Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rossport Hunger strike: It's day one

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

Oh, absolutely, thats true.

I'm just adding some extra points that are also discussed within these circles, making further points about the points about handing over national resources to private companies, as I can't help but feel and notice Shell to Sea don't want Shell anywhere near this gas, not just a case of building it offshore.

I can't help but feel Shell to Sea will latch on to anything in order to protest against development.

But the "About Us" section of the Shell to Sea website clearly says they want to ensure the terminal and pipeline are constructed offshore.

But then again, you can't believe anything written on that site. Any Shell to Sea supporters care to tell me about building the refinery on unstable bog and these previously untried methods to stabilise the bog surface?!

http://www.corribsos.com/index.php?id=2&type=page

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Jip wrote: »
    Care to answer my question I had put to people such as yourself ?
    What exactly is your question, something to do with "Our Gas" anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Fairly straighforward really and I'm sure you read it as it appeared between several of your posts.
    Jip wrote: »
    I posted something along the lines of this before when the whole farce originally started. For all those claming that this is 'our gas' and the Irish government has given it away, would you have a problem if Shell never actually found any gas ? Or how about this, if the government wasted milllions exploring for oil themselves literally throwing money into the sea before they actually found anything ?

Why don't you have a problem with Tara Mines for example ? After all they're all plundering out natural resources in the same way. Or is it just that it's too convenient for you all to pick on the big bad Shell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

panda100 wrote: »

Well I dont know about you but I would not plead guilty to something If I wasnt guilty off it. Do you think that Maura should have just lied and said she was guily to avoid a jail sentence? Do you think thats 'justice' which ever side of the fence you sit on?

Hitting a Gard seemed to be an open and shut case. Proved by the fact that she was convicted. Or is the court only right if it goes the way you want it to?

Honest people also dont claim to be out on the sick , colecting their wages, while being perfectly ok to protest(and assault the Gardai).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Her husband is on the radio, Harrington describes herself as a "political prisoner" at the behest of Shell.

www.todayfm.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Her husband is on the radio, Harrington describes herself as a "political prisoner" at the behest of Shell.

www.todayfm.ie

I assume the IRA will be rowing in behind her with support.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Stekelly wrote: »
    Hitting a Gard seemed to be an open and shut case. Proved by the fact that she was convicted. Or is the court only right if it goes the way you want it to?

There is absolutely no evidence, except from the gardai himself, that Maura laid a hand on him. How is this an open and shut case? Why should we take his word over hers?

As i said previously there is a few number of inconsistencys in this case as I laid down in my previous post, but I will rewrite them hear for clarity as everyone has ignored them:

Firstly,I dont think the wife of a Fianna Fail TD who vocally supports Shell should have been in charge of Maura's case .Mary Devins was personally too close to the case and I would quetion her pre prejudice's on Maura. There should have been a judge sitting who was 100% impartial to the situation. Judge Devins has always sided with the gardai in relation to matters with Shell.

Also this quote from the Irish Times had me puzzled :
    Judge Devins told Ms Harrington she was less inclined to believe in her passion for her cause having "witnessed the enjoyment she seems to get in being in the public limelight".

That is the judge own personal musings and has nothing to do with the case at hand.

Also, witnesses that were there on the day have video footage that show clearly that Maura did not touch the gardai.This was not allowed to be shown in court. I presume because it was taken by a Shell to Sea supporter. However, you can easily prove if something has been tampered with or not. Surely this should have been allowed to be shown in court?

This isnt the first time people of the Rossport community have been imprisoned for airing their views and using their right to engage in active protest, Im sure it wont be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of which hunger striking came up and he said he wouldn't stop her, wouldn't interfere with her integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

There is absolutely no evidence, except from the gardai himself, that Maura laid a hand on him. How is this an open and shut case? Why should we take his word over hers?

Why do you take her word over the Gardai?
    Firstly,I dont think the wife of a Fianna Fail TD who vocally supports Shell should have been in charge of Maura's case .Mary Devins was personally too close to the case and I would quetion her pre prejudice's on Maura. There should have been a judge sitting who was 100% impartial to the situation. Judge Devins has always sided with the gardai in relation to matters with Shell.

Got a source to this vocal support of Shell?
    Also, witnesses that were there on the day have video footage that show clearly that Maura did not touch the gardai.This was not allowed to be shown in court. I presume because it was taken by a Shell to Sea supporter. However, you can easily prove if something has been tampered with or not. Surely this should have been allowed to be shown in court?

In fairness, videos from Shell to Sea supporters can't be trusted. Remember that video of the Garda breaking the window of the car with poor Maura in it?! The part with the pushing of the car into the gardai was left out!

This isnt the first time people of the Rossport community have been imprisoned for airing their views and using their right to engage in active protest, Im sure it wont be the last.

Nobody has been imprisoned for just airing their views in this case.

Advertisement