Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite musical?

Options
  • 06-09-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭

Well, what's yours?

There's so many to choose from (so no poll before anyone asks), but I think mine is On The Town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Who's On The Town by? I've never heard of it!

I don't think I could pick a favourite... I love Sweeney Todd but I think the film wasn't all that great at all at all...

And I love the soundtracks of Wicked and Avenue Q but i haven't seen either of them... :( I love all the older ones like Oklahoma and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Singin' in the Rain and The Sound Of Music and all of them...

Can Disney films count as musicals too? cos Beauty and the Beast kicks a whole lot of ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cannibal: The Musical, written and directed by Trey Parker of south park fame.

Also the South Park movie and Team America are top notch! they are actually freaking brilliant!!! I must get the South Park soundtrack...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

fonpokno wrote: »
    Who's On The Town by? I've never heard of it!

Resign! :D

Gene Kelly, Sinatra, Jules Munchin, Ann Miller.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041716/

I can't believe you've never heard of it. If you haven't seen it you haven't lived.

NEVER!

I shall hunt it down asap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If you like Gene Kelly then get Anchors Aweigh too. If you haven't seen it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    Beauty and The Beast.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Beauty and the Beast
    The Sound of Music

I haven't seen a lot of musicals, but have listened to the music on cds. I like the music from Rent, Evita, and Phantom of the Opera.

Check out Joss Weldon's musical mini thing http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336630&highlight=dr.horrible :D

Also, I loved the Buffy musical episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I thoroughly enjoyed the production of Les Mes in the Draoicht(sp?) in Blachardstown about 3 years ago, which my friend starred in, that would be my favourite.

I also haven't seen a huge amount of musicals, I would like to see a must-see's thread or some such, so I can get an idea of what to see for the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Coconutqueen

I love love love musicals!:D Couldnt pick a favourite! Singing in the rain, musical episode of buffy, moulin rouge, seven brides for seven brothers, rocky horror picture show, hairspray, chicago, blackpool(brilliant series staring david tenant, david morrissey and sarah parish - get it now), beauty and the beast, my fair lady....I think ill go watch some musicals.:p

• Advertisement

The musical I love which gets me the most abuse from people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Probably because I just watched Logan's Run there earlier and I'm on a bit of a Michael York buzz... but I'll go with Cabaret.

As for Disney... I'd go with Pochahontus... it may not have been the strongest of films but the songs are so well written...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

sweeny todd. I know, what a shock a nocturnal mod picks that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Damn, so hard, too many to choose from.

West side story, Wicked, my fair lady, kiss me kate, Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I love the play with in the play in Kiss me Kate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_Me,_Kate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Phantom of the Opera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Does the Lion King count? If not Beauty and the Beast or Oklahoma

Of course it does! The Disney one or the fancy snazzy one with leaping around and such?

Disney ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Guys and Dolls! I saw it in the west end with PATRICK SWAYZE as Nathan Detroit. It was so so good!

That or little shop of horrors! :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The musical I love which gets me the most abuse from people I know.

I saw Wall-E recently in the cinema, and them songs made me really depressed.

Best musical? Wicked and West side story

WICKED

WEST SIDE STORY

Ah I forgot pocahontus (wrong spelling I think!) and the lion king! Of course grease is right up there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"Bless your beautiful hide, where ever you may be...I don't know yet but I'm willing to bet: That your the gal for me."

Seven brides for seven brothers. (Previously namechecked).
    Howard Keel, barn raising, square dancing and dragging wimmins up mountains to log cabins. The writers didn't move too far from its inspiration; The rape of the Sabine women.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Yay!!! Musical forum!!! :D:D:D

I love love love Wicked,Aida,Hairspray Phantom of the Opera, Oliver, West side story...and any of the disney classics...especially the little mermaid and the lion King!

Saw Wicked and The Lion King in the West End last year!! Were both incredible!! The singing in Wicked blew me away, and the props and staging (i.e the animals!!)in the lion king were incredible!!

Going to see Hairspray and We will Rock You in November and can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ALL THAT JAZZ by bob fosse

most awesome musical ever!

humberklog wrote: »
    "Bless your beautiful hide, where ever you may be...I don't know yet but I'm willing to bet: That your the gal for me."

Seven brides for seven brothers. (Previously namechecked).
    Howard Keel, barn raising, square dancing and dragging wimmins up mountains to log cabins. The writers didn't move too far from its inspiration; The rape of the Sabine women.

That is a fantastic musical. The bit in the middle where they go into the village and have a dance off with the locals is one of my favourite scenes from any musical ever!
    lilmizzme wrote: »
    Yay!!! Musical forum!!! :D:D:D

and any of the disney classics...especially the little mermaid and the lion King!

Saw Wicked and The Lion King in the West End last year!! Were both incredible!! The singing in Wicked blew me away, and the props and staging (i.e the animals!!)in the lion king were incredible!!
    Yay musicals forum indeed! :D Disney rocks.
    Best musical? Wicked and West side story
    I am absolutely dying to see Wicked. I worship the soundtrack. I just have to convince someone with money to take me somewhere with musicals!
    Ah I forgot pocahontus (wrong spelling I think!) and the lion king! Of course grease is right up there!

Ahh Grease was on tv earlier! :) And it's coming back into cinemas for the 30th anniversary! well it'll be in cineworld on Parnell St anyway! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ahh Grease was on tv earlier! :) And it's coming back into cinemas for the 30th anniversary! well it'll be in cineworld on Parnell St anyway! \o/
    dare i hint at the first ever musical forum meet up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

oh so many to choose from....

well i love the old mgm musicals and have discovered more since watching "thats entertainment" and "thats entertainment 2".

singing in the rain is one of my favourites.i particiularly love "make em laugh".donald o'conner was way underappreciated.

oh the disney ones..soo many that i love.lion king is up at the top but so iit beauty and the beast.saw it live before twice and it was spectacular just wish id gotten to see it while it was here this summer.

another one i have to mention is aida.performed it 4 years ago and thought it was deadly.such a touching story.the endings soo sad:(

I.am.going.:D
    I went to see dirty dancing last year in dundrum and it was pure class.
    People singing and dancing along = class.:cool:
    It is now ypur official duty to keep us updated on this!!:p (Seriously.)

Cremo wrote: »
    dare i hint at the first ever musical forum meet up?

Hahaha I was thinking it but I figured I'd give the forum at least a week before trying to convince people to meet up!
    I.am.going.:D
    I went to see dirty dancing last year in dundrum and it was pure class.
    People singing and dancing along = class.:cool:
    It is now ypur official duty to keep us updated on this!!:p (Seriously.)

Ooooh did you see mamma mia! the singalong version?? It is so funny. It's basically just karaoke in a cinema! It is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I've only ever seen Chicago, was very impressed with it

I am dying to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, really really want to see it! The huge child in me also wants to see The Little Mermaid in New York too!

• Advertisement

I've heard fantastic things about The Little Mermaid. My sister saw it last year in New York and loved it!

Advertisement