Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The M20 is in doubt yet again.

The money isn't there.

An upgrade of the N24 is favoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

this thread isn't supposed to be the place to discuss this, but I understood people were advocating following the line of the R513, not the N24.

The N24 route would be followed by only a very small proportion of the N20 traffic, all of the traffic which originates between Limerick and Cork would continue to use the existing road, as would those drivers who think , rightly , the N24 would be a very long way around and involves a toll on the M8.

What's your source KC161?

Isambard wrote: »
    this thread isn't supposed to be the place to discuss this, but I understood people were advocating following the line of the R513, not the N24.

The N24 route would be followed by only a very small proportion of the N20 traffic, all of the traffic which originates between Limerick and Cork would continue to use the existing road, as would those drivers who think , rightly , the N24 would be a very long way around and involves a toll on the M8.

What's your source KC161?

Corks RedFM

Mods:

Move if in wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'd question the authenticity of that report seeing as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else, but...

If there's no money to progress the planning of the money where is the money going to come from for the N24 dualling?????

Where is the benefit in dualling the Limerick-Waterford road before the Cork-Limerick road?

More drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD: In light of the recent revelations that the scheme is back to the route selection stage, all discussion of what route the proposed motorway will take is permitted in this thread.

The MOD NOTE on post 2338 is now no longer in operation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

marno21 wrote: »
    I'd question the authenticity of that report seeing as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else, but...

If there's no money to progress the planning of the money where is the money going to come from for the N24 dualling?????

Where is the benefit in dualling the Limerick-Waterford road before the Cork-Limerick road?

More drivel.

I've not read this thread but if you think outside side the Rep of Cork mindset for a minute and take a wider view, wouldn't it be more sensible to turn the N24 into a proper road that connects with the N8? That way the three big population centres in Munster would all have good quality connections between each other (and Dublin in Cork's case).

I've not read this thread but if you think outside side the Rep of Cork mindset for a minute and take a wider view, wouldn't it be more sensible to turn the N24 into a proper road that connects with the N8? That way the three big population centres in Munster would all have good quality connections between each other (and Dublin in Cork's case).
    It's nothing to do with a Rep of Cork mindset, nor an anti-Waterford mindset. It's what the feasibility study will say.

The N25 Cork-Waterford road needs dualling as far as Youghal anyway, and the N20 needs dualling to Mallow as a backlog scheme, as does the N24 Limerick-Pallasgreen. Given this, it makes sense to improve all 3.

I said it before, but what would happen if the M20 doesn't get built and the N24 is upgraded instead is that the N20 would have to be rebuilt anyway over much of it's length because 90% or so of it's traffic would still be using it. As I've said before, most of the traffic is not end to end imo and it is only the end to end traffic that would use either of the other possible routes, and even then much of it would stick to the old route which is much shorter and not tolled.

Would not Limerick to Waterford be better served by a short link from the M7 to the M9?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I drove from Dublin to Mallow last night and was struck by how much of an understaking it would be to construct a new interchange or alter the existing interchange to accommodate an M24, unless of course they go for the proposed brain dead solution of keeping it as it is, similar to the proposed M28/N40 junction at Bloomfield, and have the traffic reduced to a single lane.

It's nothing to do with a Rep of Cork mindset, nor an anti-Waterford mindset. It's what the feasibility study will say.

The N25 Cork-Waterford road needs dualling as far as Youghal anyway, and the N20 needs dualling to Mallow as a backlog scheme, as does the N24 Limerick-Pallasgreen. Given this, it makes sense to improve all 3.

I read that twice and then understood! ;)

I think it's clear enough that the N24 will never be a contiguous DC of any grade alas. As for the N25 - how many years since the Dungarvan RR was mooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

KC161 wrote: »

That's another million euro thrown away.
    You can see what they are thinking, limerick to Cork via cahir.
    Gob****es. Why can't they get funding through the eu for this?
    Or are they hoping this could be some sort of spring board for a motorway to waterford?

KC161 wrote: »
    Dr James Ring, CEO of Limerick Chamber of Commerce, says a direct Cork to Limerick motorway is needed, however.

"Ireland needs a strong Dublin, but Dublin needs a strong region, and Cork, Limerick and Galway are dots on a map," he said.

"And on a global scale, we're non-players really. But bring the three of them together and you're starting to form a critical mass, up along the west coast of Ireland.

"The three cities should be working together to try and help the country, not trying to fight over the scraps off Dublin's table

Tells the South East where to go eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just heard this on the radio. Pathetic. WAtch them pull hundreds of millions out of their ass for a welfare increase this year, to the most generourous welfare system in the world. It's pathetic. It's Ireland

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Just heard this on the radio. Pathetic. WAtch them pull hundreds of millions out of their ass for a welfare increase this year, to the most generourous welfare system in the world. It's pathetic. It's Ireland

Careful now!

Those on welfare are ENTITLED to an increase before any important roads are built

Silly arguments abound, maybe a hospital or two could be put on hold as well.

