Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding on Friday/Saturday

Options
  • 04-09-2008 3:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Sorry to cut across another thread but a warning is needed here. At least 2 inches of rain expected East and South (including Dublin region). Flooding is likely. Water table is full. This system is a beast on Satellite and has more in common with an Autuminal storm. However it will be of tropical storm strength and very heavy rain is expected. Easterly winds will make it feel cold during this episode and they will be strong. If you are in a flood prone area do prepare now - do not wait.

The storm will lose intensity gradually but in a way that a drunk has a hangover so too will this with a wrap around front through the Irish sea. This will lead to more potentially heavy rain through Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

I was planning on taking a trip back to Clare. Beginning to wonder if I should stay put in Atha Cliath. Don't fancy getting held up with floods stopping trains and busses. Are we talking of something of the proportions of the Saturday afternoon about a month ago again? I haven't really been keeping an eye on this one. My broadband has been on it's August holidays lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

UKMO chart for Midday Saturday looks mad:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/charts/FSXX00T_60.jpg

Would be a nice November chart. Cold winds coming down over the Irish Sea...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks interesting, usually heaviest rain direction here is a SE, don't think I've seen a heavy rain bearing NE yet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Imagine having those charts in early January with low isotherms!!! We would all be snowed in:D:D

Would there be a likelyhood of travel disruptions with this system? I'm really thing to figure out whether I should stay put or head back to Clare this weekend. Don't fancy a closed DART line on Sunday when I get back due to landslides again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'm not sure myself squonk about this but one thing I noticed that the met website have removed the mention of "rainfall greater than 25mm" but going on the uk met website and a few other websites it will be alot of rain, but where is the best place to getthe latest charts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

sathome.jpg

Its going to be the South and East worst effected. The West and Northwest should avoid the worst. Met Eireann going for 30 - 40mm.

Do you reckon dublin could be affected by this? There doesnt seem to be any mention of possible flooding by the met office for leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Mad - Biting north easterly here, bucketing rain. If only this was winter!!

Our back door faces NE and only very rarely gets wet. Has to be a really strong NE wind and driving rain/snow. At the moment, it is saturated.

Cancelled the trip home because I didn't fancy trudging through the rain this morning with a bag and trying to manage an umbrella. Good call as it turns out. It was lashing on the way from Pearse this morning. Windy enough too to destroy my umbrella, but it just managed to hold it together to get me in!

Cloud was bombing along in a SE direction in the morning in Skerries, though it was more low cloud/mist really. Now I'm hoping for some sort of clearance for the trip home! I think we'd definitely be looking at some snow inland or further North in the Louth/NI direction if this was January!

• Advertisement

24.9mm rain here so far, lots more to come, probably going to be floods lower down in Ashford and Rathnew again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

21mm and very blowy too.

Tis lashing, 33mm rain so far and rain rate 24.1mm/hr, hasnt dropped below 7mm/hr since I've been up. Its pretty impressive this front. Has to be said - this would be snow nirvana..ahh if only..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

25.5mm now - 1 inch - since 4.30am 9.6mm in last hour and still bucketing.

Usual suspect areas of Dublin would want to watch out. N3, etc.

Vincent O'Shea just on the radio now saying to expect another 20 to 30mm 'in the east'.

Will be fun driving on our floodproof motorways this evening...

:eek:
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    25.5mm now - 1 inch - since 4.30am 9.6mm in last hour and still bucketing.

Usual suspect areas of Dublin would want to watch out. N3, etc.

Vincent O'Shea just on the radio now saying to expect another 20 to 30mm 'in the east' .

should be fun getting home tonight! There are already reports of flooding in Dublin. Will this exceed the record fall that fell a couple of saturdays ago?

How come met eireann issued no warning though?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

thomasj wrote: »
    should be fun getting home tonight! There are already reports of flooding in Dublin. Will this exceed the record fall that fell a couple of saturdays ago?

Would be hard to beat that rain from a couple of Saturdays ago as this is frontal - that was from some intense convective showers/thunderstorms. Having said that you could easily see 50mm today the way things are going!

Loosing satellite signal, a sure sign of really heavy rain around, getting pretty dark too :)

30mm now since 0500.

9mm in the last hour.

28.5mm since 0700.

39.6mm/hr, thats just an insane rain rate for frontal stuff!!
    45.2mm so far..

Edit - 72.4mm/hr now!!!

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    39.6mm/hr, thats just an insane rain rate for frontal stuff!!
    45.2mm so far..

Edit - 72.4mm/hr now!!!

Love it!;)
    33mm here with very gusty winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ejvilla

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice about travelling this evening.. I am/was planning to drive from Cork to Dublin tonight but this weather has me slightly worried. Everything I've read has said the South & East of Ireland will be worst affected so I'm expecting to experience the worst of it.. Do ye think it could actually be dangerous or just a case of taking it easy out there? Any advice appreciated :)

New river outside my front door!!

rain_05_09_08001.jpg

ejvilla wrote: »
    Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice about travelling this evening.. I am/was planning to drive from Cork to Dublin tonight but this weather has me slightly worried. Everything I've read has said the South & East of Ireland will be worst affected so I'm expecting to experience the worst of it.. Do ye think it could actually be dangerous or just a case of taking it easy out there? Any advice appreciated :)

Someone posted earlier that an easterly is a bad direction for Cork too. I would be pretty wary of driving after dark as there is almost certainly going to be flooding around the south and east today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Still lashing rain. I feel sorry for the farmers- they've really had no time for their fields to recover and they're flooded again here this morning.

Pretty biblical rain atm - 38.1mm to date (actually already my wettest day since my records beagn in July '07).

Still no warning on Met E website! I'd say the M50 and radial road are chaos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Well I'm in Dublin 8 and water is seeping a little bit under my front door (old ass terrace house). Some slight drips about the house too :eek: Not good. Doesn't look like it'll be too crazy, but this is a first for me.

Rain finally stopped here, just spits and spots in the breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Excuse my ignorance Supercell, but it stopping in Wicklow would mean that it will stop in Dublin soon or the opposite or we don't know? Normally I'd be indifferent, but we're developing some drips all over the kip here. Soon I'll have to live in a house of buckets!

• Advertisement

42mm and no sign of stopping here, getting heavier.
    The rain you see on radar is going to swoop back down over us later again. Totals will rise much more than forecasted.

Advertisement