Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Degree??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tommyalix

maelaw wrote: »
    I got an email to go to the recruitment day in newbridge on the 8th of July. I still don't know whether to go or not. I don't know if I want to do another 3 years in college. I have worked for Lidl too and it is hard work they expect a lot from you. You definitely earn your wages!!

I am going to the recruitment day and an interview too at dublin business school on the 11th July and I am aware you had some experience with them ,

would you give me some adivce ! what is the test like and what is the I am really so worry as I need to get throw to this course , any advice please !

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ldil

Whats it like? please help

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭galteeboy

Just wondering how did those who went to the recruitment day on the 11th get on, any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 magnetman88

Hey Guys,

My girlfriends is going for the assessment day this week. Any information or tips for the group activities or interview help?? Is it formal attire as I heard last year some candidates wore smart casual??

Any info would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

Well having worked for Lidl for 5 years let me tell you that you will earn every cent of it.

do female staff have to work hard, such as lifting heavy boxes etc etc inquiring for a friend, she is single but small about 5'1 and wants to know if it is too demanding for her , thinks she wants to do this degree thing as well. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

do female staff have to work hard, such as lifting heavy boxes etc etc inquiring for a friend, she is single but small about 5'1 and wants to know if it is too demanding for her , thinks she wants to do this degree thing as well. cheers

Not normally but they would have to be able to move bulk pallets such as the bottled water and do a few pallets of fruit and veg occasionally. It depends from store to store. The more you can do the more chance you have of progressing.

Not normally but they would have to be able to move bulk pallets such as the bottled water and do a few pallets of fruit and veg occasionally. It depends from store to store. The more you can do the more chance you have of progressing.

would you advise her to go for it, she is a very small lass, & because of this putting herself down. i think she assumed at first it was only till work and putting labels on shelves etc. I do think if it was a fairly physical job she would struggle big time but i must give her support so haven't said this to her.

would you advise her to go for it, she is a very small lass, & because of this putting herself down. i think she assumed at first it was only till work and putting labels on shelves etc. I do think if it was a fairly physical job she would struggle big time but i must give her support so haven't said this to her.

I take it she's applying for store assistant? They might take someone on on a 10 hour contract just to cover tills it depends on the store really.

I take it she's applying for store assistant? They might take someone on on a 10 hour contract just to cover tills it depends on the store really.
    i think she was hoping more like in tesco/super valu here you get a 40 hr week on the tills only plenty of staff to do the other work in the store, in lidl it appears to me as a customer that one day you are on the tills, next horsing bottles of water, heavy items on special flat packs etc onto shelves, back breaking work it appears, mostly women in my lidl some men in stores i suppose, but my girl would struggle honestly with that
    maybe best suited to another job

i think she was hoping more like in tesco/super valu here you get a 40 hr week on the tills only plenty of staff to do the other work in the store, in lidl it appears to me as a customer that one day you are on the tills, next horsing bottles of water, heavy items on special flat packs etc onto shelves, back breaking work it appears, mostly women in my lidl some men in stores i suppose, but my girl would struggle honestly with that
    maybe best suited to another job

Usually the men work mornings to pack out the delivery. I know one girl who could pack out fruit and veg every morning but not many can. If she would be struggling with physical work then it would be better to take a pay drop and go for tesco or similar where you would only do tills have guaranteed hours and set working times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 iano91

Hey guys, I had an interview for the retail management prog last week. I am just wondering does anyone know they will contact people to tell them if they are successful or not or if anyone has had any calls yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maritaa

I was at the interview last week as well... No answer yet... Join the previous question. Does anybody know if they are going to call or send any e-mails with acceptance or refusals? Or if you get no call or no e-mail that means you aren't accepted?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SailorJenny

Did they tell you at the interview last week when You would hear?

They told they woul call next week (means this current week). But it's Friday and no call so far:( May be they just ignore those who weren't taken...

No one still heard anything either way? Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

From past experience the decision can be delayed by a number of weeks, even though they said a decision will be made in a week. Just hold on in there. AFAIK you are contacted by email with the decision. A phone call follows for the successful candidates.

I got accepted on the course!
    Could anyone explain what these sentences mean: "A phone reference check which will also be conducted. Please nominate a referee and forward the details" Who can I nominate as a referee? And what is a reference check? Will I get a phone call?
    Thanks

When did you get email? Did they give you other info like about what store you got etc? So nervous waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Could anyone explain what these sentences mean:
    "A phone reference check which will also be conducted.
    They will ring you appointed person for a reference

Please nominate a referee and forward the details"
    Previous employer /supervisor or business acquaintance, principal teacher or lecturer or such
    Who can I nominate as a referee? Anyone as long as they are not related to you.
    And what is a reference check? What type of person are you ,do you have a good reputation, etc etc
    Will I get a phone call? Probably
    Thanksyour Welcome

stock>, thanks a million! You made it clear. It's something realy new for me, although it must sound strange)))
    SailorJenny, I got email today. And yes, they gave me the info about the store (thanks God it's very near me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ciajewia

Has anyone heard anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

ciajewia wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything yet?

This seem to be the most asked question on this thread. It appears once accepted on the course the employee/students are sucked into a black hole away from all forms of media because to the best of my knowledge no one has ever posted anything about the course or that they completed it either successfully or otherwise...............

Does anyone know what's next?
    I sent my referee's details and my cert and diploma copies. Now I'm waiting but don't know for what exactly. They said in their first letter that the programm starts at the end of Sept.
    Are they gonna contact me and ask to sign any contract or what?

