Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rossport Hunger strike: It's day one

Options
  • 10-09-2008 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

It's day one folks and there's a blog here:
    http://www.corribsos.com/
    This evening Shell to Sea campaigner Maura Harrington has begun a Hunger Strike to coincide with the arrival of the Solitaire, pipe-laying vessel in Broadhaven Bay. In a letter that was handed into the Solitaire in Killybegs yesterday, after being previously sent to Allseas Ltd (owner of the Solitaire), Ms Harrington stated that she placed her life in the hands of the Master of the Solitaire, Mr Simon van der Plicht. In her letter, she stated that her hunger strike will end in one of two ways, either that the Solitaire leaves Irish territorial waters or her death.

She was on the 9pm news and yes the S word was used.........starvation!

What say ye, will the hunger strike be over by lunchtime tomorrow or will she go the whole way and give up her life for cause.

Do you admire someone who would die for their cause? Or will you laugh if this hunger strike is over within a few days?
    I reckon two days and it'll be called off after her docter "persuaded" her to, no humiliating comedown in that I suppose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

May she rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

micmclo wrote: »
    I reckon two days and it'll be called off after her docter "persuaded" her to

That sounds about right, or the asylum send an ambulance round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

I say fair play to her and all the rest of them down there. The Irish goverment sold this country out. If this happened in your part of the country you would do the same thing!!!

Up the Rossport people & fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

She's obviously mentally unstable and should be comitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do you admire someone who would die for their cause? Or will you laugh if this hunger strike is over within a few days?

I admire anyone who protests ahead of anyone who bends over backwards, as so many people in this country have done.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

The woman is a nut!

...and from the Mayo forum...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055371711

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I will laugh if when this hunger strike is over within a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I say fair play to her and all the rest of them down there. The Irish goverment sold this country out. If this happened in your part of the country you would do the same thing!!!

Sure sure sure, so we won't accept oil/gas/from anywhere as this disrupts the locals.

Right lads, no central heating /lekkie.... turn the lot off, the geezers out in Vladivostok are het up about it???? Sure isn't the Glen O' the Downs in a total mess with that road goin thru it???

Would ya cop yourself on son and visit the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Someone head down with a few Whoppers and lamp a few around.

Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

Sure sure sure, so we won't accept oil/gas/from anywhere as this disrupts the locals.

Right lads, no central heating /lekkie.... turn the lot off, the geezers out in Vladivostok are het up about it???? Sure isn't the Glen O' the Downs in a total mess with that road goin thru it???

Would ya cop yourself on son and visit the real world.

Fella I am in the real world............. support your own country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭brundle

It happening on my doorstep and everyone is in favour now except a few non national tree huggers, a couple of fishermen looking for compo and about 2 of the original rossport 5. So please learn that mayo is for this and do not believe the crap these protestors are spinning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

She's a nutcase

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There was a guy who was on "hunger-strike" outside the Dail for about half a year.

It was hilarious to watch the numpties on Indymedia try and pretend that he was serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

brundle wrote: »
    It happening on my doorstep and everyone is in favour now except a few non national tree huggers, a couple of fishermen looking for compo and about 2 of the original rossport 5. So please learn that mayo is for this and do not believe the crap these protestors are spinning

Maybe the rest of Mayo should have a protest,in protest of the protestors protesting all the time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eddiehead wrote: »
    Maybe the rest of Mayo should have a protest,in protest of the protestors protesting all the time.
    Nah, the shell protesters will just protest that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This is the school principal who spends half the year protesting when she should be running a school right? The one who drove her car at the gardai?
    Nutcase tbh. Should be sacked and let starve if she's mad enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

They could be forcing a pipeline into her soon enough.....

Ironic????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I really cant stand this bint. Hearted her on The Last Word earlier today she cant seem to be able to decide what she's actually protesting about. Theres no way in hell any of her outrages demands will be met. I think she just a attention grabbing busey body with nothing better to do. Oh think of the Childen. I wish she'd get back and start doing her job. Who she can run a school and spend all her time out protesting I dont know.

Maybe I should go on hunger strike until she rings the editor of the irish times to confirm she is out of Irish territorial waters.

