figure from ????

starn wrote: »
    You are all just wasting your time. Might send a few pizzas down form Godfathers for Maura tho

Shell were given the feild legitmetly. Go and protest outside the dail about it. There the ones who handed it over. So let people get on with the jobs.

Shell to sea have been lobbying the goverment for years on this issue. Infact all the Green party ministers too stood side by side with Shell to sea before they sold out on all their principles and went into goverment.
    ryan.jpg

I dont know If you've noticed but the goverment dont really listen that much to what people say,take for example when 100,000 of us marched in protest to the role of Shannon in the Iraq war.

The goverment sold out long ago on this project and so now It is time for direct action by locals and individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

At a company who couldn't give a shìt what you do? They're not there to appease you. They don't need your votes. You're nothing to them, so protesting against them is a waste of time.

Anyway, what should be done is stop the whole thing and use the land for housing for the travellers from Ballina. Everyone's a winner.

Why are you taking the side of a multinational company that rakes in £2 million each hour (!) than the fighting ordinary Irish people and community of Rossport who are protecting their country,their homes and our resources?

Do ou have any idea how exspensive it is just to start looking for a stable oil feild. Before you even looking at tapping it, piping it, processing it and selling it.

Oil companies yes make massive profits. But they also have massive overheads. The greater the risk the higher the return. Otherwise no one would do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I'm from Mayo and have a number of issues with both the protesters and other parties involved.

THE PROTESTERS
    They are essentially nimbys and whatever way they dress it up thats what they are. Your one Harrington is totally ott about everything and was a serial pain in the hole to everyone before the Corrib gas field was discovered. It was the best day ever for her when Shell arrived in town so she could focus her crazy on them.

They have changed what they are protesting against about 4 or 5 times now. First it was environmental issues (mainly about raised bog and the refinery), then it was the price of the land they were getting for allowing the pipeline through, then it was a safety issue and now it's a we-don't-own-the-gas issue.

Really there is a hardcore of nimbys and some outside eco-warrior types who are just totally against this and no rational explanations will change their minds.

SHELL
    They initially came in with an arrogant viewpoint and didn't bother to carefully explain the whole issue to the locals. This legitimately got the backs of some of the locals up.
    Also there original route was incorrectly placed.

Having said this most of these issues were sorted out in the planning process and route has since being changed a number of times to satisfy locals better.

GOVERNMENT
    They ignored the situation for way too long should have stepped in to ease troubles between Shell and locals early on but they took a typical ignore the West view on the issue.

As for the Shell-getting-this-for-nothing brigade. The Government sold exploration rights to Shell (and other companies) for certain areas of the coast. Only Shell found viable gas reserves. Shell have had to pump millions of euro into this to get it to this stage. The government will get a slice (admittedly small and perhaps too small) of the profits.
    If the exploration rights weren't sold to these companies the gas would never had been found as the Government don't have the money or expertise to do it.
    If the somehow managed to find it, they would have had to spend millions getting it to shore and it would end up being sold to the people at the same price (if not higher) than Shell will. So really whether Shell or the Government own it makes shag all difference to you and me.

It isn't "our" gas but it's not like Shell are going to build a pipeline over to Boston and sell it to the Yanks. It's pretty much going to be just sold to Irish consumers. Overall it's a good thing as it will lessen our dependence on imports from places like Russia (I'd rather deal with Shell than Putin any day of the week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Shell pipelines are prone to dangerously exploding
    COLOR="Blue"][U]Citation Needed[/U][/COLOR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

That should have read; "prone to dangerously exploding when sabotaged by terrorists" :rolleyes:

Advertisement