Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational disadvantage.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I had that same old shíte spouted at me when I was in college.
    I was told by one of my course lecturers that I should not be doing electronic engineering.

I was taking up a place a young man needed to get a qualification which would get him a good job to provide for his family and that I would waste mine when I settled down and had children and that most girls went to college to get their Mrs and should only be allowed to do arts courses and not be taking up places on BEng courses.

Where the truth of the matter was right out of college and until I had to give up work due to a back injury sustained while pregnant I earned the higher wage in the house hold and for a period of time was the sole earner with my
    'stolen' qualification.

They knew kids in some form of fashion would cause you to waste the education.

They were right, what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

An education is never wasted. Myself and the kids made fm radios by building the circuits this summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You're a brave poster ntlbell..

An education is never wasted. Myself and the kids made fm radios by building the circuits this summer.

That's great I'm sure the country's benefited a great deal from your hobby.

I hope the person you stole that education from is doing something a bit more useful and contributing to society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

ntlbell wrote: »

I hope the person you stole that education from is doing something a bit more useful and contributing to society
    I think the sort of person who couldn't get a place doing electronics in Dundalk RTC is the sort of person who was going to waste the education anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Should we only get an education to benefit our country? You must hate all those Irish emigrants who stole their fancy degrees and went off working in the states or England.

I am sure it benefited from the taxes I paid in the job I got with my education and the taxes I will pay when I go back to work.
    taconnol wrote: »
    You're a brave poster ntlbell..

He's not brave he just likes to anoy people and have a good argument, as do I from time to time,
    but there comes a point when being devils advocate consistantly gets boring.

I think the sort of person who couldn't get a place doing electronics in Dundalk RTC is the sort of person who was going to waste the education anyway.

/o/z

Piste wrote: »
    Should we only get an education to benefit our country? You must hate all those Irish emigrants who stole their fancy degrees and went off working in the states or England.

No I'm just stating the guy was right she would waste it and did so.

What's to say that she won't go back and use her qualification when her kids are raised? There is no such thing as a wasted engineering qualification.

The problem is not the kids it's her back apparently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Sure why not go back to the old days where women didn't get an education, and you were made leave your job when you got married.

Not contributing to society my arse, hasn't she spent time in the workforce and is currently raising children (a tough job by anyones standards)

Don't know why I'm even bothering feeding this troll!!
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They knew kids in some form of fashion would cause you to waste the education.

They were right, what's the problem?

What's to say that she won't go back and use her qualification when her kids are raised? There is no such thing as a wasted engineering qualification.

The problem is not the kids it's her back apparently?

arrghghg

My back is not stopping me going back to work out side of the home.

My back is not stopping me going back to work out side of the home.

I'm lost so what's stopping ye getting off the backside so?

I'm lost so what's stopping ye getting off the backside so?

Wonderfully post, full of vigor and incitement.
    What makes you think I am sitting on my backside ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Do you use your computer standing up?

I thought that was fairly obvious...

Do you use your computer standing up?

Yup some times, laptop in the kitchen as I potter about working.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Was just reading this article in the Guardian and it reminded me of this thread. Talking about middle-aged people saying things just to be controversial (you're not middle-aged, are you ntlbell?)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/27/television.television

"It actually isn't just men. Often, though, it is about men and women, and it does often pertain to a few core scrambles: has equality gone too far in the distaff direction? Were women better off when they could just have children? Are there any social ills that can't be put down to the women's movement?"

I'm waiting for you to blame the downturn in the Irish economy on Thaedydal's education. Go on - you know you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At the risk of pulling things back on topic, it is not the Irish education system that is biased in favour of women, it's the assessment methods.

Was just reading this article in the Guardian and it reminded me of this thread. Talking about middle-aged people saying things just to be controversial (you're not middle-aged, are you ntlbell?)

I don't know what middle-aged is.

But I fail to see how pointing out that someone ELSE said something to the ladyofdeath and turned out to be right is controversial?