I give two days at most, three if she's been sneaking Werters originals

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She'll have a lot of time on her hands from Monday as she is retiring. I am all for protest but this type of dramatic blind zeal does no-one any favours but gets a few headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

lol, those rossport protesters are a bunch of morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

dunno if they can stop progress, usual malarkey, any where but my backyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

We have given away this gas field to shell for nothing for the sake of a miserable few jobs during construction. We will then buy it back at a premium price at a time when energy is a huge issue. Other countries like Finland have had the same choice but took the sensible option and built and operated their own refinerys, keeping the massive revenue for investment in their country. Our crap government as usual takes the option that gives short time gain. This is the furthest thing from progress imaginable. When people make a stand they are called morons etc by the same gob****es who complain about the lack of money for the likes of the health service and schools. Fair play to the protesters who can see the bigger picture. At a time when we have nearly no native industy left we throw away another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Did the government really give away a huge chunk of natural resouces for nothing? I've heard it quite a few times, but always from the protestors who I am hesitant to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RuggieBear wrote: »
    May she rest in peace.

With a Corrib Gas pipeline running over her:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

sparksfly wrote: »
    We have given away this gas field to shell for nothing for the sake of a miserable few jobs during construction. We will then buy it back at a premium price at a time when energy is a huge issue. Other countries like Finland have had the same choice but took the sensible option and built and operated their own refinerys, keeping the massive revenue for investment in their country. Our crap government as usual takes the option that gives short time gain. This is the furthest thing from progress imaginable. When people make a stand they are called morons etc by the same gob****es who complain about the lack of money for the likes of the health service and schools. Fair play to the protesters who can see the bigger picture. At a time when we have nearly no native industy left we throw away another one.

Those protesters are not there for the big picture. They are a bunch of amateur nutjobs.

Their website looks like it was designed by a 5-year-old. If they want to be taken seriously, they need to act seriously. But they're too busy with their "**** the law" and "**** big corporations" attitude, forgetting to shower and pulling stunts like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Are you a geologist, or a engineer

Do you realise just how exspensive it is just to begin exploring for mineral reserves with no garuente of a retuen. If its the case that the protesters are worried about a loss of income to the state. Why arnt they pressure the goverment in to action over Rockall. The retuen from Rockall mineral, oil and gas rights is garentued to be a awful lot greater then anything from Corrib. There just just busey bodies, imported trutifanians or locals who were originally looking for a pay out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

last time i checked we weren't communists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I say fair play to her for standing up for her convictions. The Gardaí have been completely out of order, and the Government sold out. It's very easy for you all to judge her from the comfort of your couches. She's got more balls than the lot of you put together. It's very easy to be passive, but takes alot of courage to stand up for what you believe in.

And who gives a rats what their website looks like. Complete ad hominem. Are they web developers, or normal people who are protesting against natural minerals being sold off to the highest bidder and environmental concerns?

Put that in your PIPE and smoke it. I couldn't give a monkeys what any of you think about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is the furthest thing from progress imaginable. When people make a stand they are called morons etc by the same gob****es who complain about the lack of money for the likes of the health service and schools. .

So we should celebrate a principal spending hertime outside of school protesting while (I assume) getting paid by the state?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dlofnep wrote: »
    I say fair play to her for standing up for her convictions. The Gardaí have been completely out of order, and the Government sold out. It's very easy for you all to judge her from the comfort of your couches. She's got more balls than the lot of you put together. It's very easy to be passive, but takes alot of courage to stand up for what you believe in.

And who gives a rats what their website looks like. Complete ad hominem. Are the web developers, or normal people who are protesting against natural minerals being sold off to the highest bidder and environmental concerns?

My hole.

The gob****es protesting down there are the same ones protesting at various other sites and functions around the country, Are we to believe that everythign the government does happens to be against one of their principles? they are professional protesters(apart from the ones that manage to get paid by the state while out protesting, they are double jobbing)).
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Put that in your PIPE and smoke it. I couldn't give a monkeys what any of you think about it either.

You are enough to rant about the stuff you supposdly dont care about.

Advertisement