Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A little dissappointing so from what john and Road-Hog have said. Road-Hog, what did you hear about the possible impact of tomorrow's budget on the scheme? I am under the impression that all schemes under construction are contractually untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Going off on a tangent (literally), I see work has begun on the Athy side for the N78 - M9 - N9 - R747 link road. Anyone have any info on the scheduled completion date for this section?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Furet wrote: »
    I am under the impression that all schemes under construction are contractually untouchable.

It may simply mean that a 2010 targeted finish means no money until 2010 and that they will not be paid in 2009 if they expedite the scheme for a 2009 finish .

So why pay overtime or performance bonuses to get a job finished in 2009 .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Disappointing but pretty much what I had observed myself. Progress was really quick for a year or so then this time last year onwards progress slowed substantially.
    I thought after the Carlow bypass a lot of the Ascon staff would be moved to Knockopher down. The opposite happened I think, and Ascon let go a lot of their staff I heard.
    I'd say year end would be realistic from what I can see. Hard to see it opening in the summer at the present rate unfortunately.

What about the 40km Carlow to Knocktopher section being built by Roadbridge Sisk JV? This contractor built the two huge sections of M8 that opened last year and have a reputation for coming in well ahead of schedule.

• Advertisement

What about the 40km Carlow to Knocktopher section being built by Roadbridge Sisk JV? This contractor built the two huge sections of M8 that opened last year and have a reputation for coming in well ahead of schedule.

Progressing very well I think. I pass it daily and a lot of the bridges/overpasses/flyovers are in place.

Also, a clip of M9 construction works was shown on Six One this evening. Looked quite unadvanced, still at the bulk earthworks phase. Did anyone else see it and, if 'yes', what element was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Bards

Also, a clip of M9 construction works was shown on Six One this evening. Looked quite unadvanced, still at the bulk earthworks phase. Did anyone else see it and, if 'yes', what element was it?

I saw it, and at a guess it is the Knocktopher to Carlow section in Co. Kilkenny by Roadbridge

Why was that on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

budget cuts but not on interurbans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Early completion bonuses and funding may be effected, but at worst it'll mean they slow down and meet their original completion dates, but not the opened-early things that we've been used to recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

6/1 report was interesting but very worrying as it sounds like lots of transport projects are for the chop. I suppose you can't cancel sewerage projects if sewage is going to be spilling all over the place.

The bit at the end about how road building employs Irish people and Irish companies but Metro doesn't was interesting. This is exactly the problem the USA has. The reason there's $27B in the stimulus bill for roads but only a piffling $750M for light rail is for the same reason - light rail/metro etc. in the States has to be bought off Europeans whereas roads are built by Americans. Therefore to create employment in the short term, build lots of roads. This logic is very compelling and makes me worry very seriously about Metro/Interconnector.

I believe the Mulinavat overbridge is now open (Mullinavat to New Ross road) - can someone confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

Bucahailli, I took some long overdue photos of the Kilcullen to Carlow section today. Progress is going very fast. As you travel south the scheme is more and more finished. I'm not sure how to upload photos here so you will have to hop over to Sabre to see them. Please feel free to post them here if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Any chance of posting a link to the photos?

Thanks. :)

Any chance of posting a link to the photos?

Thanks. :)

http://www.uk-roads.org.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The M9 Kilcullen-Carlow section is amazingly well advanced - I actually can't believe it. It is more than certain to open at least by February next year I reckon - but definately could see a December opening if construction continues at this pace.

Phenomenal. This has every chance of opening this year. Roadbridge are building it, right?

Phenomenal. This has every chance of opening this year. Roadbridge are building it, right?

Yep, Roadbridge have this phase & the Carlow to Knocktopher section (wth Sisk), which is also progressing very nicely indeed:D

Ned, would you consider selecting one or two of your excellent photos and uploading them to the M9 wikipedia page?

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »
    Yep, Roadbridge have this phase & the Carlow to Knocktopher section (wth Sisk), which is also progressing very nicely indeed:D

It's a typical Roadbridge job: look at how tidy the site is, and note how they're landscaping the embankments as they go. I'd say it's a cert this'll open before the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

Ned, would you consider selecting one or two of your excellent photos and uploading them to the M9 wikipedia page?

Hi Furet, I'm not sure how to do that but please feel free to copy those from SABRE to wikipedia if you like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A bit ahead of N7 Nenagh - Limerick which 'opens' next month is the N9 .

I really hope we can keeps pros like Roadbridge in work over the next 3 years .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If its speed (and moneysaving) that the Gov etc are after, then I think we know whos gonna get the first of the new PPPs (if they go ahead).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah Roadbridge deserve credit. They do nice tidy jobs with little or no sloppiness. I think they did the elegant Arklow Bypass as well IIRC.

When did that last overbridge in NedNew's photos (just south of Kilcullen carrying the N9) open to traffic?

When did that last overbridge in NedNew's photos (just south of Kilcullen carrying the N9) open to traffic?

about 2 to 3 weeks ago IIRC

Bards wrote: »
    I believe the Mulinavat overbridge is now open (Mullinavat to New Ross road) - can someone confirm?

Yes the overbridge and roundabout junctions are now in place and completed on the Ross-Mullinavat road. However, looking at the M9 underneath there is lots of work to be done either side :(

• Advertisement

Seems a strange way to build a road to me. Have sections that are almost totally finished and could be opened very soon and then other section just down the road which have lots of work and earth moving yet to be done. Particularly around junctions and overbridges.

p.s. the current N9/10 between KK and Waterford is in a shocking condition (drove some of it yesterday). The surface is abysmal in some places, particularly south of Ballyhale. Beware anybody driving it, there are huge crater like potholes in places (worse in than usual for the N9) right on that bad bend leaving Ballyhale going south there is a huge one and in the middle of the road at the next railway bridge.
    They are massive and very dangerous . I have low profile tyres (on my nice Volvo S40 :) ) and would definitely have been destroyed (again) had I hit them at high speed.

I presume it's KK county council under NRA direction have responsibility for the surface? Shame on them. I know funds are v tight but a few chippings and tar would not be too much to ask? Or maybe they are not spending a penny with the new M9 opening soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement