Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Another tragedy on the N20 this morning near Newtwopothouse. R.I.P

Is the message not hitting home with the 'gubberment' that this is one of the most dangerous national roads in the country.

If it hits home they will just deploy more speed camera vans on the road

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Another tragedy on the N20 this morning near Newtwopothouse. R.I.P

Is the message not hitting home with the 'gubberment' that this is one of the most dangerous national roads in the country.

There was several people killed on this road in 2016, the year Enda Kenny arrogantly shouted Cork people down for expecting a motorway to Limerick when they already got their motorway to Dublin.

The legacy of that attitude will define the N20 corridor for the next few years at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

marno21 wrote: »
    There was several people killed on this road in 2016, the year Enda Kenny arrogantly shouted Cork people down for expecting a motorway to Limerick when they already got their motorway to Dublin.

The legacy of that attitude will define the N20 corridor for the next few years at keast

The year of “the gathering” ? Yes I recall the ‘Cork got its motorway to Dublin’ comment. Those demanding routing via the M8 at Mitchelstown are never to be seen banging that drum when this occurs though. I’ll be long retired before that motorway is ever built by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭prunudo

tweek84 wrote: »
    If it hits home they will just deploy more speed camera vans on the road

Exactly this, its never the fault of the road design or conditions, scandalous some of roads that have to contuine to deal with high volumes of traffic because politicians are dragging their heals. Junctions and roads are in an awful state, up and down the country with over grown hedges and potholes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Driven this twice in the last week. Hairy experience when it's busy, that motorway needs building. Another thing though, you can drive all the roads around Newcastle west, o Rourke's cross etc and be overtaken 2/3 times by cars and vans doing circa 120/130km an hour and not see one speed van or speed gun. Then head to cork and you could see 3 in ten mins on the city roads. What is the deal there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Driven this twice in the last week. Hairy experience when it's busy, that motorway needs building. Another thing though, you can drive all the roads around Newcastle west, o Rourke's cross etc and be overtaken 2/3 times by cars and vans doing circa 120/130km an hour and not see one speed van or speed gun. Then head to cork and you could see 3 in ten mins on the city roads. What is the deal there?
    There's often speed vans on the N20/21 around Limerick alright. On the M20 motorway northbound J4 onramp is a favourite, O'Rourkes Cross on the N20, between Charleville and Ballyhea, on the N21 in Adare, just west of Adare, in Croagh, around the Rathkeale bypass.

There was an unmarked Garda speed van around Limerick before that caught a hape of people in Banogue after the pedestrian fatality there in 2014 but it hasn't been around in a while.

The N20 and N21 are so congested and slow that often there's no need for speed enforcement because the roads are too clogged to speed. Many crashes on these roads are to do with roads being overcapacity and dangerous junctions than Shane Ross and his "if you drive too fast you die that's physics" bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

There's often speed vans on the N20/21 around Limerick alright. On the M20 motorway northbound J4 onramp is a favourite, O'Rourkes Cross on the N20, between Charleville and Ballyhea, on the N21 in Adare, just west of Adare, in Croagh, around the Rathkeale bypass.

There was an unmarked Garda speed van around Limerick before that caught a hape of people in Banogue after the pedestrian fatality there in 2014 but it hasn't been around in a while.

The N20 and N21 are so congested and slow that often there's no need for speed enforcement because the roads are too clogged to speed. Many crashes on these roads are to do with roads being overcapacity and dangerous junctions than Shane Ross and his "if you drive too fast you die that's physics" bull****.

Rourkes cross def needs the speed van cause of the dangerous junctions there & the petrol station & they just driving straight out on to the road without looking sometimes & & others speeding then & not seeing them.

Rourkes cross def needs the speed van cause of the dangerous junctions there & the petrol station & they just driving straight out on to the road without looking sometimes & & others speeding then & not seeing them.
    There's a roundabout going there over the next few years - should vastly improve safety around there.

Any time i pass O'Rourke's Cross the speed van is parked in the bus stop across from the filling station when it is actually there, the roundabout will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

That's just your average day as far as Cork motorists are concerned, they bring their bad driving over the border for cheap fuel.

• Advertisement

Might have just been lucky not to see them so, and ya agreed on the roads. I don't get the people overtaking trucks when there's another 6/7 clearly visible on the road ahead. It's mad. Overcapacity and then lunatics assisting with the danger with the standard of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Might have just been lucky not to see them so, and ya agreed on the roads. I don't get the people overtaking trucks when there's another 6/7 clearly visible on the road ahead. It's mad. Overcapacity and then lunatics assisting with the danger with the standard of driving.

A lot of that goes on at rush hour, sadly.

It's a case of lack of infrastructure and lack of enforcement simultaneously as you get nearer to the big employment areas. I regularly see crazy carry-on from commuters. It tends to not be as prevalent during non-commuter hours from what I've seen.

A lot of that goes on at rush hour, sadly.

