Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Does anyone do this course and want to tell me about it?"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Yuugib wrote: »
    Ems did u say free fees for eu students as well? hmm.. i m facing the fees next year i think.. tried to research on that topic, but nobody could really tell.. getting a bit worried now.. would be happy to know if anybody went though the whole payin fees system here :)

Where ya from Yuugib? Are you an Irish or Eu citizen? If not you are looking at fees of around €40,000 per year :(
    Originally posted by Sean
    Not true, Irish universities are on the HEAnet which is directly on the INEX (the internet backbone in Ireland), so they wouln't be limited by the current DSL speeds available.

Wow my apologies Sean, it just shows how it changes so quickly in just a few months. Magnet business are now offering a 12 mb product. Still, it isn't technically that amazing. In August, Japan had average speeds of around 61 mb and Korea around 45 mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Gosh i surely hope not, i m not from eu - Russian land that is.. been here for more than 6 years.. mm i hope that will drop the fees down a bit :D

If you've been here for more than six years, apply for your Irish passport now! Seriously that's the only way you'll get free fees. Otherwise you will pay that full amount. You have to be an Irish or EU citizen. As far as I know. My friend is from Sudan and was only six months away from being entitled to citizenship but she still had to pay the fees for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

In first Dentistry in Trinity at the moment, want to know about it, drop me a line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well I know its early days yet as we wont have to funny make our minds up for a few months but I hope to study commerce internation with chinese, 405 points in UCC.

:pwow cool my fren said he wanted to that as well...tbh i didnt think many people would interested in that course ...like there was so many posters n stuff up in ucc when i was up there last//

oh yay anyway i 'd say Chinese is a pretty difficult language to learn but certainly a good choice ... the good thing about Chinese is that there is no need to conjugate nething and no verb tenses and stuff like that which makes it away easier than English french as such........
    =)))

• Advertisement

My friend is doing that in Cork, he hates it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nc0987

Irish is only useful if you are going to work for tg4, which while a nice thought, it isn't exactly a large market otherwise.

Very well said! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Anyone doing Philosophy in Trinity? I would appreciate their opinions.

Am considering it in a TSM with either Economics or Sociology.

Also PPSE is an option.

Thanks.

Anyone doing psychology or psychology with arts in NUIM (seriously considering it!)???? or anyone even know anything about a psychology course in general??

MUCH APPRECIATED IF YA DO!!:D

My friend is very interested in doing psychology and has done a lot of research. Apparently Maynooth has the best course though in Ireland in general the courses aren't that good. So he's going to LA. But Maynooth is apparently not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

My friend is doing that in Cork, he hates it...
    Your friend is doing commerce and chinese in ucc and hates it you say, does he hate the chinese part of what? any info would help

The Chinese part. I think he finds it fairly boring. Don't know the details, I'll ask him next time I'm chatting to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

If anyone has any information on these courses could they please let me know:D

aleyra wrote: »
    Law and Arts at NUIG or Maynooth

my friend is thinking of doing it in maynooth. its a new course so points arnt really known, high 400-low 500 is what people are guessing at. eh, you pick 2 extra subjects out of the arts options (that work with your timetable) and drop one of those in 2nd year. you cant drop law!!! but i take it you know this.. dunno about NUIG but NUIM seems really great, worth considering!!

hope it helped!?

My friend is very interested in doing psychology and has done a lot of research. Apparently Maynooth has the best course though in Ireland in general the courses aren't that good. So he's going to LA. But Maynooth is apparently not too bad.

ooh.. well moving country would probably not be an option for me...but i think it looks great, kinda need to see an inside approach i suppose!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

aleyra wrote: »
    Well maybe the courses aren't all that different so it really depends were ya want to go, were your friends are going etc, brother goes to maynooth and loves it, galway isnt a big city but still has a good nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Anyone doing a physics degree? I'm thinking of doing Physics with Astronomy and Space Science in UCD (either that or Medicine). What kind of opportunities are there for employment or further research? Also, what's the maths like? I find LC maths to be a real slog at times.

Physics with Astronomy and Space Science in UCD (either that or Medicine).

Heh, you sure you know what you want to do? Those are two very different courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Heh, you sure you know what you want to do? Those are two very different courses.

Yeah, I know they are. I originally wanted to do Medicine for the whole "helping people and saving lives" thing, it's a career you can really be proud of. But I get the impression that being a doctor can be a very gruelling and thankless job. I'm kinda interested in physics because I've always been pretty curious about the universe and it would be kinda neat to work for the ESA or somebody.

Aaaanyway, I'm still leaning strongly towards Medicine but it's good to have other options right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm thinking of doing Economics with Geography in Trinity next year. I like those two subjects in school at the moment and find Economics really interesting but I am worried about employment opportunities when I finish college. Has anyone had any experience with these courses? Would they recommend?
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Polarity wrote: »
    Aaaanyway, I'm still leaning strongly towards Medicine but it's good to have other options right? :)

Absolutely, you should have seen how many things I've wanted to do when I was younger. I tried to join the fire brigade when I was sixteen, they wouldn't take me cos I wanted to go to college :) Are you in sixth year? How about work experience? Medicine takes a lot of commitment and it's not like ER at all. For starters nobody looks tired enough in that programme :rolleyes: But it's not thankless. I see people thanking their doctors all the time (I'm a HCA). You're gonna get your grumpy people but you'll get that in every job. Anyway the rewarding part is seeing people get better (course that doesn't always happen and you will have to deal with distressed relatives at some stage). AFAIK though the pay doesn't get good until you're a senior reg.

You could always keep astronomy as a hobby ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hiya, anyone have any info on mulitimedia in CIT? thanks :)

I know of someone who did animation in DL and is finding it very hard to get a job now, most graduates look for jobs abroad, though apparently the course is good. Sorry can't offer anything more constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,657 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I figured if I did the animation in DL I'd aim for pixar or something else. Have family down in florida where a lot of animation studios are anyway.

At the end of the day though you're going to find a lot of IT related jobs (animation too) will have the better job opportunities abroad.

However in the last 10 years students applying for IT jobs has literally halved: by the time you get out of the 4 years its fair to say local employers (including the non-national companies stationed here) will be happy to take a lot of graduates, here domestically in Ireland.

I figured if I did the animation in DL I'd aim for pixar or something else.

Deadly :)

Would have been: but now I aim for places like Blizzard, Bungie and Valve :p

EA is evil. Dont buy their dodgey, glitched up games

Overheal wrote: »

EA is evil. Dont buy their dodgey, glitched up games

But they gave me Need for Speed :D

And they gave me Command and Conquer: but when you need technical support of them they are as thick as planks. One time they replied to me with a 3 page instruction on how to uninstall and re-install my game.

But this is getting off the topic entirely..

Mais bien sur, desolé :) Anyone thinking of applying through UCAS next year feel free to send me a PM I might be able to offer some helpful tips, I've been through it twice already ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Em_2008

Anyone done Multimedia Applications and Web Design in IADT? im really interested in it :) oh or Business n Computing in DIT :) thanks!

Advertisement