Advertisement
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

1246726

Comments



  • Carlow Exchange, speeds were grand last night, only started having speed problems today :o

    BT 3mb


    Capture.JPG




  • tracert tests

    Captur2e.JPG




  • Was having a lot of problems with my connection so I tried a couple of things.
    1) Upgraded firmware on my modem
    2) Plugged out sky and phone line from the master socket and plugged the modem in directly without the splitter.
    3) Restarted everything.

    Now syncing at 7600/572 with speeds around the 6500 mark. Pings are still around 150 which is awful but at least I know my line can handle it.




  • I posted about this on boards.ie a few days ago:

    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055363111

    Im in an even worse situation were my modem wont even get dsl sync between 7pm and 1am. I am on the option 3 package of BT (which is @ 3mbits max).

    I tried calling last night and was on hold for 40 minutes, between 8:20 and 9:00pm I just hung up because I know everybody left at that time.

    I called today and they said they would not address it remotely.

    I said to the guy:

    I have 2 modems a linksys + prestige 600
    Happening on both
    Roughly the same time each day

    It works in the morning, just. At the weekend it worked but it was only syncing at 1905 while it was syncing at 3078 for the last 2 years!

    I asked if they had any reported issues around "BARNA" and he was like, um... no. I also asked why I was on hold for 40 minutes last night and he said "we were very busy last night for whatever reason". HELLO!!!! I am experiencing issues between 7pm and midnight... join the dots!!! Maybe others are too!!!!

    This is a total joke, im now spending 25euro a month more on 3 mobile broadband just to make sure I have a connection :( I am already paying 56euro a month for a landline!!!

    Pierce




  • Although my connection at present is still up & down....

    Overall it has vastly improved. The ping speeds in general are still a bit high but over the past 24hrs way better than the previous day.

    Just opened a favourite youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLBRrUBYg8 and it took 30 secs for the whole 2mins 45secs to download into the buffer. IE it was downloading 5 times its play speed resulting in no waiting.

    Here's hoping the various ISPs and Eircom are on the way to sorting out the mess.

    boo


  • Advertisement


  • P1erce wrote: »
    I posted about this on boards.ie a few days ago:

    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055363111

    Im in an even worse situation were my modem wont even get dsl sync between 7pm and 1am. I am on the option 3 package of BT (which is @ 3mbits max).

    I tried calling last night and was on hold for 40 minutes, between 8:20 and 9:00pm I just hung up because I know everybody left at that time.

    I called today and they said they would not address it remotely.

    I said to the guy:

    I have 2 modems a linksys + prestige 600
    Happening on both
    Roughly the same time each day

    It works in the morning, just. At the weekend it worked but it was only syncing at 1905 while it was syncing at 3078 for the last 2 years!

    I asked if they had any reported issues around "BARNA" and he was like, um... no. I also asked why I was on hold for 40 minutes last night and he said "we were very busy last night for whatever reason". HELLO!!!! I am experiencing issues between 7pm and midnight... join the dots!!! Maybe others are too!!!!

    This is a total joke, im now spending 25euro a month more on 3 mobile broadband just to make sure I have a connection :( I am already paying 56euro a month for a landline!!!

    Pierce

    Hello there

    This issue is unrelated. Your problem is just a line issue. Ask them to log this as intermittent service and ask them to check your telephone line.

    The reason why you are disconnected is because your line can't handle it. This could be due to a fault on the line.

    My advice is for you to check your internal setup. In most cases the problem is there.




  • The Line was serviced 2 months ago due to noise on the line. I can use my telephone to hearts contempt, and its crystal clear?

    Pierce
    Bohrio wrote: »
    Hello there

    This issue is unrelated. Your problem is just a line issue. Ask them to log this as intermittent service and ask them to check your telephone line.

    The reason why you are disconnected is because your line can't handle it. This could be due to a fault on the line.

    My advice is for you to check your internal setup. In most cases the problem is there.




  • This morning I was enjoying 740KB/sec but now I'm looking at 8.1... hmmm 31hr 20min till file download complete... grrr.




  • P1erce wrote: »
    I can use my telephone to hearts contempt, and its crystal clear?

    Quote of the year?? The underline is mine :p:rolleyes:




  • 18mb connection in swords now at a lovely 100kbps download.