It's a case of lack of infrastructure and lack of enforcement simultaneously as you get nearer to the big employment areas. I regularly see crazy carry-on from commuters. It tends to not be as prevalent during non-commuter hours from what I've seen.

Yep late in the evening is a nice time to travel it between 7 and 9 at night. Must be a fairly hairy trip in a truck watching the chances people take.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yep late in the evening is a nice time to travel it between 7 and 9 at night. Must be a fairly hairy trip in a truck watching the chances people take.

Its not just about people taking chances. It is also about a dangerous road. There was a section of road between Newcastlewest and Templeglantine. Over a 3-4 year period there was 2-3 really serious accidents. They realigned the road about 3-4 years ago it ended the problem You would nnot find the road from Buttervent to Rathduff between any two cities anywhere in Europe

Slava Ukrainii

I did it for a while, Either side of Banogue i've had the idiots try and over take me when i'm stuck behind a tractor

Travelled along the N20 yesterday evening, from Ballygibbon to Rathduff was bumper to bumper the entire way, even in the climbing lane, this not being helped by the bad weather either and then having the speed limit going from 100-80-60, i actually pity the tourists having to travel this dump of a road to Blarney, given that Blarney is renowned globally and is a major tourist attraction one would think the incompetent people in Leinster House would get the finger out and get the damn motorway built.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Travelled along the N20 yesterday evening, from Ballygibbon to Rathduff was bumper to bumper the entire way, even in the climbing lane, this not being helped by the bad weather either and then having the speed limit going from 100-80-60, i actually pity the tourists having to travel this dump of a road to Blarney, given that Blarney is renowned globally and is a major tourist attraction one would think the incompetent people in Leinster House would get the finger out and get the damn motorway built.

The next solution will be to take it via Thurles

Slava Ukrainii

The next solution will be to take it via Thurles

The M8 definitely ain't the solution, rather it will contribute to an even bigger problem

Its not just about people taking chances. It is also about a dangerous road. There was a section of road between Newcastlewest and Templeglantine. Over a 3-4 year period there was 2-3 really serious accidents. They realigned the road about 3-4 years ago it ended the problem You would nnot find the road from Buttervent to Rathduff between any two cities anywhere in Europe

Wasn't saying it was just about that. Obviously the road is the main culprit .

Latest from Paul Moran, TII:

Completing the M20 Cork-Limerick motorway by its 2027 deadline, as set out in the National Development Plan, will be "a serious challenge", Mr Moran said.

Currently, the estimated cost is €850 million to €900 million but Mr Moran said it is "highly unlikely" that these costs will remain stagnant in the coming years.

He said objectors and lobby groups have already emerged, which could potentially slow down the project further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Latest from Paul Moran, TII:

Completing the M20 Cork-Limerick motorway by its 2027 deadline, as set out in the National Development Plan, will be "a serious challenge", Mr Moran said.

Currently, the estimated cost is €850 million to €900 million but Mr Moran said it is "highly unlikely" that these costs will remain stagnant in the coming years.

He said objectors and lobby groups have already emerged, which could potentially slow down the project further.

Jesus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Laughable. What’s the plan ? Wait for the next recession when build costs plummet and then decimate the capital budget Again? They’ll have billions to waste this budget. Actually invest in infrastructure, stop blowing it on welfare increases etc !

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Laughable. What’s the plan ? Wait for the next recession when build costs plummet and then decimate the capital budget Again? They’ll have billions to waste this budget. Actually invest in infrastructure, stop blowing it on welfare increases etc !

Again; god help you if you ever find yourself wanting....

Blaming lack of progress on "welfare increases" tells me only ONE thing...

You have more money than sense.

:-/

Back on topic with the M20;

I'd love to meet some of the "objectors" to this scheme, just to see how they feel about the amount of deaths and injuries that have been the result of a lack of progress on this VITAL piece of long-overdue infrastructure!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Idbatterim wrote: »

Smart governments build during recessions not when costs are highest.

The infrastructure budget is being blown on projects like the national children's hospital and the m17

Back on topic with the M20;

I'd love to meet some of the "objectors" to this scheme, just to see how they feel about the amount of deaths and injuries that have been the result of a lack of progress on this VITAL piece of long-overdue infrastructure!

There was a piece on RTE news a while back (in the last year roughly) interviewing 'objectors' from the Charleville area saying their farm will be split in 2 etc and were vocal in their support of the Mitchelstown route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

There was a piece on RTE news a while back (in the last year roughly) interviewing 'objectors' from the Charleville area saying their farm will be split in 2 etc and were vocal in their support of the Mitchelstown route.

to paraphrase....NIMBY.

Isambard wrote: »
    to paraphrase....NIMBY.

Yes, but we got pulled by a Mod a while back to stop using that term that 'objectors' was more suited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Would underpasses not alleviate such an issue?

I live in the Glanmire area and there are numerous under and overpasses along the M8 towards Watergrasshill, that can accommodate milk tankers, tractors and combines.

It's a pretty poor stance to have from my own opinion.

Advertisement