Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

As my CPC instructor says " Cork doesn't have a motorway to Dublin, it ends at the Naas Dual carriageway. so what goes where is up for debate.

Personally I always consider the M8 motorway to begin when you pass Junction 18 Glanmire and the road widens along with the increased speed limit regardless of the signage at the Dunkettle roundabout.

I agree (not that it makes any difference.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote:
    M1 at the N33 junction? To be fair ye are getting Letterkenny-Lifford, the A5 and the border to Ardee dialled in the next 10 years!

10 years is being very optimistic, no way will all that happen in that time frame.

And Donegal people are 3 or 4 hours away from the N33 in Co. Louth!

Anyway, I'm off topic, the complete and utter absence of any decent links to the northwest from Dublin is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Isambard wrote: »
    I agree (not that it makes any difference.)

You're right

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Last post on this, seeing as I appear to have caused some confusion.

The M8 is a great motorway for you if you live along it or the dual carraigeways that connect to it. It's not fair to tell someone from Skibbereen or Macroom that they have a motorway to Dublin, when for parts of the county it's still a 2 hour journey at some times to get to the M8.

There is an awful lot of work to be done on Cork's roads before they can be classified as decent, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I suppose by "Cork has it's Motorway", they mean the City, but there's an awful lot of Cork County out there a long way from decent roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭rounders

Lads ye can't expect every corner of the county to have a motorway 10 mins from their house

as it stands it's only one small corner of a very large County that has that, yet the "powers that be" and you think we should be content with a motorway to Dublin and none to Limerick despite people dying regularly as a result of the delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

I know what you mean...it's just that we have 11 road deaths this yr, acc. RSA

http://www.thejournal.ie/rsa-road-deaths-4117518-Jul2018/

Good roads would help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭rounders

I'm not saying I'm against the M20. I live less than 1km from the current N20.

From the way ye have been talking though on the last two pages we should have major roads covering everyone in the county

Can we just bring the conversation back to updates on the M20.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

rounders wrote: »
    Lads ye can't expect every corner of the county to have a motorway 10 mins from their house

You can't. But you can expect roads carrying over 20k vehicles daily to be upgraded to the required standard, given that motorways in the "west" are being built to carry less than half that.
    rounders wrote: »
    I'm not saying I'm against the M20. I live less than 1km from the current N20.

From the way ye have been talking though on the last two pages we should have major roads covering everyone in the county

Can we just bring the conversation back to updates on the M20.

I've addressed the issue I brought up already, so yes we can return to the M20, but you won't be seeing updates for some time.

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    I know what you mean...it's just that we have 11 road deaths this yr, acc. RSA

http://www.thejournal.ie/rsa-road-deaths-4117518-Jul2018/

Good roads would help!!!
    of those seven Cork deaths, several or most will be on the stretch of N20 in question.

mp3guy wrote: »
    None. The route selection process will start from scratch in September.

The most recent of those is the middle one, which is what we've been working off here as the new route will likely resemble that one.

By the way, road resurfacing starts today until early October between Ballyhea and Buttevant.

Stop go system in place between 9am and 7pm Monday-Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

marno21 wrote: »
    None. The route selection process will start from scratch in September.

The most recent of those is the middle one, which is what we've been working off here as the new route will likely resemble that one.

This is where I've come up against some confusion, take this article for example;

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/leo-varadkar-cork-limerick-motorway-will-follow-original-planned-route-466281.html

"He said the Government’s capital plan, due out soon, will outline the 80km route as initially planned, from the junction with the N21 at Attyflynn, to the proposed Cork northern ring road near Blarney. This corridor would run to the west of the current N20."

This seems to imply west rather than the east yellow corridor?

This is where I've come up against some confusion, take this article for example;

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/leo-varadkar-cork-limerick-motorway-will-follow-original-planned-route-466281.html

"He said the Government’s capital plan, due out soon, will outline the 80km route as initially planned, from the junction with the N21 at Attyflynn, to the proposed Cork northern ring road near Blarney. This corridor would run to the west of the current N20."

This seems to imply west rather than the east yellow corridor?
    Those corridors are irrelevant now as they will be drawn up from scratch. There was a mixup somewhere, either by him, or the reporter. He meant the western corridor, as in via the N20 (Mallow/Charleville), rather than the eastern corridor (via Mitchelstown)

One of the requirements in the new N20 scheme is that it "addresses the deficiencies of the existing N20". This completely rules out the Mitchelstown/Cahir routes from day 1, which is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How close to Cork will the mway actually get?

The approach into Cork is already built, it'll just require a partial redesignation to motorway.

The connection to the M8 at Glanmire and the connection to the N22 at Curraheen are what needs to be built, and we have no details on these yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Are you concerned that the northern ring junctions will be downgraded from what they were (which I think were full freeflow)?

Are you concerned that the northern ring junctions will be downgraded from what they were (which I think were full freeflow)?

Not at all, id imagine they will be built properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Closer than the M18 got to Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Surely there must be a lot of uncertainty around now for properties in the area whether or not they'll be slapped with a CPO in a few years? Just like things were back in 2008/2009?

Surely there must be a lot of uncertainty around now for properties in the area whether or not they'll be slapped with a CPO in a few years? Just like things were back in 2008/2009?

There is alright. Certainly will be when route selection begins

Some elements of the previous route are certainties for being kept e.g. around Croom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Parents of schoolkids held a protest at Waterloo Jctn today over the school-run taking longer.

Shn99 wrote:
    Parents of schoolkids held a protest at Waterloo Jctn today over the school-run taking longer.

Should be ashamed of themselves. It's literally less than 5 minutes down to the Blarney junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Should be ashamed of themselves. It's literally less than 5 minutes down to the Blarney junction.

They alleged it'd take an extra 30 minutes on RTE news. :D

Shn99 wrote:
    They alleged it'd take an extra 30 minutes on RTE news.

I don't see anyone protesting every time someone is killed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Shn99 wrote: »
    Shn99 wrote: »
    They alleged it'd take an extra 30 minutes on RTE news. :D
    I don't see anyone protesting every time someone is killed there.

Here is Paul Byrne's report from TV3.

The 30 minutes is total lies.

Legal action is being considered.
    https://twitter.com/PaulByrne_1/status/1034821012179890177

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

In fairness they've a nice safe place to protest now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭cjpm

In fairness to those people Cork Co Co pulled a fast one on them. Closing it temporarily for road works on the N20 and then announcing that its going to be permanent full closure. FFS. There a right and proper way of doing road closures and this certainly wasn't.

Left in left out would be a good compromise until the M20 is built. Although it HAS TO HAVE a suitable acceleration and deacceleration lanes. Too many near misses with people pulling out.

Advertisement