Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

F1ngers wrote: »
    I used this place earlier in the year when my phat died(YLOD). http://www.computerrepairs.ie/console_repair.html

Are you handy with a screwdriver?

Just looked threw half of that video do you reckon id be best to send it in to get repaired found place called console repairs ireland.

Or would it be handy enough to install myself? I mean i have installed hard drives on sky hd boxs and similar things is it of the same difficulty ?

Which way costs less?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just looked threw half of that video do you reckon id be best to send it in to get repaired found place called console repairs ireland.

Or would it be handy enough to install myself? I mean i have installed hard drives on sky hd boxs and similar things is it of the same difficulty ?

Which way costs less?

It wouldn't be any harder than that, video is pretty decent.

If you're unsure, get a repair place to do it for you.

Cost for you to do it is price of drive.

Price for them is cost of drive + labour(€80 for my repair), but you also get a warranty on the part installed.

So bout 80 euro get drive fixed probley cost bout same if not more to buy new drive and have it shipped out take longer as well.

See that place is in talla i might call up 2morrw and see only live down road.

Thanks for the help so bloody pissed off now though was annoyin playing fifa 11 :(

So bout 80 euro get drive fixed probley cost bout same if not more to buy new drive and have it shipped out take longer as well.

See that place is in talla i might call up 2morrw and see only live down road.

Thanks for the help so bloody pissed off now though was annoyin playing fifa 11 :(

€80 to get it fixed, I would say parts are extra - unless they can repair your blu-ray.

Don't bring plugs or cables with you. I brought them with me and was going into town for beers after and they still wouldn't take the plugs off me.

€80 to get it fixed, I would say parts are extra - unless they can repair your blu-ray.

Don't bring plugs or cables with you. I brought them with me and was going into town for beers after and they still wouldn't take the plugs off me.

Sound ill call in in the morning if i have time how long did they take to fix yours?

• Advertisement

Sound ill call in in the morning if i have time how long did they take to fix yours?

I brought it in on a saturday and I was unable to collect it til the following friday, which I informed them at time.
    I picked it up on the friday.
    I don't know when they had it ready.

Ok brought it in yesterday got it fixed within the hour 100 euro new laser for the drive. Working fine again now :) just pitty bout the 100 feckin euro!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dub31

Hi,
    I have the original phat PS3, and UPC broadband 5mb . I've recently gotten a wireless router (netgear N2000) and setup playstation but it seems to be running slower when streaming video. I checked the download speeds by using the PS3 to check and it came back with 4.9MBPS but when I use speedtestnet it comes back with 1.6MBPS. Is there any reason why these should be different ? Or anybody any ideas how to fix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DelBoyCORCAIGH

My ps3 is telling me i have 100% connection but when i test it,it wont work.It says failed when trying to get an internet connection:mad:

Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Does anyone know why some of my PSN messages aren't notifying me of being received, and the only way to know if someone's messaging me is going through the received message list?

It's only for some messages that they don't show, from random people. Pretty annoying seeing an invite / semi-important message sitting in the inbox, after a person has logged off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I've linked my Facebook account to my PSN account via the accounts settings on my PS3 and set trophies to update without promoting me, however they do not seem to be updating on Facebook.

Is there some configuring I need to do on Facebook, a particular application that I need to install or allow, or is it just a case of an amount of time needing to elapse, 24 has passed since I won a particular trophy and it hasn't updated yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dohcturbo

sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

dohcturbo wrote: »
    Which Laser for Ps3 60gb?

Which Laser for Ps3 40gb?

I ordered a KES-400AAA for the 60gb and got a KES-400A.
    Whats the KES-400A for :confused:

Iv looked at all the graphs and still cant figure it out.

Any help would be great.
    That sounds like it deserves its own thread in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Gael Uirbeach

conas atá sibh? ive one of the original "chunky" 60GB PS3s. Cant remember how old it woud be but I got it close enough to when it was released in Ireland, just tried turning it on the other week, turns on alright but the screen is always black, I can heard the console running, all the lights on, takes and ejects cds grand and the bluetooth controller connects fine. I thought it might be my tv or hdmi cable but if tried several different ones and and all the same, the console runs but the screen stays black. any ideas?

maith agaibh

Malice_ wrote: »
    That sounds like it deserves its own thread in fairness!

PS3 Technical Problems - Questions and FAQs

Is that not the heading on this thread.
    Was my question not a technical problem?

But thanks for the help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

dohcturbo wrote: »
    PS3 Technical Problems - Questions and FAQs

Is that not the heading on this thread.
    Was my question not a technical problem?

But thanks for the help ;)
    I didn't mean to imply you had posted in the wrong place, just that you might be better off starting a separate thread so that a more in-depth discussion can take place. Superthreads like this one can move quite fast so your post could easily be missed. A separate thread would be less likely to be missed.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I didn't mean to imply you had posted in the wrong place, just that you might be better off starting a separate thread so that a more in-depth discussion can take place. Superthreads like this one can move quite fast so your post could easily be missed. A separate thread would be less likely to be missed.

No bother, i figured it out anyway.
    A is the laser, and AAA is the laser and deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

I recently was doing a system update on my PS3 (3.50) but after downloading, when it was installing the update at 72% it comes up with the above error. It suggests killing mains power and restarting the PS3, after doing this, it starts installing the update again but with the same result. I cannot get to the PS3 menu screen cause every time I start the system, all this happens. Help anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you can't get into the regular system menu to apply the update because your update wasn't finished you should:

Download the update to a USB drive on a pc as it probably was corrupt before.