    What the hell is going on?


  • Advertisement


  • In the afternoons I get 60kbps and in the evenings I get 15kbps. Neither are good for a 4mb connection but 60kb is obviously preferable.

    318457861.png

    How come when I test my speed I get the above but when I go to download anything, I only get 15kbps ?




  • Hi guys

    I am getting 51kb on 1Mb line tonight tried ringing BT 42 min on phone gave up rebooted my router and got speed of 900kb but for how long :( on the 78.16.x.x range




  • zoom_cool wrote: »
    Hi guys

    I am getting 51kb on 1Mb line tonight tried ringing BT 42 min on phone gave up rebooted my router and got speed of 900kb but for how long :( on the 78.16.x.x range

    On the same IP range... getting 75kb/s on a 3mb/7.6mb/8mb .. Not sure which one it is at the moment.




  • This was working, but now EVERY time I restart the router I get a 78.16 subnet

    If I just disconnect and reconnect without a reboot, it will sometimes pick another IP but the connection authentication fails.

    It's like they are deliberately sending my connection elsewhere to some throttled subnet.




  • Been crawling here in Galway again all evening, finally got a 213.xxx.xxx.xxx address, now got a nice steady 825kb d/l off a 7.6mb sync.

    Gonna try to hang onto this ip, wonder if I can last the 3day lease without a reboot? This messin is startin' to piss me off.




  • Tusky wrote: »
    In the afternoons I get 60kbps and in the evenings I get 15kbps. Neither are good for a 4mb connection but 60kb is obviously preferable.

    318457861.png

    How come when I test my speed I get the above but when I go to download anything, I only get 15kbps ?

    It depends on the upload speed of source that you are downloading from.

    There was a link to a file on these boards before. The files' source had excelent upload. I used it for testing, but cannot find it now.

    Boo




  • have BT gave anyone here an approx date as to when this will be sorted?




  • have BT gave anyone here an approx date as to when this will be sorted?
    BoardsRanger, When I finally got them to admit there was a widespread problem, they explained the work was ongoing and included other ISPs working together with Eircom.

    They were unable to give a date when they expected it to be sorted.

    My post earlier in the week:
    OK. They Have Finally Admitted What The Problem Is

    The problem is directly related to the countrywide upgrade last month
    It is not just confined to BT
    It is with the integration of BT (and UTV etc) into the Eircom
    There are several teams from internet providers and Eircom working round the clock changing and testing
    It is not helped by the fact that the Eircom system is not the same as say the Cisco system of BT

    They do not have a date they expect this to be sorted out




  • great! so could be several weeks!




  • I know the terrible pings are due to interleaving being turned on full which is down to Eircom but is it not obvious that the resellers just won't come out and admit that they simply did not put extra backhaul bandwidth in place to support the new speeds which is not Eircoms fault.


  • Advertisement


  • boopolo wrote: »
    Hi Jermey

    I think you may have missed my follow on post:
    Who told you this information or is this your own assuption?




  • boopolo wrote: »
    It depends on the upload speed of source that you are downloading from.

    There was a link to a file on these boards before. The files' source had excelent upload. I used it for testing, but cannot find it now.

    Boo

    do you mean this one ? http://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/gnoppix/gnoppix-1.0-i386.iso

    Thats the one the BT tech guys get you to download to test your speed. Thats the one that I'm getting 20kbps on.




  • Im sure is a fairly common story now but this week I have called their support 4 times. Twice no one answered after 30mins of being on hold. Twice no one called me back on their ridiculous callback system. I even sent them an email complaint and still nothing.

    Today I contacted Comreg about the whole thing so they can try and sort it and so I stop wasting my time. This whole situation is going on since 29th of July for us which is completely crazy.

    And if Comreg dont sort it ill go to Consumer affairs cos its really a total joke at this point.

    If we are all paying for a service and not getting it then they need an incentive to fix it. The only way that will happen is if they start losing money by either a) having to reimburse customers or b) people leaving and going elsewhere.




  • Makes me angry seeing some of these posts about BT... Some things never change. This is the same BT (Esat) that I was with years ago in dial-up days, on their 'Unlimited' after 6pm and weekend package, who cut my connection off for *drum roll*...... USING IT TOO MUCH!