I read that twice and then understood! ;)

I think it's clear enough that the N24 will never be a contiguous DC of any grade alas. As for the N25 - how many years since the Dungarvan RR was mooted?

The traffic levels on the N25 Midleton-Youghal warrant a dual carriageway upgrade - especially to bypass Castlemartyr and Killeagh. The N25 is an important route anyway Cork-Waterford/Rosslare
    bear1 wrote: »
    That's another million euro thrown away.
    You can see what they are thinking, limerick to Cork via cahir.
    Gob****es. Why can't they get funding through the eu for this?
    Or are they hoping this could be some sort of spring board for a motorway to waterford?

There is already EU funding on the table for the M21 and M28 (absolutely chronic at present) but there is no rush to build these either.
    Tells the South East where to go eh?

That's just referring to the fact that the Atlantic Corridor Patrickswell-Tuam is done and the missing piece, Limerick-Cork is a massively glaring gap in the national motorway network.

If limerick to Cork is what 90km which would cost up to 1 billion and cahir to limerick is about 70km how much would that cost? 5/600 million?

bear1 wrote: »
    If limerick to Cork is what 90km which would cost up to 1 billion and cahir to limerick is about 70km how much would that cost? 5/600 million?
    M7 - M8 at Cahir is about 55km.

Also need Mallow - Cork DC, Cork North Ring Road, Charleville Relief Road & Buttevant Relief road, along with a realignment of the Ballybeg bends, the bends near Anhid Cross etc.

Doesn't seem so cheap now does it?

Just build the ****ing M20 like everyone knows we need, and progress planning on the N24 Limerick-Cahir which is needed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Also need Mallow - Cork DC, Cork North Ring Road, Charleville Relief Road & Buttevant Relief road, along with a realignment of the Ballybeg bends, the bends near Anhid Cross etc.

Just build the ****ing M20 like everyone knows we need, and progress planning on the N24 Limerick-Cahir which is needed too.

Sounds like when they were building the M8 and M9, they toyed with various tie ups and alternatives...in the end the logical choice was made to broadly follow the traditional N routes..I think the exact same will happen with the M20, this sounds like a side show to delay commitment to funding..

Oh I agree with you. My point was more why the **** take precedence over a road which has less significance that connecting the 2nd and 3rd largest cities.
    the government is a farce and the fact they are just pissing around with throwing a million around for a study is a shambles.
    Connect Cobh with Cork then onto galway is a massive benefit.
    They still act as if it were 2009 and the country was ****ed.
    We've got a strong economy, brexit is a massive opportunity and yet here they are giving a children's hospital to the church.
    Utter cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It's fairly obvious at this stage that there is huge pressure coming from somewhere within government to stop this road from happening.

The less trafficked M17 and M18 have flown through. Cork as usual is getting seriously shafted. Never ever will I vote for FG again.

It's fairly obvious at this stage that there is huge pressure coming from somewhere within government to stop this road from happening.

The less trafficked M17 and M18 have flown through. Cork as usual is getting seriously shafted. Never ever will I vote for FG again.
    I've been thinking the same, constant wheeling out of the "no money" for planning excuse but the last big ticket N5 scheme is racing through the planning process and there was lots of money for the Listowel bypass when Deenihan was in.

Why would FG have anything against Cork of all places? It's a heartland for them. Simon Coveney has leadership ambitions for peters sake.

Why would FG have anything against Cork of all places? It's a heartland for them. Simon Coveney has leadership ambitions for peters sake.

Well it's not necessarily anti Cork...could be anti Limerick couldn't it? Or Cork wanting to trade with Dublin more than Limerick? Who knows, there's something behind it

Well as the road connects only those two cities, it would be damned strange to be anti one of them. Logically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I still find it strange given that Michael Noonan is in charge of the purse strings yet won't put the pressure on to give a huge boost to his own constituency. You would think that Simon Coveney would also be pushing this with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

FGR wrote: »
    I still find it strange given that Michael Noonan is in charge of the purse strings yet won't put the pressure on to give a huge boost to his own constituency. You would think that Simon Coveney would also be pushing this with him.

Coveney couldn't give 2 knobs of Goat sh1t about this as it isn't bothering his electorate (Cork South Central) too much.

Noonan is only waiting for his (excessive) pension.

It's the FG Rats in Cork North Central, Cork North West and Cork East as well as Limerick that should be shouting from the rooftops about it. But of course they haven't a pair of balls between the whole lot of them.

• Advertisement

Michael Creed (Cork North West) is putting all his effort into getting the Macroom bypass started. I understand that, he's from Macroom.

Patrick O'Donovan (Limerick) is Deputy Minister in the Department of Transport. Nothing from him, it's all about the N21 yet there's no movement on that either.

Sherlock has been mad about the M20 since he left Government. Peddling the usual no money line before that. Plenty of money for Michael Ring's wish list though

Advertisement