Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite armed squad to tackle gangland crime in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

"The bomb has been planted". "Go go go!" icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

metman wrote: »
    A pic I hadn't seen before of an ERU entry team.

picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=759
    Love the little piece coming down on the 2 middle lads to protect the marriage vegetable as it were! :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 exbootie

eroo :There are plenty of units throughout the world with the word 'Ranger' in their unit designation.However,most of these are nothing like ARW or US RANGERS,they have either different roles or are just conventional units.So one cannot say there are 'ranger wings' throughout the world.As for SEALs,that is pure speculation on the journalists part.

No the Royal Irish Regiment rangers actually have combat experience, ;)

To claim the ARW are regarded as a more professional unit (as the article does) then US Navy Seals is one of the most ludicrous things Ive read in a long time. As are the absurd claims that it operates to a higher standard.

"US Navy SEALs in elite forces tests and beaten them."

Total bollocks, the ARW came third in a military comp won by an Italian SWAT team, an Austrian SWAT team came 2nd.

US Navy SEALs are too busy in the Hindu Kush, Sudan and Iraq to take part in charity "comps".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

To come onto a forum and start out by slagging off another poster, not to mention a special forces team, who regardless of what you believe, are all very fit, dedicated, motivated and better trained and experienced than you or I, reads as childish and immature. Don't be a walter, we've got enough of those as is. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

To come onto a forum and start out by slagging off another poster, not to mention a special forces team, who regardless of what you believe, are all very fit, dedicated, motivated and better trained and experienced than you or I, reads as childish and immature. Don't be a walter, we've got enough of those as is. :rolleyes:

You beat me to the punch on this one. :D

NOw I wont even bother replying to the posters comments

• Advertisement

Yer right. :)

The average 18 yr old squaddie in the BA has more combat experience then the most experienced soldiers in the ARW, I am not disrespecting them just stating reality.

If newspapers are going to post articles on the ARW operating at a more professional level then US army/Navy special forces units, who have seen combat ops in theatres around the globe, pointing out that reality is fair.

This is the stuff the SEALS, Royal Marines etc have been doing in the Kush, Sangin, Zumbahlah etc. You tell me about the ARW doing something even remotely on this level and I will eat my words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FcXWZ0XVuw&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

A pic I hadn't seen before of an ERU entry team.

picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=759

SO: "Not another bloody Passport!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Exbootie, all well and good if you're into playing special forces top trumps, but far more suited in the miltary forum than here in a thread about the Gardai, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 patsyjoe

Supposedly what happens is that all the heavy weapons etc are locked in a satelite controled lockbox/safe. when the RSU are repsonding to an incident, they have to get to a certain location where they make contact with an authorising Inspector. when their location is confirmed thro incar GPS, the Inspector hits a button and sends a signal to the safe and unlocks it to allow access to the weapons. the sigs are supposedly being kept in the cabin of the car where the members can get quick access to them.

As a failsafe, ha, if the members give an incorrect location to the Inspector or the GPS shows they are not were they saw they are, the safe won't be opened.

Accordingly to the powers that be, it is the role of the RSU to assist in armed/seige incidents who can contain the area pending arrival of the ERU. should be interesting. Hope it works as well as they say. Might create more scope for us lowly members for a bit of movement if ur not in the 'click'.

armed_201766t.jpg

garda_201762t.jpg

garad2_201764t.jpg

Source; Independent.ie

Comment from former SAS trainers of armed Police in the UK.

“We thought that police firearms officers were far more concerned with their personal image, dressing in body armour and looking ‘gung ho’, rather than their professional capabilities. I’m not surprised at the number of mistakes over the years.
    “There is no assessment of physical fitness, no psychological profiling, nothing. It’s a major problem.”

"One of the soldiers said: “When the tension starts to rise and the adrenaline is flowing, the ‘red mist’ seems to descend on armed police officers who become very trigger-happy. This has been shown time and again in training exercises.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

patsyjoe wrote: »
    Supposedly what happens is that all the heavy weapons etc are locked in a satelite controled lockbox/safe. when the RSU are repsonding to an incident, they have to get to a certain location where they make contact with an authorising Inspector. when their location is confirmed thro incar GPS, the Inspector hits a button and sends a signal to the safe and unlocks it to allow access to the weapons. the sigs are supposedly being kept in the cabin of the car where the members can get quick access to them.

As a failsafe, ha, if the members give an incorrect location to the Inspector or the GPS shows they are not were they saw they are, the safe won't be opened.

Accordingly to the powers that be, it is the role of the RSU to assist in armed/seige incidents who can contain the area pending arrival of the ERU. should be interesting. Hope it works as well as they say. Might create more scope for us lowly members for a bit of movement if ur not in the 'click'.

A lot of supposedly's there:(

Your last paragraph is correct, everything else is off the mark.

There's no remote unlocking system, no GPS, no weapons in the cabin of the car and they are controlled by the regional D/Supt.

Sorry to hear you're not in the "click", don't give up yet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

and i know for a fact that the button to send the gps signal is behind glass which can only be broken by a hammer which can only be accessed by a sgt and inspector turning two red keys at the same time.. If its not done precisly the same time.the mp7s will explode
    Thats true you know.

civdef wrote: »
    Exbootie, all well and good if you're into playing special forces top trumps, but far more suited in the miltary forum than here in a thread about the Gardai, thanks.

Yes, but I was responding to a point another poster made, which was off topic. It was not me who originally went off topic.

exbootie wrote: »
    Yer right. :)

The average 18 yr old squaddie in the BA has more combat experience then the most experienced soldiers in the ARW, I am not disrespecting them just stating reality.

If newspapers are going to post articles on the ARW operating at a more professional level then US army/Navy special forces units, who have seen combat ops in theatres around the globe, pointing out that reality is fair.

This is the stuff the SEALS, Royal Marines etc have been doing in the Kush, Sangin, Zumbahlah etc. You tell me about the ARW doing something even remotely on this level and I will eat my words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FcXWZ0XVuw&feature=related

Ok, how do I put this, go to the military sites if you want to compare military to military.

From what I have experienced the people that shout the most about military abilities and compare A to B tend to be Walters or reserves instead of stand up genuine members of these forces who show more respect to their fellow soldiers.

As for 18 year old squaddies, sorry but the British army are in Afghan and Iraq at the moment whereas the ARW have and will continue too be a part of the fast response units for various UN tours which still remains in Chad and has completed 73 previous overseas missions which is a far higher figure than your average 18 year old squaddie as you put it.

Now Im not doubting the British army is seeing action at this moment in time but no one here is bad mouthing the SAS either for the simple reason that we are adults with sensible brains. If you read the article which speaks of this you will see we dont agree with the writer and accept there is no justification for some of the claims.

However by your own admission the ARW were the highest ranked military special forces (finishing 3rd behind 2 police special forces) in the last campaign (which had over 30 teams in it from all over the globe) which puts your comments above from the SAS trainer into context. I do however accept that neither the SAS or Seals were present at that tournament which begs the question, what are you basing your comments on? Exactly how can you condemn the ARW so quickly?

In UN duty the ARW are currently the first response team in Chad and for all UN missions. The Seals are not involved in any duties. The SAS are present in one region only and thats Cyprus. Now the ARW are not in Cyprus but then again, that might be because the Irish UN duty there is performed by unarmed members of An Garda Siochana.

So are you in the SAS? ARW? or ever faced them in combat? I doubt it. Are you a police officer? ERU, CO19? Very much doubt that either.

Hmmm, just reading your post again, where the hell is Zumbahlah? Theres no such place and I would be confidant that any GENUINE British soldier that has served in Afghan would remember how to spell the areas they served in.