  • here is the response email from BT - very informative:

    "The issue is still being investigated, we don't have a fix time at present.
    We hope to have the issue resolved as soon as possible.

    Regards,"




  • Just got this. So they seem to taking it seriously.
    BT is aware of a nationwide congestion issue which is causing slow speeds for many of our customers. We apologise if you have already provided any of the information in this email. We need you to run the following tests between the hours of 6pm and 9pm and reply back with the results. This will give us valuable information about the problem while it is happening. We will then have all the information on your connection and setup in one place. This will allow us to log the fault immediately. Thank you for your help and patience in this matter.

    Please send the following account details:

    Full Account Name:
    Home Phone Number:
    Customer Number:

    Direct your browser to http://www.url.ie/qv and save the file to disc. When the transfer rate stabilises take note. There is no need to download the entire file. Please reply with this rate.
    Please do not reply with an image file as this will slow down our processing of your issue.

    What is the name and model number of the router you are using?

    If you are using a 3rd party router, are you able to log into your routers configuration page and reply with the line rate, noise margin and line attenuation?
    Please do not reply with an image file as this will slow down our processing of your issue.

    If you are using a Netopia router:
    Open your Internet browser
    In the address bar type in 192.168.1.254
    This will take you into your routers configuration page
    Click on Expert Mode
    Click Yes, enter expert mode
    Click on Statistics
    Click on DSL
    Please reply with the Max allowed speed, SN margin and Line Attenuation figures
    Please do not reply with an image file as this will slow down our processing of your issue.

    If you are using a Voyager router:
    Open your Internet browser
    In the address bar type in 192.168.1.1
    This will take you into your routers configuration page
    On the bottom left hand corner of the screen you will see the version number. Please reply with this number.
    Click on Advanced on the left hand side and then click on Advanced again when it appears on the main part of the screen.
    Click on System
    Click on Remote Access
    When asked for login details, type admin for the username and admin for the password
    Tick the boxes Telnet and Ping and then click apply
    Click on Status
    Click on Broadband line
    Please reply with the Line Rate, Noise Margin and Line Attenuation figures
    Please do not reply with an image file as this will slow down our processing of your issue.

    If you are using a Zyxel router:
    Open your Internet browser
    In the address bar type in 192.168.1.1
    This will take you into your routers configuration page. The default login password will be 1234
    On the right hand side under Maintenance, click System Status
    Scroll down the page and click on Show Statistics
    Please reply with the Line Rate
    Click on site map on the upper right hand corner
    On the right hand side under Maintenance, click diagnostic
    Click DSL line
    Click on Downstream noise margin
    Please reply with the noise margin and line attenuation figures
    Please do not reply with an image file as this will slow down our processing of your issue.

    If you are using Windows:
    Click Start
    Click on Run
    Type in cmd
    The black command prompt window will open
    Type tracert www.bbc.co.uk and hit return or enter on your keyboard
    Copy all the results and include them in your reply as text. Please do not reply with an image file as this will slow down our processing of your issue.
    Repeat these steps for ftp.esat.net

    This congestion issue is being investigated and the more information we receive from customers the sooner we will be able to trace it and resolve it.

    Regards
    Darragh | BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help | 1890 923 111




  • My speed is still an embarassment. I'll happily do these tests, what's the e-mail I should send the results on to?




  • exiztone wrote: »
    My speed is still an embarassment. I'll happily do these tests, what's the e-mail I should send the results on to?

    The address on my mail is: [email protected]




  • Valentia wrote: »
    The address on my mail is: [email protected]

    Im pretty sure you should use this email - [email protected]

    Ive been getting replies from that one. Just done all the tests and sent them on. I suggest everyone do the tests and send on the information but also inform them that you will be changing ISPs unless it is resolved.


  • Advertisement


  • Well Valentia you must have the magic touch cos they havent answered at all for me even to email. You'd think if they were that aware of the problem and are now admitting it that at the very least they'd post a message on their website...

    Interesting to see what happens when you do provide that info though. We have provided all of that at least 4 times in the past 6 weeks and even to that same support person. It didnt make a blind bit of difference Im afraid...bottom line is that they dont have a bulls notion whats going on :(


Advertisement