Plug in a USB drive with the update and power on the system using the consoles power button NOT the controller.

Hold the power button down on the console until you hear 3 beeps, then release it.

It should bring you into the console's recovery system where you can update via the internet or USB drive without needed the main system firmware to run in case it was corrupted

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

I tried this Varik but when i hold the power button it beeps once then beeps twice then shuts down

• Advertisement

I tried this Varik but when i hold the power button it beeps once then beeps twice then shuts down

Start with the ps3 in standby (red light only)

Hold the button and it will beep 2 time then turn on and then while still holding it it will beep again once and shut off after which you now let go of the button.

Now hold it again from standby(red light state is was left) and it will beep once then twice quickly and all of those 3 beeps will happen near each other.

1.Restart System
    • Reboots console

2.Restore Default Settings
    • Restores ALL PS3 settings
      • Sign-in ID and password for PlayStation®Network
      • Bookmarks, history and settings added under (Internet Browser)
      • Information about the image set as wallpaper under (Photo)
      • Terms added using (Settings) - (System Settings) [Add/Edit Term], or predictive terms "learned" by the on-screen keyboard
      • Keyboard or mouse settings under (Settings) (Accessory Settings)
      • Voice changer settings under (Settings) (Accessory Settings) - [Voice Changer]
      • Theme, color, background and font settings under (Settings) - (Theme Settings)

NOTICE : This option does delete profile sign in information Email and passwords but activations for downloaded content remains.

3.Restore File System
    • (Restores the PS3's Firmware's File System to Original state)

4.Rebuild Database
    • Restores the PS3's Database all Pics,Music,Video and games directory's, File names are returned to default OS is rebuilt

5.Restore PS3 System
    • When you perform this operation, all data on the hard disk will be deleted. Also, the system software will be restored to its default settings. Be careful not to accidentally delete important data as the changes cannot be undone. Data loss or corruption is the responsibility of the user.

6.System Update
    • Update the PS3's firmware or reflash the current firmware, use new copy on usb stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭george67

Hi is it possible to make recording to ps3 or hard drive of yourself in a game ?
    Thanks

george67 wrote: »
    Hi is it possible to make recording to ps3 or hard drive of yourself in a game ?
    Thanks

Some games have that feature and there is a simple video editor now on the ps3, but if the game doesn't have it you need some sort of separate video recorder like a dvd/hdd recorder but some may give problems with recoding off a ps3.

george67 wrote: »
    Thanks

You can ask about recording gameplay on this forum, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1377

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

smokedeels wrote: »
    I've linked my Facebook account to my PSN account via the accounts settings on my PS3 and set trophies to update without promoting me, however they do not seem to be updating on Facebook.

Is there some configuring I need to do on Facebook, a particular application that I need to install or allow, or is it just a case of an amount of time needing to elapse, 24 has passed since I won a particular trophy and it hasn't updated yet.

working now, albeit intermittently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Hey guys. when im going to play MOH online im getting this messhage when i connect my cable

The latest update data for this software has been found.
    To sign in and use this software, you must update the software to the latest version.
    The system will quit the software and start installing
    Version 1.01
    ok

When i enter this the screen goes blank and the PS beeps 3 times and restarts but doesnt install the software. Can anyone help.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Hi All,

Thinking about getting a PS3 for the release of GT5 (if that ever happens). I'm wondering are there any models which were more troublesome or more reliable than others and if I don't have a broadband connection, would there be any issues with firmware updates? I'm thinking about getting a secondhand fat one from game and adding the console insurance too.

I remember back in the day, a mate had a original PS1 with loads of weird ports in the back and it wouldn't die. It outlasted loads of the newer models.

Thanks

Played DR2 last night and turned off PS3 via the controller.
    Turned it on this morning and got "Hard drive corrupted - restore required". Clicked OK.
    Was very slow moving, but now seems to be stuck at 48% ~25minutes. (Do not turn off the system).

Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how long did it take to restore.
    It's a slim, if that makes any differance.

EDIT - Apparently it takes up to 4 hours...Guess New Vegas will have to wait til after lunch.

Update: Cannot Start, correct hard disk not found.
    Tried the advice given by Varik a few post back but no joy.
    Ah well, found the receipt and will head up to GAME on wednesday...

Update: Cannot Start, correct hard disk not found.Tried the advice given by Varik a few post back but no joy.
    Ah well, found the receipt and will head up to GAME on wednesday...

Have you tried formatting the drive in a external case or in a PC and when you say cannot start does that mean because of the HDD or not at all any more?

But honestly formatting will get rid of everything and you'll be in the same position as with a new PS3, try for a new model with the newer sizes and the lower power consumption.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Have you tried formatting the drive in a external case or in a PC and when you say cannot start does that mean because of the HDD or not at all any more?

I have no way to format it externally, and I don't want to either in case they say I did the damage then. Warranty and all that.

When I do the "from standby, hold the power button", it goes through the beeps and then after a couple of minutes it says "Cannot Start, correct hard disk not found".
    Varik wrote: »
    But honestly formatting will get rid of everything and you'll be in the same position as with a new PS3, try for a new model with the newer sizes and the lower power consumption.

Hopefully they will be out of 120GB and with a bit of luck I will get a 160GB off them.
    I have my original, almost dead phat PS3 with most of my game saves on it, just takes a while to transfer them over.
    My trophies are safe, sync'd before turning off the other night.

Advertisement