Now why dont you go pick up the latest edition of 'Battleships' top trumps or Janes and make desk judgements.

Karl, subtle as always :D Have you ever thought about a transfer to TSG?

Karl, subtle as always :D Have you ever thought about a transfer to TSG?

Ha ha ha, seriously though. I have looked at jumping ship but its not an option for family reasons. Wouldnt be going from one raining, cold country to another though, give me sun, sea and an easier life. :D

Ok, how do I put this, go to the military sites if you want to compare military to military.

From what I have experienced the people that shout the most about military abilities and compare A to B tend to be Walters or reserves instead of stand up genuine members of these forces who show more respect to their fellow soldiers.

As for 18 year old squaddies, sorry but the British army are in Afghan and Iraq at the moment whereas the ARW have and will continue too be a part of the fast response units for various UN tours which still remains in Chad and has completed 73 previous overseas missions which is a far higher figure than your average 18 year old squaddie as you put it.

Now Im not doubting the British army is seeing action at this moment in time but no one here is bad mouthing the SAS either for the simple reason that we are adults with sensible brains. If you read the article which speaks of this you will see we dont agree with the writer and accept there is no justification for some of the claims.

However by your own admission the ARW were the highest ranked military special forces (finishing 3rd behind 2 police special forces) in the last campaign (which had over 30 teams in it from all over the globe) which puts your comments above from the SAS trainer into context. I do however accept that neither the SAS or Seals were present at that tournament which begs the question, what are you basing your comments on? Exactly how can you condemn the ARW so quickly?

In UN duty the ARW are currently the first response team in Chad and for all UN missions. The Seals are not involved in any duties. The SAS are present in one region only and thats Cyprus. Now the ARW are not in Cyprus but then again, that might be because the Irish UN duty there is performed by unarmed members of An Garda Siochana.

So are you in the SAS? ARW? or ever faced them in combat? I doubt it. Are you a police officer? ERU, CO19? Very much doubt that either.

Hmmm, just reading your post again, where the hell is Zumbahlah? Theres no such place and I would be confidant that any GENUINE British soldier that has served in Afghan would remember how to spell the areas they served in.

Now why dont you go pick up the latest edition of 'Battleships' top trumps or Janes and make desk judgements.

"the SAS are present in one region only and thats Cyprus."

Yer right,all three SAS battalions are not in A-Stan, nor Iraq, the Kush or Somalia rather sitting on their arses in Cyprus. Is that why three members of 23 SAS were recently killed in A-Stan ? I bow to your superior knowledge that because the ARW came third in a charity comp to Italian and Austrian Police units and beat mainly Police SWAT teams and SF units most people have never heard off in orienteering, shooting and other events they are the dogs bollocks, even though the average 18 yr old rifleman in the BA has more combat experience and the ARW have never seen combat. Excuse my poor spelling, that must further make you right.
    They are indeed without ever firing a bullet ones the worlds most experienced SF units, lets ignore the fact the SAS and Yanks have been in dozens of theatres.

"The Seals are not involved in any duties".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plk8fRSsrgc

I dont want to get into debate on this, as the mod said its the wrong thread.

have anyone mentioned that my dads better than your dad yet?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

"....okay look, i've said too much already. I might be putting my colleagues, er...I mean...lives at risk..."
    :P

If you come on to this forum giving it the big un, either put up or shut up fella.

• Advertisement

"the SAS are present in one region only and thats Cyprus."

Yer right,all three SAS battalions are not in A-Stan, nor Iraq, the Kush or Somalia rather sitting on their arses in Cyprus. Is that why three members of 23 SAS were recently killed in A-Stan ? I bow to your superior knowledge that because the ARW came third in a charity comp to Italian and Austrian Police units and beat mainly Police SWAT teams and SF units most people have never heard off in orienteering, shooting and other events they are the dogs bollocks, even though the average 18 yr old rifleman in the BA has more combat experience and the ARW have zero combat experience. Excuse my poor spelling, that must further make you right.

