Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toughest Climb in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

where is the list maintained?

Post 385, on previous page is the latest post with the link.

Maybe a mod could add to the OP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, i somehow missed that. the colour coding appears to be a reference to the county, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

After doing the Mt. Leinster mast road at the weekend I'm glad to see it listed as #1 on the spreadsheet. 39*25 wasn't enough as a climby gear. Closest I've come to putting a foot down on a climb, probably ever, but with so many walkers around pride wouldn't let me :rolleyes:

2.5km at a rare aul speed of .... 9.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Plastik wrote: »
    After doing the Mt. Leinster mast road at the weekend I'm glad to see it listed as #1 on the spreadsheet. 39*25 wasn't enough as a climby gear. Closest I've come to putting a foot down on a climb, probably ever, but with so many walkers around pride wouldn't let me :rolleyes:

Tearing along so, the foot came down for me after the speed dropped to 5kph on this track and the walk of shame ensued. The CX bike is great fun, but the engine needs looking at,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

9! Well done. Knees of steel.

Thats like first 15 of all the people that attempted it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Alek wrote: »

Ah but he was well warmed up:eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

smacl wrote: »
    Tearing along so, the foot came down for me after the speed dropped to 5kph on this track and the walk of shame ensued. The CX bike is great fun, but the engine needs looking at,

Had a walk of shame on this too - pm me for a long list of excuses :pac:

Alek wrote: »

Only in StravaWorld ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is Cunard to Sally Gap on that list? Feels like it should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Brian? wrote: »
    Nominate a climb you're 4th on Strava on. I like your style

Its the Wishbone Ash technique of using a random post to promote yourself:

' I see the price of Strawberries has gone up. Well, that reminds me of a 300k ride I did, bitterly cold out, bucketing down, only had a club jersey and bibs on, brutal climbing...and...er, oh yeah, strawberries '

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

P_1 wrote: »
    Is Cunard to Sally Gap on that list? Feels like it should be
    Cunard to the Military Rd is there at 29th (but not to the Sally Gap).

Often referred to as 'Glassamucky'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Fair play for getting up. I cycled down about 3 weeks ago and struggled to get up to mount Leinster itself. Then I had a chat with myself and said you're here now push yourself on...

Through the gap, did about 500 metres and had another chat, I did the turn of shame which is far, far worse than the walk of shame

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Looking at the list, #54 Black mountain from Omeath, i think should be changed for this route, strava.com/segments/7012248 (sorry can't post links as a new user)

It's about 80% the same except they take a different turn for the mast, this route is slightly shorter but tougher IMO and also the bit that's different is a much better road and doesn't involve a lane

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Jesus well done. I Walked up it a few weeks ago and it was tough. I can't imagine doing it on a bike.....
    And the climb up to the gate doesn't look to simple either.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Friend of mine did it 25 times in one day last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Oryx wrote: »

Jeez that's some penance... how bad did he sin ?
    There's reps and there's this !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Oryx wrote: »

Everesting?

That's some slog I'm not sure I'd want to be coming down the hill tired. :eek:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Everesting?

That's some slog I'm not sure I'd want to be coming down the hill tired. :eek:

Which for many of us would be on the first rep ;)

smacl wrote: »
    Which for many of us would be on the first rep ;)

I'd have to get up there first :D

The descent is fairly rapid alright. The surface is good but a bit bumpy and with the arrow straight sections you're goaded into letting rip or face cooking the brakes. You'd want balls of steel to come close to Janos Kohlers speed on Strava for the descent. Plus a bike like Janos. Too many walkers around to really open it up at the weekend but it's fast. Those few corners at the top come at you very quickly when you're approaching at 70kph.

What sort of bike did he do the 25 reps on? Assume maybe a mountain bike with ultra low gearing and hydraulic disk brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

My main memory of the descent is the smell of my disc brakes burning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I went up Mount leinster to the mast in early June. Hardest few km I've rode on a bike for sure. Took all I had to not put my foot down. beautiful morning for it and I've attached a couple of shots here. The descent isn't nice at all and i didn't let up on pulling the brake lever for more than 4secs maximum.

n34sd1.jpg

ib9kk3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

All this talk of Mt Leinster has me thinking of popping down for a sufferfest up. Any good locations for parking a bit away (20-30km) for a nice cycle too and from?

Crocked wrote: »
    All this talk of Mt Leinster has me thinking of popping down for a sufferfest up. Any good locations for parking a bit away (20-30km) for a nice cycle too and from?

If you just want to do the mast, there's a car park at the base at nine-stones. Further afield you've plenty of options, I usually cycle through Bunclody on my way up to the nine stones, though haven't been up to the mast yet myself.

You could park in bagenalstown just off the motorway M9 or else head into bunclody a bit more of a trek off the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Gowran's about 25-30k away and is not too far in from the motorway if you were driving down from Dublin for example. Also a nice coffee shop in Gowran called Glasraí and Goodies.

I wouln't advise just parking up at the nine stones and cycling up the mast road section as you will need a warm up spin. Also to note to go up the mast road you have to lift the bike through a walkers gap in the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The descent is fairly rapid alright. The surface is good but a bit bumpy and with the arrow straight sections you're goaded into letting rip or face cooking the brakes. You'd want balls of steel to come close to Janos Kohlers speed on Strava for the descent. Plus a bike like Janos. Too many walkers around to really open it up at the weekend but it's fast. Those few corners at the top come at you very quickly when you're approaching at 70kph.

What sort of bike did he do the 25 reps on? Assume maybe a mountain bike with ultra low gearing and hydraulic disk brakes.

No matter what the gearing your are going to have to keep moving at some min speed to stay upright.

For an 85Kg combined weight 161W average @5km/h would be needed.
    6km/h would need 194W. Not sure you could go slower than 5km/h? I went up at 7.4km/h and not sure how much slower you could go and stay upright

Even on 34/34 5km/h is about a cadence of 40. 6km/h is just under 50.

I had a lumpy enough cycle over and back to it, but as it's so high you wouldn't think it looking at the profile.

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My main memory of the descent is the smell of my disc brakes burning up.

These were my brakes !

We were descending in fog, wet surface, walkers walking. I almost went through a set of metallic pads, there was not much left, and when I touched the caliper at the bottom, it hissed. Ouch. Rotor was blue.

I was on 30/34 (heavy touring bike, 16kg or so total) and I managed 7.5kph with a stop of shame maybe 200m from the top.

https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/WLYVvGFNHrgrs4LNkKlpbtWI-AbYP1p0QmuUCfKW9YQ-2048x1371.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Cheers lads, plotting a couple of options on strava.

Buncloudy is probably a little close for a kick off point, and Gowran a little far driving wise. Have plotted a route from Bagnelstown and Tullow. Seems like a lot of small local roads in that neck of the woods which only seem to have one off houses along them so hopefully will be nice roads to tipp around as well.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, plotting a couple of options on strava.

Buncloudy is probably a little close for a kick off point, and Gowran a little far driving wise. Have plotted a route from Bagnelstown and Tullow. Seems like a lot of small local roads in that neck of the woods which only seem to have one off houses along them so hopefully will be nice roads to tipp around as well.

I regularly cycle in an around the area and the roads are in decent shape. If you plan a return trip it's nice to dip the auld legs in the river. :)

Advertisement