Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Degree??

Options
  • 08-09-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Has anyone thoughts on the Lidl Degree??? Is it worth doing? Anyone already doing it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

MissMo wrote: »
    Has anyone thoughts on the Lidl Degree??? Is it worth doing? Anyone already doing it?
    Ah here yah have to be kidding me?

A degree from Lidl?
    What has the world come to

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I presume this is the Bachelor of Business in Retail Management that Lidl are running with DBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MissMo

Thats the one, know anyone doin it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a HETAC accredited award. I hold a Graduate Diploma in Business Science from DBS- which took 2 very difficult years of evening study to procure. If I were interviewing someone (and I have interviewed quite a few), the fact that the degree is awarded by a retailor via DBS would not cloud my judgement of it. If its HETAC accredited it has to meet stringent teaching standards and cover minimum core material.

Personally it wouldn´t be my degree of choice to do- but I´d say seriously fair play to anyone who successfully completed it. Working fulltime and studying at the same time takes a hell of a lot of discipline and is not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

JohnG18 wrote: »
    Ah here yah have to be kidding me?

A degree from Lidl?
    What has the world come to

Its a degree from DBS not Lidl! Lidl sponsor you while you do the degree. Similar to the way an apprentice trains and goes through 3rd level getting paid by their employer.

Fair play to people doing this degree, anyone who betters them selves get the thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I'd say this degree could become even more attractive to people if the government were to bring back in fees too!

joey54 wrote: »
    I'd say this degree could become even more attractive to people if the government were to bring back in fees too!

Possibly.
    Its far from unique to Lidl though- most companies will pay all the fees, or a contribution towards them, for any staff members who elect to do 3rd level courses (the level of reimbursement is normally related to whether the course is relevant to the job or not). Its an excellent way of incentivising staff and is wholly tax deductable from the company's perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Funkyspunkball

MissMo wrote: »

Yep im on the course since 2007 and its brilliant and I aint bein forced to say that :rolleyes:
    Im assured a job when I graduate but not under contract to stay with Lidl a day after!!! How sweet is that!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

looking at the graduate jobs lidl are offering it wouldnt be a bad idea at all.

50k and an audi A4...going up to 80K after 3 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Yep 50k Audi A4......going up to 80k sounds great don't it?

Well having worked for Lidl for 5 years let me tell you that you will earn every cent of it.

The graduate programme itself is a good course but....

Working for Lidl in any sort of senior position is only for someone who is single, and defo don't think about kids while working for them, I struggled through the first kid but had to leave after the second as it was impossible to have any sort of home life with them, and I had a very senior position with them.

But if you are single, and don't mind hard work (and I don't mean the kind of hard work people say "are you afraid of hard work?") which will entail of an 18 hour day nearly every day, working weekends and bank holidays, where that 50k when you work out the hours you are doing, will equate to minimum wage per hour, then I say go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Yep 50k Audi A4......going up to 80k sounds great don't it?

Well having worked for Lidl for 5 years let me tell you that you will earn every cent of it.

The graduate programme itself is a good course but....

Working for Lidl in any sort of senior position is only for someone who is single, and defo don't think about kids while working for them, I struggled through the first kid but had to leave after the second as it was impossible to have any sort of home life with them, and I had a very senior position with them.

But if you are single, and don't mind hard work (and I don't mean the kind of hard work people say "are you afraid of hard work?") which will entail of an 18 hour day nearly every day, working weekends and bank holidays, where that 50k when you work out the hours you are doing, will equate to minimum wage per hour, then I say go for it.

That's absolutely unfair, it means that the company is preventing people who want to have a family from having one!

Anyway, sorry to be on a rant, but I wouldn't be too mad about the lidl degree, because even in the short run, it's going to get brutally competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That's absolutely unfair, it means that the company is preventing people who want to have a family from having one!

Anyway, sorry to be on a rant, but I wouldn't be too mad about the lidl degree, because even in the short run, it's going to get brutally competitive.

Unfair that they make you work for you money? :)

Welcome to Life.

Anyway, the degree itself seems like a great idea - a well recognised qualification, plus working in a company that is growing despite the recession.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Unfair that they make you work for you money? :)

Welcome to Life.

Anyway, the degree itself seems like a great idea - a well recognised qualification, plus working in a company that is growing despite the recession.

I suppose you are right on the first statement, but children should rather be brought up in high income household with good work ethic values.

It is a great idea, but it is a pity that many other companies that are performing well are not doing the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SRock

Yep im on the course since 2007 and its brilliant and I aint bein forced to say that :rolleyes:
    Im assured a job when I graduate but not under contract to stay with Lidl a day after!!! How sweet is that!

I have just got confirmation that I have made it through to the interview stage in DBS. Would you have any tips for the interview like the type of questions asked, how many interviewers and are they the same people who were at the recruitment day? Any help would be much appreciated as I've never had to do an interview before so kinda nervous. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

congratulations, i got to the recruitment stage and I thought I did ok but alias, no interview. let us know how you get on at the interview stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SRock

Thanks. Will do

Mention how you're genuinely interested in managing or working in a retail store, also mention that you have an interest in enhancing the shopper's experience in the store, decreasing levels of consumer frustration, etc.

Retailing stores are in need of constant innovation and user research, in order to perform better - that's the latest agenda. You'll have to make sure that you brush up on the latest issues that concern the retail industry. I mean not necessarily the obvious ones, such as loss of jobs and credit crunch, but things like increasing competition and environmental sustainability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ollie19

Im starting on the degree course on the 12th october, cant wait :D

ollie19 wrote: »
    Im starting on the degree course on the 12th october, cant wait :D

Best of good luck to you. Perhaps you might post back and fill people in on exactly what it entails. Best wishes, SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ollie19

thanks. will do:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ___?

Hi folks,

Applications from 2010 closed yesterday...anyone apply? Also, anyone from the course or working for lidl use boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ash10

Hey all, the application is open until July 31st, on the lidl and dbs page its says June 30th but in the email i recieved following my application it says July 31st. Really hoping something will come of it! Is it really true they pay a salary or anyone know how that works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 matt89

Hi i was invited to the recruitment day on the 3rd aug would be great if anyone can tell me what is involved and how many people are there?

Hope i get through :):)

Hey matt, i was told in the email that closing date was july 31st?? but u have heard from them already!? have they emailed you or how did they contact?? where is the recruitment thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 matt89

hi my girlfriend got invited to it. She got an email last week saying where it was and had to ring to confirm it. Its on the 3rd. Anyone else get invited?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mak1403

Yeh I got invited too. on the 3rd. Best of luck to your gf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ___?

So, care to enlighten us as to how it went?

Damn im so ragin! I dont get why you guys got invited before the closing date for applications!? it said on all the job websites aswell as the email they sent me that closing date for applications was july 31st!? Oh well, best of luck!

I think the closing date was the 31st of June. It was the 20th. But I applied at the end of april.

• Advertisement

Went ok. Lovely staff. Apptitude test and group work were the main focus of the day.

Advertisement