Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn-Offs!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd say what turns women off me is that I'm a bit on the chubby side and wear glasses. But I'm beautiful inside, and that's what really counts, isn't it? :D

As for turn offs for me, I'm pretty easy going, but the one thing that really gets me going is pretentiousness. I'll tolerate a lot of things, but a girl up her own arse loses my interest in no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I can't stand falseness about a person - people who create an artificial image of themselves in order to inflate their ego.

You know, over-mentioning hobbies in specific detail, referring to their (not really) glamorous life in every post, abbreviating locations in nonsensical ways....that kind of thing is really ugly to me.

I prefer someone who is real and honest, and not ashamed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

turns off on men
    -skinny lads.i dont want someone my size
    -excesivly muscly lads.boydybuilder muscles are horrible
    -lads with little feet like an 8.they just freak me out
    -sweat marks through the back of a top without any excersise eww
    -narrow shoulders
    -spend longer then me getting ready
    -lads who wear fake tan
    -soverign rings
    -controlling lads
    -mess fightning but taking it too far
    -superior attitude
    -racism
    -lads who flirt with other girls in front of you

turn offs on girls
    -facial hair bar eyebrows
    -dark body hair
    -overly skinny girls
    -girls in heels who walk like a cripple
    -amy winehouse style hair
    -caked on make up
    -gold tacky jewellery
    -giant hula hoop sized earings
    -superior attitude
    -racism
    -girls who hit lads because they know they wont hi them back

me
    -i have dexteritable toes.i can write with them
    -ive a scar thats apparently horrible looking
    -i scratched someone with my toenails before by mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

racism

Sitting in Q Bar last night with three of the lads (**off topic, I'm aware it's not the best place to spend a night but we were about to get the bus and fancied a change of setting and blah blah why am I explaining this...)

Anyway, back on track. This girl comes over, and recognises one of the other lads. "Ah ____, haven't seen you in ages OMG!" and all the rest of it.

Sits down, starts talking. She's really cute, seems quite sound and has a smile you'd kill your whole family to see again.

Off I go for a pint of the black. I come back, and they're (god knows why, or how it came about) discussing immigrants/immigration/state of the nation and all the rest. Real barstool wisdom starts pouring out of people. Then it spills out. Foul mouthed waggon, kind of racist stuff I'd give my little brother a smack for THINKING about saying.

So there you have it...lovely girl, shame about the oul' racism.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

On guys, bad table manners!

On myself, I can be very pedantic. I can even annoy myself with that one. Oh and my toes are not sexy. Ballet took away that privilege!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Things that turn women off me: Apparently I'm arrogant.

Things that turn me off women: Women who turn me down....which doesn't happen too often (see previous sentence :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

PrivateEye wrote: »
    ...lovely girl, shame about the oul' racism.

Sounds like a quote from Fr. Ted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Had a bit more of a think about this:
    - guys with long scraggly hair in a pony tail, seriously *shudders* (I have the before and after pictures for a friend and the difference is amazing)
    - guys who aren't much taller than me
    - really skinny guys

What I do that is probably a turn off I cannot pick a venue/film/pub etc for the life of me. And I tend to do things, such as go on holidays, without telling anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Kotick wrote: »
    I might as well share one of my turn offs. Guys who tell you why you did or said a certain thing and even when you try to explain what/why you really did or said they won't listen and believe in whatever they imagined happened. I know what goes on in my own head, you do not, so stop calling me a liar and listen already! :mad:

Now now, I know that you get this way sometimes, so here is a nice cup of tea to calm you down. Tea is a great soother for women...

:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

IanCurtis wrote: »
    I prefer someone who is real and honest, and not ashamed of it.
    So, say you went for a meal with a girl who meets with the very specific physical criteria you regularly insist upon, and she orders a side of chips... you'd be cool with that choice of high-cal food, the continuous consumption of which will eventually make her fat (and we all know how much you hate fat people) cuz she's being "real" and true to herself... right? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Red hair seems to be a turn off for a large enough group of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Will wrote: »

Theres red hair and then theres red hair...

The darker red hair can be nice, anything up to... say the shade of Debra Messings hair in Will and Grace - but then on the other hand theres the fluro red that ive seen a few times, not overly common but not for me!!!

What I do that is probably a turn off I cannot pick a venue/film/pub etc for the life of me. And I tend to do things, such as go on holidays, without telling anyone.

hahahaha +100 00000 000000 0000

My indecisiveness annoys even me!!

Yeah, a bit of friendly tongue-in-cheek slagging is one thing, but some of the comments on that AH thread are way OTT.

Bah it's AH, rolls right off my back, as with everyone else I hope.

