Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational disadvantage.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Currently they do, have even visited the ones they wish to go to.
    Currently they think people who take drugs that are not given to them via the dr are stupid.

Education is never wasted, people learn a lot more in college then what is on the lesson plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Currently they do, have even visited the ones they wish to go to.
    Currently they think people who take drugs that are not given to them via the dr are stupid.

Education is never wasted, people learn a lot more in college then what is on the lesson plans.

Oh well that solves that then they won't be doing drugs...sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Piste wrote: »
    Yip I agree, I don't think we particularly need more women in science and engineering, we need more highly skilled people, be they men or women.

True, although if one gender is under represented then it can be assumed there's a smaller pool of potential students in that gender - so inititives to encourage women to study these subjects will help increase the number of people that will consider them.

Sci and tech have these programs to encourage female participation because of the shortage of people, there's no shortage of people going into primary teaching or studying medicine, so there's no perceived need to target the under represented gender.

Re. leaving cert assessment methods - the general assumption seems to be that female students perform better than males when continuous assesment/coursework is marked. The Leaving is the type of exam that males are supposed to perform better - little (or no) coursework.

Or, are girls doing well in the leaving cert because it is an anonymously marked exam; there is no bias due to gender, accent, race, socio-economic stuff - all that can be taken into account is what is written down in the exam script. The hffmphing and 'omg - girls are stealing college places' panic in this thread, is it coming from men who are used to performing well because they are men? Used to their opinion mattering, used to being an authority, used to competing solely within their gender and unable to cope with being beaten by a girl?

So, something else is going on with the gender divide in the Leaving results. If it is due to girls being a little bit more copped on and studying harder due to being slightly more mature than the hormone driven, 'wanna kick the football' boys - maybe boys should start school a year later? Take an extra year out after the Junior cert?

It's not the girls fault that boys are under performing - they shouldn't be penalised for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

ntlbell wrote: »
    Oh well that solves that then they won't be doing drugs...sigh...

What if you got run over by a bus...

I'll tell you what, the world would be a happier place... ..... Sigh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

cuckoo wrote: »
    ?

It had been stated in the thread that the gender imbalance entering medicine was a problem, as the female graduates might want to leave the workforce for a while to have children. Fits was saying that this isn't what should be seen as a problem - that the problem is with the system, not the doctors. Male doctors should also be allowed want to have careers that allow them to spend time with their families.
    And i was saying she missed the point. The point is that GPs are self employed for all intents and purposes. People get sick at all sorts of times, hence GPs work unsocial hours.
    Apparently this could lead to a reduction in the numbers of GPs because female doctors decide to prioritise other responsibilities.
    Childcare is irrelevant in this case, nor is the solution to allow male doctors the same freedom. The point is at 10 o'clock on a sunday night there's no doctor, you see?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ntlbell - quit it. No more warnings. Please don't bait him / her / it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

ntlbell wrote: »
    I never said she "stole" it she was quoting the guy i was quoting her...

your making an assumption on the lady of death based on a study carried out in the uk?

great...

Apologies for misquoting you. ;)

Re the study in the UK; with no similar study carried out in Ireland it is common pratice to extrapolate theories and hypotheses from UK data to fit the Irish scenario. The government does it and occasionally uses it to inform policy decisions so it should be good enough for me. :)

Advertisement