Maritaa wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's next?
    I sent my referee's details and my cert and diploma copies. Now I'm waiting but don't know for what exactly. They said in their first letter that the programm starts at the end of Sept.
    Are they gonna contact me and ask to sign any contract or what?

Your contract will come in the post so you have a few days to read it. You bring it with you to the induction day usually a day before you start. Will you be doing a work block or a college block first?

Thanks.
    As I know a college block goes first...
    In their letter they just asked to send some missing documents and pointed the date by which I should confirm my acceptance and the date when the course start. That was all. That's why I was wondering what will be next...
    I'm worried as I didn't get if they got my documents or not... So I don't know what to wait...:)
    Are you doing this programm?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lucky escape

People who are reading this are here to find out what Lidl is like on their recruitment day and also what they are like to work for. Like all of you I have done all my research on the company. So this is a good insight to all you thinking about going to work for them. I applied for the degree program and got an offer to go to their recruitment day. I arrived in DBS where there were some people there for the degree and some Lidl staff members who were on their last year of the program, they were also 2 HR Managers and 9 Managers present on the day, some of the Manager’s were operation Managers who were there to access us during the day in group activities. The whole day is a big presentation where David (HR Manager) was selling the company to us to make us want to work for them. Here are some of the things that was said to us, > all their stores are the same size and have 12 staff members working< (BIG JOKE) like what everyone else says all stores only have 3 staff on at any one time, I have travelled to a lot of Lidl stores just to see for myself and I know this is true. Also Lidl promotes and sponsors a lot of things and we were told in a nice way that we would have to travel for over 14 hours ON A BUS to different locations to help out. Another thing was that all Managers do as much as staff, in a nice way I know what it’s like to be a Manager in Lidl and I’ve seen this, you are only a staff member with Lidl there is so many Managers within the company you are noting only staff to them, and will never become your own Manager. I’d like to think I would be a good Manager one day and that will entail making changes within a company to build it up and make it a better company, with Lidl you’ll never get to do that unless you become the CEO of the company. (what’s the chances of that happen to you very slim to none) it’s all about targets with them if you can’t work with 2 or 3 staff members to get all the work done your no good as a Manager in their eyes. Even the Managers with the big AUDI A4 are treated like dirt. As I said there were 9 Managers there on the day, none of them look a happy, they looked worn out, miserable and didn’t look like Managers. At one point in the day I overheard the Managers talking about how there store was getting on and I quote “I have to work seven days a week” one Manager said. Is that the sort of Manager any of us want to be. A big NO NO. Also During one of the breaks I got chatting one of the staff members, he told me that he started one morning at 04.00 finished 20.00 that evening I quote “completely illegal but we have to do it” if you refuse you have no hope of getting anywhere with the company. He was a nice lad he was only 21 and looked in his very late 20s. From the stress of the job id say. He said he was never located to where he lived and always had to travel to the other end of the country to work. You do have to go the extra mile with them and they won’t hold any mercy towards you, he made that very clear to me.
    I had to see for myself what Lidl is all about, I seen there opportunity with the degree program and then I seen how bad they are as a organisation to how they operate, so I applied as a mature applicant having years experience in retail, I’m used to hard work and will work hard to achieve my goals, but Lidl takes the p_ss when it comes to what they asked of you, every time you say no to them, that all goes against you, there is no room for error at any stage during the degree, even when you’re in college they will kick you out for missing days. I’m from the midlands with a partner and a child and wanted to help build a future for my family, I didn’t think they could be as bad as everyone said there were, and just thought that people who were writing all the things, were the type of people who are lazy and wanted everything handed to them. But as I now know that’s not the case, they are as bad as what people say. On the recruitment day I was held for an interview. After waiting around for my interview I gathered my thoughts, and reflected on the day, I had seen it for my own two eyes what Lidl is all about, all the stuff on the net tells a true story and it’s a sad story to all whom works for them, so with that in mind I spoke with one of the Managers and kindly informed him that I was no longer interested in the position, and left that building thinking I just had a lucky escape.

Overall what I will say to people thinking about doing the degree program, apply for it and go to their recruitment day, I took a lot of positive from the day, and there was a lot of group activity which involved a lot of interpersonal skills. It helped my confidents as I did make some mistakes and I have learned from that. I am out of work for a couple of years and I learned a lot on the day. So my advices apply and see for yourself. It is not a waste of time going up there you’ll enjoy the day. And you’ll get a lovely dinner for free. Complements to the CHEF on the day
    One last thing David Duff the HR Manager is a top bloke, he one of the best HR Managers I have ever met. He was doing the presenation on the day and done a very good job with it. If he was the CEO of the company I would work for them in the morning, but sadly he is not, Lidl don’t deserve him, he was the only person on the day that looked happy and I can’t understand why. If you read this David you’re going to the top one day (CEO Position) just get away from Lidl, and hopefully I will meet you again within a GOOD organisation that respects people who work for them.

I only went to see how they operate and I personally can now say I do pity all who does work for them. I wish all there employee’s the very best of luck working for them, you’re a lot braver than I will ever be and you will walk into any retail job after seeing how hard you do all work, but for now my heart goes out to you all. KEEP THE FAITH

Sorry for the long story I could keep going but I think I have covered it for now.
    I will post all the things that happened with the test and group activities later.

Advertisement