Although the current comments are decidedly more complimentary... :)

Ah that's cos I thretened them all via PM :D
    even you :pac:

Back on topic;

turn offs... poor oral hygiene.

Stingyness.

Moodiness - can't stand passive aggressiveness. I prefer someone to let it all out than bottle it up and mope around the place in a sulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't like long hair on most guys. Especially if it's manky unbrushed and unwashed. I don't like tightly cropped hair either though. Or glasses.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

personal turn-offs:

I make no effort. I hardly even make any effort in trying to score them in the first place. *Allegedly* a turn off for many but, oddly enough, seems to be working out quite well for me. Some girls like it I guess...

I don't believe in marriage or long-term relationships. Many girls don't like this, especially the ones approaching 30, the big desperate saps. :pac:

I only like skinny girls. Some of my female friends think this is the shallowest, most reprehensible trait imaginable, but I don't care. I likes what I likes.

Turn-offs in women-folk:

Stupid or generally ditsy.

Celebrity obsession. Inextricably linked with my first point imo.

Abrasive and belligerent personalities. I like fiery chicks but some people confuse being strong-willed with being obnoxious and self-righteous. If you often find yourself at the centre of disagreements and drunken arguments, perhaps you should ask yourself why... maybe the problem isn't 'everybody else'...

Facial hair... urrgh. We can still see it when you bleach it!

Overweight... sorry, just a personal preference. No need to string me up.

Over-dressing. Makes me look like a bum! :pac:

Drift wrote: »
    Sounds like a quote from Fr. Ted!!

That episode, about racism, is one of the funniest things that ever graced television. Turned me from a fairweather 'careful now' to a full time FatherTedaholic.
    Celebrity obsession.

JEEEEEESUS, I know exactly what you mean here. A girl I really liked in school had some kind of bizarre obsession with a few yanky actors that used to bug the hell out of me. They don't know you. They probably..... and you have to whisper this bit or they get really upset.... they probably don't even care.

but as for overdressing, I loves me a stylish lady :pac:

• Advertisement

Things that turn women off me: Apparently I'm arrogant.

It is an entry requirement for the CPL training....don't worry about it! The uniform will more and make up for it. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

most of what's been listed (except for the skinny guys, <3 skinny) plus alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Bah it's AH, rolls right off my back, as with everyone else I hope.

Is there some way we can stamp that across the screen of everyone who logs on to AH?

To stay on topic:
    Guinness breath. STINKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

WindSock wrote: »
    I don't like long hair on most guys. Especially if it's manky unbrushed and unwashed. I don't like tightly cropped hair either though. Or glasses.

wow. i think it's safe to say that if even if we werent both attached... we would NEVER end up fighting over a guy :P

Guinness breath. STINKS.

Guilty.

I am the bloke you see at the bar who orders Guinness/Murphys AND a pint of water, for that exact reason.

Do any women drink Guinness? I've yet to see it, but I would marry her..... I reckon a shared passion of such beauty will see us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Do any women drink Guinness?

Have you met many women? (Joke!:))

Enough to know they think it's phiss.
    The 'more calories in an alcopop than that pint' story always scares 'em :pac:

I've seen women drink glasses of Guinness, but that's no good. I want a lady demolishing pints of the stuff. A boy can dream :rolleyes:

Guilty.

I am the bloke you see at the bar who orders Guinness/Murphys AND a pint of water, for that exact reason.

Do any women drink Guinness? I've yet to see it, but I would marry her..... I reckon a shared passion of such beauty will see us through.

ehh lots of ladies drink guinness.....in a glass with a blackcurrant.....Polish ladies even drink it with a straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I've seen women drink glasses of Guinness, but that's no good. I want a lady demolishing pints of the stuff. A boy can dream :rolleyes:

I have been known to demolish a pint or two, usually as a dare, or if one of the lads is stupid enough to give me his pint to hold. I feelobliged to skull it...JUST to piss them off!!

I used to hate Guinness, quite like it now in fact!!!

• Advertisement

.....in a glass with a blackcurrant.....

nonononono......
    Guinness_pint.jpg

Would you believe when I was looking at colleges, the question of 'Is there Guinness in the SU and is it phiss?' was quite high on the agenda.

JUST to piss them off!!

:) spot on.

Now, I'm hijacking this topic.

So to get back on track:

Women who use loads of bad language. Don't like this in folks in general, but there's nothing worse......

'OMG THIS IS MY SONG!!!' kind of women when some generic top 40 song about nothing comes on in a nightclub. Can't wait to find out whats 'Your song' next week. Good taste in music in people is a big plusy plus.

Women who go out basically in the nip. In winter. I know it's a nightclub or whatever, but that's not going to attract the right kind of attention.....

Advertisement