Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ooooh, would they be extra ads I see? ;o)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Boston wrote: »
    I didn't say it was definitive. Your style is not new, I've seen similar on other forums, it is harder to follow.
    Anything that puts the content closer to the top and left of the forum makes it easier, because thats how we read, which is important to understand before making any definitive statements which might be based on say, inertia. Your opinion, while respected, goes against the evidence here.
    Its all about priorities and where the focus is placed. There needs to be a balance of course between financial realities and the community needs.
    Neither you nor anyone else has any right to tell boards how much money they should be earning. Maybe thats not what you are trying to say, but the fact is that returns could be much larger, in my opinion, while improving the user experience.
    If you can't the inherent problems with trying to run a community resource like a business, then you're not trying hard enough.
    Your comment boils down to "other people should be delighted to give up their time and money so I can have a place to blowhard on teh intarwebs".
    Erm, your are a nazi and/or Hitler. I mean if where going to get hysterical... :rolleyes:
    Ah cmon, you've never run into the sheltered youth stereotype, usually some backwards social gnome hiding behind the basement curtains or some mamaluke who's never set foot outside of academia, and believes that communism works?

eoin_s wrote: »
    We provide the content here.
    And without boards, you and your valuable content would be whistling into the wilderness via a blog or some microforum or what have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

And without boards, you and your valuable content would be whistling into the wilderness via a blog or some microforum or what have you.

My point is that this is different to the (excellent) sites like AARRRGH produces, where he is providing specific information that people are looking for. Edit - the new layout is a lot more user-friendly by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Vexorg wrote: »
    Looks like its move to China or Right click - open in new window/tab.

The default setting on ads we serve direct from our adserving software is to open in a new window.

I find it's easiest to middle-click with the mouse, which opens the link in a new tab in Firefox.

My point is that this is different to the (excellent) sites like AARRRGH produces, where he is providing specific information that people are looking for. Edit - the new layout is a lot more user-friendly by the way.
    Its a complex picture alright - the content would be valueless without boards, and boards would be valueless without the content. Its a mutually beneficial relationship, which good, low key contextual advertising would not disturb.

• Advertisement

Its a complex picture alright - the content would be valueless without boards, and boards would be valueless without the content. Its a mutually beneficial relationship, which good, low key contextual advertising would not disturb.

I completely agree - I just wanted to make the distinction between a user-generated content site, and something like a news site.

The current advert placing is much better as I said, I think the big gap between the last post and the quick reply box was not user-friendly at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm done with the style debate.

Eoin_s is right, we provide the content, each of us contributes to this site and helped to make boards.ie what it is today. We are not consumers, there is co dependent relationship here. Its important not to loose sight of that fact.

I absolutely think its right to question taking money from outside sources, I think as a contributor I've should be allowed to voice an opinion without being compared to a communist. My comments don't boil down to "everyone should work for free" or anything of the sort. You should try addressing my actual points instead of attempting to make me look like a crack pot.

Balance is the key, boards.ie should be run like a commercial enterprise with us as consumers and it also can't be run on a completely non-profit bases. You loose balance in either direction and the whole think will fall apart.

The current advert placing is much better as I said, I think the big gap between the last post and the quick reply box was not user-friendly at all.
    The placing might be better but the adverts themselves are worthless. I mean look at this crud:

Best Man Speech Database
    Sample best man speeches, find great lines to describe your groom.
    www.thebestmanspeech.com

Treat Cerebral Palsy
    Treat Cerebral Palsy fast with this simple herbal formula.
    palsotab.com

Wedding Speech Jokes
    Thinking of buying? Compare 100s of retailers' prices at Shopping.com
    uk.shopping.com

How is that meant to garner any clicks or provide any value to boards? Its just meaningless rubbish. No, I think boards should take the bull by the horns and as I said, own that territory.

Eoin_s is right, we provide the content, each of us contributes to this site and helped to make boards.ie what it is today. We are not consumers, there is co dependent relationship here. Its important not to loose sight of that fact.

Well, I think we are still availing of an excellent service, so to some degree we are consumers of the site - but I just think that the adverts should not get in the way of contributing content to the site (even if 99% of my content is crap!).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nice MPU spot

If boards makes gets enough income to cover the mammoth effort on time/server/bandwidth etc - then that's cool with me.

• Advertisement

I think its depends on the user, some people never contribute anything to the site. They use it as purely an information resource and never or seldom add content themselves. Other contribute far more to the site then they derive from it. For instance, most forum here simply wouldn't work without the expertise and experience of the regular users. That's how boards works, most people take more then their fair share, but a minority give way more. Consumer implies a one way relationship, a user that posts nothing but clicks a few adds really contributes sweet fa to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

While Boards maybe the biggest there are some other decent Irish sites and they don't have people sucking up to them either.

I prefer where the ads are today rather than yesterdays location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Consumer implies a one way relationship, a user that posts nothing but clicks a few adds really contributes sweet fa to the site.

But they do contribute by clicking on those ads. If no one was clicking the ads on the site, no one would be buying ads on the site, and then there'd be no income to keep the servers etc in operation.

Eoin_s is right, we provide the content, each of us contributes to this site and helped to make boards.ie what it is today.
    And without boards, as I said, you would be talking to yourself on blogs.ie or somewhere.
    I absolutely think its right to question taking money from outside sources,
    No, its not. It might make sense to question the influence outside sources might want in exchange for their money, but thats something that sitewide polls would decide better than the opinion of one man.
    I think as a contributor I've should be allowed to voice an opinion without being compared to a communist. My comments don't boil down to "everyone should work for free" or anything of the sort. You should try addressing my actual points instead of attempting to make me look like a crack pot.
    I didn't call you a communist. Why, do you live in academia?
    Balance is the key, boards.ie should be run like a commercial enterprise with us as consumers and it also can't be run on a completely non-profit bases.
    I'm not quite sure what you are saying here, but if I get the gist right, its no good waving the finger every time someone tries to capitalise on a good idea. Maybe that works if taxes are paying ones wages, but for the rest of us, growth and expansion are good.
    While Boards maybe the biggest there are some other decent Irish sites and they don't have people sucking up to them either.
    Offering free advice to a place that you enjoy being in order to help it grow is "sucking up" now, is it? I detect a green tint to the eyes there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ads help pay for this site.

most users are here free of charge

why bite the claw that feeds u?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

So does the site get money ever time one of those google ads is clicked, if thats the case why not organise a "Lets all click on a few ads" day, just for a laugh like, see what google makes of a sudden 10,000% increase in hits

snyper wrote: »
    Ads help pay for this site.

most users are here free of charge

why bite the claw that feeds u?

I might be wrong, but I think a lot of people are having a problem with where the advert placement was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

People actually click on the ads :confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

MooseJam wrote: »
    So does the site get money ever time one of those google ads is clicked, if thats the case why not organise a "Lets all click on a few ads" day, just for a laugh like, see what google makes of a sudden 10,000% increase in hits
    Really, really not a good idea.

Ronny Mitchell; Really depends on your prospective.
    No, its not. It might make sense to question the influence outside sources might want in exchange for their money, but thats something that sitewide polls would decide better than the opinion of one man.

I didn't say I should decide, I said I should be allowed voice an opinion. Stop with the twisting already. You're either deliberately missing my point or you're not capable of understanding it, either way your constant insinuations about my political views and employment, mean I'm not longer willing to discuss this with you. I've made my point to the admins.

Btw, I'm currently writing a software patent for a major international engineering company, and getting a shed load of money for my time, comrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Anyone using Firefox surely has Adblock Plus? It's a wonderful little extension, I'm sure it's been mentioned.

Sandor wrote: »
    Anyone using Firefox surely has Adblock Plus? It's a wonderful little extension, I'm sure it's been mentioned.
    Even if you use it on boards (which I think I remember an admin saying he was not keen on at all), it probably won't collapse the area where the advert was, so you will still be left with lots of blank space.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah im left with blank space.

Image1-5.jpg

I didn't say I should decide, I said I should be allowed voice an opinion. Stop with the twisting already. You're either deliberately missing my point or you're not capable of understanding it, either way your constant insinuations about my political views and employment, mean I'm not longer willing to discuss this with you. I've made my point to the admins.
    Honestly, I didn't pigeonhole you to any particular station in life, and its not my problem if you choose to take stereotypes personally.
    Btw, I'm currently writing a software patent for a major international engineering company, and getting a shed load of money for my time, comrade.
    Legend, time well spent, that will be especially useful in Ireland and the EU, where software patents don't exist. I should know, as a card carrying member of the FFII. Still, at least it makes it unlikely that I employ you in whatever capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I find the new ads irritating, having to scroll up and down to use the quick comment box.

They're completely out of place where they are and make the page look non symetrical.

I want my 50euro back :)

Seriously, I think they stink where they are.

news flash, they moved them

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

news flash, they moved them
    News Flash: We're aware. See my last post.

what do you think about my idea for a "lets all click on a few google ads" day, any chance of implementing this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Honestly, I didn't pigeonhole you to any particular station in life, and its not my problem if you choose to take stereotypes personally.

Legend, time well spent, that will be especially useful in Ireland and the EU, where software patents don't exist. I should know, as a card carrying member of the FFII. Still, at least it makes it unlikely that I employ you in whatever capacity.

Even I felt that burn from here.

pld :D

• Advertisement

what do you think about my idea for a "lets all click on a few google ads" day, any chance of implementing this ?
    That's not a good idea. Deliberately clicking on adverts, or encouraging site users to do so, will probably end in the adsense account being shut down.

Advertisement