Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toughest Climb in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Park in Bagnelstown, down through Fenagh, Myshall, up Corrabu gap, nine stones, ( check route of mount Leinster challenge for this) up to mast. Can spin back down to Borris and around to base again.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Some updates made to a possible list of toughest climbs (added Powers the pot bog road (Comeraghs), and Glengesh (Donegal). Alihies RTE mast went down as the 'road' segment stops sooner. And made some very subjective rating changes !

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ElqKjY8GMgqLqbtfFJYW0lnKTf3_LgZ5r0zxwAm6wS0/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Hi Seve, you didn't see my post on page 27 #404 by any chance? It's more for my curiosity but I think black mountain from omeath should be updated

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Plastik wrote: »
    The descent is fairly rapid alright. The surface is good but a bit bumpy and with the arrow straight sections you're goaded into letting rip or face cooking the brakes. You'd want balls of steel to come close to Janos Kohlers speed on Strava for the descent. Plus a bike like Janos. Too many walkers around to really open it up at the weekend but it's fast. Those few corners at the top come at you very quickly when you're approaching at 70kph.

What sort of bike did he do the 25 reps on? Assume maybe a mountain bike with ultra low gearing and hydraulic disk brakes.

His road bike. Id have to ask about gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Have you climbed Truskmore yet?

seve65 wrote: »
    Some updates made to a possible list of toughest climbs (added Powers the pot bog road (Comeraghs), and Glengesh (Donegal). Alihies RTE mast went down as the 'road' segment stops sooner. And made some very subjective rating changes !

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ElqKjY8GMgqLqbtfFJYW0lnKTf3_LgZ5r0zxwAm6wS0/edit?usp=sharing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

seve65 wrote: »

Went up Glengesh pass last year while on holidays in Ardara. Aside from he stunning views, its one hell of a climb! Has a bit of an Alpine feel with swtichbacks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Have you climbed Truskmore yet?

He must have, it's moved up 2 places :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I attempted Truskmore over a year ago, wasn't very fit at the time, got up around halfway - really tough climb, not surprised it's upto 2nd on the list!!

To get to it you have to cycle through a place called "The Gleniff Horseshoe" - beautiful area.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Did the Sean Kelly Tour 160 yesterday on three hours sleep the night before.
    The climb out of bed at 7am this morning was the toughest I've done in a long while.

Shoco83 wrote: »
    Hi Seve, you didn't see my post on page 27 #404 by any chance? It's more for my curiosity but I think black mountain from omeath should be updated

Added :-)

• Advertisement

395139.jpg
    Truskmore and Gleniff horseshoe !
    395140.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Cheers Seve, didn't think it was gonna be that high up the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Could you add Croaghmoyle Transmitter:

https://www.strava.com/segments/2242055

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Has Cunard in Bohernabreena (Glenasmole up to Featherbeds) been mentioned?

It's an ascent of 268m over 3.2km. An average of 8.4% and max of around 16%. After doing Tickincor on Sunday, I'd say it's very similar, difficulty wise...

https://www.strava.com/segments/1329636

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

SetOverSet wrote: »
    Has Cunard in Bohernabreena (Glenasmole up to Featherbeds) been mentioned?

It's an ascent of 268m over 3.2km. An average of 8.4% and max of around 16%. After doing Tickincor on Sunday, I'd say it's very similar, difficulty wise...

https://www.strava.com/segments/1329636

Number 29 in the list

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

nilhg wrote: »
    Number 29 in the list

Cheers; see it now as Glassamucky - I'd just done a quick Ctrl+F for Cunard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in a similar spirit to joyce's 'can you walk across dublin without passing a pub' challenge - has anyone worked out what 100km or 200km cycle you can do in ireland with the greatest amount of climbing, without retracing your steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

220ish km with 4.7k climbing looping around the Wicklow mountains. Only retrace would be for about 2k in and out of Laragh from Shay Elliot. Could get it to 5.2k climbing going up and down Kippure & turlough hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

in a similar spirit to joyce's 'can you walk across dublin without passing a pub' challenge - has anyone worked out what 100km or 200km cycle you can do in ireland with the greatest amount of climbing, without retracing your steps?

This thread a while back was all about that..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97071581

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... joyce's 'can you walk across dublin without passing a pub' challenge....
    Yup - by going into each pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Happy Zapper

Step in North Tipperary is the hardest climb I have tried. I do it every year on my birthday - its brutal.

Step in North Tipperary is the hardest climb I have tried. I do it every year on my birthday - its brutal.
    No. 16 on the list. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Crocked wrote: »
    220ish km with 4.7k climbing looping around the Wicklow mountains. Only retrace would be for about 2k in and out of Laragh from Shay Elliot. Could get it to 5.2k climbing going up and down Kippure & turlough hills.
    i clicked into this thread (have had a couple of beers admittedly) and read the above post as being in the 'tell us about your cycle today' thread. so kudos is somewhat withheld.

Crocked wrote: »
    I think we'll nominate Crocked to plan the next Evil Ride. Only 2k repetition for 4,700m climbing is good going as there is quite a bit of repetition in the last few Evil Rides - usually three times through Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Coomanaspig , portmagee , co Kerry .

Everyone warned me it was steep last year when I did wrong way round (ring of Kerry , scenic route)

Boy was she hard , I did about a third of it , thought my back was about to give so I chickened out.

Asked marshal at top did many people do whole hill, he said 1 or 2 . didn't feel to bad then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If they ever decide to pave this it would be pretty savage

500m+ up slieve league in less than 5 km, and from the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

retalivity wrote: »
    If they ever decide to pave this it would be pretty savage

500m+ up slieve league in less than 5 km, and from the coast

It would be a sin to pave that ;)

Get yourself a MTB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Happy Zapper

No. 16 on the list. ;)

Yikes - great list, just going through it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Surprised Stocking Lane isn't on the list, from the bottom all the way up to the featherbeds its 7.7k at 5.3%. Never very steep but its very long.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1094691

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Is Ballinascorney/Tallaght Hill not on there?

Advertisement