I didn't expect you to get it. That's ok *pat pat*

I didn't expect you to get it. That's ok *pat pat*

Oh the shame :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think ntlbell is even 30 but he likes to act middle-aged/old/curmudgeonly. Don't ya 'belly? Don't ya?! *pinches his cheeks* :p
    Dundalk, it was still an R.T.C. at the time.

The same lecturer accused me of trying to get one of the lads to do my soldering for me as I was letting him have the most use of the one soldering iron we were sharing. He tried to belittle me by demanding I come up to his bench and solder there so he could show the rest of the class how not to do it. It backfired on him as I have been soldering from the age of 12 ( my Dad tought me) and already had 3 city and guilds certs for electronics before I went to college. He could not fault the excerise which I had done in 5 mins which had been the task for the two hour lab session.

We also had the head of dept try to get a female student to give up the course saying that it would be hard enough for her to get a job due to her gender but that the added fact she had epilepsy as far as he was concerned made her unemployable and said he would never dream of giving her a job.

And people wondered why I ran for and became Women's Rights Officer in the Students Union the for the next year.
    That reminds me of that Demi Moore film G.I. Jane.

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think ntlbell is even 30 but he likes to act middle-aged/old/curmudgeonly. Don't ya 'belly? Don't ya?! *pinches his cheeks* :p

The big 29 :P

I'll be 29 for the foreseeable future.

I have lovely cheeks for pinching tho :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Gosh, I hope you are tttp!:) But in case you aren't, define societal contribution.

A parent educated to third level standard makes a serious contribution to society in relation to influencing retention rates in education for their own children and grandchildren. As a general rule, children whose parents are educated will stay in school longer and do better in standardised assessment. This can be attributed to the value placed on education within the home. Studies in the UK (Will post link when i can) show that in the longer term an educated parent positively influences their children to remain in school longer and aspire to more higher status careers which leads ultimately to a greater tax intake. Also such children are less likely to engage in serious, long-term, anti-social behaviour due to engaging with learning and extra curricular activities over a longer period, thus reducing the effects on society of anti-social behaviour.

To say that Thae and women like her have 'stolen' a place is untrue. In the education sector, as in all businesses, demand is the driver of supply. If you examine the develoment of construction and engineering related courses over the past 10 years you will see a fairly significant rise in the number of places in courses dealing with these sectors as a conseqeunce of this increased demand.

Just my 2cc.
    :D

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Gosh, I hope you are tttp!:) But in case you aren't, define societal contribution.

A parent educated to third level standard makes a serious contribution to society in relation to influencing retention rates in education for their own children and grandchildren. As a general rule, children whose parents are educated will stay in school longer and do better in standardised assessment. This can be attributed to the value placed on education within the home. Studies in the UK (Will post link when i can) show that in the longer term an educated parent positively influences their children to remain in school longer and aspire to more higher status careers which leads ultimately to a greater tax intake. Also such children are less likely to engage in serious, long-term, anti-social behaviour due to engaging with learning and extra curricular activities over a longer period, thus reducing the effects on society of anti-social behaviour.

To say that Thae and women like her have 'stolen' a place is untrue. In the education sector, as in all businesses, demand is the driver of supply. If you examine the develoment of construction and engineering related courses over the past 10 years you will see a fairly significant rise in the number of places in courses dealing with these sectors as a conseqeunce of this increased demand.

Just my 2cc.
    :D

I never said she "stole" it she was quoting the guy i was quoting her...

your making an assumption on the lady of death based on a study carried out in the uk?

great...

I got my place like everyone else via the CAO I had more points then needed
    and yes my kids will be going on to 3rd level themselves, both my son and daughter.
    I will be going back to work then the children don't need me to be at home full time.

• Advertisement

I got my place like everyone else via the CAO I had more points then needed
    and yes my kids will be going on to 3rd level themselves, both my son and daughter.
    I will be going back to work then the children don't need me to be at home full time.

What if they don't want to go to 3rd level?

what if they turn into raging heroin addicts..

british gas, it's good to be in control..

Advertisement