Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding on Friday/Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hmm i have to drive to Dublin late this afternoon. I hope there will be no floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

I just noticed that the netweather website was forecasting the 1pm+ hours to be torrential for Dublin, how reliable would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Bucketing down in Cork with a strong easterly wind.
    I saw this coming three days ago why didn';t Met Eireann ?
    I would imagine with a high tide this evening Cork will flood

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its started up again here scop, this front could well return later, I think theres still legs in it for the east coastal counties for a while yet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

44.1mm at 13.00! Still bucketing!

• Advertisement

Pretty amazing rain stats here this morning :-
    Rain 
      Date    Time    Rate 
    5/09/08   9:10    11.9   
    5/09/08   9:20    12.7   
    5/09/08   9:30    17.3    
    5/09/08   9:40    12.7    
    5/09/08   9:50    16.3   
    5/09/08  10:00    14.0   
    5/09/08  10:10    12.4   
    5/09/08  10:20    16.3   
    5/09/08  10:30    9.4   
    5/09/08  10:40    10.7  
    5/09/08  10:50    25.7  
    5/09/08  11:00    25.9 
    5/09/08  11:10    18.0 
    5/09/08  11:20    21.1 
    5/09/08  11:30    23.4 
    5/09/08  11:40    22.4 
    5/09/08  11:50    72.4 
    5/09/08  12:00    21.3 
    5/09/08  12:10    4.3  
    5/09/08  12:20    0.0  
    5/09/08  12:30    0.0   
    5/09/08  12:40    28.2 
    5/09/08  12:50    25.7

Brilliant :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Some torrential bursts in past 10 mins, wouldn't be surprised to here of more flooding on the N3. Some strong gusts at times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seems to have died down here in Tallaght... still shocking winds blowing, but at least the rain has diminished :( Horrible horrible day

Brightening up here, wouldnt be surprised to see the sun for a bit before that front starts pushing back down again.
    54.6mm so far, fairly decent total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Flooding here at work in Blackrock. Car park has a river flowing through it - Carysfort Avenue is flooded - there's too much water to walk out and have a proper look but there are waves every time a car passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

43.9mm.

No measurable rain for an hour now.

Quick question. Is that heavy band currently in Munster expected to push eastwards. Also is the heavy band that was over Leinster is it now abated/moved northwards?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain eased off here now too - just some drizzley stuff. Brightning up now here.

46.2mm to date since 4.30am.

Looks like a few hefty showers in the Irish Sea atm - wonder will they make it west before the rainband moves back east?

Have a look at http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb and see what look like little Cbs to the south-east of Dublin.

Still raining heavily, no let up and the clearance is taking its time to reach here. Rivers flowing through the fields!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just back from town, no floods on the N3 between Dublin and Dunshaughlin so far but big flood near the quays in Dublin as you head towards the Pheonix Park, also big flood developing in Pheonix Park itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Council just been around with the sandbags here. I live in a courtyard and some of the older cottages have steps going below ground level into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

45mm and sun is out.

Drizzling now at last, no sign of brightening up yet though.

Raining here again!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Raining here again!

Is it heavy Docarch?

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    Is it heavy Docarch?

Heavy enough - but not as heavy as this morning - probably from those showers following the back of the main rain band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

if anyone is near the dropping well in milltown they should pop down for a look at what used to be the car park and the park beside it. its now a muddy brown river!

If i had time, i'd be down with the camera as its a pretty amazing sight. fire brigade are there trying to get cars out but some appear to have been parked there for the day. :confused:

Showers pushing in here now, faily heavy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Supercell do you maintain the annamoe.net website?

<3 it.

Supercell do you maintain the annamoe.net website?

<3 it.

I do thanks :)

stooge wrote: »
    if anyone is near the dropping well in milltown they should pop down for a look at what used to be the car park and the park beside it. its now a muddy brown river!

If i had time, i'd be down with the camera as its a pretty amazing sight. fire brigade are there trying to get cars out but some appear to have been parked there for the day. :confused:

Took a jolly down to the Dropping Well - havn't seen it like that since Hurricane Charlie! I used to live in the houses opposite.

Was there from approx. 3 to 3.30. As I was leaving the water was still rising fast and I overheard a Garda discussing closing Milltown Road. Firemen were putting on their life jackets! Dropping Well flooded and evacuated with all the staff out on the road (they gave up trying keep the water out around 3.15). All the cars were removed fom the car park except one. As I was leaving, a crane was arriving to try and remove a tree stuck under the bridge (a JCB unsucessfully tried to remove it).

Dodder appears to be bursting its banks along its course as I tried to come back via. Rathfranham but Dodder Road was flooded at that stage.

The usual reason for the the Dodder flooding like this in the past is Dublin City Council releasing water form Boehernabreena resevoir (to stop dam bursting). Obviously, once again (!), Council taken by surprise by the heavy rain!!! On occassions in the past, when heavy rain was forecast, they used to release water slowly days in advance. When will they learn!

If the Council are releasing water, expect more flooding in other areas along its course.

Will post photos later.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Drove home along Beaver Row and the river is the highest I have seen since the time of the Ringsend flooding. The weir at Ashtons is a sight to behold, a raging torrent of brown water and the level is only about 5-6 ft below the footbridge now. At these levels the Lwr Dodder Rd must be flooded in Dartry.

Has just kicked off in Dublin city centre again very heavy.

Posted pictures in photo section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Rain stopped here a couple of hours ago and there have been some glimpses of the sun. Flooding has gone.

Advertisement