Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite musical?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Les Miserables without a doubt.

My first time seeing it got me hooked. All my friends now harass me about my full Les Mis playlist on my iPod which is played constantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 IrishTerrier42

RENT is what got me into theatre - and almost eight years later, it still remains my favorite show.
    That said, I also really enjoyed the following ...

STAGE PRODUCTIONS
    Wicked
    Billy Elliot
    Spring Awakening
    Tick Tick ... Boom!

MOVIES
    HAIR
    Guys and Dolls
    Hedwig and the Angry Inch
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Social Media

Phantom of The Opera (saw in New York). Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Les Mis has been around a long time and was my favourite until I saw Billy Elliot on Broadway. It blew me completely out of my seat. I have since seen it in London. The performances by the kids are truly amazing. I can't think of any other show where even adults are set such a tough role to perform. It is an emotional experience in the extreme and a must-see. Be warned, though, there is a bit of swearing (including by the kids) if you are fussy about such things.
    When I was at the London show I was told that an Irish boy had played Billy but had to leave due to injury. We all know about Colm Wilkinson and others but how come we never heard about an Irish boy playing the lead role in a West End Musical?

On another occasion I was dragged screaming to La Cage au Folles but have to admit it was great fun:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

dubdaymo wrote: »
    ...We all know about Colm Wilkinson and others but how come we never heard about an Irish boy playing the lead role in a West End Musical?

Yeah I always thought there was very little recognition of it over here. To be the lead of any show, never mind one of the biggest West End shows, is a big deal for a performer but for a child it was an absolutely fantastic achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

I thought that they had 3 Billys that rotate in and out, with a turnover rate of less than a year (breaking voices etc). It sounds less impressive to a reporter the more you look into it, even though it is a major achievement.

I thought Billy Elliot was a great play, but the "music" part of the musical was sorely lacking in my opinion. 'Electricity' was brilliant, but everything else was so... nothing. Was quite disappointed in that respect, even though everything else was terrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

AndrewJD wrote: »
    I thought that they had 3 Billys that rotate in and out, with a turnover rate of less than a year (breaking voices etc). It sounds less impressive to a reporter the more you look into it, even though it is a major achievement.

I thought Billy Elliot was a great play, but the "music" part of the musical was sorely lacking in my opinion. 'Electricity' was brilliant, but everything else was so... nothing. Was quite disappointed in that respect, even though everything else was terrific.

They do have three Billys but even that said....it takes some talent - that Swan Lake sequence (and Angry Dance for that matter) are amazing!!

I disagree with you about the music though...I love the Male Voice Choir Element, and how they mix voices in some songs..the kids against the police...beautiful. And The Letter makes me cry every time. Have seen it 4 times now and love it. The only song I don't care for is the Dad's ballad after the Christmas Party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Estera

hi everyone. try :Les Dix Commandements,Notre-Dame de Paris,Spartacus The Gladiator,Cindy, Cendrillon 2002 - all french but worth to watch. regards

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I love a lot of them but some of my favourites are:
    Lord of the Rings (definitely the best!)
    Pippin
    Dance of the Vampires
    Rent
    Barbarella
    Wicked
    and Footlose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Have seen more since I first responded on this thread, so:

1 = Wicked
    2 = Les Mis
    2 = Billy Elliot
    2 = La Cage aux Folles

I can't quite decide which comes second, but all the above are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Have seen more since I first responded on this thread, so:

1 = Wicked
    2 = Les Mis
    2 = Billy Elliot
    2 = La Cage aux Folles

I can't quite decide which comes second, but all the above are amazing.

I know that feeling ;D
    Les Mis is great, too.
    It's the favourite of my mum :)

Unfortunately I've never seen Billy Elliot so far but I definitely want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Zaixora

Definitely Sweeney Todd, 100%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lamanda

Mary Poppins. (Disney)
    Would love to see the stage musical version some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

lamanda wrote: »
    Mary Poppins. (Disney)
    Would love to see the stage musical version some day.
    Saw this recently and got a backstage tour :) Good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MaevelovesNY

WICKED is the BEST musical ever!I love love love it!Would recommend it to anyone!It is both enchanting and funny!!:) Love all the songs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tommybrown

Spring Awakening. It brings tears to my eyes it's so lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AliceLondon

Jersey Boys or The Lion King, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bluebirds

My favorite one is High School Musical!!!
    Love its great storyline and songs, the characters aren't old fashioned and it relates to how today functions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 birdfeet

Of cause my fair lady and Rocky Horror Picture Show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Auction in Action

A staging of Mama Mia here in Phily is my favorite. I guess I grew with that music so it became one of my fave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jennina

My favorite is "Lion King".
    The music's just great! Besides I saw the 'making of' on tv and found it amacing how the Africans learn the songs in languages they don't understand a single word of - and still they can put so much meaning into their singing...I like that, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Irene818

They are many and it is hard to choose one or two. I agree that for Disney they are plenty of good musicals, but the one that I remember now is King Leon song by Elton John. I think my favorite one of all times is West side story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Anky2930

Well there is a long list of that but the one who is my favorite is Mohit chauhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chrismartin4u

Mine is Milk and Honey.........,.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 alice302

we are living in a world full of music, there are so many music for us to listening, and i lovoe so much. now, i am listening the better time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Mame

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jennym11

Hairspray or the sound of music

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

can't decide between Jesus Christ Superstar, Les Miz and the Sound of Music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AsheeBee

Wicked!! I love it, I've seen it 4 times, once being in San Fran. Going again next summer, and can't wait for it to come to Dublin on tour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Les Mis.

Advertisement