Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ooooh, would they be extra ads I see? ;o)

Options
  • 10-09-2008 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

At the bottom there seems to be a lot more Google Ads lately. Daft.ie are looking for a few shillings from their investment it would seem :pac:
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There a while, they were just lower and to the right. They were moved probably to get more people to see them. Personally doesnt bother me in the slighest!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sully wrote: »
    Personally doesnt bother me in the slighest!

Ditto. They're quite unintrusive (is that a word? spell check says no.) so meh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think it was empty space anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Ditto. They're quite unintrusive (is that a word? spell check says no.) so meh.

unobtrusive i think is the one you were after, english has some quirks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Jackz wrote: »
    unobtrusive i think is the one you were after, english has some quirks.
    Probably is. I was thinking inobtrusive but that just sounded stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

i would much prefer the ads dialog box than the similar threads dialog box tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

that explains that new empty space below the threadlist then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ah, just realised that subscribers don't see ads (if they don't want to of course).

On the top/bottom is fine. It's when they start appearing mid-thread that annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And ?

Boards now has two people 'working' for the site and has wages to pay and they need to make sure that they can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Two? CuLt and ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Vexorg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ah, thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Plus, coke and hookers don't come cheap these days. Recession and all.

Plus, coke and hookers don't come cheap these days. Recession and all.

You should start a consumer issues thread on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Surely the prices for hookers will do down...

Thaedydal wrote: »

Oddly, they are trying to raise their prices as prices have gone up for them, due to the rescission, somehow.

Its about time Tesco did hookers. Tesco branded.

They're like oil prices, their prices continue to rise even in times of recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Oddly, they are trying to raise their prices as prices have gone up for them, due to the rescission, somehow.

It's simple supply and demand. The recession has people down in the dumps and what better way to cheer oneself up than an evening's entertainment with one of our dear ladies of the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Its about time Tesco did hookers. Tesco branded.

just for you:

emot-nws.gif
    http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/995/tescohookerrz3.jpg
    http://g.imageshack.us/img144/tescohookerrz3.jpg/1/]w650.png
    emot-nws.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Xiney wrote: »

Think I'll be heading to Marks & Spencers for the middle ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

They're a little bit annoying. I have to scroll an extra few inches to see the message box.

Any chance of making them horizontal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

If you click the quick reply button you are brought to the box - no need to scroll at all.

V.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was gonna suggest horizontal as well, either that or under the who's viewing option, which I regularly take a look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

And ?

Boards now has two people 'working' for the site and has wages to pay and they need to make sure that they can do that.
    Plugging a few google ads into the least accessable corner of the site is not going to make any sort of a difference.

Two column layout lads, its the only way! :D Nothing to be ashamed of, most sites and forums use that layout type. It might even be made very useful with new features!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are the similar threads gone for good then? I was wondering about the half-acre of free space myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I find them annoying.

Here are a couple of quick sketches of something I think would work well, apologies for the size!

boardssketchzc0.gif

boardssketch2jk8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

That's terrible, I couldn't use a site that had adds up an down the sides.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't see any ads but I do see the blank extra space, maybe they are off as default for subs or something.
    Not a fan of those sites that have the ads on the side with your user information moved too, up to boards of course.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    That's terrible, I couldn't use a site that had adds up an down the sides.
    Meh, you've got the very same typing and reading space, plus access to interesting new stuff. If graphical ads bother, just specify homebrewed google style adverts and write your own terms to people that want to buy them, none of this 3% of 5 cent malarky.

Not mention it actually makes boards a more pleasant experience, since we naturally read top to bottom and left to right, so making the content closer to either edge is a good thing, and you could move top menu options to the right.

Just an opinion! :D

Advertisement