"The Seals are not involved in any duties".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plk8fRSsrgc

I dont want to get into debate on this, as the mod said its the wrong thread.

Ha ha ha, you make me laugh.

Kush is in Afghan, its not a different country you know . The SAS are 'training advisers only' in Somalia. Not in any conflict or battles and the country's civil war is over. In fact its mostly Ethiopian and Somalian soldiers fighting now. They are in Iraq and Afghan, no doubt about that and I didnt debate that point, in fact I agreed

1 SAS unit is on UN DUTY. Thats in Cyprus, you just insulted the very force your crowing about by insulting anyone doing UN duty there. Thats funny.

Now, how is having 4 SAS men killed in Afghan make them better than the ARW who lost no men in Chad so far or during the hostage rescue in East Timor back in 1999?

I wont bother anymore, prove your points by using some evidence other than Youtube for gods sake, its the ultimate tool of the deranged wannabee.

Ah, actually I see you dont rate ANY of the special forces that were at the tournament which was won by the Austrian 'Cobra' squad. Please, enlighten us. how do you rate the Special forces country by country? That sounds like the very thing you would be an expert at.

And my daddy would win, he can pick up houses with one hand!

There's an easier way than that... hey, exbootie... what colour is the boathouse at Hereford?... :D:D:D

There's an easier way than that... hey, exbootie... what colour is the boathouse at Hereford?... :D:D:D
    :pac::D:pac::D
    Lovely.

Ha ha ha, you make me laugh.

Kush is in Afghan, its not a different country you know . The SAS are 'training advisers only' in Somalia. Not in any conflict or battles and the country's civil war is over. In fact its mostly Ethiopian and Somalian soldiers fighting now. They are in Iraq and Afghan, no doubt about that and I didnt debate that point, in fact I agreed

1 SAS unit is on UN DUTY. Thats in Cyprus, you just insulted the very force your crowing about by insulting anyone doing UN duty there. Thats funny.

Now, how is having 4 SAS men killed in Afghan make them better than the ARW who lost no men in Chad so far or during the hostage rescue in East Timor back in 1999?

I wont bother anymore, prove your points by using some evidence other than Youtube for gods sake, its the ultimate tool of the deranged wannabee.

Ah, actually I see you dont rate ANY of the special forces that were at the tournament which was won by the Austrian 'Cobra' squad. Please, enlighten us. how do you rate the Special forces country by country? That sounds like the very thing you would be an expert at.

And my daddy would win, he can pick up houses with one hand!

Please don't communicate with me again.

The Kush is also in Pakistan.

The SAS are with the CIA/Delta in Somalia as well as other places finding live bodies for the guantanumo express. In daily contacts/firefights, A-Stan is nothing like the ARW deployment to Chad.

The Cobra team are an Austrian Police team, please don't compare that to real soldering.

Exbootie, we can end all the waltering easy enough, pm your service number and one of the lads on my team who is ex-reg RMP and currently a skipper in TA/RMP will gladly run you through the box.

If you come on to this forum giving it the big un, either put up or shut up fella.

*3671*89

If I gave the full number potentially you could access my social security details.

Please don't communicate with me again.
    Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Lads how did the conversation go from RSU in Limerick to '' 4 SAS men killed in Afghan '' haha!
    Great to see the rsu lads about, have come across them a few times.

Wow, we bringing this back on topic:eek:...lol...

Yeah, a mate of mine saw them in Cork last week kitting up on the side of the road.. He seemed impressed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Wow, we bringing this back on topic:eek:...lol...

Yeah, a mate of mine saw them in Cork last week kitting up on the side of the road.. He seemed impressed..

It was worth a try Jon lol, the moderator might have noticed my analytical ability, i feel a promotion:D

• Advertisement

Jon do you honestly expect us to believe your mate was impressed in Cork?

Could you take your waltering some place else please. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement