Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite armed squad to tackle gangland crime in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Thanks foinse, wheres these computerised signs???

I think in between the two main lights on the roof,where 'GARDA' is usually written.Obviously,they don't have the signs on when the car is parked in the depot!!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Will the RRU mainly be based in the country or are we gonna see them in the capital too?

Great pics lads , ive been dyin to see these!

donvito99 wrote: »
    Will the RRU mainly be based in the country or are we gonna see them in the capital too?

I don't know about this 'RRU',but I understand the RSU will be based in the cities of Limerick and Cork.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

yeah pilot program is for limerick and cork which will run for 1 - 2 years then re-evaluated and rolled out for other major cities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

donvito99 wrote: »

The RSU will be based in each region across the country. Limerick and DUblin will get theirs first cos they are hotspots.

• Advertisement

eroo wrote: »
    I don't know about this 'RRU',but I understand the RSU will be based in the cities of Limerick and Cork.

:D
    OOPS!

Looking forward to seeing them start in Limerick!I hope they have a piece on the news about the Unit 'rolling out' on its first day...let the gougers know what is coming their way!

If I see a car around,I'll try and get a picture so long as they don't pounce on 'that guy taking photos'! :D

TheNog wrote: »
    The RSU will be based in each region across the country. Limerick and DUblin will get theirs first cos they are hotspots.

I thought Dublin was being excluded due to the national units and numerous DDU's available?

I thought Dublin was being excluded due to the national units and numerous DDU's available?

Damn!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

possibly so, I didn't hear that. The Dubs have good resources (but probably could be better) but down the country we don't have near enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I think in between the two main lights on the roof,where 'GARDA' is usually written.Obviously,they don't have the signs on when the car is parked in the depot!!;):D

Correct, the sign matrix is on the front and back in the centre of the light bar, from what i've seen of the car driving around down here they usually have garda written up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

TheNog wrote: »
    possibly so, I didn't hear that. The Dubs have good resources (but probably could be better) but down the country we don't have near enough.

True but we also have more armed incidents and not nearly enough armed units. You have the 1, repeat it 1, SDU unit on night duty for the entire cities armed calls and no DDU past 2am unless they are on some assignment, post etc which means they cant respond anyway. :rolleyes:

True but we also have more armed incidents and not nearly enough armed units. You have the 1, repeat it 1, SDU unit on night duty for the entire cities armed calls and no DDU past 2am unless they are on some assignment, post etc which means they cant respond anyway. :rolleyes:
    That's interesting.I always thought Dublin was better resourced than that.I suppose the RSU should really be based in Dublin too,as SDU already have enough to deal with I imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Well it appears the RSU's are out in Limerick.

They're having problems trying to shake off a mad clare man with a camera phone;)

CLADA wrote: »

They're having problems trying to shake off a mad clare man with a camera phone;)

The price of fame :D

CLADA wrote: »

Next time I will be less obvious and not wear the Clare jersey!

Garda Commissioner launches Regional Support Units (pilot).

Mr. Fachtna Murphy, Commissioner of An Garda Siochana, has officially announced the commencement of Garda Regional Support Units, which become effective as of Wednesday, 3rd September, 2008.

The Regional Support Unit (Southern Region 1) will commence operations on the 3rd September, 2008. This is the first RSU to go ‘live’ and will initially operate on a pilot basis, subject to a rolling review. Ultimately, it is envisaged that a Regional Support Unit will be established in each of the five Regions outside of the Dublin Metropolitan Region.

The RSU’s will be available as a dedicated resource to provide support to other Garda units engaged in frontline policing in the event of a critical incident e.g. hostage situation or firearms incident. RSU officers have undergone training to a high level over a thirteen week period, which included instruction in critical incident response; tactical deployment; conflict resolution/negotiation techniques; deployment protocols & controls;; entry methods; tactical driving; first aid; the use of less lethal options & firearms and other relevant skills.

RSU’s will patrol as regular uniform Gardaí performing the normal policing functions on a daily basis throughout the Region. In the event an RSU being deployed to a critical incident they will change into tactical dress and will have access to firearms.

Both the tactical gear and modifications to their vehicle (including signage and lighting) when in response mode are such as to ensure that they are clearly identifiable and distinguishable from regular officers.

During regular patrolling duties, RSU’s will remain under the command of the Regional Detective Superintendent and when deployed to a critical incident responsibility will pass to a dedicated, trained Incident On Scene Commander.

To mark to commencement of operations of the Regional Support Units a photo opportunity will be provided at the Garda College, Templemore at 3pm on Wednesday, 3rd September, 2008, presided over by Assistant Commissioner Nacie Rice.

Sorry about the lenght, it's from a press release email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Hopefully well get good pics from the photo op tommorow.

Maybe I will wear the Clare jersey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Photos would be nice :)

• Advertisement

Maybe I will wear the Clare jersey!

Out in public??? wow

Out in public??? wow

Ah sure I'll be in Tipp,every native will remind me of the Munster final!:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Had a look at the RSU car today looks class really impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Just heard on radio that they are "Armed and Ready" as of today! If any1 gets pics, be sure to throw them up!

(Now, bed!)

I'll see what i can do with pics, but it'll be hard enough with an AC around

foinse wrote: »
    I'll see what i can do with pics, but it'll be hard enough with an AC around

The papers will have pics come tomorrow anyway, big photo shoot I would imagine with more tunics than you have seen since passing out

more than likely but if i can get a few then all the better.

Just been out to the square for a look, quite a few gold braids present on a number of hats, so didn't manage to get a pic, it's just one car with a 2 man crew. surrounded by cameras.

Well thanks for trying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

New armed Garda support units begin work

Elite armed gardaí are beginning work today as part of a new regional strategy to tackle shootings and hostage situations.

The 24-member squad, which will have its own uniforms and vehicles, will provide instant back-up to frontline gardaí.

It is the first of five Regional Support Units (RSU) which were pledged in the Garda’s 2008 Policing Plan.

The southern unit covering Cork City, Cork North, Cork West, Kerry and Limerick will initially operate as a pilot and be reviewed on a continuing basis.

“Regional Support Units will provide tactical and firearms support for our frontline officers responding to critical incidents and will enhance the overall level and extent of service that we provide to the communities we have sworn to serve, through a multi-purpose, skilled and well equipped group of personnel,” said Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy

RSU officers have undergone 13-week training period which included instruction in resolution/negotiation techniques, tactical driving, first aid and the use of firearms and less lethal weapons.

RSU officers will patrol as regular uniform Gardaí but when a potentially violent situation occurs they will change into tactical gear and will have access to firearms and less lethal weapons, similar to the Emergency Response Unit (ERU).

Each RSU will comprise 24 hand-picked officers, including supervisors. However, strengths can be increased if deemed necessary.

A basic RSU patrol will consist of two or three officers in a specially adapted marked patrol car.

The general secretary of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors Joe Dirwan gave a cautious welcome to the new units. "We do need that type of response and we do need our detectives trained up to that level," he said.

Speaking on RTE's Morning Ireland today, he said the association had called for armed response units to be immediately available around the clock. However, he warned the crossover between the units and unarmed gardaí could create other targets for criminals.

Irish Times

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement